Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 18:23   #166
Senior - BHPian

I am loving the posts of Arka.

But I fear the thread is heading in the same direction as the previous Thar thread which was closed.

Mods: Please don't close this thread too.
Old 14th May 2010, 19:04   #167
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

I was off the forum for a day and couldn't believe that just in over 24 hours this thread has close to 8 thousand views.

There are many recipes that have turned out to be wonderful end products when they were served on the table, it is secondary what spices went into making it and what process it went through.

This is one hell of a hit recipe for a new generation off-roader and cruiser combined into one. I have seen it from two perspectives once when I drove it and second when it was driven, the performance is phenomenal.

There are improvements needed like in the styling and comforts, which are being worked upon very earnestly by BD, it is not at all easy for what he is trying to achieve before it comes to us. He is working very hard and from our end Deepak and I have given our honest opinion and pointed out areas of improvement.

Sir Behram and Spike, do take special note of what (Dr. Shom) SS_Traveler has pointed out as required. His inputs are most valuable amongst others.

Please reserve your judgment until you test drive this beautiful machine. It is coming your way just be patient.

Arka, you were on my mind when I was behind the camera and witnessing Deepak driving it, many doubts will be dispelled once you are behind the wheel.

Regards,
Old 14th May 2010, 19:41   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
For all family offroaders: please have a look at this modification done to an invader. Does it solve your requirements?

Pictures from FaceBook album of a person called Robinson Sebastian - a friend of Shibu Varghese (JEEP CAPTAIN).
Red Liner, Thanks buddy.Thanks for posting the pics here. I have already done it in 4x4 pics thread.Robinson just got his invader ready today early morning and its already on this Thar thread!! interesting.
You are right - This invader is Robinsons effort to make a family offroader where he can travel to Kerala on weekends from Bangalore (550-600km) and do offroading.It has come out too well but i dont even want to think about the money he had to spend to make it looking like this.

So I am buying a Thar!! DB Sir Keep one ready for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Superb. I could have never imagine that "ugly looking" Invader can look like this. Really beautifully done.
pradipk,It has builit in rollcage and the Hard Top is fiberglass with Acrylic Windows for safety and light weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilchakola View Post
Invader is Amazing buddy...
sunilchakola, Yes it is buddy. You should see it in flesh.
Old 14th May 2010, 19:44   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why do you say so. Jeep wrangler is a jeep and has all features to be family friendly (AC/Power steering etc.,)
Hello...! I'm talking about here as in India.
Yeah they have Cherokee too.
Hummer, Disco and the lot. Then they are not Jeeps are they ?

I guess my point was misunderstood.

Quote:
There is no jeep in the market which is family friendly. Gypsy has terrible ride, no Power steering or AC in stock form and no front facing seats at the rear. How can you call it family friendly
The same Gypsy is "much" better elsewhere. say what ?

Quote:
Well thats your choice!
But of-course, anyway this was meant as Joke and was not "at you".
Old 14th May 2010, 19:50   #170
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your valuable inputs

DKG, FAZAL, Milecruncher,
I envy you guys, being a guy who would manage the brand i get to drive THAR ON road and you guys test it evaluate it and enjoy it OFF road..Bahut na insafi hai mere dost!

On a serious note, it was great meeting you guys and thanks for your inputs both on marketing and vehicle engineering front. I feel Mahindra is so fortunate to have die hard fans like you all!(Arka Included)

Today i was there at the 4x4 track set up in hyderabad CII show. Believe me guys there is a world outside our fraternity who would want to try out a thing about off roading once in a while for fun. I was surprised that some people were screaming inside the jeep on that simple 4x4 course!! Thar i presume will cater to a larger mass who would want a jeep like looking vehicle in their garage and can climb over that big rock if required.
Old 14th May 2010, 20:02   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
.. being a guy who would manage the brand i get to drive THAR ON road
Thar i presume will cater to a larger mass who would want a jeep like looking vehicle in their garage and can climb over that big rock if required.
So this is it.. this is what the Thar is about? Climbing a rock if required?? And this is coming from a guy who will be managing the THAR brand..!!!

I had so much hopes based on an excellent review by DKG & Fazal. Par yaar, tumne toh Thar ka tar tar kar diya
Old 14th May 2010, 21:04   #172
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Some people (SS Traveller, adc etc.) have great expectations of the Thar being used as a family tourer, with essentially price being the sticking point. However, I feel the dealbreaker will be the interior space. To me, it is essentially a two seater. And asking family members to sit in the rear seat for any length of time, forward facing or not, is a surefire way of landing in divorce court.

Can the people who have used it comment on the space angle.

Sutripta
Old 14th May 2010, 21:33   #173
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Why tear out IFS if it is so good and do any mods
You want me to spend 100 pages here debating with you and Arka why it doesn't need mods? I'd rather have you buy the vehicle with the plan of ripping out the IFS and slotting in FFRA after three years. After three years of using the Thar everywhere in India we'll discuss the need for the mods again shall we?

You don't need to mod the Thar. Start thinking about what ICE you will fit. I want all the army trinkets like blackout lights, grab handles and stuff like a highlift jack, a spade, a crowbar, warn 8274, roll bar, get a spare set of extreme offroad tyres (make a rack for them so I can cart them to a OTR location), the headlamp protectors, perhaps the insect netting ahead of the grill, just ordered a bells and whistles GPS for it (should arrive any minute), jerry cans for water and fuel, just might plan a bunker bed in the back so I can camp out in the car, a cooking stove for some tea and light food cooking, traction ladders over the roof, multi million watt spot lamp...man the list is endless.

After all I intend to disappear into the wilderness once a year for a good three weeks simply exploring this land I deeply love.

So much for modding the Thar !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Four adults can sit very comfortably in the Thar when you have the rear forward facing seat. Ofcourse getting into and out of any 2dr car can never match the ease in a 4dr.

There's loads of space in between the front two seats. Actually an adult can sit comfortably on a seat you can install there.

Lets say you want to do long distance driving in it, its extremely comfortable in terms of space for 4 adults.
Old 14th May 2010, 21:35   #174
Senior - BHPian

Out of context:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
So this is it.. this is what the Thar is about? Climbing a rock if required?? And this is coming from a guy who will be managing the THAR brand..!!!

I had so much hopes based on an excellent review by DKG & Fazal. Par yaar, tumne toh Thar ka tar tar kar diya
This is the perfect example of quoting out of context...... My way of handling things is a little different, keep it low and if it suprises no one would complain!
Old 14th May 2010, 21:36   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Some people (SS Traveller, adc etc.) have great expectations of the Thar being used as a family tourer, with essentially price being the sticking point. However, I feel the dealbreaker will be the interior space. To me, it is essentially a two seater. And asking family members to sit in the rear seat for any length of time, forward facing or not, is a surefire way of landing in divorce court.

Sutripta
+1 to that. A very valid question and i'm glad you brought it up Sutripta cause we were discussing everything but the family angle here!
Old 14th May 2010, 21:57   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Four adults can sit very comfortably in the Thar when you have the rear forward facing seat. Ofcourse getting into and out of any 2dr car can never match the ease in a 4dr.

There's loads of space in between the front two seats. Actually an adult can sit comfortably on a seat you can install there.
Used to call that space special (reserved for GF and eunuchs)

Lets say you want to do long distance driving in it, its extremely comfortable in terms of space for 4 adults.
Tourer means people + luggage. Having some experience of the various MM Jeep form factors, I would be sceptical. However, I must add I've never even seen the Thar, let alone test drive it. (MM: there is a place in India called the NE).

OT. For lifestyle purposes, would you buy the Thar, or a SV650/ ER6n?
Old 14th May 2010, 22:08   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
So I am buying a Thar!! DB Sir Keep one ready for me.
Shibu, what will the be the count then??

Quote:
However, I must add I've never even seen the Thar, let alone test drive it. (MM: there is a place in India called the NE).
NE means Kolkata na?

Spike
Old 14th May 2010, 22:10   #178
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tourer means people + luggage. Having some experience of the various MM Jeep form factors, I would be sceptical.
Its no Innova in terms of interior space and comfort for long distance travelling. There obviously will be a trade off here. The SWB limits space and the 2d body style doesn't make things convenient. But you do have space for stuff. You have room for luggage over the rear wheel arches and behind the rear forward facing seat and under it.

Last edited by DKG : 14th May 2010 at 22:12.
Old 14th May 2010, 22:13   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
NE means Kolkata na?

Spike
North East actually.

Sutripta
Old 14th May 2010, 22:17   #180
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT. For lifestyle purposes, would you buy the Thar, or a SV650/ ER6n?
I ride a VFR so for me its the Thar and exploration into India's wilderness far and wide.

Those bikes will be awesome but you can involve the family in so much more with something like the Thar

Will be checking out/riding some Harleys this weekend

Last edited by DKG : 14th May 2010 at 22:19.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks