Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2010, 11:10   #196
BHPian

Hi
Very neat review. So Mahindra has got one more winner up their sleeves. I will definitely test drive the vehicle once its launched. Hope mahindra's pricing is right.
Cheers
Old 15th May 2010, 11:23   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Must be backed by a decent service network.
This is another area where Mahindra needs to improve. Their service advisors have no idea about what off roading is and what all needs to be changed after water fording for example.

I've had numerous funny and some not so funny experiences with 2 difference Mahindra Service Centers in bombay over the past 7 months.

One example:
When i went to pick up my jeep after a service, the advisor told me that the jeep just left for a test drive. The jeep comes back after 10 minutes and the driver is grinning and gives me a thumbs up saying all fine. I get into the car and see that it's in 4Low. I ask him why did he drive it on tarmac for 10 minutes, he says: "to test if it works".
When i questioned him about transmission wind up, he just drew a blank.

So Mahindra really needs to train it's service people well to back up the Thar.
Old 15th May 2010, 12:20   #198
Muzungu

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

What is the purpose of 2wd THACAR? What segment is it targetted at and what models is it going to replace?

A better bet is to make it only a 4wd fun vehicle and price it correctly [you guys know i mean 5 lakhs, but lets not closed this thread too!!! ]
@ headers, i agree with what you want to say regarding the price factor for a 4WD THAR to make it a success with the 4WD community, which is growing page by page, thanks to TBhp!

people those who bought 4WD Fortuners, 99.9% of those owners will never be going offroad, now toyota wants to reduce the price by few lakhs by offering it in 2WD.

what i meant when i said MM should come out with a 2WD for those who wants a JEEP and add bling bling to it and go around the college. (this is purely for increasing the sales).

well to make it a success in 4WD avatar, MM should keep the price in and around the Gypsy, so that is in reach of EVERY 4WD enthusiast in this country!

hey does any body knows anybody who is buying a SA THAR and getting into India?

Old 15th May 2010, 18:03   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
This is another area where Mahindra needs to improve. Their service advisors have no idea about what off roading is and what all needs to be changed after water fording for example.

I've had numerous funny and some not so funny experiences with 2 difference Mahindra Service Centers in bombay over the past 7 months.

One example:
When i went to pick up my jeep after a service, the advisor told me that the jeep just left for a test drive. The jeep comes back after 10 minutes and the driver is grinning and gives me a thumbs up saying all fine. I get into the car and see that it's in 4Low. I ask him why did he drive it on tarmac for 10 minutes, he says: "to test if it works".
When i questioned him about transmission wind up, he just drew a blank.

So Mahindra really needs to train it's service people well to back up the Thar.
I would have bit and chewed off his trachea .........Then talked.
Dr.Jones
Old 15th May 2010, 18:41   #200
BHPian

You don't need to mod the Thar. Start thinking about what ICE you will fit. I want all the army trinkets like blackout lights, grab handles and stuff like a highlift jack, a spade, a crowbar, warn 8274, roll bar, get a spare set of extreme offroad tyres (make a rack for them so I can cart them to a OTR location), the headlamp protectors, perhaps the insect netting ahead of the grill, just ordered a bells and whistles GPS for it (should arrive any minute), jerry cans for water and fuel, just might plan a bunker bed in the back so I can camp out in the car, a cooking stove for some tea and light food cooking, traction ladders over the roof, multi million watt spot lamp...man the list is endless.

After all I intend to disappear into the wilderness once a year for a good three weeks simply exploring this land I deeply love.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr.Jones

Last edited by drjones : 15th May 2010 at 18:48.
Old 15th May 2010, 18:49   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
After all I intend to disappear into the wilderness once a year for a good three weeks simply exploring this land I deeply love.
drjones,
I too love every part of India, which place is foremost on your mind you intend to disappear for three weeks, I too have similar aspirations with the THAR and family.
Regards,
Old 15th May 2010, 20:00   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
drjones,
I too love every part of India, which place is foremost on your mind you intend to disappear for three weeks, I too have similar aspirations with the THAR and family.
Regards,
Doc Jones, Cant believe you and the THAR combo. I'll be surprised if the front suspension hold up for 2 days with you.

But let me add, you WILL LOVE THE VEHICLE. Maybe we could ask M&M for some vehicle for our local challenges.

What say M&M?

I would also like to applaud Fazalaliadil and Deepak for being the unofficial brand ambassadors for the THAR.
Old 15th May 2010, 23:51   #203
Muzungu

if its under 7 big ones on road (Hardtop & AC), i will take one in white. i guess i have to spend another 1L on making interiors 'family friendly' and comfortable!

thats 8 big ones on the road for a 540 lookalike!

Old 16th May 2010, 08:53   #204
Senior - BHPian

I am very sure that the 4x4 will not be less than 7 big ones on the road!!
Old 16th May 2010, 09:46   #205
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I am very sure that the 4x4 will not be less than 7 big ones on the road!!
The Scorpio Getaway 4x4 is 10 lacs on road in Hyderabad. I reckon the Thar would be 8 -8.5 lacs on road (includes insurance and lifetax). At that price it could have the a/c and hardtop included.

The i20 diesel is approx 8-8.2 lacs on road in Hyderabad I think, and that's a 1.4

Last edited by DKG : 16th May 2010 at 09:50.
Old 16th May 2010, 09:53   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The Scorpio Getaway 4x4 is 10 lacs on road in Hyderabad. I reckon the Thar would be 8 -8.5 lacs on road (includes insurance and lifetax). At that price it could have the a/c and hardtop included.
come on deepak

you are actually suggesting that one can pay 8L+ for a vehicle that has basic 4wd, a pushrod engine, and an old 540 body.

I am beginning to imagine the old blue and white 540s with this engine zipping in town. The HT is usually made by some outside firm i forget the name. One will hardly avoid water leaks during monsoon.

Be fair, let the price not go over 6L onroad.
Old 16th May 2010, 10:02   #207
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Be fair, let the price not go over 6L onroad.
A Major 4x4 is 5.5 for the 4x4 if I remember correctly. What is a crdi + a/c+ ps+hardtop worth? 50 k? You are serious?
Old 16th May 2010, 10:04   #208
Senior - BHPian

Dear Vikram,
I would also like Thar to be priced at 6L on road. But, i think it isn't practical.
A new hard top Gypsy in 2009 costed me 6.2 Lakhs on road. Like you know, this comes with no PS, no AC, no bells and whistles. Not that am complaining
Compare any petrol with diesel variant, for a diesel motor, one would pay atleast 75K more.
That already brings the mark to 7 lakhs. If you would include AC, PS and stuff, i do not know how they can sell it at less than 7.5 lakhs.
Maybe i am wrong somewhere. Would like to hear your thoughts.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 16th May 2010, 10:08   #209
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
A new hard top Gypsy in 2009 costed me 6.2 Lakhs on road....

Compare any petrol with diesel variant, for a diesel motor, one would pay atleast 75K more.
And don't forget this is no longer BS4 compliant. The option of a BS4 Gypsy no longer exists !

Will Maruti offer a BS4 new generation Gypsy at 6.2? It will inch to 8.2
Old 16th May 2010, 10:18   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
And don't forget this is no longer BS4 compliant. The option of a BS4 Gypsy no longer exists !

Will Maruti offer a BS4 new generation Gypsy at 6.2? It will inch to 8.2
Hi Deepak,
Maybe you are right. I just compared the ex-showroom price difference between a Petrol and Diesel L*i series swift and it is a lakh.
If Maruti provides a BS4 compliant petrol Gypsy, my guess on its price would be 6.5 lakhs.
So, a diesel equivalent with AC and PS would surely come to the 8Lakhs mark.
Cheers,
Deepak
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks