Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 11:01   #241
BHPian

This is very unique with Mahindra’s, they do this especially if they have coil in front and leaf at the rear and if what “zaks” says hold good then probably the “original Jeep” and “Humvee” designers need to learn this from Mahindra!!. Also, we are here discussing a INR 6.5Lks plus vehicle (remake / upgrade MM540 though) in the yr 2010 and we still don’t expect coil springs at the rear (expecting independent rear suspension would be too much I believe). But why? Does it limit off road capability? If “No” how tough is it for Mahindra guys to at least cut / copy / fit the rear differential / axel assembly from Scorpio to start with? Otherwise, attached are some pic’s from basic Google search, if this can upgrade the thought process. BTW, at the cost of INR 12Lks even the Scorpio's rear miss this :-(
Attached Thumbnails
Thar she blows !!-t_irs.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 17th May 2010, 14:12   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu Krishna View Post
But why? Does it limit off road capability? If “No” how tough is it for Mahindra guys to at least cut / copy / fit the rear differential / axel assembly from Scorpio to start with? Otherwise, attached are some pic’s from basic Google search, i

A basic google search is easy - Cut copy paste of a vehicle is NOT

BTW, one needs to specify the parameters for ONROAD performance and handling OR OFFROAD capabilities and abilities.

Trying to have both on the same vehicle is ALWAYS a compromise IMO.

Maybe BD and Spike / MM team could elaborate this better.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:32   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu Krishna View Post
But why? Does it limit off road capability? If “No” how tough is it for Mahindra guys to at least cut / copy / fit the rear differential / axel assembly from Scorpio to start with? Otherwise, attached are some pic’s from basic Google search, if this can upgrade the thought process. BTW, at the cost of INR 12Lks even the Scorpio's rear miss this :-(
All IFS vehicle without traction aiding devices will have a severe limitation in terms of off road capability. You have this kind of system on vehicles like Honda CRV, Captiva, Montero and even on Discovery and Range rover. You know that CRV, Captiva and Montero can go no where because of this lay out.

As far as Thar is concerned, IFS at front is a design limitation. The rear solid axle with leaf spring tries to compensate for loss of articulation.

p.s- I presume you will see the rear suspension layout you have mentioned in a vehicle by Mahindra very soon
Old 17th May 2010, 17:56   #244
BHPian

Not in a while yet...

Maybe this is old news but I actually went to the Thar page, took the Mumbai number called the international sales several times. Got through today and asked about the Thar. The gent on the other end stated that he couldn't let me know for another two or three months. Please prove him wrong.

Regards,

Chaunfa
Old 17th May 2010, 18:48   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
At 45 degrees C here at Hyderabad, Deepak was enjoying the Thar, like a kid who has found his long lost toy and was growing in confidence as each second passed and the machine just performed and out performed all expectations on a stock set up.

The torque did most and 80% of the test drive the Thar was not engaged in 4X4 mode.

Attachment 347504

Attachment 347505

Attachment 347506

Attachment 347507

Attachment 347508

Attachment 347509

Attachment 347510

Attachment 347511

Attachment 347512

Attachment 347517

Attachment 347518

Attachment 347519

Attachment 347520

Attachment 347521

Attachment 347522

Attachment 347523

Attachment 347524
Going up in reverse.
Attachment 347525
Reciprocal time.
Attachment 347526
Apparantly this looks exactly the same as the MM550. One of the visible differences is the high profile Sandgrips. Apart from that how different are the two vehicles.
Old 17th May 2010, 20:42   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hey I thought you were impressed with the vehicle and was one of the prospective THAR buyers price irrespective ..

Ofcourse at 6L bracket DKG is suggesting I would imagine M&M is giving:

1. Better switchgear [read wiper switches]
2. Fog lamps,bull bar and winch as OE, infact a PTO winch is better.
3. GOOD AT tyres
4. Clear lens HL and TL
5. Comfortable seats with INERTIA reel seatbelts
6. 6.5J alloys

Apart from AC, PS, CL and removable HT.

A lakh more and i would want

1. Pneumatic suspension [adjustable from cabin]
2. F & R Diff locks operated from cabin
3. Optional crawl GB [factory fitted]

Cheers
Vikram, looks like you need a Bowler Wildcat at 6-6.5 Lakhs OTR . If you get one, let me know I'll also be in queue
Old 17th May 2010, 21:10   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
May I know why you're asking?
Come to think of it, Variable power bias between the two axles like in the Nissan Skyline or WRC cars would do a lot of good.
The leitmotif "the Thar does in 2wd what others can't in 4x4". Balance, traction, feel: all affected by weight bias.

Variable power split entirely different kettle of fish. Needs a fairly sophisticated central diff.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 17th May 2010, 22:49   #248
Senior - BHPian

Would be nice if..

All 2wds get IFS because anyway they are road/comfort oriented

All 4wds get the solid axle front to please the hardcore OTR buffs.

Isin't that how the Bolero is/was?

Last edited by Mpower : 17th May 2010 at 23:05.
Old 17th May 2010, 23:03   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Deepak & Fazal - thank you very much for the wonderful "A Wednesday" we spent together last week in Hyderabad. "12 May 2010" will be a day in my career that I shall never forget. It was like the very rare Hindi film which keeps you gripped without a dull moment at all ("A Wednesday" is one such film). The dessert after the biryani was pure Hyderabadi fare and I loved it. My beloved "black cat", the Thar loved it too. We heard her, merrily purring along like a cat should, burning the mean streets of Jubilee Hills in Hyderabad after the "demonstration OTR", didn't we?

Dear all - thank you for your comments and please keep them coming. I won't comment on the OTR. And by the way, after Spike and I left for the airport, my great driver just sprinted the "black cat" back 700 kms overnight to Kandivli, Mumbai within hours from Hyderabad ("mazaa aaya saab" - he told me)..

I was in Kandivli today. I saw her. Waiting. She looked at me like a lean mean black cat would. Tank full, she is ready. Patiently waiting for my command to sprint her to the next city to "prowl". Let's see now, there is this big IT savvy city in South India, it's name starts with the letter "B" I think. It's "only" a 1000 odd kms away from Mumbai. Good for my non stop overnight "chamcha" sprint (accelerator pedal is known as "chamcha"). Let's see now, 150 kmph between Panvel / Pune and Pune / Belgaum. Kolhapuri Chicken, here I come. When? . HeHeHe.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2010, 23:15   #250
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Deepak & Fazal .....
That was indeed a fun day !! Now please release the vehicle quickly so we can start sprinting across the length and breadth of the country enjoying nature and friends at OTR's
Old 17th May 2010, 23:18   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Let's see now, there is this big IT savvy city in South India, it's name starts with the letter "B" I think. It's "only" a 1000 odd kms away from Mumbai. ......Kolhapuri Chicken, here I come. When? . HeHeHe.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, When ru going to bring it to the nearest city with the letter M?
I could hardly drive it in Hyderabad.
Bangalore guys get ready to pounce on Thar with all your might!

p.s - Sir, you are making my job easy:-)) lol
Old 17th May 2010, 23:39   #252
Muzungu

im going to call the MM dealer in dubai and try to find out if they know anything about THAR!

Old 18th May 2010, 00:15   #253
Senior - BHPian

IT-savvy Black Cat

Quote:
... Let's see now, there is this big IT savvy city in South India, it's name starts with the letter "B" I think. It's "only" a 1000 odd kms away from Mumbai. Good for my non stop overnight "chamcha" sprint (accelerator pedal is known as "chamcha"). Let's see now, 150 kmph between Panvel / Pune and Pune / Belgaum. Kolhapuri Chicken, here I come. ...
Sir, there is also this big city in South India, whose name used to start with M, but now starts with C. Any plans to bring the "Black Cat" to this part of the country? We dont have Kolhapuri chicken here, BUT the local chicken curry can get quite 'tikka' ...not sure if the 'Black Cat' will like that, though .

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 18th May 2010 at 00:19.
Old 18th May 2010, 00:28   #254
Team-BHP Support

we are ready and raring to go, some more rains and it will be just perfect for some mud trials.
Old 18th May 2010, 02:47   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
we are ready and raring to go, some more rains and it will be just perfect for some mud trials.
Half day: AvalaKonda
next half day: Pearl valley
Next day: Sakleshpur?

Plan is ready..
star_aqua is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks