Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 13:22   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Can some one please change the title of this thread ?
In my opinion "she blows" in contemporary slang is not a compliment at all but equivalent to "she sucks' or even nastier.

PS : "Thar She blows" even in classical sense is used for beached whale sighted , A beached whale is something not required as an offroader. If my understanding is wrong please correct me.

Not a "Beached" whale but a "Breached" whale. Something that has broken the surface of the water either to breathe or to breach (jump out of the water forcefully).

I don't understand why up in arms about the thread title. I never, for even a moment, associated it with the activity you suggested until your post. Absolutely unnecessary
Old 20th May 2010, 13:24   #332
Team-BHP Support

Any vehicle if modified, loses warranty coverage. This is true for the old jeeps or new jeeps.
forget thar, even if you fit lockers on your "ideal jeep" capable of taking 100 tonnes and jumping from a 100 foot cliff without breaking axles, you will still void warranty. Whats the point of this discussion w.r.t Thar.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:26   #333
DKG
Senior - BHPian

If a component fails as a result of loading/stresses caused directly by the kind of variations in use an owner subjects the vehicle to, the warranty will not cover it. This will become apparent to a mfg as only one off cases will appear

If a component fails in a function where load factors are not directly affected by variations in owner usage it will be covered under warranty. This will become apparent to a mfg because enough number of cases will emerge.

Last edited by DKG : 20th May 2010 at 13:32.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:31   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not talking major mods. I'm referring to let's say a single leaf breaking during one of Mahindra's own Great Escapes. Will it come under warrantee?

The point of discussing this wrt to thar is that BD has claimed that company will sell it as is to keep price low, but you should change tyres, remove the rear benches, etc to make it more off roadable. And isn't that the Thar tag - lifestyle 4x4?

EDIT: I'm also not talking user abuse like clutch riding, driving into a wall, etc. I'm talking basic component failure during off roading.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 20th May 2010 at 13:34. Reason: see edit
Old 20th May 2010, 13:32   #335
Senior - BHPian

Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Any vehicle if modified, loses warranty coverage. This is true for the old jeeps or new jeeps.
forget thar, even if you fit lockers on your "ideal jeep" capable of taking 100 tonnes and jumping from a 100 foot cliff without breaking axles, you will still void warranty. Whats the point of this discussion w.r.t Thar.
Hi TSK,

Are you sure about the Fixing of After Market Lockers and LSD.

I suggest you follow up on the American JEEPing scene, with regard to after market off-road upgrades and their effect on warranty.

I don't know if a JEEP can carry 100 Tonnes, but an FFRA has much better chances of surviving can survive such a drop, If you have been to a circus you will recall that all the JEEPs had the Willys MB Rear Axle.

Regards,

Arka
Old 20th May 2010, 13:43   #336
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
BD has claimed that company will sell it as is to keep price low, but you should change tyres, remove the rear benches, etc to make it more off roadable
Interestingly we had the same conversation with BD understood his POV differently.

To me what he meant is because of CMVR they have done things the way they have done on the Thar.

Now if we as offroaders desire changes its entirely our prerogative. He agrees you can enhance performance with say mud groove tyres etc but its too late in the day to offer them on the Thar as you need to get further approvals for even something like a tyre change and the resultant change in emissions I gather
Old 20th May 2010, 13:47   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Interestingly we had the same conversation with BD understood his POV differently.

To me what he meant is because of CMVR they have done things the way they have done on the Thar.

Now if we as offroaders desire changes its entirely our prerogative. He agrees you can enhance performance with say mud groove tyres etc but its too late in the day to offer them on the Thar as you need to get further approvals for even something like a tyre change and the resultant change in emissions I gather

Hi DKG,

We understand the CMVR and the Red-Tape bit.

What if something like this is happens.

Bodge Rover - Simex Jungle Trekkers

Regards,

Arka
Old 20th May 2010, 13:48   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, i recall him mentioning CMVR too. But this is my precise point. If i change to Mud Terrains and something goes wrong, will Mahindra tell me to take a hike? I'm speaking from experience with Toyota not letting one change punctured tyres on the Prado. And the damn tyres cost 30K each and have to be bought from Toyota only.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:49   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....its too late in the day to offer them on the Thar as you need to get further approvals for even something like a tyre change and the resultant change in emissions I gather

DKG, BD sir, Spikey and THAR team, can you please educate/enlighten me as to how a tyre change will result in a change in emissions
Old 20th May 2010, 13:49   #340
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
If you have been to a circus you will recall that all the JEEPs had the Willys MB Rear Axle.
You noticed that as a kid? Wow !

All I ever did was laugh at the jokers and marvel at the trapeze artists !! And get tense when the tigers and lions were out !!
Old 20th May 2010, 13:55   #341
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
how a tyre change will result in a change in emissions
I may be misquoting Vikram. Actually this discussion happened because the tyres on the Thar I tested were not the ones that will come on regular production versions. BD was impressed by how the tyre performed and while the standard tyre apparently has far greater onroad capabiilty this one was good offroad. I suggested they release the car with this tyre when BD and Spike were discussing the ramifications of the change. I thought I heard about "everything changing" when you do that and have to go back to ARAI with new data. I thought I heard emission too, but I could be wrong. BD and Spike are qualified to answer the technicality of how emission is affected, if it is.
Old 20th May 2010, 14:23   #342
Senior - BHPian

gm CO2/ Km

Quote:
I may be misquoting Vikram. Actually this discussion happened because the tyres on the Thar I tested were not the ones that will come on regular production versions. BD was impressed by how the tyre performed and while the standard tyre apparently has far greater onroad capabiilty this one was good offroad. I suggested they release the car with this tyre when BD and Spike were discussing the ramifications of the change. I thought I heard about "everything changing" when you do that and have to go back to ARAI with new data. I thought I heard emission too, but I could be wrong. BD and Spike are qualified to answer the technicality of how emission is affected, if it is.
CO2 emissions are measured in g/Km. Now if you change a tyre spec, the g/km will change as the bigger tyre will cover more distance. So essentially g/Km will come down. But bigger tyres will also result is change in acceleration / pick-up so that may also result in some change in emissions.

Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 20th May 2010, 14:29   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Deepak and all - Road speed in kilometers per hour = engine rpm * 2 * 3.1416 * dynamic rolling radius * 60 whole divided by gear ratio * axle ratio * 1000. Obviously on chassis dynamometer the number of revolutions the tyre makes per kilometer run will change so the emissions will get affected as the engine speed across the range will vary. Also, coefficient of rolling resistance will change if tyre is changed, affecting emissions.

By the way, emissions does not mean "PUC". Emissions is measured on chassis dynamometer at a pre-determined cycle with the vehicle run on rollers as if it runs on road, all the exhaust gas is collected in plastic bags and chemically analysed. This is the simplest way in which I can put it.

People have spent 40 odd year careers only in ECL (emission certification laboratory). ARAI Pune is the right place to reference as it has a very good ECL facility. Emissions is my favourite subject also.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2010, 15:22   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
I suggest you follow up on the American JEEPing scene, with regard to after market off-road upgrades and their effect on warranty.
Arka this is apna India! All the american warranty claim and laws don't mean a thing here. We have a budding consumer court system, maybe in another decade or two we can start hoping for all such videshi previlages.

For the time being forget M&M, no manufacturer in India will offer regular warranty claim for any offroad damage. It will be more of goodwill coverages here and there based on the relation you have with the dealership, who are the best to convince or fool the manufacturer lol

Moment activity moves out of road spectrum, insurance wont even cover.
Old 20th May 2010, 16:55   #345
Senior - BHPian

In my knowledge i dont think Mahindra has ever declined a warranty just because of slight change in tyre size or even pattern. Warranty is a sensitive issue which is driven by policy and in some cases judgemental.

The owner must not abuse the vehicle just because it is sold as a tough off road vehicle. If it is genuine M&M is quite liberal. Iam saying this based on my dealership experience. Customer satisfaction is important but if there is an abuse, then company knows to put its foot down.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks