Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 10:21   #361
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
but on such a short notice we cannot squeeze out 6 Days
I thought you had agreed at the beginning of the Western Ghat Expedition thread that June would be okay with you. Please see if you guys can still manage to come. It would be super fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
you definitely know how to pull the trigger.
i really do want to see the monsoon season develop into a 4x4 carnival, where all of us can get together once a year and have a blast. Really keen the entire gang from Chennai join in too.

We should ideally have the circuit like this:

Start off in Rajmachi
On to Goa
Coorg
Palar

The other sector we should develop is the Himalayan belt

It would be wild. I see people coming in from abroad to take part in such marathon OTR's
Old 21st May 2010, 12:26   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

We should ideally have the circuit like this:

Start off in Rajmachi
On to Goa
Coorg
Palar
You are EVIL

Only if your dreams come true it would be a super marathon effort in pulling it off.
Old 21st May 2010, 12:47   #363
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are EVIL

Only if your dreams come true it would be a super marathon effort in pulling it off.

I had broached the subject with both Sanjay and Arka and they are positive about building up a expedition style scenario. They have some ideas too. Please help in making it happen.

I think between the Bombay, Chennai, Bangalore and Hyd offroaders we should be able to make this happen once a year.

Vinod you want to call it the Thar Trails and sponsor it? I guess you could expand the scope of MGE to do this too

Here's how it should work

You drop off your Thar or other Mahindra 4x4 at the nearest Mahindra dealer.
Car gets transported to the OTR location or nearest city where you can fly in
Do the Thar Trail for a couple of days 4-5 days
Fly back and the Thar/Jeep gets transported back

Mahindra organises the event, taking care of recovery, route management, food, fuel, tents/camping stuff if required

Ideal offroad family vacation? I think so! Only diff is in my case I will want to drive across the country for it and don't mind the extra days I have to factor in.

Last edited by DKG : 21st May 2010 at 12:56.
Old 21st May 2010, 13:02   #364
BHPian

These pics came from

Mahindra Thar - SA 4x4 Community Forum - The only forum for the offroad and 4x4 enthusiast

will the same be released in India?
Attached Thumbnails
Thar she blows !!-frm-4x4communitycoza-2.jpg  

Thar she blows !!-frm-4x4communitycoza-3.jpg  

Thar she blows !!-4x4communitycoza-1.jpg  

Old 21st May 2010, 13:03   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra organises the event, taking care of recovery, route management, food, fuel, tents/camping stuff if required
Deepak,
How on earth can you manage such to come up with such well drafted out ideas?
Beats me again and again.
Regards,
Old 21st May 2010, 13:11   #366
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Times have changed Fazal. People are willing to pay for conveniences. Most people can't take too much time out, but can afford to pay for a 5 day trail driving vacation if Mahindra organises it, ships their car to the destination, takes care of all other logistics.

I think it will work.

I remember the Gulf News Fun drive started off as a small event but over the years became a huge hit with offroaders, and it was primarily a family fun day out.

This ofcourse is a wilder concept where you lose yourself in wilderness, offroading with some optional trekking combined for a minimum of 4-5 days.

Such an event will start drawing offroaders from around the world I feel.

Porsche has the concept of driving holidays. When I get my 911 I would want that in India too

Last edited by DKG : 21st May 2010 at 13:12.
Old 21st May 2010, 14:25   #367
Senior - BHPian

Infact, M&M can go a step ahead and lend their vehicles for the trails.

If, the guys fly down to the destination, enjoy the M&M vehicles over the trail as well as get to enjoy the trails, then it becomes even better

Now, what does Mahindra get and achieve.

1. Mahindra gets free publicity!!!
2. A free evaluation of all their vehicles by novices and experts
3. Free feedback on their products
4. Getting more customers

Last edited by headers : 21st May 2010 at 14:39.
Old 21st May 2010, 14:28   #368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't think any manufacturer will do that.
And any manufacturer who does that will def add in a lot of NDA's.
Those agreements will prevent any information coming out unless vetted by the manufacturer.
Old 21st May 2010, 14:31   #369
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If, the guys fly down to the destination, enjoy the M&M vehicles over the trail as well as get to enjoy the trails, then it becomes even better
Yes they could do that. But the only problem with that is people unfamiliar with offroad driving will prove to be a diasaster. You don't organise a event for people in the Himalayas when they've never driven an offroader !!

This has to be for people who have owned a 4x4 Mahindra and used it for a while to be comfortable with various aspects of offroad driving.

They could perhaps hold a briefing camp in home cities and then once you clear the briefing you are set for the real adventure.

Mahindra could identify trails of increasing difficulty. That way owners have something to keep coming back to. Successfully completing the hardest trail should be about as difficult or easy as climbing mount Everest

They could issue a badge for the car as it completes trails of increasing difficulty. Jeeps building up an amazing history of accomplishments.

Last edited by DKG : 21st May 2010 at 14:32.
Old 21st May 2010, 14:48   #370
Senior - BHPian

Actually it is workable, 6-8 Thar's.

Identify experienced off-roaders and have 2 of them in each jeep, rotate them every 2 hours. Call it THE OFFICIAL THAR OFF ROAD TEST.

The prelims can be held at Hyderabad so that Deepak and I can treat all members to a on site cooked Hyderabad biryani and all. I love food, still don't know how much.

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 21st May 2010 at 14:50.
Old 21st May 2010, 14:49   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I don't think any manufacturer will do that.
And any manufacturer who does that will def add in a lot of NDA's.
Those agreements will prevent any information coming out unless vetted by the manufacturer.
If the manufacturer is cock sure about his vehicle, he can give with for the trails. Its like you drive the vehicle and give your feedback to them.

Quote:
Yes they could do that. But the only problem with that is people unfamiliar with offroad driving will prove to be a diasaster. You don't organise a event for people in the Himalayas when they've never driven an offroader !!

This has to be for people who have owned a 4x4 Mahindra and used it for a while to be comfortable with various aspects of offroad driving.

They could perhaps hold a briefing camp in home cities and then once you clear the briefing you are set for the real adventure.

Mahindra could identify trails of increasing difficulty. That way owners have something to keep coming back to. Successfully completing the hardest trail should be about as difficult or easy as climbing mount Everest

They could issue a badge for the car as it completes trails of increasing difficulty. Jeeps building up an amazing history of accomplishments.

A lot more structure could be added to what is suggested, but it has to start somewhere..

And knowing jeeps from the M&M stable, they are pretty solid and tamper proof vehicles in general.

The issues which have been stated in the THAR thread could be tested too..
Old 21st May 2010, 15:16   #372
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the manufacturer is cock sure about his vehicle, he can give with for the trails. Its like you drive the vehicle and give your feedback to them
Vikram you forget a critical element.

No manufacturer is in the business of getting only feedback. They ultimately are in it to sell a product that delivers an experience desired by many.

M&M will organise this if it sells more Thar's. Its all about selling an experience. As word spreads more and more people will buy the Thar to experience this special leisure sport.

M&M don't need you or me to get feedback. They already have qualified experts to give them feedback 24x7

We are talking about creating a whole new world of experiences for Thar owners so more and more join the fray and the 4x4 leisure industry grows.

Its all economics. After all at the end of the day there is no such thing as a free lunch. We pay for our pleasures. Isn't that how the world works?

There's sound business sense behind conducting the MGE. Now the time has come for the MGE to grow in terms of its scope so owners will see an entire lifetime ahead of fun and learning and more fun. That's how you plug offroaders in a market ! Chrysler created the Jeep Jamboree just for this purpose. The Camel Trophy had a similar effect on LR sales.

Last edited by DKG : 21st May 2010 at 15:20.
Old 21st May 2010, 16:18   #373
Senior - BHPian

Call it "Tharmageddon"

Get a bunch of Thar Jeeps together and put them in the hands of enthusiasts at OTRs and maybe for a Ladakh trip (I volunteer for this...dreading the thought of doing Mumbai - Delhi in my Gypsy!!)

Old 21st May 2010, 16:52   #374
Senior - BHPian

Deepak,
It is a feasible proposition which will be a win situation for M&M and also put to rest the apprehensions by some of our friends. What say?

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 21st May 2010 at 16:54.
Old 21st May 2010, 17:05   #375
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield has been doing it for years. And now its not limited to only the one Himalayan Odyssey or Rider Mania. Lots of folks buy a bullet but like Deepak said, do not have the time or energy or enthusiasm to plan rides that showcase/utilizes the Bullets true character. So RE happily organizes it for them, showcases it to the world, gets lot of focus time and makes money too.
Of course it definitely not the same when the vehicles involved are Jeeps but the concept works right?

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 21st May 2010 at 17:06.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks