Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 11:44   #436
BHPian

Automatic 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Sir, THAR hopefully will come in a 6-7 Lakh category is only a Part Time 4WD .

Full Time 4WD or AWD come sin the following vehicles: Mitsubishi Outlander, Chevy Captiva, Honda CRV, Toyota Fortuner,

I'm not sure whether we have automatic 4WD available in the country. Mitsu Evo & Subaru Impreza IIRC fall in this category. Oh Yes certain variants of Lambo & 911 also

If I'm not mistaken, the Honda CRV has an 'Automatic 4WD'. Normal conditions it's FWD. When it starts losing traction, some of the power is diverted to the rear through it 'intelligent' center diff.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:47   #437
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, if it is 70% onroad and 30% offroad, then the THAR does not need a 4wd at all

From what our experts say, the THAR will do most in 2WD

Also, wonder why it should be released in a 540 shell then? It will also compete with its own siblings!!
I really need a 4x4 occasional off roading. There are places where I cannot take my Bolero. You may just try this, You take it to a place with wet grass (elephant grass) with loose soil below it. Try to drive the Bolero on this surface, Mostly it will get stuck with both rear wheels spinning. I got into this situation many times. Ofcourse, you can take it out by putting gravel or something beneath the tires and pull it out. But a 4x4 may not need this extra effort. What I described is a simple example, I need to take it to much more rough terrain where there is hardly any road and it is slippery. I would definitely need a 4x4, but my main usage is in city and need to cruise long distances.

Last edited by jp1 : 26th May 2010 at 11:51.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:00   #438
Senior - BHPian

Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Vikram, the 30% offroad on a Thar will be equal to your 70% offroad in a 540 !! Chances are the Thar owner will be travelling more often to OTR's across the country listening to music in a/c comfort while a 540 owner will wait for an OTR to happen within 70 kms in cool weather, which at the most will be once or twice a year
Hi DKG,

Some of us have driven MM540's considerable distances to attend OTRs, and they are definitely more comfortable than a CJ3B.

But we are yet to see that in a Thar.

Incidentally the Army is using MM550XD, and considering the distances they have to drive on road and off-road, do you think they will go in for the Thar, even if M&M puts in a non-crdi engine.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 26th May 2010 at 13:05.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:17   #439
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the Honda CRV has an 'Automatic 4WD'. Normal conditions it's FWD. When it starts losing traction, some of the power is diverted to the rear through it 'intelligent' center diff.
To my knowledge its not entirely 2wd switching 4wd occasionally. I think there is a 95% bias to the front wheels and when the front wheels slip relative to the rear a clutch (thermo?) gets activated transferring more power to the rear. Its more of a awd I think. The automatic 4wd tech is something new to me. never heard of it before. What cars use it? Even the Audi Quattro is a awd where there is power to all wheels, perhaps in some ratio but never a 2wd switching to 4wd depending on conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Some of us have driven MM540's a considerable distances to attend OTRs, and they are definitely more comfortable than a CJ3B.
I love driving the CJ3B long distance. However, the difference really was the petrol. Once the diesel went out all the body aches disappeared post OTR's. Now on petrol there is zero fatigue post a long distance drive or OTR.

DI diesels will be tiring Arka. Can you imagine your 540 with a nice torquey silk smooth petrol or even a small block V6? That would be such a delight to drive. Did the 540's ever get the peugeot petrol (or was it a mitsubishi engine?) which did some duty on the older 91 wb Jeeps?
Quote:
Incidentally the Army is using MM550XD, and considering the distances they have to drive on road and off-road, do you think they will go in for the Thar, even if M&M puts in a non-crdi engine.
BTW now that you raise this interesting question what is the army going to buy? Only Gypsies? Isn't it true that M&M discontinued the production of the army spec 550? Or do they still make it?
Old 26th May 2010, 13:29   #440
Senior - BHPian

Bs3

Quote:
I love driving the CJ3B long distance. However, the difference really was the petrol. Once the diesel went out all the body aches disappeared post OTR's. Now on petrol there is zero fatigue post a long distance drive or OTR.

DI diesels will be tiring Arka. Can you imagine your 540 with a nice torquey silk smooth petrol or even a small block V6? That would be such a delight to drive. Did the 540's ever get the peugeot petrol (or was it a mitsubishi engine?) which did some duty on the older 91 wb Jeeps?

BTW now that you raise this interesting question what is the army going to buy? Only Gypsies? Isn't it true that M&M discontinued the production of the army spec 550? Or do they still make it?
Hi DKG,

I never had a problem with any engine, I need legroom and better seating position.

But a Torquey engine will surely improve road speed, or fuel economy as the Final Drive is Higher (Higher Diff-Ratio)

The MM540 with petrol engine = MM440 with F4-134 and the MM ISZ the NGCS with the works and 1.8L Isuzu.

I think the Army will go in for the BS3 compliant MM550XD

Regards,

Arka
Old 26th May 2010, 13:44   #441
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
I think the Army will go in for the BS3 compliant MM550XD
If the quantum of sales can justify the cost of having it cleared at ARAI we could persuade some vehicles being released for civilian use. Only problem is what number do you forsee for a new 550? 35 max 50? that too over three years?

Last edited by DKG : 26th May 2010 at 13:46.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:33   #442
BHPian

Very neat job. I like it. Where did he get it done? What about any mods in the engine / perfomance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
For all family offroaders: please have a look at this modification done to an invader. Does it solve your requirements?

Pictures from FaceBook album of a person called Robinson Sebastian - a friend of Shibu Varghese (JEEP CAPTAIN).
Old 27th May 2010, 08:38   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Deepak - MM540 came with the Isuzu petrol engine sometime in 1995. But the best news that you will love was that in 1984, we had made 1 MM540 brown coloured vehicle with Mitsubishi 4G54 petrol engine, Mitsubishi transmission and 4.88:1 "semi floating" (if you please!) axle 4 wheel drive for our ex Prime Minister. That car was a bomb. I used to pull 120 kmph in 3rd gear. Fuel consumption was atrocious but it was a very special car for a very special person. I was there when he took delivery in Delhi.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 27th May 2010, 09:11   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Deepak - MM540 came with the Isuzu petrol engine sometime in 1995. But the best news that you will love was that in 1984, we had made 1 MM540 brown coloured vehicle with Mitsubishi 4G54 petrol engine, Mitsubishi transmission and 4.88:1 "semi floating" (if you please!) axle 4 wheel drive for our ex Prime Minister. That car was a bomb. I used to pull 120 kmph in 3rd gear. Fuel consumption was atrocious but it was a very special car for a very special person. I was there when he took delivery in Delhi.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir,

Were you in Mahindra in 1984? Or do you mean 1994?
Old 27th May 2010, 09:13   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Sir,

Were you in Mahindra in 1984? Or do you mean 1994?
Salil, He means 1984 and he was there prior to that.
Old 27th May 2010, 09:16   #446
Team-BHP Support

I think the confusion happens because Behram worked in PAL in between.
Old 27th May 2010, 09:42   #447
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
it was a very special car for a very special person
If you are implying it was for Rajiv Gandhi perhaps its a good idea to have that car located, totally refurbished at your end and presented back to Rahul. You guys should get Rahul into offroading too !
Old 27th May 2010, 09:45   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are implying it was for Rajiv Gandhi perhaps its a good idea to have that car located, totally refurbished at your end and presented back to Rahul. You guys should get Rahul into offroading too !
That's marketing Deepak. BTW your thread has gone over 45 000 views
Why not gift him the Thar as he represents youth and may also be the future PM, many would like to emulate him. What say?

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 27th May 2010 at 09:47.
Old 27th May 2010, 09:52   #449
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
That's marketing Deepak. BTW your thread has gone over 45 000 views
Why not gift him the Thar as he represents youth and may also be the future PM, many would like to emulate him. What say?
that's the way to go.

BTW how can we get him involved into forest conservation?
Old 27th May 2010, 10:02   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BTW how can we get him involved into forest conservation?
That's something we can try, Madame Indira Gandhi was solely responsible for the success of project tiger and the Rajiv Gandhi did his bit, since then there is a blank in the conservation aspect with the consecutive PM's and governments. We will be redirected to the MoEF should we go to him.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed