Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 15:54   #481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

I'm perfectly ok with buying the 'inferior' 2wd version! (Of course, if Maruti doesn't grace us with a BS IV Gypsy, it may be the Thar by default.)
Kind attn. Vinod,
Cash on this potential customer, he is a voice of numerous unheard others.
If the DNA is strong enough, genetically it will survive and adapt like it has since long.
Regards,
Old 1st June 2010, 22:11   #482
Senior - BHPian

The devils Advocate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dear Thar, headers, Mile cruncher.

"when I am not going to use the 4WD, why should I pay a lakh extra for something I may never use???"

"I can use that 1 lakh to upgrade the Jeep when it comes off the showroom or later or can just save itby not spending it."

" A 4WD with extra moving parts is not only going to be expensive but also heavy on maintainance and fuel."

1. Have only 1 model - it solves the issue if paying extra!
2. Refer Point 1
3. Refer point 1 and make it better.

We all understand costing and more so from the experts. Lets not play a game of 1 lakh extra etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Fazal well said. The decision if at all to release the Thar in variants other than the 4wd would purely be a marketing choice to expand the market for the vehicle.

So it makes marketing sense to offer the Thar in 2wd also to cater to a segment who will buy it for the fun factor of a soft top Jeep and especially for its strong lifestyle product appeal. Some would like it for its engine/drivetrain, looks, and high seating postition as a alternative to hatchbacks
Deepak, we need market projections - numbers for 2wd and 4wd thar please?

Quote:
There are many seasoned hardcore experienced members like Arka who would not part with their MM for any other Jeep though they came in both versions.
Last heard Arka was negotiating for a 2WD THAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Look at it this way Aniruddha. How many people will buy the Thar for the kind of use you and I would intend putting it to? Not many.

Which means if M&M launch this vehicle only as a 4wd (at 1 lakh more expensive on account of 4wd) they may be losing out on a wider segment that will not necessarily view the Thar as a offroader.

Actually I am looking at this whole thing from a slightly selfish perspective. I feel the Thar must sell in larger numbers than it would were it to be launched purely as a 4wd. I see 2wd version as the only chance it has to garner some share of the hatchback market provided it has a lockable removeable hardtop with a/c cabin and power steering.

More numbers mean the car will become a permanent part of the lineup and will benefit from newer tech as time passes. Next generation Thar will get the MHawk drivetrain. It can only get better.

The spinoff for us is with more cars being sold R&D gets to have a freer hand in designing stuff specifically for the Thar. So ultimately even the 4wd enthusiasts benefit.
I would like to see a HT Thar Please. Vinod - Hear me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I've been saving for a new Maruti Gypsy for six months now. Started out with the idea of getting a 'good' used one, but that's proving to be a real myth. More than 'pure' 4x4 capability, what I'd like is reliability over long highway distances, coupled with the ability to handle the broken terrain of Ladakh, monsoon-swept hairpins of Agumbe, and the sandy trails of the Rann of Kutch (have already been over these by Bullet). Add to that, some amount of nimbleness required to negotiate Bangalore's traffic and it's lack of parking, a reasonable ride so that the wife doesn't totally hate the vehicle, and some hauling space for building material. I know that there simply is no vehicle in the Indian market yet that covers all of these criteria, but I think the Gypsy comes closest. The character of the Gypsy is a welcome extra.

If the Thar can give me all of this without my having to spend an extra lakh for a 4wd, then hey, I'm perfectly ok with buying the 'inferior' 2wd version! (Of course, if Maruti doesn't grace us with a BS IV Gypsy, it may be the Thar by default.)
Drive the THAR and make your own decision. All said and done, the Gypsy is a nimble vehicle!

Quote:
Kind attn. Vinod,
Cash on this potential customer, he is a voice of numerous unheard others.
If the DNA is strong enough, genetically it will survive and adapt like it has since long.
Regards,
Yes Vinod, Please tell us launch dates - We are all eager to read more experiences!
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:15   #483
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Case in point is Classic. Even though it was admired by all enthusiasts, it did not last long as the numbers were not enough to keep it in continous production. Manufacturers requires the numbers to keep it in the production lines, else the product is shelved.
The Classic sold in miniscule numbers because:

a) It's an extremely impractical Jeep to live with. There isn't even enough space for two 5'11" adults (front legroom is at a premium), leave aside 4. No provision for an air-con, top cruising speed of 80 kph and a bone-jarring ride. The Thar seems to be a much better Jeep to live with.

b) The market was substantially smaller in '95. I do believe that there is a healthy demand for lifestyle vehicles today.
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:46   #484
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Classic sold in miniscule numbers because:

a) It's an extremely impractical Jeep to live with. There isn't even enough space for two 5'11" adults (front legroom is at a premium), leave aside 4. No provision for an air-con, top cruising speed of 80 kph and a bone-jarring ride. The Thar seems to be a much better Jeep to live with.

b) The market was substantially smaller in '95. I do believe that there is a healthy demand for lifestyle vehicles today.
The point I was trying to make is, unless it is going to sell in numbers we are not going to see Thar for long. Classic had its followers, but the number did not justify its continuation. My only wish is that Thar sell in large numbers, (I don't care whether it is 4x2 or 4x4, even though I am for a 4x4), so that M&M has a reason to keep it upgraded with technology and comforts and we can enjoy a true lifestyle vehicle.
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:50   #485
Senior - BHPian

Thar Update

Guys,
Thanks for puring in your views. It is surprising to see 2wd voices coming in. I have following things to share for now-

On debate between 2wd and 4wd
THAR would be a 4wd vehicle for now. More so because of engineering challenges less so from marketing side. Personally i suggest it to have 4wd standard. Guys, in a premium product its like having ABS. Not many may experience it in their life time. But when you need it...You need it!!

On launch date
Take about 3 to 4 months. My optimistic estimates. There are too many things still involved hence it may be less,may be more.

On Hardtop
A hard top version is being evaluated. There are challenges. Will update as and we progress.

On pricing

The pricing would be....naaaa!! Too much of expectation

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 2nd June 2010 at 20:52.
Old 3rd June 2010, 00:29   #486
Senior - BHPian

It looks like the activity on this thread has gone down a bit, people tired of discussing it seems and waiting for the launch date. Vinodbhai, I hope you come back with the launch date soon..

btw guys, did the second session happen yet? Sorry, I was not keeping up with all the news around, I remember it was to happen at another southern city, venue and menu was decided and lots of other stuff. any news yet?
Old 3rd June 2010, 06:28   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
On pricing

LOL Vinod: You've NOT decided the price yet - GREAT

My suggestion is around 5L ST and 5.5L HT. IT becomes a GOOD 3rd vehicle then!

PS: Guys lets not compare with what the major was etc etc - We are talking new age engine etc now in a body shell that has been ages, hence the price should be perfect too.

PS2: The major never had such marketing and brand building as the THAR - thanks to Team-BHP.com
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:40   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
On launch date
Take about 3 to 4 months. My optimistic estimates. There are too many things still involved hence it may be less,may be more.
You have someone here who would have to do a lot more traveling in public transport in Mumbai till I can lay my hands on Thar. And then Mahindra asks me to wait for 3-4 months. But wait I shall. There isn't a single other thing that interests me these days.

Quote:
On Hardtop
A hard top version is being evaluated. There are challenges. Will update as and we progress.
Would a removable Hardtop be too impossible a challenge? I guess even if this is available at other Auto-stores, then that should be fine for those interested.

Quote:

On pricing

As long as its not in the band of too-cheap or too-expensive, I am in.
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:22   #489
BHPian

Thar without Hardtop with Aircon,Gypsy still the best.
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:50   #490
Senior - BHPian

Wait and watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
LOL Vinod: You've NOT decided the price yet - GREAT
My suggestion is around 5L ST and 5.5L HT. IT becomes a GOOD 3rd vehicle then!
Headers my friend,
It is not that we dont have a price point in mind, just that it is too early to share it on the forum now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
Rajachu,
Reserve your comments till you drive THAR. Even in soft top form it is quite competitive. Plus it drinks diesel

Edit:
@Animesh- Iam so happy that there is someone saving every penny to buy THAR! I can understand your hardships using public transport as even iam using the same. Even iam waiting for THAR eagerly myself so that i can buy one! The product is ready as you may know. We are just waiting for the regulatory requirements to be done. Hence the delay.
Hard top is not immpossible. We are working out possibilities. It has to be within consumers reach, good looking, installation friendly and last but not the least must be durable. Soft top version would be launched first. For hard top and a/c you may have to wait a little bit.
Animesh Thanks for being there with THAR!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 3rd June 2010 at 12:08.
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:53   #491
BHPian

Vinod
i am not talking on the power/torque point of veiw.But a family off roader that too in comparison with Gypsy which i drive now.For me Thar has to provide better comforts than a gypsy and as reliable too.can i expect this from thar.?Without M&M fitted hardtop/Aircon NO question of thinking of Thar however best it's in 4x4.

Raj
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:58   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vinod
For me Thar has to provide better comforts than a gypsy and as reliable too.can i expect this from thar.?Without M&M fitted hardtop/Aircon NO question of thinking of Thar however best it's in 4x4.

Raj
Rajachu,
You will be forced to think about THAR very soon as most of your requirements are being addressed one by one.
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:00   #493
BHPian

Vinod.iam looking forward and surely buy one if its meets my requirments.
Raj
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:10   #494
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't want in to the mode of a Mahindra Thar vs Maruti Gypsy. Few pointers in any case:
1. Thar has a pedigree (even if its a lift off the original JEEP brand of USA) that Gypsy can't boast of.
2. Thar has looks to drooll on (one thread is appropriately named that way) and its like a Harley Davidson on 4 wheels. Every individual can leave a mark on it that would make it an extension of the owner's identity.
3. I haven't driven a vehicle from Mahindra's stable and have driven a Gypsy. Going by the reputation of these two brands, I will bet that Gypsy would be certainly more comfortable. But then again, Mahindra as long as Thar isn't a terrible-terrible ride, would walk away with the accolades. Because of the sheer look itself. Because of the pedigree itself. Because its the real offroader. And last but not the least, because of certain threads on Team-bhp. Read through them and I am sure, you might have a certain change of heart.
4. Reliability is always important and one can think of Mahindras as a higher maintenance demanding ones. But then we will have to wait and see for ourselves. If Thar is even 90% as reliable as Maruti Gypsy, then 'Thar she will blow'.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:21   #495
BHPian

Quote:
@Animesh- Iam so happy that there is someone saving every penny to buy THAR! I can understand your hardships using public transport as even iam using the same. Even iam waiting for THAR eagerly myself so that i can buy one! The product is ready as you may know. We are just waiting for the regulatory requirements to be done. Hence the delay.
Hard top is not immpossible. We are working out possibilities. It has to be within consumers reach, good looking, installation friendly and last but not the least must be durable. Soft top version would be launched first. For hard top and a/c you may have to wait a little bit.
Animesh Thanks for being there with THAR!
I just want the product to have as much MEAT as the words on these forums are about this mean machine. The wait would be worthwhile.

All I want is 100% assurance that Thar would be launched before end of this year. I want it so badly that I might not stop myself from suing Mahindra for not selling this product in India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks