Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:49   #496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post

On Hardtop
A hard top version is being evaluated. There are challenges. Will update as and we progress.
It has to be light, not steel, not top heavy. Are the challenges regulative or engineering/sourcing?

Eating great clouds of trail dust while stuck behind a tanker crawling over the Manali-Leh road is not my idea of communing with nature. Gimme a hardtop option, if you please. Vinod, please see to it straight away.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:53   #497
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Ideally with a sturdy roll cage in place the hardtop should be a featherlite moulded plastic one
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:44   #498
Senior - BHPian

also wish some variants at a higher price come with a better modern dash and comfort features as already expressed in this thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:56   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
I just want the product to have as much MEAT as the words on these forums are about this mean machine. The wait would be worthwhile.

All I want is 100% assurance that Thar would be launched before end of this year. I want it so badly that I might not stop myself from suing Mahindra for not selling this product in India.
Animesh,
Why didnt you register yourself for Alpha Kilo and EXAMM events being eld near mumbai? You could have seen an early production Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
It has to be light, not steel, not top heavy. Are the challenges regulative or engineering/sourcing?

Eating great clouds of trail dust while stuck behind a tanker crawling over the Manali-Leh road is not my idea of communing with nature. Gimme a hardtop option, if you please. Vinod, please see to it straight away.
Ken,
The hard top would be of a light weight material like fibre top. The challenge is of sourcing and cost due to volumes uncertainity among other things. We are working on it.

How much would you be ready to pay for a good looking dealer fitted hard top? (Just as a reference point old Roplas sold for 40,000 extra)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
also wish some variants at a higher price come with a better modern dash and comfort features as already expressed in this thread
Are you expecting Airbags, ABS, EBD, Defogger, climate control a/c etc etc? You would be disappointed.
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:09   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How much would you be ready to pay for a good looking dealer fitted hard top? (Just as a reference point old Roplas sold for 40,000 extra)
The Canopy for Xenon which is of a good material is for 40,000/- from the dealer. I'm sure outside material would be better and cheaper.

Since the surface area is lesser in Thar, I think 25k is reasonable.
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:09   #501
BHPian

Quote:

50000 to 60000 should be a fair deal for good looking dealer fitted hardtop,like the ones on the italian version.
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:18   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are you expecting Airbags, ABS, EBD, Defogger, climate control a/c etc etc? You would be disappointed.
no buddy none of them in fact. just a nice modern dash, good a/c , storage spaces. good ergonomics - in terms of gear shift, steering and pedal positions ( not like the conventional m&m vehicles )

power windows would also help

also as already posted, the rear seat needs to be front facing . 2 captain seats is also fine if not a bench. seat belts mandatory over there too. hope there wont be a huge transmission tunnel poking out in the middle

Last edited by narayan : 3rd June 2010 at 18:20.
Old 3rd June 2010, 20:07   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
max 7% cost of vehicle should be HT cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Since the surface area is lesser in Thar, I think 25k is reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conjon View Post
50000 to 60000 should be a fair deal for good looking dealer fitted hardtop,like the ones on the italian version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
no buddy none of them in fact. just a nice modern dash, good a/c , storage spaces. good ergonomics - in terms of gear shift, steering and pedal positions ( not like the conventional m&m vehicles )

power windows would also help

also as already posted, the rear seat needs to be front facing . 2 captain seats is also fine if not a bench. seat belts mandatory over there too. hope there wont be a huge transmission tunnel poking out in the middle
You will NOT GET F Facing Rear Seats, well, atleast in INDIA, in this vehicle NOW.

however, you can demand a modern dash as well as better gearshift [read slicker shorter throws] and switchgear which is being provided..also a lighter hydraulic clutch as well please!!
Old 4th June 2010, 00:05   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
max 7% cost of vehicle should be HT cost.
Sir may I ask how did you come up with this beauty of a formulation 7%

Boss the price of the vehicle is not fixed. At your Price levels 7% is 35k but at the company desired levels 7% means 49k. Are you willing to part 49k for HT? I atleast am not

Last edited by MileCruncher : 4th June 2010 at 00:07.
Old 4th June 2010, 07:38   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Sir may I ask how did you come up with this beauty of a formulation 7%

Boss the price of the vehicle is not fixed. At your Price levels 7% is 35k but at the company desired levels 7% means 49k. Are you willing to part 49k for HT? I atleast am not
Hi Anirudha, Secret formulations are not revealed in a public forum.

The gap between the price levels are being worked on. Once that is finalised, YOU can pay the booking amount
Old 4th June 2010, 08:54   #506
jp1
BHPian

Fuel lid

The Thar in pictures which I saw do not have a proper Fuel lid cover. Hope this is addressed. If not a remote fuel lid opener, a descent fuel lid cover and lock must be provided
Old 4th June 2010, 09:00   #507
Senior - BHPian

I see the difficulty in technical changes. But things like interiors shoud not be a challenge at all. Mahindra has a huge interior parts bin from the Bolero & Scorpio to pick from. Why should it be difficult to provide decent aesthetics inside.
I hope Mahindra is not moving forward with the Thar on the premise to provide another touched up cut & paste old jeep interiors.
The expectation from the Thar is to set a benchmark atleast. To make the vehicle more liveable in order to attract and convert more folks into seeing its USP.
In that context, why compromise on aesthetics at all, right from the start. And it should not be a rip off either.
I would like to see a functional, non leaking good quality hard top, with good quality seats that wont go bust and the family can use even after the Jeep comes back after many hard OTR's, interiors that dont make it look like WW 2 replica, NVH levels like that of a Scorpio or better, electricals that wont complain... and most certainly the expectation is high that one wont have to look for a mechanic like one did with the old jeeps.
The FF rear seats can come as an option. ''Some'' options is better than ''no'' options.

Note; a lifestyle vehicle doesnt just mean going over the weekend for an OTR. To some it also means a reflection of their personalities and their lifestyle, etc and it can/will be their daily drive. In that context a World war 2 replica wont do. External nostalgic looks are fine but everything inside should make one feel HUMAN - in the modern context.

Also note; the world today offers options for everything right from products to services. So a Thar without options will most likely kill itself. The prospective buyer might just decide to go soft and buy an suv if he doesnt like the final THAR he was waiting for.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 4th June 2010 at 09:08.
Old 4th June 2010, 09:02   #508
BHPian

Kind attention members from Mahindra

Sirs, whatever you offer or don't offer, kindly do make available a variant with hard top, AC and power steering at least along with the soft top variant at launch itself. The weather and dust conditions in our country make this an absolute must. How much more do we wait, sir/s? A minimum wait of at least 3-4 months for the launch of the soft top variant is long enough a wait and further waiting for the hard top variant will only make many people lose interest in the Thar.
Old 4th June 2010, 09:20   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Vinodbhai,
At least some safety features is what we are looking at.
ABS, Airbags, EBD in that order if those can make it to the vehicle. most of us should be fine with manual AC and no defoggers.

The vary reason why we have such a discussion opened is Thar has got additional on-road abilities compared to other options available in the market - if we consider only that point, everyone would like to see ABS in the car at least..

Last edited by Ketan : 4th June 2010 at 09:21. Reason: spellcheck
Old 4th June 2010, 09:51   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Vinodbhai,
At least some safety features is what we are looking at.
ABS, Airbags, EBD in that order if those can make it to the vehicle. most of us should be fine with manual AC and no defoggers.

The vary reason why we have such a discussion opened is Thar has got additional on-road abilities compared to other options available in the market - if we consider only that point, everyone would like to see ABS in the car at least..

It should be ABS, EBD and then airbags, in that order. A vehicle with such high GVW should have EBD to make ABS effective and worthy. Else no point giving it.

Try panic braking from above 100 and you will know what i meant!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks