Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 10:09   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

If i am not mistaken even t scorpio does not come witj ebd. Atleast mine did not a year back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
It should be ABS, EBD and then airbags, in that order. A vehicle with such high GVW should have EBD to make ABS effective and worthy. Else no point giving it.

Try panic braking from above 100 and you will know what i meant!
Old 4th June 2010, 10:12   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
If i am not mistaken even t scorpio does not come witj ebd. Atleast mine did not a year back.
Venkat, you very well know that my bench mark is NOT the SCORPIO and not yours as it does not have 4wd .

We are only talking about aspects that could make a vehicle better.
Old 4th June 2010, 10:22   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Animesh,
Why didnt you register yourself for Alpha Kilo and EXAMM events being eld near mumbai? You could have seen an early production Thar.
I wish. Have just started working at a new place and can't pass on some scheduled meetings elsewhere. I will keenly wait for all the pics and a new thread on the Post Alpha-kilo and EXAMM bloggings. You go freak.
Old 4th June 2010, 10:22   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Logic my friend. If a car that is more faster, more top heavy and costs 12 lakhs does not come with ebd, wonder if the same manufacturer will do it for something far cjeaper, slower, and less top heavy. And since wjhen did ebd become tje domain of 4wd alone? Are we not discussing a 2wd thar too?

Your reserved seat in scorpio is now the last bench.

Quote:
Venkat, you very well know that my bench mark is NOT the SCORPIO and not yours as it does not have 4wd .

We are only talking about aspects that could make a vehicle better.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:23   #515
BHPian

Wow! Just spent the best part of my morning in going through this very very entertaining thread! I say "Thank You" to M&M and all those involved in conceptualising and ready to deliver this very capable looking offroader.

I come from a very small city from the North East. Even though it is the capital of our state, it is legendary for its use and (ab)use of M&M vehicles. Go to any village in my state and you will see what M&M jeeps are capable of. The original M&M jeeps are still treasured by the locals who drive it and swear by it. Its almost impossible for one to make them part away with their prized possession.

Now, if the Thar is launched, I for one will go ahead and buy it provided I can get it for under 7.5 lakhs, onroad (about 7.1 ex. showroom) for the 4WD. The idea of having M&M organize off-road events if it happens, would be the icing on the cake.

Awaiting patiently for this thread to reveal more details. Thank you once again, M&M, DB Sir, Deepak Sir, Vinod ji & Fazal Sir, among others.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:24   #516
BHPian

[quote=Thar;1920338]Kind attention members from Mahindra

Sirs, whatever you offer or don't offer, kindly do make available a variant with hard top, AC and power steering at least along with the soft top variant at launch itself. The weather and dust conditions in our country make this an absolute must.

My 100% to it Thar.

Raj
Old 4th June 2010, 11:44   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar View Post
Kind attention members from Mahindra

Sirs, whatever you offer or don't offer, kindly do make available a variant with hard top, AC and power steering at least along with the soft top variant at launch itself. The weather and dust conditions in our country make this an absolute must. How much more do we wait, sir/s? A minimum wait of at least 3-4 months for the launch of the soft top variant is long enough a wait and further waiting for the hard top variant will only make many people lose interest in the Thar.
THAR, this thread started right from the time initial prototype was being made. The benchmark time for entirely new product is 6 years and for product like THAR which utilizes existing parts to a large extent is about 3 years. We started discussion on this topic about one year back. That way THAR progress has been pretty quick. It is almost ready, just hold your horses. Wait is well worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Vinodbhai,
At least some safety features is what we are looking at.
ABS, Airbags, EBD in that order if those can make it to the vehicle. most of us should be fine with manual AC and no defoggers.

The vary reason why we have such a discussion opened is Thar has got additional on-road abilities compared to other options available in the market - if we consider only that point, everyone would like to see ABS in the car at least..
Ketan i completely agree with you. Let the first product kick off. If the demand for ABS is over wheming then we can see. As of now, this is a pure utility vehicle with some creature comfort. Consumers barring one or two dont demand ABS and EBD. Let demand speak out, we can think of changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
The Thar in pictures which I saw do not have a proper Fuel lid cover. Hope this is addressed. If not a remote fuel lid opener, a descent fuel lid cover and lock must be provided
Lockable fuel lid is a valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The Canopy for Xenon which is of a good material is for 40,000/- from the dealer. I'm sure outside material would be better and cheaper.

Since the surface area is lesser in Thar, I think 25k is reasonable.

Only 25K? Yar marvayega kya? Costing on HT is yet to be worked out. Shall let you guys know

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 4th June 2010 at 11:45.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:59   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Mahindra has a huge interior parts bin from the Bolero & Scorpio to pick from.
Jay, even though M&M has huge parts bin from Bolero and Scorpio it cannot be used on a MM series vehicles as the door inner/outer panels, door sashes are different. If you carefully see the door hinge of a Bolero and MM 540 you will realize that although both look similar there is a fine difference which prevents them from standardisation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar View Post
How much more do we wait, sir/s?
Very soon we will be able to comment on this status, please be patient. BTW which part of Chennai are you from, as I am in Chennai it would have been good to see this version of THAR.

Quote:
It should be ABS, EBD and then airbags, in that order. A vehicle with such high GVW should have EBD to make ABS effective and worthy. Else no point giving it.

Try panic braking from above 100 and you will know what i meant!
What has GVW to do with having ABS, do load carriers, trucks have ABS

Quote:
Well done Venky

Spike
Old 4th June 2010, 12:33   #519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Jay, even though M&M has huge parts bin from Bolero and Scorpio it cannot be used on a MM series vehicles as the door inner/outer panels, door sashes are different. If you carefully see the door hinge of a Bolero and MM 540 you will realize that although both look similar there is a fine difference which prevents them from standardisation.
You engineers are useless, a Jeep mechanic would have made it fit with a simple application of a hammer.

But on a serious note, this thread too has taken the turn into endless chat about Thar. If nothing important is left to be added, we may have to consider closing this thread.
Old 4th June 2010, 13:29   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks da for the drivers seat - I have a point to prove to you, you see

Quote:
Spike, You are an ENGINEER right? YOU understand Momentum, Acceleration, Deceleration, Weight, Mass, Velocity etc I'd reckon.

YOU should not be asking me this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You engineers are useless, a Jeep mechanic would have made it fit with a simple application of a hammer.

But on a serious note, this thread too has taken the turn into endless chat about Thar. If nothing important is left to be added, we may have to consider closing this thread.
I agree Sharat, The MOD team can review, remove useless comments and close this thread and re-open once the THAR is out.
Old 4th June 2010, 14:05   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post

Let the first product kick off. If the demand for ABS is over wheming then we can see. As of now, this is a pure utility vehicle with some creature comfort. Consumers barring one or two dont demand ABS and EBD. Let demand speak out, we can think of changes.
when do this demand will come into the picture? and knowing this demand at what cost? This will be definitely after few road accidents right? But if M&M is very much sure that there is no ABS required and there will be no accidents just because there was no ABS means, its good.
But M&M thinking, ABS as comfort feature is not good.

Quote:
Spike, ABS is MUST for trucks in europe now. in INDIA what is the legal speed limit imposed on trucks? its 50% lesser than the europe.
Old 4th June 2010, 14:33   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spike, You are an ENGINEER right? YOU understand Momentum, Acceleration, Deceleration, Weight, Mass, Velocity etc I'd reckon.
Headers, no point in replying to your question as any effort in doing so will be futile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Spike, ABS is MUST for trucks in europe now. in INDIA what is the legal speed limit imposed on trucks? its 50% lesser than the europe.
I know these, what I wanted to know was why GVW was co-related to ABS, thats it. BTW Europe also has norms on Pedestrian safety (Frontal Impact) which brings restriction on using bull bars, are we anywhere close to implementing that?

Spike
Old 4th June 2010, 14:59   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know these, what I wanted to know was why GVW was co-related to ABS, thats it. BTW Europe also has norms on Pedestrian safety (Frontal Impact) which brings restriction on using bull bars, are we anywhere close to implementing that?
Pedestrian Safety has a big impact on vehicle design as well. That is one of the reasons that Defender is going out of production as the present design doesn't satisfy the parameters set-out by the regulation. BTW ABS has been mandatory in EU for all road legal vehicles for some time now.
Old 4th June 2010, 20:46   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Vinod:

I think 50-60K should be a fair price for the fibre hard top. You can try to source it from the same vendor who makes the Xenon top. The fit and finish of this top is very good. If Xenon top sells for 40K there is no reason for it to cost a lot more than that given that the volume of the Thar will be most likely higher than the Xenon.

All I can say is that Hard Top is an absolutely mandatory option. I went through hell to get one my 540. Many soft top 540 owners want one but none available off the shelf and i hope no one has to go through what I dealt with to get a hard top !!

Regarding safety features, maybe you can consider ABS/EBD as an option. Thar will be a very powerful SWB jeep capable of high speeds hence it could go out of control if someone where to slam the brakes at 120+ kmph. Please consider this as an option.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 4th June 2010 at 20:48.
Old 4th June 2010, 21:45   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ AFAIK the Xenon fibre top is not made in India. My cousin owns a Xenon, when he ordered the top he was told it will be sourced from Thailand, it took around 3 months to get one.

Thar she blows !!-xenon.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks