Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2010, 08:34   #526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Headers, no point in replying to your question as any effort in doing so will be futile.
Thanks Spikey, I will try to justify and you can CORRECT it OK?

I guess GVW is Gross Vehicle Weight. Momentum = Mass x acceleration.

If a vehicle is doing 120 kph and there is a need to panic brake - A vehicle with higher GVW will have a higher momemtum.

This will require more work to be done by the brakes. ABS alone IMO would just help the wheels to "NOT" lock up. The LSPV is antique.

In a suspension setup as the THAR- The front would do more work than the rear.

EBD is electronic brake force distribution.

EBD helps achieve maximum braking potential within minimum time. The Electronics ensure each of the wheel cylinders get the maximum possible force to act on.

Why We need EBD with ABS in such vehicles is because of the momentum of the vehicle. Under Panic braking, one tends to feel the entire weight of the vehicle while stomping on the brake pedal. if the same vehicle had EBD, it would make the braking effort simpler as well as the vehicle a "JOY" to drive. The braking distances will be reduced with EBD.

Please try the above in a test track at one's own risk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@Vinod:

I think 50-60K should be a fair price for the fibre hard top. ..

All I can say is that Hard Top is an absolutely mandatory option. ..

Regarding safety features, maybe you can consider ABS/EBD as an option. Thar will be a very powerful SWB jeep capable of high speeds hence it could go out of control if someone where to slam the brakes at 120+ kmph. Please consider this as an option.
+1 to that, VN, please do the needful. BTW, any indicative dates of Launch!!

Last edited by headers : 5th June 2010 at 08:41.
Old 5th June 2010, 12:09   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
BTW, any indicative dates of Launch!!
Isn't this the question that I want to see answered. The single most important reason why I visit this thread 5 times in a day. To quote Vinod here: It will take about 3-4 months minimum before they get this on the showrooms.

I know that kinda sucks but then we will have to live with it.
Old 6th June 2010, 00:13   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
when do this demand will come into the picture? and knowing this demand at what cost? This will be definitely after few road accidents right? But if M&M is very much sure that there is no ABS required and there will be no accidents just because there was no ABS means, its good.
But M&M thinking, ABS as comfort feature is not good.
Star Aqua your point is valid . A/c has become standard in cars now but sadly ABS & air bags are not! Most consumers dont ask for it. Also Going through the various THAR threads most of them have asked for a/c and p/s as standard among other things and not ABS in large numbers!

Not ruling out your point- As i said we will study the market and then plonk in ABS if necessary. This is also subject to engineering feasibility. Remember, when i give some thing it must sell.

And yes like others, M&M too considers ABS as safety feature not a comfort feature.

Quote:
@Vinod:

I think 50-60K should be a fair price for the fibre hard top. You can try to source it from the same vendor who makes the Xenon top. The fit and finish of this top is very good. If Xenon top sells for 40K there is no reason for it to cost a lot more than that given that the volume of the Thar will be most likely higher than the Xenon.

All I can say is that Hard Top is an absolutely mandatory option. I went through hell to get one my 540. Many soft top 540 owners want one but none available off the shelf and i hope no one has to go through what I dealt with to get a hard top !!

Regarding safety features, maybe you can consider ABS/EBD as an option. Thar will be a very powerful SWB jeep capable of high speeds hence it could go out of control if someone where to slam the brakes at 120+ kmph. Please consider this as an option.
Tini i have seen your hard ships behind your hard top. But trust me it has come out well. I have used your jeeps pic in one of our internal presentation. Its that good! Hope HT would work out around that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Wow! Just spent the best part of my morning in going through this very very entertaining thread! I say "Thank You" to M&M and all those involved in conceptualising and ready to deliver this very capable looking offroader.

I come from a very small city from the North East. Even though it is the capital of our state, it is legendary for its use and (ab)use of M&M vehicles. Go to any village in my state and you will see what M&M jeeps are capable of. The original M&M jeeps are still treasured by the locals who drive it and swear by it. Its almost impossible for one to make them part away with their prized possession.

Now, if the Thar is launched, I for one will go ahead and buy it provided I can get it for under 7.5 lakhs, onroad (about 7.1 ex. showroom) for the 4WD. The idea of having M&M organize off-road events if it happens, would be the icing on the cake.

Awaiting patiently for this thread to reveal more details. Thank you once again, M&M, DB Sir, Deepak Sir, Vinod ji & Fazal Sir, among others.
Thank you Sumit for being a die hard loyalist. Trust me M&M has good set of 4wds coming up just for you. On organising an off road event i think we have a great escape in arunachal pradesh in begining 2011. I will try to bring THAR there for you to see.
Log on to www.mahindragreatescape.com to register.
Old 6th June 2010, 21:10   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
On organising an off road event i think we have a great escape in arunachal pradesh in begining 2011. I will try to bring THAR there for you to see.
Interesting. Do keep us informed.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th June 2010, 21:40   #530
BHPian

Bringing the Thar in beginning 2011 TO SEE, means it won't be launched till then

Regards

Pranav
Old 6th June 2010, 22:08   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ AFAIK the Xenon fibre top is not made in India. My cousin owns a Xenon, when he ordered the top he was told it will be sourced from Thailand, it took around 3 months to get one.

Attachment 361282
By Logic, no Indian Auto manufacturer would pay import duty on a product that can very well be manufactured in India.
Old 6th June 2010, 22:15   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
By Logic, no Indian Auto manufacturer would pay import duty on a product that can very well be manufactured in India.
India has FTA with Thailand. Hence it can source certain things at cost from there.

Experts to add in please.
Old 6th June 2010, 22:18   #533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
India has FTA with Thailand. Hence it can source certain things at cost from there.

Experts to add in please.
Plus, considering the volumes at which the Xenon is being sold in India, it would be quite fool-hardy to set up a manufacturing process here for those cabins/hard tops.

They sell what - 10 units a month across the country? And probably 2 out of them opt for the cabin?

The duties etc are always passed on to the consumer. TATA does not lose a dime.
Old 7th June 2010, 09:33   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@vinod:

Maybe you M&M can try this vendor in bangalore. Sreeraj has his contact details. The top is very decent. He quoted some crazy amount for small orders. However, if M&M could convince him with volumes, they should bring down the price. Top is very nice looking.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...roaders-5.html
Old 7th June 2010, 12:58   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDMS View Post
Bringing the Thar in beginning 2011 TO SEE, means it won't be launched till then

Regards

Pranav
I don't think the Thar will be available to us till 2011. I'll be the happiest person on Earth if the members from Mahindra prove me wrong on this one.

Let's hope the wait isn't extended till mid 2011 or even 2012.
Old 7th June 2010, 16:14   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDMS View Post

Regards

Pranav
Wrong inference

Quote:
@vinod:

Maybe you M&M can try this vendor in bangalore. Sreeraj has his contact details. The top is very decent. He quoted some crazy amount for small orders. However, if M&M could convince him with volumes, they should bring down the price. Top is very nice looking.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...roaders-5.html
Thanks Tini. I will pass it on to Behram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar View Post
I don't think the Thar will be available to us till 2011. I'll be the happiest person on Earth if the members from Mahindra prove me wrong on this one.

Let's hope the wait isn't extended till mid 2011 or even 2012.
We are trying to be within 2010! For 2012, lets plan another 4wd.
Old 7th June 2010, 16:19   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For 2012, lets plan another 4wd.
Hi Vinod,
Bolero Invader with IFS & IRS .

Regards,

Arka.

PS - Over generations of inbreeding the DNA will finally dilute.......to just 2 Differentials.
Old 7th June 2010, 16:47   #538
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Log on to www.mahindragreatescape.com to register.
Vinod, this registration website is known to be a black hole. I just registered for the Chickmaglur event, I wonder if anything will happen. I may have to register again with the dealer in August.
Old 7th June 2010, 16:58   #539
BHPian

Quote:
We are trying to be within 2010!
Thank you very much for the good news, sir. Does this apply for the hard top + AC + PS variant too?
Old 7th June 2010, 18:10   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are trying to be within 2010! For 2012, lets plan another 4wd.
Super man VN

Let me be start the ball rolling again..

1. Take a Solid Axle Coil Spring Platform [Ladder platform is OK]

2. Plonk the Scorpio Mhawk 2.2 DOHC Diesel Engine - Engine Remapped to 200 BHP and 300 Nm torque

3. Mate a modern trip tronic gearbox - {oh my I'm tired of the NGT 530s man } And make 4wd HIGH and LOW via a simple lever. OK OK atleast give us a slicker GB and a lighter clutch

4. Have the design to accept multiple body shapes on the same platform. [Aka XYLO, INVADER, SCORP, MIni SCORP, Bolero, Jeep, etc etc ]

5. Bolt on the Bolero body for HT lovers and the 550 NGCS body for the vintage lovers.

6. Irrespective of Point #5 above, vehicle should not exceed 1500 kgs. If it exceeds 1500 kgs then make ABS and EBD mandatory.

7. Improve the quality of switchgear to be atleast to the level of XYLO or SCORPIO..the bolero has BAD switchgear.

8. PRICE TEH vehicle attractively so that I buy 2 - one for daily use and one for OTRs : LOL
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks