Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2010, 00:31   #586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
The Thar and Legend will be participating in the event. Not as display pieces, but will actively take part.
Are you sure?? Have the conformations come!?
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:30   #587
BANNED

I want to know from all those Guru's
1) does the Thar has a Non torsion box/tubular chassis ? (or it has the same old C shape ? )
2) does it have a 60 ltr. fuel tank ? & a secondry tank ? ( twin tank for longer range )
3) does it have a 100/90 Amp alternater ? to support winch operation.
4) what about oil cooling ?
5) can the original battery bracket support a heavy battery (same size)
also is there any room for a dual battery setup ?
6) are there any options for petrol engines ?
7) why is mahindra so stuck with a cj 5/7 immage ?
8) what exact ground clearence it has bellow the gear box mounting crossmember ?
9) does the thar has full floating axcels in the rear ?
10) if it is a soft top then why not provide company made rear Lockable luggage space/box ? ( to carry all the off road equip.)
yours Sudarshan.

Last edited by Sudarshan : 22nd June 2010 at 10:33. Reason: added some more
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:00   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
I think jeep fans want the CJ 5/7 image. How would you feel if the latest defender came out looking like a Captiva or the latest Porce 911 looking like a Hyundai Tiburon or Toyota Celica?

Mahindra's attempt to deviate from the CJ image was the Bolero Invader and we all know how popular that is amongst jeepers.
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:30   #589
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I think jeep fans want the CJ 5/7 image. How would you feel if the latest defender came out looking like a Captiva or the latest Porce 911 looking like a Hyundai Tiburon or Toyota Celica?

Mahindra's attempt to deviate from the CJ image was the Bolero Invader and we all know how popular that is amongst jeepers.
Good point , But the difference here is ,Defender is still made ( dont know about future ) by Land Rovers & the mahindras are NOT allowed even to use the Jeep logo anymore.
So a company using it's Own & a company renting some body ELSE's work .
If the 'Jeep' itself produces such a model in India its great , I dont accept mahindra doing this UDHAR thing.
Yours Sudarshan
P.S. I still use & maintain my family 540,( 4x4), The Jeep is/was always my first love. but see normally people dont get married to first loves.
(it came under Jeep logo, not the mahindra)( though the quality of work & material is Garbage as per mahindras)
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:34   #590
BANNED

I dont think the look is to maintain heritage or any of that jazz.

They had it (the CJ 5/ MM540) dies they used it. Simple.

Going about getting new stamping machines for a new body and you have a 4x4 Scorpio.

So get on with how it looks - image or otherwise. Cant do much anyways.
Old 23rd June 2010, 02:24   #591
Senior - BHPian

Here are the Honda CRV, Toyota Fortuner and the Maruti Grand Vitara. I have forgotten which is which. But that's just the problem. Some of us find this same general rounded design devoid of character, non-distinct, non-functional and just flat bland. I am only saying this because time after time I see posts on these threads that take this general design as a "given" modern ideal that every manufacturer should strive to emulate. I find it....dead. Okay, that is my subjective 2 rupees worth. If it had great ground clearance and lockers, I probably would get over its dead appearance and revel in my necrophilia.

Whatsamatta with fenders, real bumpers, split windshields and running boards? Gimme a "Woody" Jeep anytime over one of these femme-egg things.
Attached Thumbnails
Thar she blows !!-sup-1.jpg  

Thar she blows !!-sup-2.jpg  

Thar she blows !!-sup-3.jpg  

Thar she blows !!-sub-4.jpg  

Old 23rd June 2010, 08:12   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

I think those woody doors will be stolen before you know it. A lot of people here are now into the whole balmy wooden interior ala scandinavia (floor boards and the like) for their houses.
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:12   #593
Senior - BHPian

activity on this thread seems to have come down finally. So, do we know if removable HT is going to available at the launch? And are we going to see the launch in next month or two?
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:12   #594
BHPian

Call it the case when people are talking a lot (me included) and on the contrary there is very little to show up on the actual launch of Thar from Mahindras. I won't be surprised if the Moderators take notice of the dying thread and close it temporarily till some concrete development actually takes place.
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:47   #595
BHPian

At this stage of the frustrating wait, I can only pray for three things:

1. Mahindra launching the Thar by August at least.
2. A hard top + AC variant being launched at the same time as the soft top variant.
3. Reasonable pricing.
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:19   #596
BANNED

Quote:
1) does the Thar has a Non torsion box/tubular chassis ? (or it has the same old C shape ? )
2) does it have a 60 ltr. fuel tank ? & a secondry tank ? ( twin tank for longer range )
8) what exact ground clearence it has bellow the gear box mounting crossmember ?
10) if it is a soft top then why not provide company made rear Lockable luggage space/box ? ( to carry all the off road equip.)
yours Sudarshan.
One more addition to the list , Why not Coil suspension in the rear too ?
Dear mahindras please stop the Udhar thing , create your OWN 'Jeep', as a great nation we must have something of our own ,I am tired of this Udhar(exception Tatas have bought the Land Rover , so its Indian now )
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:48   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Whats the difference as long as it works troublefree with low NVH levels. Pardon my ignorance but can you elaborate on the benifits of the same.

Most owners will never use a secondary tank with fuel pumps well spread out across the country. It will only add to the cost of the vehicle.

How do they install a winch on the old jeeps and Gypsies... do they all have 100/90 amps..? Is it a prerequisite to install a winch ?

For what? as long as the engine doesnt overheat with the ac on in 4L @50*C

Is a dual battery necessary?

I dont think Mahindra ever did petrols.

My POV in bold below.

Are there any examples of any 4x4 vehicles in the Thar category India having the same?

Thats a good option to have in the Option list.

yours Sudarshan.
My POV to point 7.
Do you think Mahindra has any other design in its books. The entire fortunes of Mahindra were built on the basis of this 'udhar' design. Almost all the vehicles in the Mahindra stable bear a direct resemblance or are offshoots of the jeep design, barring the Scorpio, bolero, & xylo. The Scorpio & Xylo now qualify as rodent look alikes with the toothed grill, so that gives you an idea of their design prowess.

Back to the point. The 'udhar' Jeep design is quite good to look at, even though its quite old, its quite a charmer. The mechanicals of the THAR seem to have been reworked to a price point with adequate basic new tech.Isnt it great to have your first love by your side after your married.. if you can manage the maintenance.. LOL!!
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:53   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more addition to the list , Why not Coil suspension in the rear too ?
Now, that would be very very commendable.. if Mahindra did that. But I dont think they will. It has taken then so so long to just come up with the THAR in the current form.. Endless years just to plonk a decent engine inside it...

Lets wait for the final product.. lets see what they have done to the interiors.. and what is in the OPTIONS list!!
Old 23rd June 2010, 19:16   #599
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I dont think Mahindra ever did petrols.
C'mon, who do you think made all those petrol Jeeps in India? In fact we have two MM440s on the forum which was sold only in petrol.
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:08   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
C'mon, who do you think made all those petrol Jeeps in India? In fact we have two MM440s on the forum which was sold only in petrol.
Ohh.. I thought those were imported..!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks