Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 17:58   #616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I finally got to drive it in a very tricky offroad obstacle, the one where most Gypsies failed.

At first I totally underestimated the power of the engine and almost went up the rock wall on the right. It was like riding a tiger. Then I reversed and decided to give only half the throttle than I normally give in my CJ340. Once I got used to the totally different dynamics of the Thar, I came out of the ditch quite easily. It gives you an unfair advantage over regular Jeeps and Gypsies.
I have the video of you doing the TD of Thar in the background of Allan trying to get his Gypsy up the first obstacle.
Old 28th June 2010, 18:08   #617
BANNED

Small itsy bitsy question: Did ARKA drive the Thar and what are his views?
Old 28th June 2010, 18:12   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Small itsy bitsy question: Did ARKA drive the Thar and what are his views?
Arka was the first person in the history of M&M to get the THAR stuck

And the Bangalore boys were the first in history to winch the un-stuckable THAR out
Old 28th June 2010, 18:17   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Arka was the first person in the history of M&M to get the THAR stuck

And the Bangalore boys were the first in history to winch the un-stuckable THAR out
When was that ?

But I heard that ARKA has moved over to the THAR camp
Old 28th June 2010, 18:20   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
When was that ?

I am sorry I cannot believe this statement unless he signs a stamp-paper stating that...

It got stuck at one of the obstacles on day 1 before the HUGE slush pit, and Vijay Kumar winched it out.
Old 28th June 2010, 18:21   #621
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Not exactly, he merely said he was impressed by Thar while fully retaining his reservations about IFS, SFRA, etc. Sreeni and I were witness to that statement.

Last edited by Samurai : 28th June 2010 at 18:22.
Old 28th June 2010, 19:00   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At first I totally underestimated the power of the engine and almost went up the rock wall on the right. It was like riding a tiger. Then I reversed and decided to give only half the throttle than I normally give in my CJ340. Once I got used to the totally different dynamics of the Thar, I came out of the ditch quite easily. It gives you an unfair advantage over regular Jeeps and Gypsies.
Sharath,
A quote from my first test drive, about one and a half year back:

"The THAR will change the complexion and standards of Indian off-roading is my conviction".

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...erience-4.html
Regards,
Old 28th June 2010, 19:16   #623
Team-BHP Support

Ah Fazal, it is finally time for you to say "I told you so!"
Old 28th June 2010, 19:28   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah Fazal, it is finally time for you to say "I told you so!"
Not at all Sharath, I was sure many hard core off-roaders would agree unanimously for what the Thar is. As a matter of fact I held back and reigned myself on my report, then.
Old 28th June 2010, 19:39   #625
Senior - BHPian

Fuel tank capacity for Thar is 60 L and not 45 L as stated by Headers. BTW, Arka told me his next daily drive would be a Thar! Does that raise any eyebrows?

Spike
Old 28th June 2010, 20:19   #626
Senior - BHPian

Spike, are you sure about that? That might have been a sweet dream

Arka, Your Comments are awaited with bated breath.

But yes, Behram was on a rampage with the vehicle during the OTR but i am more interested in the Tarmac Behaviour. Lets see how it scores over there, if it does then you will have many car converts.
Old 28th June 2010, 20:28   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

But yes, Behram was on a rampage with the vehicle during the OTR but i am more interested in the Tarmac Behaviour. Lets see how it scores over there, if it does then you will have many car converts.
Take my word for it. It scores very highly there too. "An unbelievable cruiser !".
Old 28th June 2010, 20:56   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

Maaple (Dear), if there is anyone apart from Behram Sir who can tell you what this car has/will have my name would feature first in that list, take my word. I am wondering why you didn't ask for a test drive while it was standing idle after the first day OTR.

Regarding the tarmac behavior it will surprise you with its ride and handling characteristics, you will like it. Just for your information we covered Nasik-Panvel (McDonalds) at night (with rains) in 2 hrs 30 mins flat on a vehicle de-tuned for lower power/FE trials. Don't ask me who was driving, you know that, don't you?

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 28th June 2010 at 21:01. Reason: add info
Old 28th June 2010, 21:05   #629
Senior - BHPian

The report on the Thar is my most awaited part of the Alfa_Kilo challenge. Hope it brings a lot of smiles. I am saving up and have stopped looking for an ex-army MM540/MM550.

-Biju
Old 28th June 2010, 21:23   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - with respect to my good friend Arka's interactions with the Thar (I respect his capability with highest regards), my comments are as follows:

Incident 1 - with respect to comments in posts 618 and 619, I gave the key of the Thar to Arka and invited him to drive it. He accepted, which made me happy. He may not have seen a rock and unknowingly drove over it (I did not see so many rocks myself). The rock nicely wedged itself below the rear axle. He came out of the car and told me that he could have taken the rock out using the Thar's own power but he preferred to winch it out so as not to damage anything underneath. I agreed because it was a very logical request, correctly put forth. Any knowledgeable offroader would do the same thing. Therefore it was winched out. That's all there is to it. As it is, everybody has seen me driving the Thar at that spot, where I successfully negotiated the same obstacle and parked right on top of that huge rock. I remember that I thoroughly enjoyed that drive, giving high fives to Vinod and Allan after completing it. I also thoroughly enjoyed it when Spike showed me the video (oh my God!, I did that!). I have saved it in my laptop.

Incident 2 - there was this side tilt obstacle which UBS Sir, Arka, Vinod and I were quite apprehensive about taking others through as it could have been dangerous. So we four worked together, took the Thar and forged out a different route through huge boulders and 6 feet tall dense bushes. I enjoyed that activity because we did something which is rarely done, forging through a forest where there is no trail at all. After that spot, I offered the keys to him again. He drove for some distance with me next to him and commented that - "the crispness of the steering is very good. I am getting a very positive feel of what the front wheels are doing". Then he made my day by telling me that - "Behram, my next every day drive vehicle shall be the Thar". He also mentioned that - "Behram, you have a wonderful vehicle, it would become the last word in off roading in India if you gave a solid axle up front". I appreciated his comments and again explained the reasons and advantages for providing IFS. I mentioned to him that "Arka, today we have proved that IFS works". He readily agreed to my comment. He is entitled to his point of view but I appreciate his geature in providing positive critique.

I may also mention here that I have demonstrated the shortcoming of a leaf spring fitted solid axle by actually showing everybody how traction is lost in compressing and decompressing of a leaf spring, which does not happen with IFS. I do not remember who all were there but after my interaction, quite a few people came and told me that they agree with me as they are now seeing it happen.

Incident 3 - In the AKC, a TATA 207 2 wheel drive vehicle bringing food for all of us got stuck quite badly. The poor driver was terrified even to sit inside his car. Arka and I worked together and we winched him out. I wish somebody had taken a photograph of the poor terrified driver. He told me in Hindi - "aap log sub paagal hain". I replied - "aapne theek kaha, hum nahin sudhrenge". He smiled only after his vehicle was on sure ground once again. A pat on his back got him going again otherwise we would have all gone hungry that day. .

I finally told Arka in Hindi - "tujhmein aur mujhmein kuch to special hai yaar!". His expression and his eyes said it all. My day was made. I have found a knowledgeable friend for life. Isn't it Arkabhai?

Please accept my best personal regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS to all those who were there - I shall choose not to comment on the Thar's performance. However, I shall share what somebody told me. He said, "Behram, your vehicle has passed all EXAMMs with first class honours with distinction, also securing the first rank". Thanks Dude. We appreciate. .

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 28th June 2010 at 21:24. Reason: add info
Closed Thread

Most Viewed