Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2010, 19:40   #646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
If this the least powerful output behaves then I dare not think about the 140 HP data set
Now from where did this 140HP data set arrive

Spike
Old 29th June 2010, 20:13   #647
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I may also mention here that I have demonstrated the shortcoming of a leaf spring fitted solid axle by actually showing everybody how traction is lost in compressing and decompressing of a leaf spring, which does not happen with IFS. I do not remember who all were there but after my interaction, quite a few people came and told me that they agree with me as they are now seeing it happen.
Yup, I was there when you showed it.

Quote:
As stated earlier here is the video of you TD-ing the THAR in the background while Allan is trying his stunts
Thanks Aniruddh, I didn't realise it was filmed. Did you know I had not dis-engaged the handbrake when I did this? Not used to handbrake in Jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Now from where did this 140HP data set arrive
Stop looking shocked Spikey, that one is hardly a secret.
Old 29th June 2010, 20:14   #648
Senior - BHPian

i guess its a 105 BHP one that shall be made for india. Correct me Spike.
Old 29th June 2010, 20:28   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hey BTW guys, there is also a 300 BHP spiked out version for the hardcore guys.

And that pulls like crazy
Old 30th June 2010, 00:15   #650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I can kind of post my query.
Frankly speaking, I don't care about IFS, articulation etc., much.

1. Can it do 15 hours non stop drives at 100kmph on the highways.
5. Suspension - Will I need a visit to service center after every trip for a tie rod etc., change?
6. Service intervals - The scorpio requires a service every 5K. With 15K intervals of Tatas, I can ride around the country, and still not require a service. Possible in thar?
7. Per km cost - In the first 50,000kms I expect 50p/km service cost. MY Safari gives me that. 60p/km in the first 50,000kms excluding tires. Will Thar beat such costs?

So Behram Sir, can you please give your thoughts, since you are the test engineer for this vehicle. Till now your team seems to be targetting the OTR crowd, but I hope your test plan includes testing for Himalayan touring robustness.
@ Tanveer: Given that I've just completed a 7374 km trip around the country on a Scorpio, may I put in my comments here...
1. The Scorpio has done 3 stretches of non-stop (and I mean not switching off) driving - apart from shorter stretches...
Delhi-Mumbai: 22.5 hours (@ 1500 km);
Madikeri-Visakhapatnam: 25 hours (@ 1400 km);
Kolkata-Delhi: 23 hours (@ 1500 km).

Similar driving has been done often enough earlier in my Accent too, and whether then or now, the cars haven't faltered - ever. I, however, have felt less tired in the Scorpio than in the Accent, and that means a lot to me. Whether the Thar will meet the Scorpio's standards of comfort, is something I'd like to know too.

5. Suspension - and anything else - continues to work flawlessly. 21k km on the odo.

6. Service intervals - I'm probably stretching things a little here as per the service manual, but instead of an oil change at the 20k km service, I did my 15k km service at 13.5k km, and voluntarily changed engine oil and filter at that time. Which means the oil is just 7.5k km old, and a routine check at 21k km should see me doing another round of the country without needing an oil change. However, the oil will get changed at this service.

7. My service costs till now (for the first three services) work out to Rs.6318, which is about 30 paise per km. Now that I'm on paid service from the 4th service onwards, will let you know whether the Scorpio beats the 60 paise/km that you have incurred.
Quote:
Dear Tanveer - of course you can drive the Thar continuously for days on end if you choose to. You will finally need sleep, the vehicle will keep going. .
@ BD: LOL - I like the way you put it! But then, back in the 20th century, even an Amby could do that. I've driven 44 hours non-stop, as a part of a 2-man team with my brother, in an Amby from Calcutta to Delhi, when India didn't even know to spell expressway! No, the bonnet wasn't opened even once, and yes, petrol cost Rs.7.56 per litre those days.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 30th June 2010 at 00:17.
Old 30th June 2010, 00:29   #651
BHPian

:)

Is there a hardtop Thar? Too much to ask for, perhaps? Thought I did see a hard top MM that looked like a Thar up front and it did have a hard top! Looked metal and not Roplas, Gurus must have some info on that!
Old 30th June 2010, 07:43   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Can I do 120+ all day long with AC, PS and MUSIC as well as carry my load?
What load? You're a tiny guy compared to me!! Make sure I am in the Thar with you when this happens.
Old 30th June 2010, 07:51   #653
Senior - BHPian

Warranty

@ Vinod : I have asked this previously and am asking again.

Will the THAR have a 2 yr std warranty or will it come with extended warranty. And since its a OTR ready vehicle, what all will be the exclusions in the warranty policy ?
Old 30th June 2010, 08:40   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Samurai, im not kidding, 140 HP is a distant dream as of now, may be someone over here has misinterpreted 140 kmph as 140 HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
You are right Raj.

Quote:
Will the THAR have a 2 yr std warranty or will it come with extended warranty. And since its a OTR ready vehicle, what all will be the exclusions in the warranty policy ?
Ani, with the ownership experience in your Storm, I see you are more interested in warranty than the car itself. Vinod please answer his query.

Spike
Old 30th June 2010, 08:45   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Ani, with the ownership experience in your Storm, I see you are more interested in warranty than the car itself. Vinod please answer his query.

Spike
Spike: The same holds true for many.

And I guess you understand the reason for his repeated questioning for warranty claims as well

OK, Vinu my friend - Is the suspension having a std 2 year warranty too? or is it the engine only?
Old 30th June 2010, 11:21   #656
Team-BHP Support

somebody please answer my query about high altitude testing and extreme cold weather testing.
Old 30th June 2010, 12:33   #657
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear SS-Traveller - ref your query, "whether the Thar will meet the Scorpio's standards of comfort, is something I'd like to know too", my reply is as follows:

When we did the prototypes, we had data of the original MM540 seats, also having a certificate which we could use directly, so no hassles for us. We could have taken the easy way out. Somehow I was not comfortable. So we simulated the layout on 3D, made a set and fitted it on one prototype car. It turned out to be + (got it?). It was a seat for seat's sake, nothing else. I wonder how our grandfathers could drive after sitting on it, they must have been spidermen. So I put my foot down, had a lot of heated discussions all over the place, fought with people who wanted to take the easy way out and finally got good seats in the Thar. You can drive for 24 hours, no sweat there. I have driven Indore / Nasik non stop with full "chamcha" (accelerator pedal is known as chamcha, full chamcha means full power) and enjoyed it. What you need is an included angle of almost 180 degrees (straight line) at your elbows. Then keep your hands at '10 minutes to 2" position, incline the seat backrest to provide exactly required and correct lower back support and enjoy the drive! For some inexplicable reason, in our country, many people sit wrongly and then keep on cribbing. I am sure that you will agree to my statement that "if you can't sit properly in the driver's seat, you can't drive properly".

The car on the trail had the intermediate intent seats, the final ones are positioned a little differently so as to meet CMVR on related areas like wiper performance etc. We are doing complete recertification of seats for this purpose. That's what "slog overs" is all about.

At least say "thank you" now, OK? .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th June 2010, 12:39   #658
BANNED

Sirji, what about the comfort levels at the rear? Same MM540 bench seats?
Old 30th June 2010, 12:58   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Dear SS-Traveller - ref your query, "whether the Thar will meet the Scorpio's standards of comfort, is something I'd like to know too", my reply is as follows:

When we did the prototypes, we had data of the original MM540 seats, also having a certificate which we could use directly, so no hassles for us. We could have taken the easy way out. Somehow I was not comfortable. So we simulated the layout on 3D, made a set and fitted it on one prototype car. It turned out to be + (got it?). It was a seat for seat's sake, nothing else. I wonder how our grandfathers could drive after sitting on it, they must have been spidermen. So I put my foot down, had a lot of heated discussions all over the place, fought with people who wanted to take the easy way out and finally got good seats in the Thar. You can drive for 24 hours, no sweat there. I have driven Indore / Nasik non stop with full "chamcha" (accelerator pedal is known as chamcha, full chamcha means full power) and enjoyed it. What you need is an included angle of almost 180 degrees (straight line) at your elbows. Then keep your hands at '10 minutes to 2" position, incline the seat backrest to provide exactly required and correct lower back support and enjoy the drive! For some inexplicable reason, in our country, many people sit wrongly and then keep on cribbing. I am sure that you will agree to my statement that "if you can't sit properly in the driver's seat, you can't drive properly".

The car on the trail had the intermediate intent seats, the final ones are positioned a little differently so as to meet CMVR on related areas like wiper performance etc. We are doing complete recertification of seats for this purpose. That's what "slog overs" is all about.

At least say "thank you" now, OK? .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I will say a hundred 'thank you's" on everyone's behalf. Just do me one favour find a way to seat six facing the front in the Thar. Pretty please. And come into the market quickly please, if you can't then take the glitches out the CRDE bolero instead. Both ways I am ready bow my head and offer you a cup of tea,"master have some tea".

Regards,

Chaunfa

P.s. Moderators please forgive me for sinning by mentioning the Bolero in this thread.
Old 30th June 2010, 13:01   #660
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I was impressed with the performance of the THAR and it REALLY did the trail in style.

I will HAPPILY buy the THAR as a daily drive/long drive vehicle once the time comes to change my car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed