Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 14:56   #676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Anirudh, You ought to drive a 4x4 Scorp off the road and then take a decision - I dont think it is fair to compare a no frills THAR with the Mighty MUSCULAR SCORPIO for a Pan India Tour.
Off Road : Thar or Scorp 4x4
THAR without 2nd thought
Reasons:
  1. More agile
  2. Chances of something breaking in the THAR is much lesser than Scorp
  3. Even if something breaks, it will be cheaper to fix in THAR than Scorp
  4. I'm not comfortable with the driving position in the Scorp and that was one of the major reasons to buy the Bolero.
  5. Last but not the least I'm a very cost sensitive person (sounds so better than cheap ) so the 5 lakh cost difference between rthe two will be suitable utilised in running the THAR for 1 Lakh Kms ( Rs 4/ Km for Fuel + Rs 1/Km of Maintenance)
So I'm all set to buy the THAR unless off-course TATA's launch the Defender for 6~8 Lakhs here.
Old 30th June 2010, 15:03   #677
Team-BHP Support

Thar with AC and lockable cabin will make it a fantastic tourer-cum-offroader. Even road side muggers won't consider Thar as a potential target. It gives you a low profile.
Old 30th June 2010, 15:05   #678
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
TATA's launch the Defender for 6~8 Lakhs here.

OT: But heck thats exactly what I have been waiting for. Though I am not that price conscious(read cheap ). I am ready to put double of that for a Defender. No I am not rich, just crazy about the Defender.
Old 30th June 2010, 15:05   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

No offense intended, but sorry, the only way to seat six facing forward is to have 2 Thars, one behind the other. Come to think of it, you can actually seat 8 facing forward .
None taken as I am sure that when I buy one, you will buy another one for me tee hee .

Regards,

Chaunfa
Old 30th June 2010, 15:09   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thar with AC and lockable cabin will make it a fantastic tourer-cum-offroader. Even road side muggers won't consider Thar as a potential target. It gives you a low profile.
Agreed but the thieves in Delhi are the best in the land. I hope the Thar will have enough ways to keep them out. Till now Boleros and Scorpios were their favourites. Hope the Thar stays out of their most wanted list.

Chaunfa
Old 30th June 2010, 15:20   #681
Senior - BHPian

Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
Agreed but the thieves in Delhi are the best in the land. I hope the Thar will have enough ways to keep them out. Till now Boleros and Scorpios were their favourites. Hope the Thar stays out of their most wanted list.

Chaunfa
Please remember a thief will need a vehicle with which he/she can run away without raising the least bit of suspicion.

So to safe guard it and make it unique apart from giving it an attitude, I would suggest putting up quite a few stickers.

Thieves stay away from vehicles that don't blend in with the surrounding.
Old 30th June 2010, 19:41   #682
Team-BHP Support

My second take on Thar!

I had a very very brief spin (couple of 100 mts), before Samurai took back the keys This was not trail bashing, just took a spin to get a feel of the vehicle,before i get a chance to drive it on the trail, well the latter part remains a dream right now.

My observation: its powerful, just like a scorp, its comfortable to drive again very close to scorp. The dressing of the vehicle that i drove was very very basic and obviously really punished. But if similar dressing is planned pricing will have to be el cheapo. Read under 6 lakhs on the road which includes road tax and insurance for a Joe like me in BLR. Richer people might pay more lol

I had tough time convincing Robi that it was indeed a Thar and not a 540/550.

Now what i saw: i understand the vehicle was under some endurance testing, so full on abuse was happening. One thing, its powerful, really really powerful! compared to the older gen M&M's, even with this alleged "economy" data set. It can negate the effect of those stupid HT tyres and independent front suspension etc.

Rear articulation is quite good, where as front has tendency to pop one wheel up, esp in really precarious situations. Good part is, the power department takes care of this circus.

Will Khan buy it? most likely yes. Why most likely? coz i dont think he will sell his daily commute Palio S ever!

If he buys it, will i like it? NO! coz am sure his wife would accompany him on all the long drives and i will not get the passenger seat he he. So it has potential to be a good offroad tourer, Spidey is still there for all the extreme stuff.

That's it from me with a 3 min drive and few hours of observations.

Pleasure meeting you again BD and SPIKEee! You and your teams have a performer in hand, please ask the Marketing team also to do some due diligence.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th June 2010 at 19:46.
Old 30th June 2010, 22:36   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Pleasure meeting you again BD and SPIKEee! You and your teams have a performer in hand, please ask the Marketing team also to do some due diligence.
Vinod from the Marketing team is taking note of all your comments and has a few things lined up for you guys.

Jaggu bhai why didn't you guys test drive Thar? I got the fuel tank to the brim just in case..

Spike

PS- Somehow, I like the way you Bangalore boys (led by Khan Sir) pull each others leg (Venky's pic on Facebook is hilarious ). It was nice meeting the Bangalore boys again.
Old 1st July 2010, 00:20   #684
Team-BHP Support

So SPIKE, when is the Thar leaving the hands of OTR guys, and coming for the touring guys?
Old 1st July 2010, 12:11   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
somebody please answer my query about high altitude testing and extreme cold weather testing.
Tanveer, I see you are worried about something. Is it related to cold starting, if yes then.. forget it!

Spike
Old 1st July 2010, 12:31   #686
Team-BHP Support

Well its not just cold starting, its also engine heating up at high altitudes due to very rarified air. I am talking about altitudes greater than 5000m above sea level, and continuous driving in such altitudes with rpm around 2500 and ambient temp of 20 degree C
Old 1st July 2010, 12:38   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Tanveer, I see you are worried about something. Is it related to cold starting, if yes then.. forget it!

Spike
Forget what? The problem or the problem getting solved!

Why is everybody talking in circles and not answering Tanveer straight whether testing has happened or not.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:05   #688
Team-BHP Support

I guess when testing has happened, then you can say "yes". But when testing is planned sometime in the future.... You go around in circles. Saying no testing has been done will look bad.
Moreover, I do no think unless the Hard Top starts getting tested, we will see any cold weather or altitude testing.
Old 1st July 2010, 14:17   #689
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra THAR

Hi Guys,

Enough and more has been said by me about, what the Thar, should have been, could have been.

But what is it, A Capable Off-Roader, with excellent all-round value.

The Engine/Transmission is good, the steering is good, the suspension is very well suited for an all round use, and is very well setup for Off-Road use.

The Transmission is tucked in nicely and the 245-75-16 tyres improves the vehicles looks and stance.

The off-road track handling is superb and so is the engine power and transmission.

In some of the Obstacles the IFS did act up, but that was expected, but there was nothing that it couldn't do.

People can buy this vehicle for what ever they desire to do and it will deliver.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2010, 14:31   #690
Senior - BHPian

Welcome back Arka,

Good to see your comments on Thar, we wont ask you to compare it with othe vehicles, but I'm also interested in hearing more about its on-road capacity.
I would also be interested in launch date and someone providing real/practical GTO-Type TD report.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed