Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 14:31   #691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Why is everybody talking in circles and not answering Tanveer straight whether testing has happened or not.
'Cos the testing hasn't happened . If it had, the answer would have been a simple "Yes" I guess.
Old 1st July 2010, 14:50   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I guess when testing has happened, then you can say "yes". But when testing is planned sometime in the future.... You go around in circles. Saying no testing has been done will look bad.
Moreover, I do no think unless the Hard Top starts getting tested, we will see any cold weather or altitude testing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
'Cos the testing hasn't happened . If it had, the answer would have been a simple "Yes" I guess.
So just like it happened with me & the Storm, M&M will again find some poor guy and do all the experimentation there .
Old 1st July 2010, 15:01   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

Enough and more has been said by me about, what the Thar, should have been, could have been.

In some of the Obstacles the IFS did act up, but that was expected, but there was nothing that it couldn't do.

Arka, your previous expert analyses of Thar components are/were nevertheless very valuable to many of us.

Quote:
People can buy this vehicle for what ever they desire to do and it will deliver.
I hope that since many of the components, e.g. IFS, were originally meant for heavier vehicles, that this will give the light weight Thar some measure of robustness it might not have had otherwise.

Like Tanveer, I would like to know the results of high altitude testing. We actually go up there, you know.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 1st July 2010 at 15:09.
Old 1st July 2010, 16:45   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Enough and more has been said by me about, what the Thar, should have been, could have been.

But what is it, A Capable Off-Roader, with excellent all-round value.

The Engine/Transmission is good, the steering is good, the suspension is very well suited for an all round use, and is very well setup for Off-Road use.

The Transmission is tucked in nicely and the 245-75-16 tyres improves the vehicles looks and stance.

The off-road track handling is superb and so is the engine power and transmission.

In some of the Obstacles the IFS did act up, but that was expected, but there was nothing that it couldn't do.

People can buy this vehicle for what ever they desire to do and it will deliver.

Regards,

Arka
Ha ha ha ha, we knew this would be the answer once you had a feel of the actual vehicle(running short on smileys)

Spike

PS- Arka, the THAR at EXAMM & AKC was running on stock Semi-floating Rear axles, I hope you noticed that too

PPS- Headers, Blue Thunder were art thou? :-P
Old 1st July 2010, 16:57   #695
BHPian

I just heard from a lil birdie in Mahindra that the Thar is coming. very very soon

And yes. They are aware of the buzz that the Thar has created on tbhp. But then again, perhaps we all know this. Don't we?
Old 1st July 2010, 17:07   #696
Senior - BHPian

Sfra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
PS- Arka, the THAR at EXAMM & AKC was running on stock Semi-floating Rear axles, I hope you noticed that too
Hi Spike,

I did notice the Dana 44 30 Spline SFRA Axles.

Now I'm waiting to see a Thar with a Front Winch, Diff-Lockers (Front and Rear) off-road .

Regards,

Arka
Old 1st July 2010, 17:11   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
I just heard from a lil birdie in Mahindra that the Thar is coming. very very soon

And yes. They are aware of the buzz that the Thar has created on tbhp. But then again, perhaps we all know this. Don't we?
Now has this lil birdie told you anything about the price ?

I think most of us over here have seen, touched, felt and what not with the THAR.

Lets hope it sees the light of the day in the market.

Cheers
Old 1st July 2010, 17:57   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Now has this lil birdie told you anything about the price ?

I think most of us over here have seen, touched, felt and what not with the THAR.

Lets hope it sees the light of the day in the market.

Cheers
Well, they were tight lipped about the pricing and I didn't probe further since I was standing right in the middle of the M&M Motors office while having this conversation. It felt awkward.

However, from what I could gather, they are working on the branding material and stuff.
Old 1st July 2010, 18:20   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I think most of us over here have seen, touched, felt and what not with the THAR...
Could you pls elaborate on the '...and what not...' part

Quote:
... PPS- Headers, Blue Thunder were art thou? ...
Right here!

And from where I am standing, I cant see the Thar at all, leave alone 'touching/feeling/what notting' .

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 1st July 2010 at 18:24.
Old 1st July 2010, 19:40   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

But what is it, A Capable Off-Roader, with excellent all-round value.

The Engine/Transmission is good, the steering is good, the suspension is very well suited for an all round use, and is very well setup for Off-Road use.

The Transmission is tucked in nicely and the 245-75-16 tyres improves the vehicles looks and stance.

The off-road track handling is superb and so is the engine power and transmission.

Regards,

Arka
Arka,
I am so happy to see very positive feedback from you! People never had doubts about THar's on road capability, but your view on off road ability has proved it that this ia an all rounder

Quote:
Off Road : Thar or Scorp 4x4
THAR without 2nd thought
Reasons:
  1. More agile
  2. Chances of something breaking in the THAR is much lesser than Scorp
  3. Even if something breaks, it will be cheaper to fix in THAR than Scorp
  4. I'm not comfortable with the driving position in the Scorp and that was one of the major reasons to buy the Bolero.
  5. Last but not the least I'm a very cost sensitive person (sounds so better than cheap ) so the 5 lakh cost difference between rthe two will be suitable utilised in running the THAR for 1 Lakh Kms ( Rs 4/ Km for Fuel + Rs 1/Km of Maintenance)
So I'm all set to buy the THAR unless off-course TATA's launch the Defender for 6~8 Lakhs here.
Useful insight!
Old 1st July 2010, 21:50   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arka,

1. Can I put 35 inch tyres ?
2. Can The THAR do a jump [5ft or higher] during an offroad competetion and regain steering control? and vehicle composure?
3. How has the THAR with SFRA become safe after you drove one while FFRA was known to be safe all along?
4. Can I put full diff lockers front and rear
5. How does the IFS act, if there is a winch up front and the vehicle is winching another one?

Please elaborate each of the above points

On a little lighter note, The Mahindra team is too good for you

Quote:
So just like it happened with me & the Storm, M&M will again find some poor guy and do all the experimentation there .

Cant help it Anirudh, they have people like you and me all the time!

Quote:
Ha ha ha ha, PPS- Headers, Blue Thunder were art thou? :-P
LOL Spikey, welcome to my side of country with the THAR and see a gypsy do circles around it

Quote:
Right here!

And from where I am standing, I cant see the Thar at all, leave alone 'touching/feeling/what notting' .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Arka,
I am so happy to see very positive feedback from you! People never had doubts about THar's on road capability, but your view on off road ability has proved it that this ia an all rounder
Vinu my friend, Hope the THAR will pass the slalom test as well

So when is it coming?

Last edited by Dippy : 2nd July 2010 at 16:56. Reason: Deleting extra smiley.
Old 1st July 2010, 22:05   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Arka,

1. Can I put 35 inch tyres ?
2. Can The THAR do a jump [5ft or higher] during an offroad competetion and regain steering control? and vehicle composure?
3. How has the THAR with SFRA become safe after you drove one while FFRA was known to be safe all along?
4. Can I put full diff lockers front and rear
5. How does the IFS act, if there is a winch up front and the vehicle is winching another one?

Please elaborate each of the above points
Will be interesting to know what the answers to ^^ would be.

Spike

PS- Headers, I see your genuine interest in keeping the thread alive
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:36   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thar with AC and lockable cabin will make it a fantastic tourer-cum-offroader. Even road side muggers won't consider Thar as a potential target. It gives you a low profile.
Very true, and for me Thar will be a daily drive as well.
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:33   #704
BHPian

New 'practical' inputs for Thar

Hi All,

This is an amazing phenomena, where the potencial customers and the product makers meet to develop highly customised products; this has all the best ingrediants to be a 'casy study' in any business school..i am sure this would be documented and discussed in most marketing discussions..

I've some inputs here, not sure how many might agree to see them in a new Thar....i would be delighted if I see them in my Thar -

1. ECU should have 3-4 settings (like knob on the dash) - Off-road / Hill Climb, City, Highway/ Economy. One setting for all sometimes insulated the 'engine power' to 'task-on-hand'...i say this b'cos i've witnessed a almost brand new Scropio mHawk struggling to do a hill-climb (masinagudi-ooty - 36 pin-curve)...however zipping in the city and highway...no time / nor a data-set to re-map using a laptop / an ECU software...in the middle of the road!

A simple nob should do the wonders...again please do not mis-understand that i need fancy gadgets like the Skoda Yeti which does Hill-Climb and Hill-Decent on my behalf....NO.....ECU should not insulate the engine power / low end torque / control RPM....when doing an insane activilty like hard-core offroading...also it should be burried in a water / moisture-tight
cavity..

I love my Mahindra Invader even though it just produces 72BHP...it is just a treat to 'sprint' on the mountains..

2. Steering Stabiliser - which should minimise the tremors when the vehicle moved on a rough patch; also which helps the steering to be control during shot-jumps...during a high speed rally scenario..

3. Rear Seat front facing foldable seat bench...and the front navigator seat should be double-foldable for entry/exit for the rear passengers / gear.

4. Please do lauch the high-end versions at a later date which might have high-performance braking, alloy wheels (i love the auto expo ones)..I love the auto expo Adventure version with 'smaller headlamps' (slightly tucked in look)...fender-job..

Many Thanks
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:59   #705
BHPian

If Thar is out in market with MT tyre 31in / 33in (even as a separate variant) it would be most appreciated and welcomed by off-roader, as we all know that there is no manufacture in India who produce MT tyre.

May be Indian manufacture will think about producing MT tyre after that.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed