Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2010, 21:07   #811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Unfortunately a certain set of people are going to be disappointing with every product. It is tough to make every body happy. As spike explained our crazy regulations require them to make it a seven seater and the only way to do this in the Thar is to make make rear seats side facing. Any body who really wants the Thar will not let the seat configuration prevent them from buying a Thar.

Absolutely! I totally agree. Seat configuration is not a detrimental factor in preference to and the love of the Jeep. The degree of modifications can vary based on the pocket size, however here is another opportunity for M&M. If the front facing seats are offered in exchange of the rear side facing seats with x$$ in exchange at the dealer after Registration, then the rear side facing seats can be transported back to the assembly plant common parts bin for future production.

In fact I think M&M as part of the sales must work out some kinduv sports kits which will offer some OEM in exchange of the Kits.

Sport U Kit - Roll cage, Front facing Seats in exchange of Rear side facing seats, Additional Lights/Fog Lamps, Seat belts for the rear and Tyre change in exchange

Sport Y Kit - Roll cage, Front facing Seats in exchange of Rear side facing seats, Additional Lights/Fog Lamps, Seat belts for the rear, Winch with modified Winch Bumpers, tyre change in exchange & a cool sports soft top with a different cut and finish

Sport Z Kit - Roll cage, Front facing Seats in exchange of Rear side facing seats, Additional Lights/Fog Lamps, Seat belts for the rear, Winch with modified Winch Bumpers, Small door Steps in exchange of the full side foot boards, additional horns, alloy wheels, tyre change in exchange & a cool sports soft top with a different cut and finish

There could be options of front facing seats, alloys, lights and design of the roll cage

This will suit the Lifestyle requirements as well as practical requirements

Yikes!
Old 16th July 2010, 22:06   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
If the front facing seats are offered in exchange of the rear side facing seats with x$$ in exchange at the dealer after Registration, then the rear side facing seats can be transported back to the assembly plant common parts bin for future production.
Second hand parts in a brand new car? And logistical nightmares. Not to mention problems with excise gate passes.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th July 2010, 22:33   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Second hand parts in a brand new car? And logistical nightmares. Not to mention problems with excise gate passes.

Regards
Sutripta

These are new parts from a brand new showroom vehicle. Perceptions differ, utilization differs and practicality precedes.

When we buy a new car from a showroom and drive it to the nearset accessories showroom to replace the std tyres with low profile ones, what would happen to the new tyres from your brand new car?

Do you keep them at home or do you negotiate a bargain with the showroom on exchange?

Perceptions Sir and mind set.

I did mention its an opportunity for M&M to explore and determine if feasible or not and if workable or not. Don't arrive at conclusions, throw open an idea and sure we can brainstorm and see if it fits the bill or not and will be practically feasible or not.

If a brand new car from the showroom is already 2nd hand to you, then I think all of us buy a 4th hand vehicle from showrooms that are sold as new.

See what perceptions can do:
Supplier to Manufacturer purchase is where the first hand sale happens, Assembly line to the test department that puts the car through rigorous tests and label it OK could be considered as the 2nd change of hands (indirect sales from one dept. to another) the 3rd sale happens when the dealer buys the vehicle and has his sales team do the selling and register it, again an indirect sales within a unit and then finally the final sales from the sales man to the buyer. Wow! we buy a brand new 4th hand car/vehicle from the showroom.

Let's think about feasibility and possibilities and if not all, sure can make a part of it happen.

Yikes!
Old 17th July 2010, 08:38   #814
BANNED

Second Hand?

Hi, All
A few years back it was a standerd practice with mahindras , Brand new vehicles were ' driven' from factory to dealers. yes driven at long distances. As one could have seen it at that time those vehicles had a temporary number plate, those drivers made money by carrying passengers.( I have personnaly witnessed this on NH 4 , so many of us could have had. )
We all used to get NEW vehicles in which passengers were ferried.
Does this 'Practice' still continue ?
Another one , we see a lot of road tests in Auto Mags. Companies provide vehicles for such 'Tests ' . My question is where does the vehicle GO finally ? Does it go to showroom directly ? Thease are not the 'Demo' cars for sure. Thease vehicle have a temp. No.
Now do we really drive New vehicles , Is this going to happen with my 'Thar'?
any ways ,sory for a little off topic
Yours Sudarshan
Old 17th July 2010, 08:44   #815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Hi, All
A few years back it was a standerd practice with mahindras , Brand new vehicles were ' driven' from factory to dealers. yes driven at long distances. As one could have seen it at that time those vehicles had a temporary number plate, those drivers made money by carrying passengers.( I have personnaly witnessed this on NH 4 , so many of us could have had. )
Yes, it is still the practice with the Utility Vehicles. Gurkha gets delivered like that sparing you the trouble of running in. May be the same case with Mahindra/Tata UVs.
Old 17th July 2010, 08:54   #816
BHPian

I am not relying to a quote here because the objectivities of some wouldn't take the discussion any further. At times the sensibilities of a product (should) rule over the passion of a few who want it.

M&M looks at the target market of Thar this way. The target audience for them would be definitely a huge penny multiple of 50 people who are authoring this 'Thar she blows' thread. If M&M was targeting just 50 odd number here, then you definitely know that they are going to go nowhere.

M&M is here for just one thing (and rightly so) - MAKING MONEY. And those people have brains in their head (instead of a turbo charged engine). They would definitely not want to let go of customers just because the customer isn't too happy spending more in replacing something that was newly company fitted. If the exchange through some route where one gets the option of choosing something else that is more practical works out, then damn well. Else it would just be too optimistic of M&M to expect that customers would be coughing up money for stuff that they really don't want.

So M&M can either turn a great concept vehicle into a sale-able product, or can die without trying.

Can someone post a pic of a Thar with the 7er rear seating arrangement? Put it right next to a 4 seater Thar and measure the drool quotient of the two.
Old 17th July 2010, 08:54   #817
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
If swapping out the side facing seats with front facing rear seat is giving you second thoughts about the Thar, the Thar maynot be vehicle for you. In order to do this, you will need the following:

1) A set of spanners
2) Used middle row seat from Scorpio/Safari/Qualis, etc which has the 1/3 and 2/3 rd split (The used parts market of your city will have this).
3) A drill
4) Butch of nuts and bolts
5) Decent mechanic can do this for you under two hours flat.

I know this since I have done this in my 540.
This is a very valuable info. All these days (months may be..) I was trying to figure out what to do with rear seating of Thar. If Scorpio/Safari seats fits Thar, especially the split one, so that a person can get in from the rear door without disturbing the front passenger to get into the rear front facing seats. This would be an excellent option. Thank you.
Old 17th July 2010, 09:00   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, All

any ways ,sory for a little off topic
Yours Sudarshan
Sudarshan, isn't this synonymous with how we feel at restaurants? We are fine with the food we eat, as long as we don't see the kitchen. However what if we see a roach moving around there that fell in the delicious pasta the chef was cooking. What do you think he does with the situation?
1. Throw the entire Pasta
2. Throw the roach

Most likely the first option holds true.

Similarly, since you have seen the vehicles being driven, you might not get too happy. But this indeed is the case. I guess the only solution is what the chef would have done. Do that operation in a clandestine manner, so that you have no idea what you are getting.
Old 17th July 2010, 09:09   #819
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, it is still the practice with the Utility Vehicles. Gurkha gets delivered like that sparing you the trouble of running in. May be the same case with Mahindra/Tata UVs.
Add few more ( Ref . to trouble of running in )
1) on road reliebility test
2) An Overload test.
3) Seating capacity tests
OTR testing too
Yours Sudarshan
Enjoy Motoring ( Second hand )

Quote> ( by Animesh )Similarly, since you have seen the vehicles being driven, you might not get too happy. But this indeed is the case. I guess the only solution is what the chef would have done. Do that operation in a clandestine manner, so that you have no idea what you are getting.[/quote]
I Surrender, please accept my apologies dear mahindras,tatas,tempos (anyone else ?) . Will not make this Mistake again
Yours Sudarshan
Thou shall not speek the TRUTH ( In India )
P.S. I always have my meals from my own kitchen

Last edited by Samurai : 17th July 2010 at 09:23. Reason: back-to-back
Old 17th July 2010, 11:16   #820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, All
A few years back it was a standerd practice with mahindras , Brand new vehicles were ' driven' from factory to dealers.

Another one , we see a lot of road tests in Auto Mags. Companies provide vehicles for such 'Tests ' . My question is where does the vehicle GO finally ?
Does it go to showroom directly ?

Commercial vehicles still continue to be driven to dealer locations (although I'm not sure of long distance ones)

The vehicles given to Auto Mags for testing are Marketing vehicles, these never reach the hands of customers. These are used/rebuild/scrapped after a certain period of time.

Modalities for Thar are still being worked out and mostly they will be shipped (similar to Scorpios) and not driven.

Spike
Old 17th July 2010, 12:42   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
Can someone post a pic of a Thar with the 7er rear seating arrangement? Put it right next to a 4 seater Thar and measure the drool quotient of the two.
And whoever is very keen on doing this can also send a copy of the picture to CMVR to ask them to change Indian laws regarding the commerical vehicle plates for 4 seats and after that I am sure Mahindra can oblige is with a 4 seater Thar that doesn't have to painted yellow front and back and doesn't need yellow plates.

Personally, I feel it maybe easier to change the seat configuration after market than convince Indian Regulators to change laws so that the Thar can be launched with 4 seat configuration.

Looks at Kittigadus jeep with side facing seats. Hope it is good looking enough to convince you to get the Thar with side facing seats.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...50-xd-4x4.html

Mate forward facing rear seats are much better, but if you are expecting it from Mahindra Thar, you will be disappointing. No point blaming Mahindra, Our Indian gov bureaucrats are to blame.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 17th July 2010 at 12:53.
Old 17th July 2010, 15:07   #822
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why so much of discussion over 4 or 7 seats when you can change everything once the vehicle is out of the showroom. When we do it for tyres, why not for seats.

Also tell me how many times do we really have more than 2 people in the car.

Let THAR see the light of the day and then we will see what to do with the seating.
Old 17th July 2010, 16:41   #823
BHPian

Just bought my Warn XD9000 winch for the THAR
Now all i need is the launch date to make my day!
Attached Thumbnails
Thar she blows !!-img_0079.jpg  

Thar she blows !!-img_0080.jpg  

Old 17th July 2010, 18:56   #824
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I don't understand why so much of discussion over 4 or 7 seats when you can change everything once the vehicle is out of the showroom. When we do it for tyres, why not for seats.
Exactly my view as well mate. Rear seats should not be the deciding factor to buy or not buy the Thar. The point I am making is that if this is a sore point, the person obviously is not a Jeeper !
Old 17th July 2010, 19:51   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The point I am making is that if this is a sore point, the person obviously is not a Jeeper !
+ 1 to that .

P.S: I still not been able to understand whats not so cool about 7 seats / rear bench. For me its best because you can fold it up and put your mattress for sleeping on long journeys. But I guess I'm not the uber-cool GenY guy.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st July 2010 at 21:28. Reason: Post edited after some repost. Lets not get too "jeepers vs everyone else". Thanks :)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed