Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 05:07   #841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Senthil,

How much of Frictional Losses can 2 Additional bearings in the FFRA cause?

Then What about the Front Axle its 4WD and what about the Lack of Free-Wheeling Hubs.
With the bunch of specs that are desired but will not be in the end-product, does it really make sense to buy Thar? I had been hooked to these threads for a while now and see that with all alternations to the true version, Thar will end up being just another jeep and nothing like what it was initially targeted to be. IMHO. If it is priced too high, it will make more sense to re-build an army disposal vehicle where you can add whatever you desire and get a jeep that you want and that too at much lesser cost.

Thar is becoming more of a hype than a machine that you would really crave for. Again IMO.
Old 20th July 2010, 08:24   #842
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
With the bunch of specs that are desired but will not be in the end-product, does it really make sense to buy Thar? I had been hooked to these threads for a while now and see that with all alternations to the true version, Thar will end up being just another jeep and nothing like what it was initially targeted to be. IMHO.
@somubj: As has been said many times before in this thread. Thar will not make everybody happy, period. But Mahindra being a commercial enterprise has to draw a balance between the "true version" and market realities.

The rebuild of army vehicles will always remain for the hard core jeep builder who wants to build everything from scratch. But there are so many newbie jeepers on this forum who in their enthusiasm for jeeps but with limited knowledge of jeeps have ended up getting clunkers and spending a fortune on it only to be happy with the end result. Building your own jeep is not for everybody and there will be many who are happy with the Thar.

I build my own jeep but if the Thar was available off the shelf with the sweet engine and refinements, I honestly wouldn't bother to build up a jeep from scratch given the time/money/effort it took me.
Old 20th July 2010, 08:48   #843
BANNED

To all

Hello, everyone .
I have a 540 for almost 21 years, I would like to know a few things about Thar .
I have noticed a few shortcomings of the 540 , some of which are taken care in the Thar ( Box/tubular chassis, larger fuel tank, powerfull engine,thus good highway speed etc. ) .But I would like to know about the following shortcomings( Photos provided )
1)Groundclearance below the G.B. cross member
2) Groundclearence below fuel tank
3) Hazardus fuel supply line 'Below' the tank & also the drain plug.
In the following photos I have placed a 11" high object for reference point .
Note: I am No engineer but the experiance & few wise men have tauht me,this are just a laymans quries.
Yours Sudarshan
P.S. Please note this 540 runs on 7.00 X 15 crossply tyres.( Not low profile radials )
Attached Thumbnails
Thar she blows !!-100_0384.jpg  

Thar she blows !!-100_0385.jpg  

Thar she blows !!-100_0387.jpg  

Thar she blows !!-100_0392.jpg  

Last edited by Sudarshan : 20th July 2010 at 08:54.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:42   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
With the bunch of specs that are desired but will not be in the end-product, does it really make sense to buy Thar? I had been hooked to these threads for a while now and see that with all alternations to the true version, Thar will end up being just another jeep and nothing like what it was initially targeted to be. IMHO. If it is priced too high, it will make more sense to re-build an army disposal vehicle where you can add whatever you desire and get a jeep that you want and that too at much lesser cost.

Thar is becoming more of a hype than a machine that you would really crave for. Again IMO.
This would certainly be a deterrent factor for people when they have to spend around 6 Lacs for getting a car and then put an additional 2 lacs for overhauling (and make a real Jeep out of a chasis, body and engine). These are just ball-park figures ofcourse, but then whoever (read more money than brains) wants to pay 8-9 lacs would still be enthusiastic about the end product.

Btw, someone here might be interested in picking up a Black-Willys for sale at CST Road, Kalina, Santacruz East, Mumbai. I had no time to stop and have a close look at the product, but the body looked in good shape and tires were monster mean. I mean those tires themselves are worth huge grands.
Old 20th July 2010, 11:21   #845
Senior - BHPian

2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Emission tests are always done in 2WD configuration.

Spike
Hi Spike,

So with a Locked Front Axle Flanges the Front Propeller Shaft will rotate in 2WD .

So what about these frictional losses, at 400 RPM and 5Kgs = 2000Kgs of useless work per minute!!!!!

Has that been factored in for CMVR & ARAI regulation or is it a case of those Know, Don't Care, and those who Care, Don't Know.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 20th July 2010 at 11:23.
Old 20th July 2010, 11:40   #846
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I know its been posted here somewhere, but could someone please fill me in on why the free wheeling hubs were opted out for the Thar?
Old 20th July 2010, 12:27   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Spike,

So with a Locked Front Axle Flanges the Front Propeller Shaft will rotate in 2WD .
Who said that Locked front axle flanges will be offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I know its been posted here somewhere, but could someone please fill me in on why the free wheeling hubs were opted out for the Thar?
DKG Sir, that black vehicle sported a fixed hub as we are trying to experiment a few things with FE, Tyre wear, Steering effort, Steering feel, Drive-line stress/wear, torque integrity, reliability, water ingress etc. It has nothing to do with emissions whatsoever.

Spike

PS- I am surprised to see the thread starter back after a very long time :-)
Old 20th July 2010, 12:41   #848
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I am surprised to see the thread starter back after a very long time :-)

Just wanted to double check if the car will be sold with free wheeling hubs !!

I am now told it will be
Old 20th July 2010, 12:42   #849
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Deepak - Thar will come with automatic hubs. During 2 wheel drive cruise mode, the front propeller shaft / axle shafts will not rotate. As I had indicated before also, the EXAMM / AKC vehicle was knowingly downgraded for performance by various actions, one of which was increased driveline friction, therefore the flanges were fitted. Even with this downgraded configuration, I regularly use the vehicle between Nasik and Mumbai at 120+ speeds.

Dear Arka - we know and we care also. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 20th July 2010 at 12:44. Reason: add info
Old 20th July 2010, 12:56   #850
Senior - BHPian

Knowing & Caring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Deepak - Thar will come with automatic hubs. During 2 wheel drive cruise mode, the front propeller shaft / axle shafts will not rotate. As I had indicated before also, the EXAMM / AKC vehicle was knowingly downgraded for performance by various actions, one of which was increased driveline friction, therefore the flanges were fitted. Even with this downgraded configuration, I regularly use the vehicle between Nasik and Mumbai at 120+ speeds.

Dear Arka - we know and we care also.
Hello Sir,

What will the Speed be with Fixed Front Axle Flanges and FFRA with the Armada 98 Hubs with Bigger Bearings? 119.99+ Kmph?

Regards,

Arka
Old 20th July 2010, 14:28   #851
Team-BHP Support

Hmm so it will be like scorpio, when you finish using 4x4, you need to shift to 2WD and then reverse for a few meters(if 4x4 was used in forward gears)?
Old 20th July 2010, 14:34   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tanveer - YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT (AS ALWAYS)! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 20th July 2010, 18:29   #853
BHPian

Mahindra Thar South African TV Commercial

For the record,
R 1,69,900 = INR 10,48,344

Scorpio 2.6 GLX 4x4's price in South Africa is
R 2,21,000 = INR 13,63,650

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 20th July 2010 at 18:31.
Old 20th July 2010, 18:51   #854
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Great ad, I guessed Mahindra has focused on the USP of this product in SA.. i.e the price.
Old 21st July 2010, 05:52   #855
BHPian

i have a question to all those who have driven the thar:
will it be able to provide the gypsy some competition on the rally circuit? or is that totally not in the view?
sharat
Closed Thread

Most Viewed