Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 11:37   #931
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually it is cheaper if it is after sales dealer fitment. We don't have to pay ridiculous amount of road tax on it.
Yep if it is a dealier fitment - one saves on insurance amount, road tax (that too post factory excise), and as well. Ofcourse we do have to pay the tax on the purchase as is normal.

The Hardtop one looks quite nice and the vehicle should be quite reliable, and if around 7 after adding the Hardtop in the AC variant, it could be an alternative to the refurbishment business that we do with old army vehciles. We would just need to add larger Maxis tyres, rollcage and alloys and be ready to go. Will be the most reilable OTR option.
Old 6th August 2010, 13:17   #932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually it is cheaper if it is after sales dealer fitment. We don't have to pay ridiculous amount of road tax on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yep if it is a dealier fitment - one saves on insurance amount, road tax (that too post factory excise), and as well. Ofcourse we do have to pay the tax on the purchase as is normal.

IF it is dealer fitment, then we are subject to a lot of vagaries like water leakage and such irritants. NO dealer has the capacity to match factory standards in assembly.

IMO, it should be a factory fitment. VN_my_foe, hope you are listening.

Whatever we save on taxes, we will waste on the time spent with the dealer learning to set right our vehicle at our cost and time!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Today, even customers who go for bottom end hatches require AC as a must have feature. I do not think marketing department will ignore that requirement.
Yup, There are hardly any vehicles that comes without AC in the country. Infact the THAR CAR should go a step ahead and give us automatic climate control
Old 6th August 2010, 13:45   #933
Senior - BHPian

The Mahindra dealer closest to me I can not trust with a wash and lube, they ARE that bad...and I am not kidding.

But a hard top is so easy to install that I might even try it myself. And these are the hands that killed 453 people before I reluctantly gave up neurosurgery and joined the Army, recognizing that I was better at taking lives than saving them.
(I left a few twitchers out there, too.)

A/C? My local guy ain't going to do that!
Old 6th August 2010, 20:28   #934
Senior - BHPian

Legal Issues

Hi,
What is the legal status regarding the 7 bar grille? The Thar is being sold abroad.

Has the Scorpio met all the legal requirements for sale in US? If so, how does it differ from the Scorpios we get here?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th August 2010, 21:49   #935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,

Has the Scorpio met all the legal requirements for sale in US? If so, how does it differ from the Scorpios we get here?

Regards
Sutripta
OT- It comes with a 140 HP engine, ABS, Airbags, TCS, fulfilling one of the strictest crash and emission norms as of date.

Spike
Old 6th August 2010, 22:14   #936
Senior - BHPian

Ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
OT- It comes with a 140 HP engine, ABS, Airbags, TCS, fulfilling one of the strictest crash and emission norms as of date.
Spike
Thanks.

I was not talking of the add-ons. Has there been any structural changes?

Are CARB norms for diesels stricter than the federal norms? Where would the Scorpio stand if it were not a SUV?

And is the Scorpio also being sold in the US with the same grille as in India?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th August 2010, 00:16   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
What is the legal status regarding the 7 bar grille? The Thar is being sold abroad.
Chrysler lost the lawsuit about the Hummer grille so I take it, all is well for M&M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
fulfilling one of the strictest crash and emission norms as of date.
Still fulfilling but not fulfilled?
Old 7th August 2010, 05:07   #938
KMT
BHPian

OT- Sutripta/Spike I thought Safety was the primary cause of the delay of M&M into US as per the test below (ANCAP) 2 Star safety rating for Mahindra Pik Up, is this outdated information?

The Mahindra Pik-up scored 3.44 out of 16 in the offset crash test. The passenger compartment held its shape reasonably well, except for steering column, footwell and pedal intrusion. Protection from serious leg injury was poor for the driver. Chest protection was weak for the driver and passenger. Driver head protection was also weak.

The vehicle was awarded a default score of 16 out of 16 in the side impact crash test. However, the low offset score meant that the vehicle was limited to a 2 star rating and an overall score of 16.49 (the maximum available for a 2 star rating).

More detail at-
www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au - MAHINDRA PIK-UP 2007 - Summary safety report
Old 7th August 2010, 06:20   #939
AWD
BHPian

The pick up in the above link seems to be either Scorpio or Bolero based. If this is their state, not surprising actually, except Thar to have a poorer show.
Old 7th August 2010, 10:12   #940
Senior - BHPian

OMG, you guys are ripping them apart!! [post #938 and #939]

It is a well known fact that they give your more metal - Is that not safe enough??

Ok seriously speaking.

M&M should look at other modern SUVs from competetors [Not TATA Safari pls] to understand and improve.

[@DB Sir, I have the best job in the world - Log onto TBHP and make statements on improving vehicles ]

For instance, the Nissan X Trail has the entire front mudguard assembly made of fibre to begin with.
Old 7th August 2010, 10:14   #941
Senior - BHPian

the photo of the italian Thar with the HT makes me wonder if it is infact a two piece HT or a single piece?

1st piece between the pillar A and B, and the second being the big rear piece?
Old 7th August 2010, 10:57   #942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Still fulfilling but not fulfilled?
Fulfilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
OT- Sutripta/Spike I thought Safety was the primary cause of the delay of M&M into US as per the test below (ANCAP) 2 Star safety rating for Mahindra Pik Up, is this outdated information?
A lot of things have happen since. BTW the CJ design (on a whole) has some inherent flaws which makes it cumbersome to meet crash norms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
the photo of the italian Thar with the HT makes me wonder if it is infact a two piece HT or a single piece?

1st piece between the pillar A and B, and the second being the big rear piece?
It is 2 piece.

Spike
Old 8th August 2010, 18:23   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
OMG, you guys are ripping them apart!! [post #938 and #939]
No, its the impacts which are ripping the vehicles apart!

To me, more frightening than the Scorpios faring poorly in the crash tests is the fact that MM submitted such a vehicle for certification.

Either MM did not know it was going to fare so badly, or
MM knew, but thought it did not matter.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 9th August 2010, 22:40   #944
BANNED

Is the THAR coming with HT/ST? Before MM launches THAR it should train their dealers(sales & Service) on the 4x4 and stuff.They hardly know anything about the extra lever popping out from gearbox
Old 9th August 2010, 23:40   #945
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
To me, more frightening than the Scorpios faring poorly in the crash tests is the fact that MM submitted such a vehicle for certification.
Either MM did not know it was going to fare so badly, or
MM knew, but thought it did not matter.
I think its more got to do with the type of consumers MM has in India, its traditional market. People over here, typically MM consumers do not ask for safety, they give precedence to their own abilities than the vehicles to survive or avoid an accident. Its common to hear MM consumers say that they know of their vehicles lack of ability & drive accordingly. Now, one can guess what sort of products a Company would device for such consumers!

Another point usually raised is about the vehicle pricing, where some say that at the cost MM provides vehicles, its impossible to provide safety.

As an old saying goes "You get what you ask", now pity over here is that Consumers are not asking & hence the Company is least interested in providing.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks