Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 10:57   #46
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Something like this will be done, talked with a bus body fabricator over here and - he was absolutely excited to do something different!
I've been long planning to do something like the XV-JP. Will do it someday

Once I get the Thar will make it. However mine will be removeable unlike the Earthroamer vehicle.
Old 20th May 2010, 11:23   #47
BHPian

Main thing is to give it a lot of leg room for tall guys like us who are over 6 feet plus. If I can fit in it comfortable then its worth it.
Old 20th May 2010, 11:25   #48
Muzungu

guys lets not ask the OEM MM to change the shape of the 540 (CJ5), because it will not be changed and it will be launched as it is! its a heritage classic shape.

now what we all can post or show what we want the basic THAR to be modified as.

some people would like to import parts from the land of the Wrangler, and others will fabricate some part in the land of the THAR itself.

so let it be bigger AT/MT/HT tyres, alloy wheels, Indian Army 550 look, mud slugger, family OTR jeep, weekend luxury lifestyle vehicle, beach buggy etc.

let the ideas flow guys

Old 20th May 2010, 11:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

DKG,
Thanks for this thread. I appriciate your approach. I have got the communication. Best and the most feasible options MAY happen.
Old 20th May 2010, 11:42   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Deepak,

One Query.

Is this thread for possible modifications to the Thar or suggestions to the company on how to make the Thar more desirable?

Why this query?

If this is suggesting to Mahindra on how to modify the shape, then fine go ahead. But i think that the body panels, etc are already stamped and the die is cast and it's too late now.

If we are talking mods after buying the car, i personally think we are counting our chickens too early.

- The car is atleast 6 months away before the first person will own her. No one knows exact dimensions.
- I don't think anyone will do body modifications immediately after buying her. Infact Mahindra will need an excuse to void warrantee even if you change to a non OE bulb.
- Changing to larger tyres, etc as suggested will also void warrantee.

All, people can do is make minor cosmetic mods like:
- trail flags
- extra lights
- maybe custom bumpers and winch
- plastic fenders (which will get ripped off)
- decals
- alloys and tyres
- music system

I think the thread will die or get locked by the time the Thar is actually launched.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 20th May 2010 at 11:43. Reason: added info
Old 20th May 2010, 11:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
DKG,
Thanks for this thread. I appriciate your approach. I have got the communication. Best and the most feasible options MAY happen.
The tone sounds very very familiar. BOSS, you are still there is it?

Thanks you made my day
Old 20th May 2010, 11:54   #52
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
However mine will be removeable unlike the Earthroamer vehicle.
That would be like the best of both worlds! Would be banking on you if and when we come to that stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I don't think anyone will do body modifications immediately after buying her. Infact Mahindra will need an excuse to void warrantee even if you change to a non OE bulb.
This is the biggest worry that all can have. A jeep which one cannot modify other than what they say or approve through their showrooms - the scenario may be exactly the way you say.

May be thats why warranty itself is measly at 50k or 2 years!

Last edited by adc : 20th May 2010 at 11:59.
Old 20th May 2010, 12:15   #53
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Main thing is to give it a lot of leg room for tall guys like us who are over 6 feet plus. If I can fit in it comfortable then its worth it.
My truck camper was planned keeping in mind comfort while standing. You don't want a aching neck after a long day of outdoor fun would you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzungu View Post
so let it be bigger AT/MT/HT tyres, alloy wheels, Indian Army 550 look, mud slugger, family OTR jeep, weekend luxury lifestyle vehicle, beach buggy etc.

let the ideas flow guys
Exactly my thoughts

Quote:
DKG,
Interesting

Quote:
Is this thread for possible modifications to the Thar or suggestions to the company on how to make the Thar more desirable?
This thread is about creativity. No cap no restrictions no rules no limitations. Let it be wild whacky outlandish, rational, brilliant, anything.

Its an ideas thread. M&M can draw on such discussions as it also gives them the gist of what many people desire. Its like feeler guage into people's design preferences.

Some of what people will discuss or post pictures of their mods/prefs will be implementable before the Thar gets released. They can be practical low cost trinkets that make the car look hot. Our suggestion is to go along with the army spec look.

That said there are some serious suggestions emerging about the future mods the car could go in for. That's precious info for someone like M&M as it gives the general direction a refreshed Thar will see. After all changes on a production car takes time. You need to start planning for the next version even before the current one sees the light of day in the Indian market.

There's a lot fo creativity in what people do. See what Fazal could do with a staid bland looking 540. Its a remarkable achievement. I am hoping more will share. See the Rubicon clone !! Its a real eye opener on the talent that exists here and the potential it hold for future models or even upgrades to existing models.

So much of our lives get affected by ideas. And this forum is a brilliant tool to leverage that collective genious. Why not?

Quote:
Would be banking on you if and when we come to that stage.

The XV-JP is simply brilliant in terms of packaging. Once I complete my current camper project I will make one for the Thar Will update you when I start

This is the biggest worry that all can have. A jeep which one cannot modify other than what they say or approve through their showrooms - the scenario may be exactly the way you say.

May be thats why warranty itself is measly at 50k or 2 years!
Old 20th May 2010, 12:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This thread is about creativity. No cap no restrictions no rules no limitations. Let it be wild whacky outlandish, rational, brilliant, anything.

Its an ideas thread. M&M can draw on such discussions as it also gives them the gist of what many people desire. Its like feeler guage into people's design preferences.

Some of what people will discuss or post pictures of their mods/prefs will be implementable before the Thar gets released. They can be practical low cost trinkets that make the car look hot. Our suggestion is to go along with the army spec look.

That said there are some serious suggestions emerging about the future mods the car could go in for. That's precious info for someone like M&M as it gives the general direction a refreshed Thar will see. After all changes on a production car takes time. You need to start planning for the next version even before the current one sees the light of day in the Indian market.

There's a lot fo creativity in what people do. See what Fazal could do with a staid bland looking 540. Its a remarkable achievement. I am hoping more will share. See the Rubicon clone !! Its a real eye opener on the talent that exists here and the potential it hold for future models or even upgrades to existing models.

So much of our lives get affected by ideas. And this forum is a brilliant tool to leverage that collective genious. Why not?
Headers,
Iam very much there, only lack of time and role change has reduced my posts on this forum. The point you brought out is brilliant. M&M is certainly keeping a tab on emerging tastes and styling trends. The best and the most feasible will come out.
But i would request not to loose heart if anything very much desired is not happening. DB, spike and me together as a team are trying to get the best that will suit all tastes.

As lord Krishna said- " Karm Karo par Fal ki Itcha mat Karo". Do your duty without expecting results. If it happens you feel good, if it doesnt- you dont mind and move on!

p.s I hope all understand major design stages is not possible. We are just talking about add ons here.
Old 20th May 2010, 12:55   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Deepak,

One Query.

Why this query?

If this is suggesting to Mahindra on how to modify the shape, then fine go ahead. But i think that the body panels, etc are already stamped and the die is cast and it's too late now.

If we are talking mods after buying the car, i personally think we are counting our chickens too early.

- The car is atleast 6 months away before the first person will own her. No one knows exact dimensions.
- I don't think anyone will do body modifications immediately after buying her. Infact Mahindra will need an excuse to void warrantee even if you change to a non OE bulb.
- Changing to larger tyres, etc as suggested will also void warrantee.

All, people can do is make minor cosmetic mods like:
- trail flags
- extra lights
- maybe custom bumpers and winch
- plastic fenders (which will get ripped off)
- decals
- alloys and tyres
- music system

I think the thread will die or get locked by the time the Thar is actually launched.
Just my 2 cents.
+1 to that. we are simply showing a JEEP wrangler to M&M asking them to copy from it. Haven't M&M seen any JEEP wranglers or rubicons before??

Few things:
THAR cannot be a camper, then we should ask for a LWB THAR. If THAR is built as camper, there is no enough room to sleep. if the body height is increased, then you can never take it to where you want to.
For this application we have Bolero Camper.
Tires size should not be altered, as this will affect emissions and OEM has to take care of it by not allowing the user to meddle with it. but for this there is a possibility which M&M has to discover.

just my 2 cents..
Old 20th May 2010, 13:06   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Headers,
Iam very much there, only lack of time and role change has reduced my posts on this forum. The point you brought out is brilliant. M&M is certainly keeping a tab on emerging tastes and styling trends. The best and the most feasible will come out.
But i would request not to loose heart if anything very much desired is not happening. DB, spike and me together as a team are trying to get the best that will suit all tastes.
So VN my friend, I will have to wait until 2014 to decide about my THAR

Maybe if the math is right, it could become a logical upgrade from my gypsy!!

BTW, why not involve more guys from your side to read this forum? atleast they will get to read the negatives about their product. We may be a minority but we are not wrong!!
Old 20th May 2010, 13:10   #57
BHPian

how abt this?
That's a redone mahindra international jeep!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-intrnatnl-jeep-conv.jpg  

Old 20th May 2010, 13:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....There are risks and we don't want a simple classic shape ruined with overenthusiastic styling. Read Thar done up for Expo. That would be a disaster sir...
I don't think the styling will go that extreme Yes i saw the THAR at the expo on the very 1st day and the only thing i liked were the rims & tyres (which were imported specifically for the dress up).

Quote:
So I say play it safe, go the MM550 way. Most Jeep lovers will love the 550 look. Atleast it will make the car look smarter than a plain jane.
Well yeah lot many people will definitely prefer that. But in that case stuffs like alloys are a no no.

Quote:
BUT, and a BIG BUT if M&M styling can come up with design elements like what the guys in Hyderabad have done to the old plain jane CJ5 then you will have a killer.
I remember the 1st time i saw the pics of the Hyderabad jeeps, i kept on dreaming about those day in & out for next couple of months! Lot many people i saw added same types of components but the finishing tones are no where near those jeeps. That is perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
Why not on these lines:

Pic Source: :: Welcome to Mahindra-customisation.com ::
Oh no,its just an avenue for spending some unreasonable amount of money! If M&M gives options for customization of THAR, it has to be drastically different than what they did to Major Souvenir or Bolero Inspira.

Quote:
..Thus, something like this will be done - talked with a bus body fabricator over here and - he was absolutely excited to do something different!
Attachment 351448
[http://www.earthroamer.com]...
Well doing this kind of customization with THAR will not lead to a good result. A better bet for this is the Tata single/dual pick ups, as DKG has been doing. A good idea for jeep is to incorporate a foldable roof tent kind of set-up if someone is aiming for a camper kind of vehicle. But that will NOT be cheap!
Old 21st May 2010, 00:48   #59
Muzungu

i heard something called 'THAR Sport' will also be coming as an upgraded version, from the factory itself for those with extra $$$!

is this true?

Last edited by Muzungu : 21st May 2010 at 00:52.

Old 21st May 2010, 09:42   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzungu View Post
i heard something called 'THAR Sport' will also be coming as an upgraded version, from the factory itself for those with extra $$$!
is this true?
That indeed is a good news. I guess it makes sense to offer a fully loaded model (in terms of mechanical upgrades) with some additional money particularly when the standard 4wd model itself is not going to be that cheap. And it will probably satisfy the 'hardcore offroaders' too.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks