Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 21:11   #16
BANNED

Is'nt it old wine in a new bottle story.

I've seen marvelous rendition of the Mahindra jeep by many jeep enthusiasts across the country. Against them the Thar is a scar.

Sorry for being rude, but this is just another jeep.
Old 19th May 2010, 21:20   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The Wrangler looked hot stock. Here's a nice rear three quarter view

Attachment 350978

Without a doubt the first thing that has to go on the Thar is the side foot step, something smaller like the army spec can come in for people who need them for ease of getting in and out

Alloy design options:

Attachment 350979
I want the THAR to be in this avaTHAR
Old 19th May 2010, 21:27   #18
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Is'nt it old wine in a new bottle story.
No sir, its actually new wine in an old bottle !!

BTW Porsche adapts this philosophy to much success for the 911 which is anything but old in mechanicals. However, in shape and principle its 47 years old !! They are very clear about 2 things for the 911. It must always look like any 911 ever built and it must always have a boxer. Everything else is up for change in a 911 !!

The legendary CJ5 body is anything but a scar in its basic design. Take a look at our army 550 and tell me you think its a blot on detailing. It looks simply outstanding.

As I see it the painting on the Thar canvas still needs to be tweaked and M&M have the answer right at home in their army spec MM550
Old 19th May 2010, 21:31   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Deepak - WOW! Thanks for starting this priceless thread.

You know we talked about me making one for "you know who". I guess I'll just go ahead and do it now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 19th May 2010, 21:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

A 550 type of jeep can be either at the two extremes in terms of appearances: Basic rugged looking (as in typical army jeep but in a different colour shade than army green) without any loud accessories OR an out and out sporty looking with metallic paint, alloys, A/T or M/T tyres, customized bumpers, tops etc etc. Being a new jeep fresh from the factory with a metallic shade, THAR is more oriented towards the 2nd one IMHO.
But if couple of new THARs are given to Fazal sir for customization, i guess each of the outcome is going to be different and unique in own ways Every time i see your white jeep the same word comes back to my mind...WOW

Last edited by Kandisa : 19th May 2010 at 21:36. Reason: grammar check
Old 19th May 2010, 21:41   #21
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
You know we talked about me making one for "you know who". I guess I'll just go ahead and do it now.
I have shot another dart in the sky, hope it finds its mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
A 550 type of jeep can be either at the two extremes in terms of appearances: Basic rugged looking (as in typical army jeep but in a different colour shade than army green) without any loud accessories OR an out and out sporty looking with metallic paint, alloys, A/T or M/T tyres, customized bumpers, tops etc etc. Being a new jeep fresh from the factory with a metallic shade, THAR is more oriented towards the 2nd one IMHO.
But if couple of new THARs are given to Fazal sir for customization, i guess each of the outcome is going to be different and unique in own ways Every time i see your white jeep the same word comes back to my mind...WOW
I totally agree with what you say. But my fear is M&M's styling department can also botch it up. Not everything is "with the times"

There are risks and we don't want a simple classic shape ruined with overenthusiastic styling. Read Thar done up for Expo. That would be a disaster sir.

So I say play it safe, go the MM550 way. Most Jeep lovers will love the 550 look. Atleast it will make the car look smarter than a plain jane.

BUT, and a BIG BUT if M&M styling can come up with design elements like what the guys in Hyderabad have done to the old plain jane CJ5 then you will have a killer.

The suggestion is let the Thar come into showrooms looking like a 550 with those small touches like grab handles, headlight grills, insect mesh etc.

Those who have great taste and vision will obviously turn it into what the Hyderabad Jeeps look like.

Lets just hope no one in M&M gets inspired by Dabwali Jeeps !!

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st May 2010 at 20:25. Reason: Merging consecutive posts.
Old 19th May 2010, 21:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Deepak,
Just love our army 550 looks in white, (the pics you posted) especially the matching white mug bang in front grille.
Also may I humbly post pics. of my first MM, where I tried to emulate the white army ones, even today many remeber that Jeep and associate it with me. Had ordered all parts direct from M&M for it including wheel rims and all visible accessories.
The 360 degrees Chicago police spot light is still with me.
Regards,
Attachment 351188

Attachment 351189

Attachment 351190

One word B R I L L I A N T .

The changes make the jeep so much more desireable.

Cheers
Old 19th May 2010, 21:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Sir,

Please start that new thread which will make "Hardcore" Offroaders something to start saving for their next JEEP

Regards,
Old 19th May 2010, 22:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Deepak and all, who have liked my white MM, I highly appreciate it.

However, Design Heads at Mahindra... Do not repeat these mistakes, what was showcased at the auto expo 2010.

1. When much has been done to change the led tail lamp cluster, why were the front indicator/ parking assembly not changed? It looks obsolete and imbalances the front compared to the rear.

2. Side air scoops are not bad, the fenders are a poor job. something like the Wrangler fenders would enhance the front end tremendously and make the front end more muscular.

3. The old side view mirrors need not be retained for sure.

4. The four Hella's on top are outdated.

5. Front double pipe bumper are outdated too and do not match the rear
bumper. The rear too needs to be put away.

6. The windshield needs to be the lift up type.

7. Roll cage design over the front seats is too slant and will look ugly once a top is stretched over it, this is to raise the height from front to rear to accommodate the high back rear bucket seats...it will also result in a boxy type top and raise the height of the jeep unnecessarily adding to the body roll.

8. The two twin exhaust tail pipes look very overdone.

Regards,
Old 19th May 2010, 22:33   #25
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Fazal lets specifically take each item

1. Fender lamps

What are the options? Do we revert to the side lights into the grill face? You have the side indicators in the fender too so even from the front a person will see the light flash below the headlamps and the side flasher too

Any ideas?

Until then some food for thought, hot looking Wrangler

Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-2009jeepwrangler2drsaharapic13714.jpeg.jpg

Notice what a difference an angled windscreen makes to overall appearance. Gives the car an instant sporting stance

Last edited by DKG : 19th May 2010 at 22:52.
Old 19th May 2010, 22:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Basic, Jeep big and bold indicators. Something like this.
Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-img_4195.jpg
For the sides something like this.
[ATTACH]351322[/ATTACH]

Slope the top at the rear to add a sporty, youthful look and cut out the boxy feel.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-j10.jpg  

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 19th May 2010 at 23:10.
Old 19th May 2010, 23:01   #27
DKG
Senior - BHPian

custom wrangler, many detailing cues can be applied to the Thar

Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-redcj7psfrt.jpg
Old 19th May 2010, 23:03   #28
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Basic, Jeep big and bold indicators. Something like this.
Yes this is how they did it on the Wranglers. The Rubicon for a while had flush lamps in the fender and now they seem to have gone back to the old style lights like what you show

Here's the other option of flush mounted side lamps

Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-jeepwrangler_unlimited_2004_1024x768_wallpaper_01.jpg

Last edited by DKG : 19th May 2010 at 23:10.
Old 19th May 2010, 23:15   #29
Muzungu

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Deepak, im glad you started this thread and see 'Santa Claus' himself appriciating the thread!

good work Deepak. nobody could have done this better, but you!

Old 19th May 2010, 23:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Deepak,
In the Jeep, Rubicon, Sahara pic posted by you. Notice the shovel and out door equipment on the top which gives you a direct hard impact of a GETAWAY vehicle and invites you to do just that. This is something if incorporated into Thar can give the same message apart from adding to the looks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks