Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 22:02   #121
BHPian

Its always possible to fasten one single piece of water resistant material, over the top with seams in the rainy season..
Maybe it won't look all that good, but that way, you get your waterproof top during the rains, and your versatile top during the other months...
Old 27th May 2010, 22:15   #122
Senior - BHPian

Do we have any company that makes such custom removable fibre hard tops in India?
But again not sure how many would actually go for it as a fibre top would be on the expensive side.
Old 27th May 2010, 22:16   #123
BHPian

Rendering No.3

Took some time off from exams. This is a nice stress buster indeed. Phew!

I've been pondering over some of the suggestions made:
  1. Raked windscreen - I doubt whether this will ever get implemented in the final production version. A raked windscreen will involve change in the sidedoor and its window design which will increase costs further. M&M has been using the same door for ages. And I don't think they can mass-produce a different design for a niche product. I may be wrong here.
  2. USDM Jeep Taillamps (as suggested by Krishnathanthri) - The exact same design can't be used for the simple reason that there would be no provision for reverse lighting which is mandatory by law, I guess. Anyway, will try to work on this.
  3. Smaller/shorter doors (similar to the tinkering done by 1100D) - Again impractical. Why? Not only will this be a new door design but also side windows won't be accomodated (they'll have to be too tall which is impossible). Thus, air-conditioning option goes for a toss.
Nevertheless, some quick chops:
1. Got rid of the sidesteps and added a small bar (it's not clear though)
2. Power antenna (form over function... just for the drool factor)
3. Snorkel
4. Mahindra decal/embossing on the windshield a la export Thar
5. Mahindra Thar hard top as found in photos posted elsewhere
6. White front indicator lenses (on the hard top version)
7. "2500 CRDe Turbo" Decals on the hardtop

Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-thar-3.jpg
Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-thar-3-ht.jpg

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 27th May 2010 at 22:27.
Old 28th May 2010, 00:28   #124
BHPian

Superb rendering Salil, especially the HT one. I'd prefer the snorkel to be left out. Doesn't look good on a wonderful design. Would also love to integrate the indicators into the front bumper just below the place where the indicators are currently placed.

Regards,
Zorro4X4
Old 28th May 2010, 04:21   #125
BHPian

This is too cool Salil,

You are correct about them doors.

All the M&M Jeeps that have doors have the same doors and i dont know why they can change it.....

The front looks very good so does the top.

Sell this design to M&M
Old 28th May 2010, 09:02   #126
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Took some time off from exams. This is a nice stress buster indeed. Phew!

I've been pondering over some of the suggestions made:
  1. Raked windscreen - I doubt whether this will ever get implemented in the final production version. A raked windscreen will involve change in the sidedoor and its window design which will increase costs further. M&M has been using the same door for ages. And I don't think they can mass-produce a different design for a niche product. I may be wrong here.
  2. USDM Jeep Taillamps (as suggested by Krishnathanthri) - The exact same design can't be used for the simple reason that there would be no provision for reverse lighting which is mandatory by law, I guess. Anyway, will try to work on this.
  3. Smaller/shorter doors (similar to the tinkering done by 1100D) - Again impractical. Why? Not only will this be a new door design but also side windows won't be accomodated (they'll have to be too tall which is impossible). Thus, air-conditioning option goes for a toss.
Nevertheless, some quick chops:
1. Got rid of the sidesteps and added a small bar (it's not clear though)
2. Power antenna (form over function... just for the drool factor)
3. Snorkel
4. Mahindra decal/embossing on the windshield a la export Thar
5. Mahindra Thar hard top as found in photos posted elsewhere
6. White front indicator lenses (on the hard top version)
7. "2500 CRDe Turbo" Decals on the hardtop

Attachment 356667
Attachment 356683
It looks superb both in soft and hard top versions. IMO I feel snorkel is a misfit. As someone said, the front indicators need to be integrated into the wheel arches. Raked windscreen as 1100D (a slight slant) made a difference in the looks, that looks better. May be that is not practical as of now. But it should be definitely considered. Bolero has a raked windscreen compared to 'Jeeps'. Is it not possible to do like Bolero?. In fact original Armada was like the Jeeps and with Bolero they made a change. May be it is possible. M&M can seriously look into this aspect as it makes a lot of difference in the looks

Last edited by jp1 : 28th May 2010 at 09:03.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:36   #127
BHPian

Thanks everybody!

The Armada as well as the Bolero have the same windscreen rake, I believe, the only difference being that the Bolero has a slightly bigger and curved looking windscreen. However, this has one disadvantage: the windscreen might not be foldable. (A foldable windscreen should have a thick surrounding frame which necessiates a smaller glass). As I said before, I am no mech. engineer, I am just speculating
Old 28th May 2010, 09:46   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I will start saving up for this.......
Old 28th May 2010, 09:49   #129
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everybody!

The Armada as well as the Bolero have the same windscreen rake, I believe, the only difference being that the Bolero has a slightly bigger and curved looking windscreen. However, this has one disadvantage: the windscreen might not be foldable. (A foldable windscreen should have a thick surrounding frame which necessiates a smaller glass). As I said before, I am no mech. engineer, I am just speculating
If I remember correctly, Bolero's initial advertisement way back in 2001 used to talk about the raked windscreen.

Can we get this kind of rear seat arrangement? i.e Fold & Tumble Split Rear Seats. If so, the rear passengers can get in through the back door without disturbing the front seat passengers as it has only three doors.
Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-1885_1.jpg
Old 28th May 2010, 09:54   #130
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Salil time permitting could you do one for me:

1. Drop the large Mahindra script on the front screen frame, you already have it above the grill, that's enough

2. Make the "Thar" lettering the same size as "4X4" but move it slightly higher at the point where the bonnet curves down on the sides, maybe a few inches up

3. Remove the front indicators and insert smaller round ones below the headlamps

4. Can you do something to move the tyres out a bit? as in when you have wider track? The outer edge of the tyre should be just a few mm inside the body sides

5. Please remove the arched loop on the front bumper ahead of the grill

Last edited by DKG : 28th May 2010 at 09:57.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:57   #131
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everybody!

I mentioned Bolero/Invader to make it possible to mass produce. as Bolero windscreen can be used (with mods) and then the front doors would not be a problem and we get a Raked windscreen. Only M&M can tell.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:00   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
If I remember correctly, Bolero's initial advertisement way back in 2001 used to talk about the raked windscreen.
I don't see a major difference in the rake. There is a slight difference though and mainly visible due to the larger windscreen.
Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-250.jpg

Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-mahindrabolero.jpg

This is definintely possible, I guess, if there are plans to launch a permanent hard top verison.
Let's see what the experts say

Quote:
Can we get this kind of rear seat arrangement? i.e Fold & Tumble Split Rear Seats. If so, the rear passengers can get in through the back door without disturbing the front seat passengers as it has only three doors.
Attachment 356810
Thanks to the law of the land, the Thar will have side facing jump-seats in the rear. However, M&M should provide something like this as a dealer level fitment as a workaround. And the body shell should have arrangement (holes, cavities etc.) to accomadate such a seat with minimum or zero modifications!

@DKG, by tomorrow, definitely!

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 28th May 2010 at 10:04.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:57   #133
BHPian

An in-production Thar is set to be a way bigger hit than Classic 340

Two cents (one each for two alternate thought processes):
1. Classic was way ahead of time: I am speaking for the 99% of Indian population who had no clue as to the fact that Jeep like Xerox is a brand/company and not a 'type/process'. I absolutely drool over Classics and 550s when I see them on road and how we see cars has changed a lot in the last 10 years (thats exactly how long Classics have been out of production. Unsmart move.). The timing for launch of a vehicle (I refrain from using the word CAR) like THAR is just about right. The target audience is larger and the Modified 340, 540 and 550s are just the right precursor and set the stage for the grand Thar.
2. Financing: Very important aspect to look forward to when having access to cash is more important than just the WANT of owning a dream machine. I want a Ferrari 599. So what? Who doesn't?
My point is that loans are more readily available to a larger audience group (young one to be precise), higher disposable income, would trigger growth propositions that would add to the economic viability of Thar.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:08   #134
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Something like this, did away with the tall tophat look, more like a beret now

Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-thar1.jpg

Last edited by DKG : 28th May 2010 at 11:10.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:14   #135
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Just stumbled upon this thread. (as I rarely visit this sub-forum)
I have seen Thar, when I had gone to Indore for a students competition. Nice vehicle.

@Salil: Nice renderings. I liked the topless version without the snorkel.

Regards,
Shoeb
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks