Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 20:09   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post
No expert here but wouldn't Spring suspension aka pata suspension be better & sturdy than the jeep being on air i.e IFS
The ride would be stiff however tougher .....
Cheers
You dont need to go to air suspension, or springs - All SFA (Solid front axle) vehicles even with leave springs has much more wheel travel than IFS. But SFA dont handle as good as IFS at high speeds, that is why the trend is leaning towards IFS as there is only a hand full of people like myself that would prefer the SFA.
Remember the big problem with SFA is the weight of the live front axle, you need much better shocks to keep this huge piece of steel under damping. Where in the IFS, the moving weight is much less. That is why the IFS handles better at high speeds.

Last edited by Wild_Card : 27th July 2010 at 20:21.
Old 27th July 2010, 20:33   #212
Senior - BHPian

@Wild card, what ride height are you running on? Improper ride height may yield catastrophic results.

Spike
Old 27th July 2010, 21:11   #213
BHPian

Very true,

If you want a daily driver IFS is the way like with Tata Sumo.

It was never a off road vehicle not according to me at least.

MM all the way
Old 28th July 2010, 11:17   #214
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread Deepak, good thing you started this thread. (sorry for late reply as i was in 'exile')

@wild card> you have certainly elevated the THAR by lifting it and adding new shoes to it and you have shown how to start with THAR and taking it to the next level, we all know there are endless things you can do to THAR.

i can see SPIKE being very busy lately with answering Questions from Dan, Arka, Fazal and other forum members.

the possibilities are endless and future THAR owners could do their own stuff to give their THAR the signature look.

BTW IFS is the future when it comes to a daily drive and an OTR vehicle in one! wrangler is a terrible vehicle when it comes to on road driving.

i would prefer a THAR with hardtop like this wrangler.(in white colour).
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-2009jeepwrangler2drsaharapic13714_jpeg.jpg  

Old 28th July 2010, 11:19   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Guys,

Please share your views on these pics.

Spike
Fantastic! Spike

Will we get the option of fitting this at the dealer if not OEM from the Manufacturer.

Please!

Yikes!
Old 28th July 2010, 11:46   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
@wild card> you have certainly elevated the THAR by lifting it and adding new shoes to it and you have shown how to start with THAR and taking it to the next level, we all know there are endless things you can do to THAR.

BTW IFS is the future when it comes to a daily drive and an OTR vehicle in one! wrangler is a terrible vehicle when it comes to on road driving.

i would prefer a THAR with hardtop like this wrangler.(in white colour).
Thanks, I also recon the Thar looks and performs great, but there is some negative points - Due to the raised body, extra height from the tyres and the disconnected anti-roll bar, there is lot more body roll. Luckily the Thar`s centre of gravity is very low.
We also have a hard top available in SA, will see if I can get a photo to show. But very similar to the Wrangler`s hard top

Quote:
@Wild card, what ride height are you running on? Improper ride height may yield catastrophic results.
Spike
I dont see why that could be a problem, if the bump stops clear the chassis points or control arms - so that there is no stress on the system I dont see any catastrophic results.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:56   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Card View Post
I dont see why that could be a problem, if the bump stops clear the chassis points or control arms - so that there is no stress on the system I dont see any catastrophic results.
Interesting to see this exchange between two Mahindra employees, one from R&D and other from Sales (I presume).
Old 28th July 2010, 12:11   #218
BHPian

Spike,

Are you from R&D? Please send me you e-mail adress via a personal mail, would like to be in contact with you

ps..Samurai.. I`m not in sales
Old 28th July 2010, 13:35   #219
BHPian

Who are the Mahindra Employees here.... Man did i miss something here
Old 28th July 2010, 14:56   #220
Senior - BHPian

Ride height

Quote:
There is a problem. The IFS setup has torsion bars which connect the lower arms to the torsion bar mounting cross member of the chassis. This is equivalent to a cantilever system with one point fixed and the other under load/moving. Here, the wheel end moves up and down whereas the chassis end is anchored by a hex bolt (M12x1.25) and a guide. Imagine putting more load at the cantilever end (this happens when you change the ride height beyond a certain limit). Got the drift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Interesting to see this exchange between two Mahindra employees, one from R&D and other from Sales (I presume).
Pouring ghee or playing devils advocate?
Quote:
Spike,

Are you from R&D? Please send me you e-mail adress via a personal mail, would like to be in contact with you
Incidentally, I will send you a PM/mail as I have your details with me.

Spike
Old 28th July 2010, 15:55   #221
BHPian

Quote:
There is a problem. The IFS setup has torsion bars which connect the lower arms to the torsion bar mounting cross member of the chassis. This is equivalent to a cantilever system with one point fixed and the other under load/moving. Here, the wheel end moves up and down whereas the chassis end is anchored by a hex bolt (M12x1.25) and a guide. Imagine putting more load at the cantilever end (this happens when you change the ride height beyond a certain limit). Got the drift?
I know that has being a big problem on the older Bolero`s, I have raised the front a bit, cant even see it. But if you stay clear between the bump stops I dont see a problem. Also the Thar is lighter comparing to the Bolero & does not carry any load - thus less stress on the suspension.
If I want to lift it more, I will fit a set of coil over shocks - Which I have used in my Bolero - see attached pic - that takes a lot of stress of the torsion bar system.

By the way, I will not recommend this mod (body lift & big tyres) to be as a standard factory kit, as the vehicle`s driving caracter change a lot - We have modified with vehicle to be used in 4x4 competitions and automotive shows, in fact we wont even drive it daily.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-screenhunter_04-jul.-28-12.21.jpg  

Last edited by Wild_Card : 28th July 2010 at 16:08.
Old 28th July 2010, 21:44   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is equivalent to a cantilever system with one point fixed and the other under load/moving. Here, the wheel end moves up and down whereas the chassis end is anchored by a hex bolt (M12x1.25) and a guide. Imagine putting more load at the cantilever end (this happens when you change the ride height beyond a certain limit). Got the drift?
Hi Spike,
Would cantilever be the right term? The free end twists. Does not move up and down.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 28th July 2010, 22:05   #223
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sutripta,

The free end (wheels) actually traverse an arc the center of which lies at the pivot end of the control arms. In a way this motion can be projected as up and down or jounce/rebound.

Spike
Old 28th July 2010, 22:25   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sutripta,

The free end (wheels) actually traverse an arc the center of which lies at the pivot end of the control arms. In a way this motion can be projected as up and down or jounce/rebound.

Spike
OK. You are talking of the lower arm/ wishbone, not the torsion bar. But removal of the bump stops stresses the torsion bar (and will cause failure there), not the lower arm.

How is more load put if we change the (static) ride height?

In suspension design, do we treat the lower arm as a rigid member, or as a spring?

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 28th July 2010 at 22:27.
Old 28th July 2010, 23:25   #225
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
(sorry for late reply as i was in 'exile')
Parm looks like its almost 6 months,welcome back
Closed Thread

Most Viewed