Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2011, 20:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Just bought a Forester

@shankar, I have a friend who maybe looking to sell his forester sometime later this year..will let him know if your interested, because having driven the car myself, i can safely say it deserves to go to an enthusiast, and where better to find an enthusiast than at team-bhp
if your interested, we can have this conversation thru pm's
Old 9th January 2011, 20:55   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your buy.

Having driven couple of them through some interesting sand cross country I was impressed with its AWD capabilities. Unfortunately by the time I wanted to buy one it was no longer sold. So I brought the Grand Vitara.

The car is a good buy and it has excellent road handling capabilities. Spares can be a bit of problem but can be sourced from Singapore/Dubai most of the time.

Raj @Performance is a friend and has been maintaining three / four of these beauties apart from his own.
Old 9th January 2011, 21:50   #18
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on a very impressive buy.

I have a very fond memory of driving a friend's Forester on the roads of coastal Karnataka around Karwar and Dandeli some three years back. Lost my bags, my phone, my camera and cash in that trip, but still each time I was at the helm of the Forester on the way back to Mumbai, it brought a smile on my face. A perfect all-rounder in the true sense of the word.

Wish it had a diesel mill though !!
Old 25th July 2011, 17:25   #19

Dont take your car to performance auto or theyll rip u off so badly u wont know wat hapened. I took my car to them for steering related issues where they
changed everyting they cud find in the suspension assy including the wishbones and presented me with a bill of 30,000.I drove the car with the owner of the
workshop sitting in the passenger seat next to me and got a shock as i realised that the slightest input to the steering wheel wud make the car go out of
control at speeds as low as 20kmph. The steering wheel had no resistance whatsoever and cud be spun like the wheel on a chaff cutter. The owner of the workshop
in his immaculate style of speaking said that it was becos the tyres were unevenly worn and the rims had nicks on them that the steering was behaving like
this and the only way to solve the issue was if i fit new tyres and rims. I was baffled by his answer and cursed the day i had set foot in the worksop. I spotted a mechanic standing next to a drain working on a car under a shady tree. I took the car to him and told him the problem and he had it repaired and fixed
in 2 days. He told me he had carried out repair work on the steering gear and charged me for the same. I then went back to perfomance auto to settle a pending
bill of rs 17000 for repairs carried out to the prop shaft and told them that the roadside mechanic had fixed the problem whereby the owner admitted he had seen the car being repaired but would not admit to the fact that he lacked basic knowledge wrt car repair and justified the billed amount by saying that the parts had been replaced after all.
Old 29th July 2011, 21:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

@mods, post # 19, 20 seem to be spams
Old 30th July 2011, 08:54   #21
BHPian

@Guna,
Doesn't look to be a spam to me. Maybe post #20 is a very detailed explanation of post#19. Appreciate Monstr2's experience, there are car dealerships even authorised ones who will rip apart customers without actually knowing the problem.

Andy
Grace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 08:59   #22
BHPian

@drjoshi - you can try downloading the manual from the Subaru website at this link

https://www.subaru.com/content/downl...FOR_Manual.pdf
Old 31st July 2011, 12:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
@Guna,
Doesn't look to be a spam to me. Maybe post #20 is a very detailed explanation of post#19. Appreciate Monstr2's experience, there are car dealerships even authorised ones who will rip apart customers without actually knowing the problem.

Andy
Sorry I did not notice that few people have suggested 'performance auto'. Post is valid.

Last edited by Guna : 31st July 2011 at 12:25.
Old 13th September 2011, 00:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Bad news is that spare parts availability in India is almost non-existent. You will be lucky to be able to get an air filter from the dealer. I had to wait one month and pay Rs. 70,000 for the front windshield.
I just saw this thread so thought I'd post - I had the same problem with our Forester, I eventually had the windshield replaced myself at Pallika Bhavan, at Rs. 18,000 inc. labor. Sorry you had to spend so much. It was probably around the same time...

I'm really desperately looking for a Delhi / Gurgaon-based mechanic or centre that will help work on my Forester, it needs servicing and help with some other issues. And I hate getting ripped off by service centres that think customers don't know anything and have mechanics that don't care about cars...
Old 13th September 2011, 06:31   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

thanks for this man but not me
the petrol driven vehicle like the forester is expensive to run here in India
i had the pleasure of driving the top end new forester in the UK recently while on a holiday
each time I feel that urge I can always rent one when I go on holiday. but I wouldnt like to own one here in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
@shankar, I have a friend who maybe looking to sell his forester sometime later this year..will let him know if your interested, because having driven the car myself, i can safely say it deserves to go to an enthusiast, and where better to find an enthusiast than at team-bhp
if your interested, we can have this conversation thru pm's
Old 15th September 2011, 14:20   #26
BHPian

First of Congratulations on the Forrester! It is a very capable vehicle and quite underrated in India. Though i fear the repair bills or spares will be quite expensive.

As regards your second Q i suggest you keep the car in H (High) range at all times. Only when you are on a slippery surface like snow/slush and need to climb or descend at a steep angle should u engage L (Low) range.

You must not engage L on surface / tarred roads where the tires have a lot of traction anyway as you can permanently damage your transmission.

While on this topic, it is my understanding that engaging Low range also locks the differential.

Does the Forrester come with Locking Differentials?
Old 15th September 2011, 14:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
First of Congratulations on the Forrester! It is a very capable vehicle and quite underrated in India. Though i fear the repair bills or spares will be quite expensive.

As regards your second Q i suggest you keep the car in H (High) range at all times. Only when you are on a slippery surface like snow/slush and need to climb or descend at a steep angle should u engage L (Low) range.

You must not engage L on surface / tarred roads where the tires have a lot of traction anyway as you can permanently damage your transmission.

While on this topic, it is my understanding that engaging Low range also locks the differential.

Does the Forrester come with Locking Differentials?
Forester comes with LSD at rear and viscous coupling in the center. Since it is not a rigid set up, driving in 'L' even on tarmac should be fine (unlike in case of 4X4 with differential lock).
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks