Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2010, 23:30   #16
BHPian

@Kandisa, next time please let me know when you are coming to this side of the country. I will change your perception about diesel Jeeps on highways!!!

--Sree--
Old 13th July 2010, 00:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
@Kandisa, next time please let me know when you are coming to this side of the country. I will change your perception about diesel Jeeps on highways!!!

--Sree--
Having that 5th gear on the XDB will definitely add to the highway behaviour for sure. But then how many 550 XDBs you get to see often!
Old 13th July 2010, 08:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Spike Arrestor, if I were to pick up a stock Jeep today, could I scale it up to run at 80+kmph on a tarmac, WITH the stock engine and tranny? I am guessing the engine change route goes through pretty muddy waters, so would like to avoid it as much as possible.

And how about disc brakes at the front?
^^ Is possible, many in the forum have done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Spike will thar have a front facing seats at least as an option ,and if yes will it have good quality seat (like innova 2nd row) and lock for pushing it forward to allow rear passengers.Hope it is not like the Tempo traveller where the front passenger seat is not adjustable.
Only driver and co-driver seats will be front facing and will be adjustable. Rear seats cannot be front facing as the vehicle has to be a 7 seater.

Spike
Old 13th July 2010, 12:23   #19

Quote:
If anyone could, I would like to know the following:

1. Can a Jeep be customized to reach cruising speeds of 80+kmph on highways?
2. Can a Jeep return FE figures of 15+ on the highways and maybe around 13 in the city?
3. Can a Jeep be customized to suit a family?

Has anyone ever tried to make the Jeep a capable onroad vehicle too?
Hi Honeybee,

Jeeps are customized and can be modified to your needs. If you read the threads & forums on jeep enthusiasts you'll find that they are modifying the jeeps to their needs. What I think you are looking for a Jeep with drivability and comforts of a car. Well i recently came across this interesting thread where this guy is making his jeep AT with a powerful engine. I hope he achieves what he is up to. (I wish him luck). I'm following his thread you can also follow or join in.

JeeP Wrangler JK - Automatic

Cheers
Old 14th July 2010, 10:30   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

4WD Jeeps are built for off-road performance. Thus, however modern the Jeep, it still isn't a match to a sedan or hatchback on the highway. Older Jeeps (340s, 540s and the like) are best driven at 80 - 100 kph (tops), and that includes the Gypsy too. The Thar may offer better onroad performance (relatively), but it still wont match the dynamics of a modern sedan. Not by a mile.

You need to decide if you want offroadability at all. If you don't, why compromise on family comfort? Buy a comfort-oriented SUV instead.
Old 14th July 2010, 10:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
..Thus, however modern the Jeep, it still isn't a match to a sedan or hatchback on the highway....The Thar may offer better onroad performance (relatively), but it still wont match the dynamics of a modern sedan. Not by a mile....
And we 've been hearing about 120 range of cruising speed of THAR for quite some time. Can't help referring to some comment made by BD in the latest THAR thread today Guessing what could be the additional safety features which can inspire confidence to drive a jeep at a speed of 140...!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
....By the way, when something zooms by your window @ 140 kmph, you will just hear a "woosh"....
Old 14th July 2010, 14:54   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
And we 've been hearing about 120 range of cruising speed of THAR for quite some time.
Correct. I'm sure the Thar can cruise at 120 kph all day, and in a better manner than old Jeeps (like my Classic, for instance).

BUT it cannot match the dynamics of a modern sedan / hatchback in any way. The Thar is, at the end of the day, a purpose-built Jeep that is still very basic in nature, has a higher center of gravity etc. etc. I reiterate that cars like (example) the Linea or Swift are much better suited to high speed cruising, or fast corner carving.
Old 21st July 2010, 09:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You need to decide if you want offroadability at all. If you don't, why compromise on family comfort? Buy a comfort-oriented SUV instead.
Granted the Jeeps cannot match the onroad manners of sedans, or even hatchbacks. Here's my situation:

Though I do not intend to take up serious offroading as a hobby anytime soon, the potholes on the Mumbai roads are already giving me a good training in driving on rough terrain.

Currently I am driving to work every day. So I have to pay attention to the fuel bills as well. And though I may discontinue driving to work every day, I would still want to do it occasionally or reserve it as an option.

My daily drive is just me. Also the family outings are approximately once in three months, where I would need the comfort of a sedan/hatchback.

Price is a huge concern at this point of time. Maybe a year or two down the line I could afford a good soft-roader, probably even a Safari that can give me the best of both worlds (as much as possible). But not today. So investing in a new car is out of question.

Of course the best option in this would be not to drive to work every day, which makes excellent financial sense. But then if I were to take that option, I wouldn't be here on this forum.

Next best is either to invest in a used MUV or go for a rebuild of some abandoned Jeep. From all the replies to my queries on different threads for these options, I find that going for a used vehicle would be financially the same as a rebuild. I would have to pay upwards of 1.5 L for any decent Sumo that can be driven. And it would be more than 10 years old, which means soon I would have to pay for all the different maintenance costs. So over a two year period of ownership, this would cost the same as a vehicle that is rebuilt from scrap.

The other option is to get my hands on an abandoned Jeep and rebuild it. While financially it might cost less, there are other issues. The biggest is the legal hurdles. How do I ensure the vehicle will be certified road-worthy by the RTO after it is rebuilt? And would it be insured for daily street use?

For RTO compliance, I have to keep it as stock as possible. While for most parts this wouldn't be a problem, I want to use a more fuel efficient diesel engine in it (probably mated to a 4/5-speed gearbox). This will allow me to cruise at decent highway speeds (80-100 kmph should do), and also help me achieve better FE figures. I don't know if this will be allowed first by the RTO and then by the insurance company.

Then there's the question of finding a reliable mechanic/garage who will not only help me rebuild the vehicle, but will also help me maintain it for at least a couple of years. Apart from the engine/tranny I also want to get disc brakes on the front. So the installation would have to be perfect and serviceable for the near future. So sourcing of parts would also be important.

Even if I were to take it on the highways I am not looking to take sharp corners at 100kmph speeds. I am prepared to drop speeds in corners if I sense I am going too fast.

If I could fit in bucket seats in the front with seat-belts (racing type would also do), roll cage and probably some kind of a closed cabin for the driver/co-passenger, that should take care of my safety / basic creature comfort requirements.

So the cost of a used diesel MUV would be around 1.5 L and the repairs expected in the next two years would be to the tune of another .5 L (I am factoring in the suspension, starter motor, electricals, tyres, a little body work, no painting). While a rebuild would cost upto a lakh including the cost of the vehicle with no fancy mods. Of course there could be changes to these estimates based on individual vehicles too, but that's for my luck.

4WD is something I don't exactly need. But I am not going to tinker with it. So if the vehicle didn't come with 4WD, I won't add it. And if it comes with 4WD, I won't be removing it.

Gypsies are currently out because not only would they cost me more new/used, they can't be changed to a diesel engine. My hopes are on getting a Jeep and restore it, or else find a good reliable Safari / Sumo from a known source.

There is a Jeep lying unused on the highway outside town, which I see every day. After going through all the threads on the Jeep rebuilds I was taken by a desire to go for it, but fortunately the lack of moolah has made me patient. It's a 2wd affair (couldn't see the short gear sticks for engaging 4WD and H/L). Should probably be a typical Jeep rebuild story here, in case I were to go ahead with it. But my intention would be to create a vehicle that will be reliable on road for another two years at least.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:39   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Honey Bee, just buy a used Bolero DI Turbo - it suits your purpose beautifully. Dont get into re-building a jeep for what you intend to do. About 2.5L should net you one albeit with a lot of mileage on it. Start your research.

Does anyone else think I'm making sense?
Old 21st July 2010, 12:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Honey Bee, just buy a used Bolero DI Turbo - it suits your purpose beautifully. Dont get into re-building a jeep for what you intend to do. About 2.5L should net you one albeit with a lot of mileage on it. Start your research.

Does anyone else think I'm making sense?
Absolutely Venki!! I would completely agree with you.
@HoneyBee: Please look for a used Bolero/Sumo/Qualis.
Good luck with your search.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 21st July 2010, 12:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
......While a rebuild would cost upto a lakh including the cost of the vehicle with no fancy mods. Of course there could be changes to these estimates based on individual vehicles too, but that's for my luck....
If you are looking to make a jeep a reliable daily driver (not an occasional offroader), a 540 series of jeep restoration would easily land around 2.5-3L if not more. Yes an used Bolero DI makes sense though coming across a good piece will need time i guess.
Old 21st July 2010, 16:20   #27
BHPian

During my last weekends visit to Pune, I met with Jasbir who is making Jeep for Jassy, the cost for bare basic Jeep with registration was coming close to 2 lacs.

If you can invest a bit more then more comfort can be added to it based on your budget and liking.
Old 21st July 2010, 23:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
If you are looking to make a jeep a reliable daily driver (not an occasional offroader), a 540 series of jeep restoration would easily land around 2.5-3L if not more. Yes an used Bolero DI makes sense though coming across a good piece will need time i guess.
What is included in the 2.5-3L cost? I have seen a few restoration threads where the total cost (including the price for the jeep) was around 1 L. Wouldn't it also depend on what parts worked and what didn't ?

A used Bolero is still out of reach for me, 1 L is the max I can stretch myself at this point of time.
Old 22nd July 2010, 07:02   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is included in the 2.5-3L cost? I have seen a few restoration threads where the total cost (including the price for the jeep) was around 1 L. Wouldn't it also depend on what parts worked and what didn't ?

A used Bolero is still out of reach for me, 1 L is the max I can stretch myself at this point of time.
Honey-bee, all I can say is that for your kind of usage, a 540 is not worth the trouble. Still, if you would like to go through the pangs, then get a used one for about 80k and then you might have to get some work done on her.

Since you're clued in on the 540, why dont you look for ads and start posting them here so people can help you make the right decision. Each jeep's post purchase work can be very different.

Get a move on, and get the vehicle dammit
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:34   #30
BHPian

Honeybee,

For Budgets within 1L, you can get only BEEPS, not any JEEP, sorry to say this, but apart from the cost of restoration, pls calculate your time and patience also, included in running here, there for all works...

after all done, if you sit back and calculate, then the total money spent would be only double the budget...so my advices/options to you (take it or leave it) are :
1. get an army disposal within a lak, spend another 1-1.5L and you will get a real jeep, to tackle any offroads in any situation
2. get a used mm540 2wd for 60-80k, and do up the beep, as per your taste, and you may then have a jeep looalike rugged vehicle within 1.3-1.5L
3. get a decent 6-8 years bolero or armada grand for 1.5L-2L budget and have a blast
4. get a dillipated jeep below 30-40k, restore it 1st mechanically and try if you want the jeep image for your useage, and if yes, go on to next step, on tinkering, painting, and et al
5. if all these options fails, just keep a sharp lookout for any jeep within 1L, in all the indian claasifieds, and my best wishes to you in your search.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks