Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2010, 13:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tarkesh,

The fenders and bumper are in the same matte black, just that the reflection of different lights at the show is giving them a different appearance.

Prabhu's number is 0 98669 94455, he will be able to give you better details.

Regards,
Old 25th July 2010, 14:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Speaking ONLY for myself I have to say that I would not spend money to make a cosmetic change like this. For me the way the MM5x0 looks is good enough.

I would like to see a shop turn out high quality mechanical upgrades.

I would like to see a shop turn out MM5x0s with lockers, an engine upgrade to....I dunno, maybe an MDI3200tc with a bigger turbo, intercooler, boost gages, 5 speed tranny....in short, a Thar thumper with FFRA and live axle up front...just my two rupees worth here.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 25th July 2010 at 14:58.
DirtyDan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2010, 15:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Dirtydan. MM550 looks far better then rubicon to me and I rather spend that money on transmission/suspension upgrade.
Old 25th July 2010, 19:46   #34
BHPian

Guys , this jeep is a work in progress and there's a lot that will take place in the very near future. Opinions and suggestions have been taken from true blue 4x4 enthusiasts like Fazal Sahib all along the build and shall continue until project is complete , technical upgrades included.

This is not just a cosmetic mod job. Its more to do with building a body with high standards of workmanship, extreme enthusiasm and the drive to learn and serve the 4x4 community. We cannot doubt Prabu,his team and the people he's consulting on their technical know how because he's also given us all another "first" build (perhaps for south india if not the whole country)............. the Peugeot 309 mid-engined drag car monster. That in itself was quite a technical feat.

Over the past yr , ive been visiting Prabu's workshop quite often and been witness to the challenges he has taken on. They have not been simple and i expect this to be the same. Albeit,the finished product is something to admire. Lets wait and watch the show as Pulsar56 posts the WIP pictures.

I guess the topic of expense can and will always be a subject of immense discussion . This is similar to one of my personal experiences at Prabhu's workshop .

Absynth : damn!I love this paintjob. Whats the damage on my pocket to get it done on a getz ?
Prabhu : eerm ....... its bout 1.25 lac for 250ml.
Absynth : So a whole car takes bout 1ltr, so thats close to 5 lacs and just the paint job is costing as much as a car ?!?
Prabhu : Well , thats as per your calculation , but for the people who get it done , its 5-10% of their car value .

Money spent is very relative.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 25th July 2010 at 19:54.
Old 25th July 2010, 21:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
its bout 1.25 lac for 250ml.
Is he serious.? Thats very expensive.

These are in my opinion the most exotic paints. They even don't cost that much.

Alsa Corp | ChromeFX: Product Information-Our Chrome FX can produce a real METALLIC FINISH on any surface
Old 25th July 2010, 21:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

i remember seeing a similar mod job earlier on tbhp. it was from Kerala. white colored. I'm
not able to find the thread.
Old 25th July 2010, 22:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
its bout 1.25 lac for 250ml.
Absynth : So a whole car takes bout 1ltr, so thats close to 5 lacs and just the paint job is costing as much as a car ?!?
Prabhu : Well , thats as per your calculation , but for the people who get it done , its 5-10% of their car value
let me calculate

if 10% is 5 lakhs then what will be 100% ?
50 lakhs?

if 5% is equal to 5 lakhs then 100% will be .

am i missing something here?
Old 25th July 2010, 22:28   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Is he serious.? Thats very expensive.

These are in my opinion the most exotic paints. They even don't cost that much.

Alsa Corp | ChromeFX: Product Information-Our Chrome FX can produce a real METALLIC FINISH on any surface
eerm sorry , I'm probably exaggerating on the price. Dont know the right figure but it certainly was rather exorbitant and equated to the cost of a car ( cause thats the line i used and remember it clearly). Maybe its a NANO.

Lol jeepster , i was just talking about the relative expense of the paintjob . Like a 25lac-1Cr valued Car owner would get the paint job done , and hence he doesn't mind spending 5-10% of the car value on it.

Edit : I think we're going OT , so this is the end .

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 25th July 2010 at 22:31.
Old 26th July 2010, 06:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
i remember seeing a similar mod job earlier on tbhp. it was from Kerala. white colored. I'm
not able to find the thread.
here it goes. correction. it's silver color.
Rubicon replica - Made in India.-jeep.jpg

Rubicon replica - Made in India.-jeep2.jpg

Rubicon replica - Made in India.-jeep3.jpg

original post : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1179291
Old 26th July 2010, 10:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Awesome!1

Prabhu,

That is a cool job for sure!

I am very impressed with the fit and finish. More on mechanicals to follow. I am sure Suren, Pulsar, our lawyer(Raveendra), Arun& the other gang made their best of suggestions for this superb looker & performer!

Great Job!!

Last edited by getsurya : 26th July 2010 at 10:28.
Old 26th July 2010, 10:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Fazal saab for starting this thread. Recognition from you and other visitors to the HIAS is reward enough for the weeks of working all night. It was fun working on this challenging project. This must have been one of the most photographed vehicles at the fair - as a 'temp' who worked in our stall put it "Sir, if we charge even Rs.10/- for allowing people to get themselves photographed with our 4X4 - we will make lots of money."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
A very good mod-job indeed. But at the risk of being castigated, I think comparing this to the Rubicon is not fair. It has some resemblance to the Rubicon, but is nowhere near even being a replica of the original. ..............I just don't think comparison does justice to either the Rubicon or the modified Mahindra.
In response all I can say on behalf of the whole team that worked on this vehicle is: This is not the rubicon. It is not even a replica or a copy, we do not claim that it is a replica or that it is identical to the Rubicon. One might call it a tribute. When we started working on an old MM540 we were clean bowled over by the clean lines of the Wrangler. We are just a bunch of car crazy guys who went out and built a vehicle that we would love to drive around in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
the finish, paint, workmanship is superb, thumbs up
'but a bit of detailing is missing
the proportions are not perfect
i like the paint job

question: are the fenders fabricated in metal. or is she using the fibre ones imported off the shelf
As Fazal saab has said they are metal fenders. Detailing is missing as we chose to stick to locally available parts for ease of maintainence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I don't think a fiberglass bumper is going to last much, right ? BTW does this Jeep run an independent suspension setup or the standard M&M setup ??

If the latter, the is it possible to convert to an independent setup ??

Brilliant job, surely done with great care & precision.

Cheers
The WIP right now has stock suspension, upgrades are possible, one factor that weighs on the mind is cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Speaking ONLY for myself I have to say that I would not spend money to make a cosmetic change like this. For me the way the MM5x0 looks is good enough.

I would like to see a shop turn out high quality mechanical upgrades.

I would like to see a shop turn out MM5x0s with lockers, an engine upgrade to....I dunno, maybe an MDI3200tc with a bigger turbo, intercooler, boost gages, 5 speed tranny....in short, a Thar thumper with FFRA and live axle up front...just my two rupees worth here.
Thanks for the pointers. We are contemplating doing up another jeep and are toying with the idea of making it as per the wish-list of the jeep-gurus i.e. full mechanical upgrades. We just might steal your ideas for that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Absynth : damn!I love this paintjob. Whats the damage on my pocket to get it done on a getz ?
Prabhu : eerm ....... its bout 1.25 lac for 250ml.
Prabhu : Well , thats as per your calculation , but for the people who get it done , its 5-10% of their car value .

Money spent is very relative.
Absynthguzzler was not talking about the paint used on this vehicle. He was talking about a paint with some special particles that was used in another paint-job - just as an example.

I think the point he was making is this: There is no end to the amount of modifications one can do, the possible equipment list is endless. It all depends on how much money one wants to put into it.
Old 27th July 2010, 10:18   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Fazal, great pictures of a stunning Jeep! Thanks for sharing.

From the business perspective, such Jeeps have a lot of potential. Great looks, individuality and affordable (C-segment sedan kind of $$$). Why do the best looking Jeeps always come from Hyderabad? Any reason in particular that locals have such a soft spot for them? I remember DKG's thread on some sick sick Mahindras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Speaking ONLY for myself I have to say that I would not spend money to make a cosmetic change like this.
Everyone's got their own drug
Old 27th July 2010, 11:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fazal, great pictures of a stunning Jeep! Thanks for sharing.
From the business perspective, such Jeeps have a lot of potential. Great looks, individuality and affordable (C-segment sedan kind of $$$). Why do the best looking Jeeps always come from Hyderabad? Any reason in particular that locals have such a soft spot for them? I remember DKG's thread on some sick sick Mahindras.
Everyone's got their own drug
GTO,

Thank you.

The reason possibly for good Jeeps in Hyderabad is, the Jeep culture and legacy continues from the days of the Nawabs.

Hyderabad (pre-independence) was the richest state in India, imported the best of everything then, including automobiles. Hunting was the favorite pass time and out-doors was considered living life, which is one of the reason why the Jeep was very popular... a 2nd -10th vehicle in most garages.

Many classic/ vintage Jeeps have been passed on through generations and maintained by their present owners as if they have rolled out of the factory today. This passion has created the required professional mechanical, restoration skills in the market which needed Jeep connoisseurs to commercially sustain them and vice versa.

This Jeep culture has preserved in today's youth with modern Jeeps, thus the very skilled mechanics, denters and painters have been in continuous employment since decades. They are responsible for the quality Jeeps Hyderabad churns out.

Though Hyderabad restorations are expensive, but then quality comes at a cost.

Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 27th July 2010 at 11:18.
Old 27th July 2010, 18:40   #44

Nice Job with the body work and paint job

Hi,

I think the paint job and the body work has been tremendous. A lot of time must have been spent on the same.

I am also doing a Jeep JK Wrangler conversion project and am really inspired to see the outcome of the project. This has really motivated me. The project is very much upto speed, the project should be in good shape by the end of the month.

I have a few questions:

1. In the begining of the thread there was a point about shortening the chasis, can you please specify what is the new chasis size now?

2. What changes have been made to the drivetrain, engine, gearbox, differential etc?

3. Are you planning a hardtop or a softtop for the jeep?

The details of the project can be found at [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Tahoma]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...onversion.html [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Tahoma]Rock Crawler[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][/COLOR]
Old 27th July 2010, 19:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
GTO,

Thank you.

The reason possibly for good Jeeps in Hyderabad is, the Jeep culture and legacy continues from the days of the Nawabs.

Hyderabad (pre-independence) was the richest state in India, imported the best of everything then, including automobiles. Hunting was the favorite pass time and out-doors was considered living life, which is one of the reason why the Jeep was very popular... a 2nd -10th vehicle in most garages.

Many classic/ vintage Jeeps have been passed on through generations and maintained by their present owners as if they have rolled out of the factory today. This passion has created the required professional mechanical, restoration skills in the market which needed Jeep connoisseurs to commercially sustain them and vice versa.

This Jeep culture has preserved in today's youth with modern Jeeps, thus the very skilled mechanics, denters and painters have been in continuous employment since decades. They are responsible for the quality Jeeps Hyderabad churns out.

Though Hyderabad restorations are expensive, but then quality comes at a cost.

Regards,
Now that seems very logical to me. So there may be garages which have been in existence since decades doing the restorations / modifications & have thus honed their skills !!

It is nice to know that the legacy goes on !!

Cheers

Most Viewed