Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 10:42   #61
BANNED

Wow Samurai, that was a revelation. I for one, am eagerly waiting for a diesel Jimny now. Fingers crossed.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:43   #62
Senior - BHPian

i would like maruti to offer jimny in its existing petrol engine and bring out the diesel later. that will satisfy both the petrolheads and diesel diehards equally.

here are the specifications of the Jimny:

Jimny:Specifications | Global Suzuki

here is the history of Jimny:

The Suzuki Jimny Series: Forty Years of Compact 4×4 Success
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jimny.pdf (1.21 MB, 1476 views)
Old 30th July 2010, 13:16   #63
Senior - BHPian

IMHO Jimny doesnt look so great. The Gypsy is a cult vehicle. No one can beat the ruggedness of the Gypsy. MUL should upgrade the Gypsy with the MJ Engine, Offer sleeker Hard tops as option, Offer Factory Fitted AC, Power Steering, LSD, more color options etc etc.

The Buyer will have a better choice and choose as per his budget.

There are so many people, young and old who still aspire to buy a Gypsy. MUL should not phase out the Gypsy, that will be a bad move.

and to compare Jimny with Thar, my choice would be Thar.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 30th July 2010, 13:31   #64
BHPian

Samurai, that was a fantastic video of the Jimny.

Though both Thar and Jumny are very capable off-roaders, I still think the junta will perceive Jumny to be "softer" than the Thar because of how the Mahindra relates to off-roading. Many folks even fail to relate Gypsy with Maruti Suzuki because of the top of mind recall that Maruti generates compared to Mahindra.

For me, as soon as someone says Maruti, it conjures up the image of small, fuel efficient petrol hatchbacks and Mahindra triggers an image of a rugged MM550 or the likes.

Definitely, I am not saying that Jimny or Gypsy is less capable than the Thar, its just the image building that Maruti has to do for the Jimny before it launches it.
Old 30th July 2010, 13:41   #65
BHPian

There is a 1.5L diesel option available. Source
Jimny:Specifications | Global Suzuki
Old 30th July 2010, 13:47   #66
Senior - BHPian

The diesel producing a torque of 200Nm at 1750rpm with a final drive ratio of 3.41 + low ratio of 2.002...all in a 1.2ton vehicle with solid axle + coil springs sounds fair to me.

But, with its one ton body its sure to be tin'ish like most jap sedans. I wouldve loved to see it being more meatier and masculine, but thats just me
Old 30th July 2010, 14:01   #67
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Was reading about Suzuki Samurai\Jimny in Wikipedia and found this:

High Altitude World Record

On April 21, 2007, the Chilean duo of Gonzalo Bravo and Eduardo Canales drove their modified Suzuki Samurai (SJ413) up Ojos del Salado, past the previous record set by a Jeep at 6,646 meters (21,804 ft), setting a new record for the highest altitude attained by a four-wheeled vehicle at 6,688 meters (21,942 ft).
The Samurai in question benefitted from wheel, tire, and suspension changes, and a supercharged G16A 4-cylinder underhood. It was the third attempt for the two man team, after encountering weather difficulties on the first attempt and an engine fire in the second. The previous record holder's team lead by Matthias Jeschke riding a Jeep Wrangler, left a sign reading "Jeep Parking Only: All others don't make it up here anyway". The Chilean team found the sign, blown down by strong winds, and brought it back to civilization as a souvenir.
This Record was duly Certified by the Guinness World Record in July 2007.

Link given below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Jimny

This vehicle from Suzuki is looks very promising for India
Old 30th July 2010, 16:31   #68
BHPian

Maruti-Suzuki have been offering decade old models to Indians for a long time, be it any model other than SX4, GV and Ritz (not too sure about other models)

If you look at the history of Suzuki 4X4 the Jimny was designed and introduced in world markets in 1998 itself by when Gypsy was outdated. Gypsy was stopped in US and other markets by mid 90's, however Suzuki still continues to offer Gypsy in old version (dashboard design, 1.3L engine).

So let's hope at least the Jimny will be offered in the latest trim and with all the bells and whisles that are available in other world markets. Ofcourse with 1.5L DDiS engine model too.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Jimny in India?-suzuki4x4history.jpg  

Old 30th July 2010, 16:44   #69
Senior - BHPian

Tiny Jimny has generated Huge interest with the 4WD community on this forum. im sure it will convert the current gypsy owners into Jimny owners!

i can see fellow forum members already googling Jimny on the www.

petrol or diesel, give us both!
Old 30th July 2010, 16:45   #70
Senior - BHPian

BTW when is the expected release date of the Thar
Old 30th July 2010, 17:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
BTW when is the expected release date of the Thar
well thats a good question.

we have been asking, requesting and guessing the answer for the release/launch date of the THAR.

all i can say is expect an early xmas on diwali this year.
Old 30th July 2010, 20:04   #72
BHPian

Jimny vs Thar

I think its quite fair to compare Jimny & Thar. Both are off roading vehicles, both are not launched in India, both seem to ge good at offroading.

Lets not forget that THAR itself was not welcomed with open hands on this forum, when the thread of "THAR displayed at Delhi expo" had started it was bashed left right & centre. Only after DKG started the thread of "THAR she Blows" and narrated his experience on THAR, the offroading community got excited and now are eagerly waiting for its launch. Apart from that, THAR has now started attending events as well and B.D sir and Spike are answering to all the relavant queries to keep the momentum going.

If Maruti is serious on launching Jimny in India, i think they can take a leaf or two from Mahindra and start providing details and comparison of the vehicle. With Offroading community expanding day by day (thanks to TBHP). I think we enthusiasts are going to benefit if products like these are launched.

So lets give it a fair chance.
Old 31st July 2010, 00:56   #73
Senior - BHPian

Why the Gypsy needs to go:

1. Looks dated
2. Shabby interiors and a hopeless dashboard and instrumentation
3. Horrid steering wheel
4. Archaic and bone shattering suspension. Useless on-road and doesn't help put the power down off-road because it launches off any bump on the surface.
5. Leaks water everywhere...if it is so bad in the HT version I cannot imagine what it must be like in the ST version!
6. No central locking, no power windows, no A/C, No climate control, no stereo, no cabin lighting, no glovebox lighting
7. Gutless 1.3L petrol engine. This vehicle could use more power and torque.
8. Useless OEM headlights

Just a few issues that immediately come to mind.

Jimny addresses most if not all these issues...

For me Suzuki offers greater build quality, reliability, spares & support & service network and overall ownership experience than Mahindra. In a toss-up between Thar and Jimny, I would take the Jimny for all the above reasons PLUS simply because I believe it will be the better off-roader.

Don't be fooled by what BD was doing at EXAMM and AKC. His job is to test the Thar...even if it means taking it to breaking point. I am positive that you would not be inclined to do that to your OWN vehicle. On Day-1 of EXAMM after the steep descent BD was relocating large boulders with the front suspension arms of the Thar. Break one of those when you are off-road and you will be hoping and praying that you packed a tent with spare food for the long wait.

Mahindra also has an issue with spares...ask HVKumar about his issues in getting parts for his Scorpio (which has been on sale for close to a decade now).

Jimny wins in my book...Maruti just has to bring it here pronto!
Old 31st July 2010, 01:13   #74
Senior - BHPian

tiny jimny building a fan base, already!

im hope maruti moniters TBhp forum to get feedback and reviews about what the customers want!
Old 1st August 2010, 09:48   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Firstly the Jimny launch is pretty much pure speculation at this point. We have no news from Maruthi. Absolutely no spy pics/test mules spotted. Maruthi philosophy is still sub 6 lakh high volume vehicles. If they put the effort into plonking a multi jet or even just bringing the Vitara in CKD form, they an improve the sales a lot. They don't even willingly sell the Gypsy to a civilian unless he/she really wants one and pesters the dealers.

Atleast we know that the Mahindra Thar has some key people who are really trying hard to get it into production. So, guys I think the Force OM611 Gurkha will come out before the Jimny is launched in India. Don't hold your breath because of some speculative news article. People are complaining about the pricing of the Thar.

Do you think Jimny will be cheap?? Mahindra has no additional tooling/parts requirement for Thar as it is pretty much made from existing parts bin and can be assembled on existing assembly lines. It just requires the hear/will to convince Mahindra bosses to roll this out.

Jimny will have to either CDK/CBU or Maruthi will have to import tooling and re-alter their assembly lines. Do you guys think the volumes will justify Maruthi doing etiher? Right now, if you want a refined 4x4 Thar is the most likely thing that will happen in the near future. Rest of the speculations can be thrown into a bucked labelled "Force Gurkha OM611 ".
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks