Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:20   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think it would be 'FUN'? IMHO, it would be dangerous and not at all FUN.

The tractors (the ones we usually find here in India -- am not sure of other parts of the world) are at best suitable for recovery of stuck vehicles with the tractor usually being on firm/flat ground (be it mud/slush). Just because a tractor can pull out a stuck 4x4 doesn't make it a off-road terrain capable vehicle.

There may be a small overlap of terrains between an off-road vehicle and what a tractor can do but I think articulation, crawling over rocks, sharp turns on an incline/decline (just few of the examples) are not something a tractor would be able to do.

Honestly, if someone from our group here in Bangalore were to turn up for an OTR in a tractor, I am sure he would be asked to go back. It is down-right dangerous IMHO.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

It might be interesting to check out the Trantor. Seems to be more ATV/ dune buggy than tractor. (It certainly won't do a good ploughing job)

It is unlikely to be cheap.

Sutripta
Old 1st April 2012, 00:15   #18
BHPian

Re: A Tractor for OTR Excursions - would it be fun?

Tractors would normally be great in coming out of slush and going over obstacles because of high ground clearance.But once it comes to rock climbing or small bunds climbing there are many chances it will topple down as compared to dedicated offroad vehicles.
Well modern tractors now do come with suspended front axle and also some tractors(Fendt) have rear suspension also. They also have suspended cabs and air suspended drivers seat.
I had an oppurtunity to drive a John Deere 4 wheel drive tractor with front suspended axle,suspended cab and suspended drivers seat over a big speed breaker at very high speed enough to lift the wheels clear above the road. I was very afraid in doing so but when the tractor landed I just felt as if my sofa wallowed up and down.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks