Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 16:55   #1

Project 'Buy Jeep' CJ3B or MM550

Hi All Jeepers,

New on Team-BHP (posts), I have been a follower of Auto for as long as I can remember.
Time has come that I take on to my first project and Team-BHP was the first thing that came to my mind. I have been reading about the OTRs and the modifications, about Mayapuri, Moga, Dabwali and places of the sort. I guess most would have figured that I am initiating a project to get (buy and build) myself a capable jeep.

Inviting all BHPians to send in their advice. Let me start by giving an idea about what I want through this project

a) Buy an army disposal jeep (spot the best piece)
b) Keep the initial (purchase) costs low until it is working
c) Built it into a capable machine over the next 3 months

So there are three phases that I have identified to this project

Now for what is the terminal objective

- Attain a Jeep that has the following attributes

1) Make : CJ3B or MM550, open with tarpolin/leatherite shed with drop over bonnet wind-shield
2) Engine : Open to options, the more efficient and powerful/torqueier the better ( I'm told the Toyota 1N with turbo and intercooler is a good one)
3) Front/Rear independent suspension for smoother ride (know this will get the 4x4 removed, am ok with that)
4) Power steering unit (in case not already present)
5) Transmission : whatever is best mated to the engine 4/5 speed fw with overdrive, need advise!
6) Tyres ; Best suited, not too fancy or over bloated that just look good and ride goes for toss.
7) Complete denting/anti-rust treatment/scrubbing and painting of vehicle
8) Air conditioning unit (to be added as originally none of the jeeps come with one)
9) Basic incar entertainment (all concealed and hidden)
10) Colour white/ mud brown with black painted rims for the grungy looks
11) Delhi/Noida registration (as long as it is street legal I'm ok with it)

I have visited Mayapuri once and like one of the posts said, it is not a market newbies could figure, I felt completely lost.
Just saw Pali and Padam motors and came back. I thought it'd be right to go with someone already knowing someone there and so thought of this thread.

I'm now so aware of the Jeepers at Team BHP that I'm almost sure that I will be able to go to Mayapuri by next week, and this time round with names and knowing "WHAT EXACTLY" to look for and at what price.

More after I get some responses. Jeepers please advice!

Rgds
car2fast
Old 10th August 2010, 20:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2fast View Post
Hi All Jeepers,

1) Make : CJ3B or MM550, open with tarpolin/leatherite shed with drop over bonnet wind-shield

3) Front/Rear independent suspension for smoother ride (know this will get the 4x4 removed, am ok with that)
car2fast,

A Jeep is not a Jeep if it is not a 4X4. Many serious Jeepers will agree and endorse it, and later you too will. Independent suspension for a smoother ride at this cost?

There are many cars with smoother rides with IFS.

A CJ-3B or MM550, both have the Jeep DNA deeply ingrained in them.
If you are looking for a Jeep that's big and looks muscular go for 550, if you are looking for something more compact that can perform on par with the the 550 or also out perform it...nothing better than a 3B.

Finally it depends on your plan of application.

Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 10th August 2010 at 20:07.
Old 10th August 2010, 20:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

hi check out following threads.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...onversion.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/79216-my-new-baby-4x4-jeep-no-specific-model-because-its-all-mix-match.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/51961-story-my-jeep-mm-440-a.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/80026-my-monster-mm-550-a.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/54560-jeeps-gypsys-all-through-army-auctions-what-when-where-how.html
what do you think about Thar ? (warranty & reliability)

as fazal sahab said go for 550(ngcs if possible).
they are becoming more common now.

nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 10th August 2010 at 20:14.
Old 10th August 2010, 20:27   #4
BHPian

Have you ever driven a CJ3b or mm550 or any Jeep ?

"3) Front/Rear independent suspension for smoother ride (know this will get the 4x4 removed, am ok with that)"

then why you need a Jeep ?

If you Just need to do a Project and lots of money and time to spend go ahead and there are lots of ideas to come.

OR Buy a Toyota Qualis and put a jeep body on it.
Old 10th August 2010, 21:14   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you are Ok with that, we need to move this thread out of this section. Please confirm whether you are looking for a 4x4 vehicle or not. - Support Team
Old 10th August 2010, 22:02   #6

Okie first things first ....

1. Thanks for a quick reply. Couldn't have a faster forum running

Secondly

2. I'm very much am on the look-out for a 4x4, but I thought the same was possible even with an IFS + Rear independent.

I read on one of the forums that to install a bigger engine guys as Moga remove the original 4x4 (which I assumed could be installed later).
I will also commit to my want of the creation being highly tarmac worthy too as in being very drivable in city (hence the a/c and the power steering).
I guess I need someone to draw the lines for me as to what I can get and where I must begin.
The final product I'm aiming should have the rock-solid built, grungy looks (not polished like a Merc) and capable on and off road (on-road preferred initially as I will be using it for my daily running too.
Rome wasn't built in a day and so I want to give it time and thought while I proceed.

Good to know that there is more than just me in this now, for me.

@shreejeshmp
I also want this to work out very efficiently on the money counter. Best bargains are a must.

@samurai
For sure and yes, a 4x4 is the ultimate aim, so please do not even think on lines of moving this thread elsewhere. Thanks

@jeepster
you have given me my homework so will read through these posts

@fazalaliadil
Your threads speak of your experience, and I have read a few.
I am personally inclined towards both (CJ3B and MM550) equally.

As dad was in the Army, have gone to Leh from Srinagar on the CJ and had a unit MM550 at Tejpur (Assam), HQ 4 Corps. I remember the MM550 to have better damping on bad/broken roads especially when at speed and the CJ for its manueverability and get across swamps capabilities.

I'm told that once the vehicles are a cat 4 and disposed, that's when the civil world turns it into gold. I have seen tastefully restored jeeps and some that even look more capable in its second life. Please note I personally HATE the jeeps that are decked up in red or black, with multiple stickers, have a spade and an axe stuck to them, and with bubble/ low profile tyres can actually just do the job of a cart, but more sophisticatedly. LOL!

So for a start, let me make this key change if all think that it's best to start with a 4x4 in place, YES i'm on the look-out for a 4x4 and a CJ3B/ MM550.

As of now I'm only thinking at Pali/Padam/ Choudhary at Mayapuri.
I'm also ok to go to Meerut, once some names and models available are known. And even before that I need to have a list in place of "WHAT EXACTLY" to look for.

Thanks again for your quick replies. I'm loving it. Keep those ideas coming and as I requested, i want some more information on sourcing the base unit in Delhi.
Old 11th August 2010, 09:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

My personal suggestion, first zero down on the intended use of the jeep. If you are interested to have a SWB jeep for weekend OTRs, you should go for the CJ3b with the original hurricane engine. Though you should be ready to spend significant time in restoring & maintaining the jeep. On the other hand, if you want to have a jeep for multipurpose use i.e. daily drive as well as OTRs, 540/550 suits better. Don't worry too much about bigger/engine with more torque and all, stock/normal engines might just be sufficient for most of the usage. My petrol jeep with a 'not-so-torqy' engine does everything it is being put into.
And don't ever compromise on the 4wd component for the sake of smoother ride or anything, jeep is one of those cheapset yet robust vehicles you can have which can give you the wonderful experience of using the 4 wheel drive and will come to the rescue in countless occasions. Lastly, even if you pick up a army disposal vehicle from mayapuri, don't get the restoration done from there. Take your time, zero in on a good workshop and get the things done from there.
Old 11th August 2010, 11:28   #8

THanks Kandisa,

I was given the same advice over a few interactions I had since yesterday. I have also contacted Mr. Dilip Kumar (I guess he'd be known here), who has restored three jeeps and agreed to help me on my project. He too gave me a thumbs up for the MM550 (NCGS), which I am now more enclined towards (thanks to fazal Sir and his creation for it).

I am now going to source the base unit in this week (as planned) and then over Mr Kumars recommendation and others here at T-BHP will start the restoration process. And yes, restoration at Mayapuri is a no-no as one only gets 'Jugaad' or make-shift parts there, which will no last and surely give trouble.

Rgds
Old 12th August 2010, 23:04   #9
BANNED

Hi ppl do you get MM550 (NCGS) that easy? i dont think so.at least not in chennai

Guru please enlighten
Old 14th August 2010, 22:28   #10

@Joshguy
You were right - NGCS has a queue. I told all the guys I met to let me know as soon as one os available. Actually the NGCS with the LSD is only available on models 2003 onwards, I was told at Padams (Mayapuri).

Few Snaps I took at Pali's, Padam's, Khanna's, Choudhary's and a few not so renowned ones.

There are 2 categories available
a) To be restored - Onwards Rs 80, 000
b) Start - Which essentially has a battery put in, some paint work and can take you form A to B. - Onwards Rs 1,20,000.
c) CJ3B's were about 10 k more. (Though I'm set to get a MM550, couldn't help resist the CJs)

I have been recommended a restorer (@ Noida), whom i will contact and then plan the acquire of the base unit.

Another suggestion given is that I take up an already restored vehicle. This kills the fun of seeing your own built jeep from scratch, but assures on saving time and effort. I'm not so convinced on this.

With my limited knowledge (as compared to the Guru's here), I think its best to wait a month or so for the NGCS (MM550).

Fazal Sir, Your jeep is an aspiration. I need a restoration guideline that I can follow over the three phases of my project, as mentioned earlier

a) Buy an army disposal jeep (spot the best piece)
b) Keep the initial (purchase) costs low until it is working
c) Built it into a capable machine over the next 3 months

Jeepers/ Gurus - Advise plz!!
Attached Thumbnails
Project 'Buy Jeep' CJ3B or MM550-mm550-3-pali.jpg  

Project 'Buy Jeep' CJ3B or MM550-mm550-4-padam.jpg  

Project 'Buy Jeep' CJ3B or MM550-mm550-3-padam.jpg  

Project 'Buy Jeep' CJ3B or MM550-running-2.jpg  

Project 'Buy Jeep' CJ3B or MM550-mm550-3-khanna.jpg  

Project 'Buy Jeep' CJ3B or MM550-running-51.jpg  

Project 'Buy Jeep' CJ3B or MM550-cj3b-3-padam.jpg  

Project 'Buy Jeep' CJ3B or MM550-cj3b-4-padam.jpg  

Project 'Buy Jeep' CJ3B or MM550-cj3b-choudhary.jpg  

Old 15th August 2010, 10:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fazal Sir, Your jeep is an aspiration. I need a restoration guideline that I can follow over the three phases of my project, as mentioned earlier
car2fast,

Thank you for your appreciation.

Which Jeep are you talking about, as I did three 540's and would be glad to help you anytime. Soon to be unveiled here is a CJ-3B.

The three Jeeps and links for your reference.

Project 'Buy Jeep' CJ3B or MM550-j-5.jpg
Project 'Buy Jeep' CJ3B or MM550-j6.jpg
Project 'Buy Jeep' CJ3B or MM550-j13.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...derabad-4.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...pleted-13.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...sformed-4.html

Regards,
Old 15th August 2010, 11:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Actually the NGCS with the LSD is only available on models 2003 onwards, I was told at Padams (Mayapuri).
So i guess one needs to wait for around 2-3 years more to get hands on such a piece unless some badly damaged vehicles come to mayapuri in between!

Quote:
...I have been recommended a restorer (@ Noida), whom i will contact and then plan the acquire of the base unit.
Just interested to know the name of the restorer in Noida as i stay there.

Quote:
...Another suggestion given is that I take up an already restored vehicle. This kills the fun of seeing your own built jeep from scratch, but assures on saving time and effort. I'm not so convinced on this.
Well if you choose to go for a semi-restored vehicle from Mayapuri, at least for the next couple of months you will be a regular visitor to this area to sort out one thing or other.

Quote:
With my limited knowledge (as compared to the Guru's here), I think its best to wait a month or so for the NGCS (MM550).
Even i also 've limited knowledge, but i don't think NGCS series of 550's will be available so soon. Did the dealers give you any timeline on that?

Quote:
....a) Buy an army disposal jeep (spot the best piece)...
These dealers often do a touch up paint job to few jeeps and project those vehicles in a better state. So 'spot the best piece' with caution.
Old 15th August 2010, 12:34   #13

@Kandisa

I was recommended Mr. Raj Kapoor (not the film line one, and guess he'd also be known here) by Mandeep @ Noida. I'm told the Jeep would turn more than 'In Prestine condition' and will be ready to take on a right out of the factory jeep too. This however is at a phenomenal cost and so beats my Project's set budget.
Next I am told to contact Classic (again at Noida) as they are authorised Mahindra workshop and do quite a good job. I am trying to locate their contact. I will also pick-up the M550 piece over the restorer's insistance.

Next-up, I just had a word with Ganesh (Padam's Mayapuri) and he told me that the NGCS is phenominally more expensive, over 2 lacs for the base unit as they are manufactured 2004 onwards. Availability is too scarse and wait time cannot be calculated. Those acquired also are currently put on auction. Last peice went as high as 1.7 which was damaged (accidental) too.

So 2002 non NGCS MM550 is what I have reduced my acquire to. There are 2 peices with Padams for 80 k, which is where I want to begin.

When I said restored I didn't mean the ones with a flimsy restoration at Mayapuri, I meant the ones that have got the treatment alike what I have planned (ones in the classified section of T-BHP). Some have offered me here, still, my heart calls for my own restoration.

@ Fazal Sir
Wow, I just knew about your White 550. Had seen the red one, and liked it too, but didn't know it was your work. Personally, I'm not too found of red (unless its a Ferrari) . YOur third creation also interests me, as I plan to get a similar paint job done, brown n black (as of now poor in Jeep shades).

Some specific know-how about the restoration -

a) How is the to be restored vehicle transported to the garage. (who arranges/ costs involved)
b) Do restorers ordinarily involve in acquire (as I'm adament on)
c) need an idea on the estimated cost of repairs including professional/labour charges of the garrage

More on this thread once I get to the restorer, hopefully 'Classic' as planned until yet...
Old 15th August 2010, 20:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Kandisa
I was recommended Mr. Raj Kapoor (not the film line one, and guess he'd also be known here) by Mandeep @ Noida. I'm told the Jeep would turn more than 'In Prestine condition' and will be ready to take on a right out of the factory jeep too. This however is at a phenomenal cost and so beats my Project's set budget.
Next I am told to contact Classic (again at Noida) as they are authorised Mahindra workshop and do quite a good job. I am trying to locate their contact. I will also pick-up the M550 piece over the restorer's insistance. ...
Offcourse everyone understands here what is meant by Raj Kapoor and that he is not related to the film industry Yeah if you 've the money, go to Performance Motors. Classic does decent jobs and charges quite handsomely, though i am not too sure whether they can guide you to pick up a disposal piece. Rest experts can advise you.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:26   #15
BHPian

What about gypsys? How much do they quote for a MG410W or a KING MPFI? im interested in getting either of the two . Please help

Most Viewed