Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 22:08   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Congrats. So, let us know the wish list please

All the very best for the transformation. Good luck.
The wish is to spec it something similar to a Camel Trophy Land Rover, but without changing the bodyline of the Jonga (i.e., Nissan Patrol G60).

I intend retaining the original 4L 6 Cylinder engine and the transmission. The wheels and the tyres will definitely be upgraded. A good example that I might want to follow is Mike Warner's safari-equipped 1967 Nissan Patrol, though the colour might be slightly subdued. (Picture courtesy Hybrid Jeep Photos on The CJ3B Page)

The specs are still evolving and I would welcome suggestions. I intend doing the restoration over the next 4 -6 months.

Regards

Jaskirat
Attached Thumbnails
Finally I have my JONGA-warner67nissanpatrol.jpg  

Old 14th August 2010, 00:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!! jaskirat for the beast you brought, are you planning to take up the restoration work first or would like to start and drive the Jonga. Ah! my dream machine MM550's are just waiting for a real Jeep lovers. The pic you have posted in your last thread (yellow and black) is it a Jonga or a Nissan? I could read Jonga on the bonnet. Are you planning to do the same way, it would be quite intresting and I promise I am here on this thread to witness a Beast evolving into a Dream machine. all the best.
Old 14th August 2010, 10:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Congratulations!! jaskirat for the beast you brought, are you planning to take up the restoration work first or would like to start and drive the Jonga. Ah! my dream machine MM550's are just waiting for a real Jeep lovers. The pic you have posted in your last thread (yellow and black) is it a Jonga or a Nissan? I could read Jonga on the bonnet. Are you planning to do the same way, it would be quite intresting and I promise I am here on this thread to witness a Beast evolving into a Dream machine. all the best.
Hi Chanu,

'JONGA' was the name (an acronym for Jabalpur Ordance and Gun Assembly) given to Nissan Patrol G60 by the Indian Army. The vehicle in the picture is a Nissan Patrol G60 based in Australia.

Regards
Jaskirat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2010, 10:35   #19
BHPian

@ Jaskirat,
Congrats on the purchase of INDIAN HUMVEE.

You have got a very decent JONGA from auction & as per the number plate its just 13 yrs old, thats what it makes this JONGA different from other JONGA's that I have seen & also see the devnagri JONGA logo on bonnet which is very rare to find.
I have complete scanned manual of Nissan P60 that is known as JONGA in India. Please PM me your e-mail ID & also mobile number so that I can send you the manual by e-mail.

Last edited by dhrishikesh : 14th August 2010 at 10:43.
Old 14th August 2010, 10:44   #20
BHPian

Hey jaskirat congrats on acquiring a JONGA , you are one lucky person to get a JONGA and a very lucky guy to get it in such good condition . HAppy restoration . Do share the cost of the vehicle if you don mind
Old 14th August 2010, 14:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Are you planning to come up with the same kind of outcome as in the picture. As I feel it would be one of a kind restoration rather makeover and I presume if so yours would be the first JONGA to get the make over.

Jaskrit would you be using this Beast for off roading or will that be for a long drives? I am very eager to follow this thread since the Rover Restoration done her sometimes ago. Before that can we have some photoshoot of you JONGA at the current stage. Please.

First glimpse of your JONGA gave me a feel of a ROVER so I called it a INDIAN ROVER

Last edited by chanu : 14th August 2010 at 14:32.
Old 14th August 2010, 15:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man. Looks great and im sure will be deadly once it hits the roads. In the meanwhile, as you gather the stuFf you want to give it the makeover, just get the mechanicals set and tAke her for a few Otrs. Get used to the beast.
Old 14th August 2010, 18:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Congrats dude.

happy restoration.
Thanks ... looking forward to the restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Congrats. The Jonga appears to be in drivable condition, comparing to the ex-army mm550s.
All the best for the restoration.
Will be glued to this thread.
As you rightly said, the Jonga was in a far better condition compared to the MM550s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Vadhaiyaan Jaskirat on your JONGA.

waiting to hear your the full story about how you tried and tried and never gave up, and got the JONGA!

i must say, look at the pool of MM550s lying around in the photos!
Parm, I'll share the full story in the next few days. As for the pool of MM550s, there were atleast 30-35 Jeeps at the Depot. Many of them were is fairly decent condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Wow, congrats dude! waiting to see the pic after restoration

btw those mm550 hope they wont rust in peace
Hopefully there will be some enthusiasts for the MM550s, but I doubt if all the 30 - 35 that were there will hit the road again
Old 14th August 2010, 18:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Congrats Jaskirat, your Jonga looks lovely, can see lots of MM's around, any NGCS among them?

Spike
Hi Spike, I am not sure what you mean by NGCS. What does this acronym stand for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Jaskirat ,congrats man !

Jonga is in good shape,is this petrol or diesel?
This Jonga has a 6 Cylinder 4L in-line Petrol Engine that produces 110bhp at 3200 RPM and 26.9kgm Torque at 1200 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Nice.
I had heard from a Certain Bhpian,that you were looking for a 1-ton too.
Its a Nice buy.
it looks like its a 97 Model,probably,the last one's to be manufactured.
Whats under the hood? the 6 Cylinder motor?
I was looking for a 1 T, but now that I have this Jonga I will probably give the 1 Ton a miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Nice Jonga. Let the story start rolling I want see the beauty touching the road. As everyone noticed this Jonga looks pretty neat and clean body line.

Did you check the engine and drive line ? I liked the current color scheme as well. You are one lucky person.
Incidently, after taking delivery on August 12, 2010, I towed it back from Jallandhar to Chandigarh. At about 4PM today, after having cleaned the distributor, carburettor, getting the armature of the starter rewound, replacing the spark plugs and the distributor cables, putting in a new battery, I started the old fellow. The engine came to life in just a couple of attempts, and it seems to be in a pretty good condition.

I shall be working on the brakes and differential (rear) tomorrow and hopefully take it for a spin in next couple of days. The front differential will follow later as the front drive shaft was disconnected for some reason.

Quote:
As I mentioned above, I intend taking the old fellow for a spin and maybe drive it for a couple of weeks before commencing the restoration. This way I will get to know what all needs to be done and in what sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
@ Jaskirat,
Congrats on the purchase of INDIAN HUMVEE.

You have got a very decent JONGA from auction & as per the number plate its just 13 yrs old, thats what it makes this JONGA different from other JONGA's that I have seen & also see the devnagri JONGA logo on bonnet which is very rare to find.
I have complete scanned manual of Nissan P60 that is known as JONGA in India. Please PM me your e-mail ID & also mobile number so that I can send you the manual by e-mail.
Thanks for your offer and help. As advised, I have sent my contact details through PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Hey jaskirat congrats on acquiring a JONGA , you are one lucky person to get a JONGA and a very lucky guy to get it in such good condition . HAppy restoration . Do share the cost of the vehicle if you don mind
The landed cost of the Jonga was Rs. 74,000, which includes the bid price, the taxes, ECS to MSTC, transportation from Jallandhar, and charges for registering with to MSTC to bid.

Quote:
Are you planning to come up with the same kind of outcome as in the picture. As I feel it would be one of a kind restoration rather makeover and I presume if so yours would be the first JONGA to get the make over.

Jaskrit would you be using this Beast for off roading or will that be for a long drives? I am very eager to follow this thread since the Rover Restoration done her sometimes ago. Before that can we have some photoshoot of you JONGA at the current stage. Please.

First glimpse of your JONGA gave me a feel of a ROVER so I called it a INDIAN ROVER
I believe there are other enthusiasts before me who have done up their Jonga, and that too very well. One of them is Abhilash Nambiar who has website called myjonga.com

I intend using the vehicle for weekends, and largely for off road drives. I have posted the first pictures of the Jonga along with my first post. I shall be sending in more pictures / videos as the restoration progresses. INDIAN ROVER sounds good, but JONGA PATROL sounds better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Congrats man. Looks great and im sure will be deadly once it hits the roads. In the meanwhile, as you gather the stuFf you want to give it the makeover, just get the mechanicals set and tAke her for a few Otrs. Get used to the beast.
V-16, I appreciate your advise and intend following it. Thanks
Old 14th August 2010, 19:07   #25
BHPian

congrats jaskirat,
that's a really good buy, looking forward to the restoration.
may i suggest that you capture the major steps in the restoration process on video if possible.
it would really be a treat for anyone who loves these icons, but then again that's just a thought.
good luck with the restoration.
Old 14th August 2010, 19:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

NGCS- New generation chassis & suspension systems. I wanted to know if the 550s were from the latest versions.

Spike
Old 14th August 2010, 19:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
NGCS- New generation chassis & suspension systems. I wanted to know if the 550s were from the latest versions.

Spike
Spike, some of the MM550s were 2004 model. So these could be NGCS, but I am not sure.
Old 14th August 2010, 20:37   #28
BHPian

@Jaskirat - Congratulations on your acquisition. All the best for the restoration. Hope you will share the restoration process in detail here.
Old 15th August 2010, 00:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

NGCS was introduced in 1998 in civilian vehicles. Not sure about Military vehicles.
Old 15th August 2010, 00:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the latest possesion. Looking forward to the mods to make it look like the one in the picture on this page. Its gonna be one hell of a ride I'm sure. Best of luck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks