Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 09:27   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskirat View Post
The landed cost of the Jonga was Rs. 74,000, which includes the bid price, the taxes, ECS to MSTC, transportation from Jallandhar, and charges for registering with to MSTC to bid.
Hey man thats a very very good price for such good condition Jonga. Congrats . Will be watching this thread
karizma9292 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2010, 13:29   #32
BHPian

Congrats Jaskirat, wish you all the best with the restortion. You will have a very unique & capable offroader with a legend associated with. Recently i came across asimilar vehicle undergoing restortion in the garage where my Gypsy is lying now for upgradation, came to know that it is alomst 9 months the work has started and the owner & mechanic is so passionate and precise is all the aspects of restortion hence no time limits. Here are some pics clicked on the phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally I have my JONGA-photo0079a.jpg  

Finally I have my JONGA-photo0087a.jpg  

Finally I have my JONGA-photo0084.jpg  

Finally I have my JONGA-photo0080.jpg  

Old 15th August 2010, 18:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil Vincent View Post
Congrats Jaskirat, wish you all the best with the restortion. You will have a very unique & capable offroader with a legend associated with. Recently i came across asimilar vehicle undergoing restortion in the garage where my Gypsy is lying now for upgradation, came to know that it is alomst 9 months the work has started and the owner & mechanic is so passionate and precise is all the aspects of restortion hence no time limits. Here are some pics clicked on the phone.
Thanks for sending the pictures Anil. I can see from the pictures that the owner and the mechanic are very passionate. Its great to see the snorkel and the Yokohama Geolanders M/T. It is quite inspiring.
Old 16th August 2010, 10:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Jay, Congrats on Jonga. Yoko M/Ts look very mean.
How is the availability of parts compared to Vintage jeeps?
Old 16th August 2010, 11:56   #35
BHPian

Hi jaskirat,

Congratulations on your new acquisition!!
I too got a RCL Jonga a couple of months back and have just about managed to get the mechanicals sorted - finding spares in Bombay is a monumental task considering the fact that work keeps me busy..Its good to know that you are intending on keeping the original petrol motor (I intend to do the same as well). the engine, once fully restored is bullet-proof but known to be extremely thirsty - You must consider getting a bigger fuel tank if you intend to drive long distances.

With regards to tires, I would recommend that you get tires that are of a harder compound since the Jonga is really heavy - yokohama MT's might ware out sooner than expected.

Please feel free to get in touch if you have any queries..

Goodluck with the build..

Regards,
Prasad Iyer
Old 16th August 2010, 16:46   #36
BHPian

Congrats on a acquiring a clean Jonga!!
Looks like you got really lucky

Best of luck on your build!!
Cheers
GB
Old 17th August 2010, 00:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Snorkel, alloys, geolander tyres I have never thought someone going that level and that too for a JONGA, I saw people managing with the JONGA as is where condition which eventually turns out to be deteriorating condition, awesome passion for this unique machine, what are your plans Jaskirat? we would love to hear it from you.
Old 17th August 2010, 11:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Jay, Congrats on Jonga. Yoko M/Ts look very mean.
How is the availability of parts compared to Vintage jeeps?
Dwarka, the parts for the Jonga are quite difficult to get, especially the rubbers, gaskets and trims. The mechanical parts can be got from the scrap market e.g., Mayapuri, but you need a keen eye to pick-up the right parts.

I agree that the Yoko M/Ts look great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Hi jaskirat,

Congratulations on your new acquisition!!
I too got a RCL Jonga a couple of months back and have just about managed to get the mechanicals sorted - finding spares in Bombay is a monumental task considering the fact that work keeps me busy..Its good to know that you are intending on keeping the original petrol motor (I intend to do the same as well). the engine, once fully restored is bullet-proof but known to be extremely thirsty - You must consider getting a bigger fuel tank if you intend to drive long distances.

With regards to tires, I would recommend that you get tires that are of a harder compound since the Jonga is really heavy - yokohama MT's might ware out sooner than expected.

Please feel free to get in touch if you have any queries..

Goodluck with the build..

Regards,
Prasad Iyer
Hi Prasad,

Its great to know that there are several Jongas undergoing restoration. Hopefully one day we can meet with our vehicles, and also form a Jonga Club.

I have just started working on my Jonga and am addressing the mechanicals first. Parallely I would be working on the electricals. Only after I am satisfied with the running of the vehicle will I begin work on the body.

The Jonga that I have has fairly strong mechanicals and might not need too much of time to sort out. In fact the engine is in great condition and has already been started. I shall focus more on the suspension and the drivetrain.

Like you I also do not get too much time to work on my vehicle. I do whatever I can on the weekends.

I do not intend using Yokohama, but would be considering Silverstone / Cooper instead (I am attaching a picture of Silverstones that I took sometimes back in Delhi). These are definitely much harder than the Yokohamas. But tyres and wheels are still far away on my agenda.

Hope to keep in touch.

Regards

Jaskirat
Attached Thumbnails
Finally I have my JONGA-06012010083.jpg  

Last edited by Jaskirat : 17th August 2010 at 11:51.
Jaskirat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2010, 12:12   #39
BHPian

Dont want to play the contrary factor, but just a query can a scorpio 2.6 regular or CRDE with gearbox be plonked in the Jonga. Is it feasible ?
Old 17th August 2010, 16:55   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Dont want to play the contrary factor, but just a query can a scorpio 2.6 regular or CRDE with gearbox be plonked in the Jonga. Is it feasible ?
I am quite certain it is feasible, but why ?
Old 17th August 2010, 20:40   #41
BHPian

Cost effectiveness, more reliablity and torque.
Old 17th August 2010, 20:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

@Jaskirat
hey man congrats
i just love jongas and if you need any help on the weekends when you are working on jonga i would be more than happy help you out
Old 17th August 2010, 21:54   #43
BHPian

Wow! Second Jonga restoration/redo so close to home?

Once things are sorted out a little, would like to have a look at the beast.

BTW Jaskirat, do we have good mechs for Jonga in Chandigarh or would you be taking it somewhere else for the work?

Keep the updates coming and all the very best!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 17th August 2010, 22:14   #44
BANNED

Jaskirat do you have any idea on how much mileage will the petrol jonga return?
Old 18th August 2010, 11:43   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Jaskirat do you have any idea on how much mileage will the petrol jonga return?
My estimate is 4 - 5 Kmpl. I intend converting the Jonga to electronic ignition, with which the mileage should improve slightly. I will pop a bottle of Champagne if it starts giving 6 Kmpl.

Regards

Jaskirat
Jaskirat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks