Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 19:21   #1
BHPian

Cj3b??

Hi Guys,

Asking the question in a separate thread as could not locate the required infor post searching, My swift broke down and the neighbourhood garage guy lent me this Jeep and I am smitten completely by it.

Its a 1963 LHD, diesel, 2 WD, supposedly with a Diesel engine (peaugeot, as the garage guy claimed) 3 speed gear box, driveable however felt like driving a Matador (never drive one though) however this vehicle had charecter that my suzuki lacks

The asking price is 1.75 L, negotiable till 1.5 L, can some one pls suggest is this a good price?

Also if you can guide me what all to check for while picking up a vehicle this old,

Some pics for reference,

Mods- Apologies if a thread already exists, will appreciate a right direction
Attached Thumbnails
Cj3b??-picture-279.jpg  

Cj3b??-picture-281.jpg  

Cj3b??-picture-283.jpg  

Old 13th August 2010, 21:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks a clean Jeep. You can estimate around 10-15K for converting the Jeep to 4x4 provided it has to be peugeot not matador engine as the height of the later one may kiss with the front differentials.

I'm still doubting if this vehicle is 2WD as I could see the front differential housing is seen in the picture. May be they have delinked it from the transfer case.

As this Jeep still retains the LHD, the vintage value is worth at the price 1.5L. It is a decent one and I guess you should go for it.

-Siva
Old 13th August 2010, 21:31   #3
BANNED

Suvrajit its not a 2wd it has a front differential

1.5L looks like a decent price for me
Old 13th August 2010, 21:37   #4
BHPian

I think you are lucky to get fine Cj3B with a LHD and peugeot engine at 1.5 lakh. go ahead and change the gear box to KMT90 with T18 transfer case.
Old 14th August 2010, 00:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

thats a nicely maintained jeep in the photos.

dude if you are willing to spend TIME & MONEY on that jeep on a regular basis, go ahead and buy it!

otherwise stick to your swift!
Old 14th August 2010, 15:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

They may have taken out the front propeller to save fuel (disconnecting the 4 wheel drive)

If I were you I would find out what it would take to restore this vehicle's four wheel drive. I would also take it to an independent mechanic to see it it is really as good as it looks, e.g. is the frame structurally sound, has it been in an accident etc. Have the mech check the brakes and the suspension, too....you need to be able to stop and steer first and foremost.

If you buy it, be prepared to spend a lot of time tinkering with it and fixing the 182 small things and 3 big things that are going to go wrong with it. Bangalore is probably one of the best places in India to restore and fix a vintage jeep like this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks