Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 20:48   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Shibu, where is the hub lock? I can't see it or did I miss it?Spike
SPIKEY, Not hub locks dear. My mistake. Its was the LHS drive flange. The mechanic was always calling drive flange as hub locks. Hence I also repeated. the same..

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-drive-flange.jpg
Old 1st September 2010, 12:05   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
While searching for some Defender pics to help my restoration.I stumbled upon these Defender advts.. Thought of sharing it with all.

All pics copyright to respective owners.

Attachment 416241
I met a guy a few years back who worked with a test team at LR and he assured me that this advert and another where the LR climbs up a dam were real shots in stock vehicles.
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:39   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
hey shibu, looking forward for the restoration of the Landy.
Abheek, please take photos during your travel to nagpur!
Parm, This thread will be updated regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
I met a guy a few years back who worked with a test team at LR and he assured me that this advert and another where the LR climbs up a dam were real shots in stock vehicles.

bigman
, I am not surprised to hear that. Land Rover's can do it. Thanks for sharing the info.

Friends, I forgot to mention or share who was there with me to check this Landy and to test drive it. See below.

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-img_3723.jpg

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-img_3742.jpg

Even though Landy's are not his cup of tea, I was really fortunate to have UBS with me to test drive this vehicle and be there with me for the entire process of procuring and shipping this Landy from Sikkim/WB. Thank you Sir. Without you this wouldn't have been possible.
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:58   #79
Senior - BHPian

Shibu! you are the lucky one.

Whats the story with the bull chasing you in Siliguri.?
Old 3rd September 2010, 08:30   #80
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shibu,
It was great to meet you in Delhi. I really wanted to come and see your Landy on Saturday the 28th Aug, but couldn't for obvious reasons that you know.
Anyways I've spoken to Abheek and we've agreed that when he's in Delhi to pick up the Landy I would see your the vehicle and have a go at the wheel then.
Cheers mate
Harjeev
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:34   #81
BHPian

Dates of the delhi - nagpur drive decided. I will be driving from Delhi to Nagpur between 17 to 20 sept .Route : Delhi - Agra - Gwalior - Jhansi - Panna - Katni/Bandhavgarh - Jabalpur - Seoni - Nagpur with stop overs at Agra, Panna and other places to explore the area including khajurao. 2 partners found, looking for 1 more . This is one long photography drive of my dreams.

Dr. A Ghosh

We'll drive the defender and another Gypsy.
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:06   #82
Senior - BHPian

Great abheek. So you should be in Delhi by the 17th of September.
So can you share what further work are you guys thinking of getting done at Nagpur and i hope that you would take the charge of updating this thread with the latest updates as and when they come up???
I have already maked my dates Please do let me know when you turn up in Delhi and are you getting your own gypsy to Delhi or thinking of driving Shibus white gypsy to nagpur???
Cheers
Old 5th September 2010, 15:17   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Shibu! you are the lucky one.
Whats the story with the bull chasing you in Siliguri.?
SirAlec ,Thanks so much. Please don't remind me the Bull story. That was one of my worst nightmares. Glad that I am still alive. When you talk to UBS sir next time, ask him he will tell you more about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Shibu,
It was great to meet you in Delhi. I really wanted to come and see your Landy on Saturday the 28th Aug, but couldn't for obvious reasons that you know.
Anyways I've spoken to Abheek and we've agreed that when he's in Delhi to pick up the Landy I would see your the vehicle and have a go at the wheel then. Cheers mate
Harjeev
harjeev, It was great to meet you too in Delhi. Its alright about not seeing the Landy bcos I know the reasons.
Dr. Abheek has almost finalised the trip. Good to know that you are already in touch with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Dates of the delhi - nagpur drive decided. I will be driving from Delhi to Nagpur between 17 to 20 sept .Route : Delhi - Agra - Gwalior - Jhansi - Panna - Katni/Bandhavgarh - Jabalpur - Seoni - Nagpur with stop overs at Agra, Panna and other places to explore the area including khajurao. 2 partners found, looking for 1 more . This is one long photography drive of my dreams.
Dr. A Ghosh We'll drive the defender and another Gypsy.
abheekg, Wish you all the very best Doc, for the drive of your dreams.Wish I could join but cant make it this time. Please post a detailed travelogue and pics of your trip.

Quote:
Great abheek. So you should be in Delhi by the 17th of September.
So can you share what further work are you guys thinking of getting done at Nagpur and i hope that you would take the charge of updating this thread with the latest updates as and when they come up???
I have already maked my dates Please do let me know when you turn up in Delhi and are you getting your own gypsy to Delhi or thinking of driving Shibus white gypsy to nagpur???Cheers

harjeev
, I am planing to do a full rebuild of the Defender in Nagpur. Myself and Abheek will be updating this thread as its happening. I need some help from you in Delhi. Will send you PM. Yes my White DL Gypsy is accompanying the Landy to Nagpur.
Old 7th September 2010, 18:26   #84
BHPian

Quote:
So can you share what further work are you guys thinking of getting done at Nagpur Cheers
Harjeev,

Below are the works I am planning to do next. Most of them will be done in Nagpur and remaining will be done in Kerala.

Basic Mechanical work
  • Full mechanical checkup and fix faulty parts
  • Fix faulty gear shift
  • Check and overhaul fuel system
  • Replace entire electricals
  • Check and fix drivetrain
  • Replace all 4x shocks
  • Check and replace coil springs if required
  • Fix the interiors, which includes doors, dash board & seats
Modifications
  • Install External Roll cage
  • Install Roof Rack
  • Install winch bumper in the front
  • Install skid plates for Engine, GB & Frame sliders
  • Install Pinion guards for the propellor shafts
Roll Cage

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-roll-cage_4.jpg

Roll Cage + Roof Rack
Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-roll-cage-roof-rack.jpg

Roof Rack (Exploded View)
Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-sdrack.jpg.jpeg

Front winch bumper
Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-winch-bumper.jpg

Skid Plate
Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-skid-plate-gb.jpg

Frame Slider
Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-frame-slider.jpg

Pinion Guard
Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-pinion-guard.jpg

To be continued.....
Old 7th September 2010, 20:47   #85
BANNED

dont forget to renew the timing belt (only original ), Also have the distributor pump/fuel injection pump callibrated for right quantity .

Yours Sudarshan
Old 8th September 2010, 00:18   #86
BHPian

Hi. Nice plans.

BTW whats the necessity of frame sliders? (Just asking) I mean frame rails itself can act as sliders as there is no protruding parts/nuts-bolts on it?
May be avoid hard scratches?
Old 9th September 2010, 12:47   #87
Senior - BHPian

Great plans Shibu!!!
I am actually interested in the details for the underbody skid plates. Any specific place you are thinking of getting them from or are you getting these specially fabricated???
Also The roof rack and external rollcage will be a great addition.

Cheers
Old 9th September 2010, 13:04   #88
Senior - BHPian

diff guard

These diff guard-cum-skid plate looks drool, but doesnt cover the pinion. I think these could be home-fabricated with some good blacksmith and really think steel. GC will go down max 0.5 inch, but gives peace of mind.

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-94866lg.jpg
Old 9th September 2010, 13:15   #89
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shibu,
Your Defender is a beauty as it is.
Get it a winch, spare on the bonnet, suitable tyres and a new paint job.
Get rid of the Mahindra side view mirrors and don't go for the proposed roll bar as it will spoil the looks.
Regards,
Old 9th September 2010, 17:36   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
dont forget to renew the timing belt (only original ), Also have the distributor pump/fuel injection pump callibrated for right quantity .Yours Sudarshan
Sudarshan, Thanks for that tip. I completely missed it. Will do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Hi. Nice plans.
BTW whats the necessity of frame sliders? (Just asking) I mean frame rails itself can act as sliders as there is no protruding parts/nuts-bolts on it?
May be avoid hard scratches?
offroad_maniac, Frame sliders are to protect the frame and prevent the frame ears from catching on ledges and obstacles.
There are no protruding nuts & bolts on frame,. but the frame ears are vulnerable.

Quote:
Great plans Shibu!!!
I am actually interested in the details for the underbody skid plates. Any specific place you are thinking of getting them from or are you getting these specially fabricated???
Also The roof rack and external rollcage will be a great addition.
Cheers
harjeev, There are many ready-made skid plates available for Defenders and other 4x4 like your TLC from various vendors. We can either buy them off the shelf or get them fabricated. I am actually looking at both options right now. Will update you once I finalize.
Roof Rack and External Roll cage will be fully bolt on design and will be used only when I am offroading or doing some expeditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
These diff guard-cum-skid plate looks drool, but doesnt cover the pinion. I think these could be home-fabricated with some good blacksmith and really think steel. GC will go down max 0.5 inch, but gives peace of mind.
svsantosh ,Thanks for posting. I am planning to get similar diff guards for all my 4x4's soon. But still loo king at options whether to buy them or fabricate them .Because they aren't cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Hi Shibu,
Your Defender is a beauty as it is.
Get it a winch, spare on the bonnet, suitable tyres and a new paint job.
Get rid of the Mahindra side view mirrors and don't go for the proposed roll bar as it will spoil the looks.
Regards,
Dear Fazal Sir, Thank you very much.All your recommendations will be done.
Regarding the roll cage. It will be bolt on design and will used only when I am Offroading or going on long Expeditions. Cannot afford to take a chance with my life once more. You know what I am talking about,rite?.
Shibu

Most Viewed