Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2010, 16:36   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Just spoke to Abheek. They're on their way to Jhansi from Gwalior, and plan to stop for the night at Panna. Heavy rain on the way.
Old 21st September 2010, 13:46   #107
BHPian

Friends,
Just got an update from Dr.Abheek Gosh that he and his team reached Nagpur after an adventurous and memorable journey of his life with the Defender and Gypsy.

Hearty Congrats to you and team and Thanks for helping me to bring my dream vehicle to Nagpur and more closer to home.

Lets wait for him for the updates and pics and videos.

Over to you Doctor!
Old 21st September 2010, 13:51   #108
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, Doc. Impressive, managing breakdowns, pouring rains and bad roads, and some zestful day-night driving!
Old 21st September 2010, 13:56   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Dr. Ghosh and team deserve a big round of applause for this!
Old 21st September 2010, 16:50   #110
Senior - BHPian

Great going. Dr. Ghosh and team are doing wonders here. Keep it up and keep us updated,
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:03   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
gypsy broke rear right axle and landie had clutch issues. landie back on roads. gypsy still in docks. received excellent help in agra from vishal (tbhp member) who conjured a mec out of thin air who fixed d landie clutch for peanuts. gypsy repairs costing a bomb and the guys very narrowly escaped getting seriously hurt. we r delayed indefinetely , need to chalk out further plan. what do u suggest ? will update more later
Hey !! Heard you are now fine and reached Nagpur safely.

And by the way the name is Varun. Unless you met someone else in Agra
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:50   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Congrats, Doc. Impressive, managing breakdowns, pouring rains and bad roads, and some zestful day-night driving!
Dear HVK sir, Thank you forall your support during this entire trip. Your directions and pointers really helped Dr. Gosh and team to complete the trip successfully.

And thank you so much for answering my SOS call.

Guys, I need to tell you this story. During this trip, just before reaching Agra the Gypsy's axle broke they were stranded in the middle of nowhere. Then immediately doctor Abheek called me asking whether I know anyone in Agra. Since I didnt know any one in Agra so I posted a facebook update asking for help. The fb update read " Any team-bhpian in and around Agra"

In few minutes I got a reply from HVK sir on fb, contact Varun Kochar! I didnt know who was Varun.So I quickly did a search in facebook and found Varun Kochar was from Agraa and he was also there in HVK's friends list. I send him and email via fb with my contact number and before I could close that web page I got a phone call from none other than Varun Kochar himself asking how can I help you?

Man.. that moment I was flattered with the power and beauty of teambhp's networking.

Then I explained Varun what has happened and passed him Doc Abheeks number.He called Dr. Ghosh immediately and was helping them from that moment till they left Agra the next day morning. He helped them with everything from fixing the Gypsy, Fixing the faulty clutch of the Defender, finding accomodation in Agra and also arranging a security guard to watch both the vehicles through out the night.What more you can expect in a strange place from a new friend.

Varun has commented below. Thanks a lot HVK sir and Varun. I owe you a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Hey !! Heard you are now fine and reached Nagpur safely.

And by the way the name is Varun. Unless you met someone else in Agra
Varun you are the man!! The Good Samaritan who appeared from nowhere and helped the team in an emergency! I know you hate to hear this.. But Thanks a Million again!

I guess Doc had a typo.. he was referring you only.

Thanks to all team-bhpians who helped us in this wonderful and adventurous trip!

We "team-bhp" Rocks!!

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 22nd September 2010 at 21:52.
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:04   #113
Senior - BHPian

JC, why did the Gypsy rear axle fail? Was it similar to your earlier experiences?

Spike
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:21   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
JC, why did the Gypsy rear axle fail? Was it similar to your earlier experiences?

Spike
Spikey..SHHHHHHHHHHHHH... Just kidding ok.
But this time it was not exactly the same the reason. There was some load but not a F-Head Hurricane Engine+T-90GB+ T-18TC. like last time.

I wanted to get a L-Head Engine from Mayapuri, but could not find one.Else I would have put in the Gypsy and send it down. You know the story about dogs tail. hehehe
cheers ................Shibu
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:45   #115
BHPian

oh woow Jeep captain, good purchase and being a resident of siliguri (120kms from gantok) i am proud to say i have seen the vehicle in and around siliguri and darjeeling a few times. I even remember seeing it at the Nepal- india border a few years back and thinking how lucky the guy driving it is . The reason u immediately remember this defender apart from it being a rare sight is because of the shiny grip plate on the bonnet.

I guess you must really be a dedicated fan of the LR brand if you are making all this effort to get it down to Kerala. Good on you. Looking forward to the restoration of your vehicle and more info on how easy/hard it is to find parts for this beauty here in india.

Happy motoring
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:38   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
oh woow Jeep captain, good purchase and being a resident of siliguri (120kms from gantok) i am proud to say i have seen the vehicle in and around siliguri and darjeeling a few times. I even remember seeing it at the Nepal- india border a few years back and thinking how lucky the guy driving it is . The reason u immediately remember this defender apart from it being a rare sight is because of the shiny grip plate on the bonnet.
I guess you must really be a dedicated fan of the LR brand if you are making all this effort to get it down to Kerala. Good on you. Looking forward to the restoration of your vehicle and more info on how easy/hard it is to find parts for this beauty here in india.
Happy motoring
amrisharm, Thank you for your comments. Good to meet a person who has spotted this Defender in its previous habitat.

Yes like many others here, I am a die hard fan of LR & especially LR Defender.That's why I spend 15 years looking for a LR defender.
I am planning to do long expeditions on this vehicle once I am done with the restoration. One or more trips to far east to cover all the far eastern states and Nepal and Bhutan are in the pipeline.

I will update you about parts availability as I am doing the restoration.
Old 23rd September 2010, 17:48   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
amrisharm, Thank you for your comments. Good to meet a person who has spotted this Defender in its previous habitat.

Yes like many others here, I am a die hard fan of LR & especially LR Defender.That's why I spend 15 years looking for a LR defender.
I am planning to do long expeditions on this vehicle once I am done with the restoration. One or more trips to far east to cover all the far eastern states and Nepal and Bhutan are in the pipeline.

I will update you about parts availability as I am doing the restoration.
Woow i am sure there will be a great travelogue write up after your far eastern trip, so cant wait! Like u i too longed to go to bhutan for so many years. Due to financial constraints and lack of a proper SUV in our garage my friends and i decided to do the siliguri- thimpu- paro trip on our motorbikes, and what a fun trip it was. While i was on the trip, there were countless moments when i wished i had a proper SUV and how much more fun it would be.

check out our pics of the roads on that trip, you are going to salivate i am sure as it is perfect defender territory. Since it was my first travelogue, do forgive the amateurish feel of the travelogue.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...impu-paro.html

Also my friend and i, we are taking his maruti esteem 2005 to kathmandu from siliguri this october during our puja holidays. Will keep you posted on that trip as well.

happy motoring buddy, i do soo envy you .
Old 2nd October 2010, 00:19   #118
BHPian

First part of the TL is here

First Overland®: Photography Expedition across India in Land Rover Defender ©Wildcats

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2090060

I will continue updating this thread as and when i get time.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 11th October 2010, 15:40   #119
Senior - BHPian

Shibu,

A few pictures of a Defender to inspire you (as if you need some inspiration )

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-defender90.jpg  

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-defender90a.jpg  

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-defender90b.jpg  

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-defender90c.jpg  

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-defender90d.jpg  

r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2010, 19:19   #120
Senior - BHPian

This looks Awesome.

Shibu Sir, are you considering this kind of a design or are you keeping it as it looks now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks