Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 20:26   #1
BHPian

Land Rover Defender 90 "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain

I still remember the first time I drove a Land Rover 90. It was way back in 1995 on a rainy day in June. I had gone to a Garage in Kothamangalam near Cochin to fix the roll cage and metal cabin for my first Gypsy. The previous owner was a rally driver who use to participate in many INRC rally's including the famous Popular Rally. I bought his Gypsy in soft top condition but when I mentioned him about my rally dreams he offered me his roll cage and rally cabin and many more accessories. After finishing the deal I went to his garage to get the rally stuff fixed. While I was getting the Gypsy done the chief mechanic drove in with bright red Land Rover 90. I was so happy to see one Land Rover 90 in real. I was so excited that I couldn't resist asking for a a test drive in that and the mechanic agreed. It had a i4 diesel motor. Wow.. what an experience. The drive lasted for only 6-8 kilometers but the memories lasted for a life time.
Ever since that incident I have been looking out for a Land Rover to buy in India. After getting a job and with the help of internet my search for a Land Rover become more intense,. I kept searching for years and years without any luck. Mean while I bought a Land Rover Discovery in UAE. After using it for few weeks I was so impressed with it which made me more determined to get a LR in India.

Few months back, with help of internet and various automotive forums I located a LR 90 which is in good condition. And to make the long story short on August 15 2010 I became a proud owner of a Land Rover 90 / Defender 90.

Currently It is not in its best condition and requires some rebuild/restoration which makes me even more happy.I am planning to get all the mechanicals fixed first and then to build it up. Regarding the mods, I have some ideas in my mind and will be sharing with you in due course.

Now let me share the pics.

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-img_3717.jpg

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-img_3722.jpg

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-img_3732.jpg

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-img_3733.jpg
JeepCaptain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2010, 20:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! I will soon going to tell the community that I know a person who has all the 4x4 enabled vehicle under his garage.

And after that I will also tell them that the person who owned all these vehicles gifted me the whole garage with the vehicles. ;-)
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2010, 20:33   #3
BHPian

The utlimate machine money can buy. Congrats.
Old 17th August 2010, 20:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ssweeeeet!!! Dude this is the first ever time I am jealous in the year 2010!!!

The Defender looks great, I am sure she will serve you well. What year is she stamped? What engine does she house? And, what immediate fixing is needed, anything critical?

Can you PM me how much did she cost you and if there are any more available for reasonable prices, I would love to have a look at one if my budget permits...

My heart is burning with envy

p.s: how easily can one source critical parts for this one?

Last edited by The Wolf : 17th August 2010 at 20:43.
The Wolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2010, 20:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

shibu tell me what does it take to stop you from buying such mean monster machines. Congratulations on your acquisition and yeah lemme know when I can take a peek into that lovely garage of yours.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2010, 20:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Shibhu, you keep giving us surprises every now and then. Congratulations for acquiring new formidable beast- Defender. Looks very neat.
dwaraka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2010, 21:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Shibu,
This SWB Defender..........I just can't get my eyes off.
My personal favorite amongst all models of LR's. Congratulations!
Looking forward to the restoration, though not much needs to be done on the exterior.
The spare wheel on the hood enhances the character, look every bit and completes the picture.
This is one 15th August you will never forget.
All the best.

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 17th August 2010 at 21:10.
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2010, 21:13   #8
BHPian

Congratulations. LR Defender 90 my dream 4x4.
I hope Tata will introduce this to India.
I always have a close look with a lots of admiration whenever I see them in the streets of England.
Old 17th August 2010, 21:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Shibu! i was so much waiting for the thread about this vehicle. Where are you planning to restore it.

Have you bought the parts needed.?
Old 17th August 2010, 21:22   #10
BHPian

Congratulations Dear friend

I never felt envy for Tommi Mäkinen
I never felt envy for Sébastien Loeb
But You made me jealousy.

Once again Congratulations.

When are you taking it to Kerala ? from where do you plan to do the restoration ? I really want to see your Landy.

-Sreejesh
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2010, 21:22   #11
BHPian

Was waiting for this thread!!!! So when is the Unimog and G-Wagon coming in?

--Sree--
Old 17th August 2010, 21:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Shibu, you lucky lucky guy

Congratulations on getting hold of what is the finest off roader in the world. The front grille etc. tells me that its a newer generation Defender. What all have you planned for her? Some interior pictures are needed too. Under your love and care, I'm sure she will be gleaming as new soon.

Drive safe and hope to see her in her natural habitat soon
Old 17th August 2010, 22:17   #13
BANNED

Jeep captain ,I might be wrong but is this LR from chennai??

Last month i saw a similar LR being towed towards chennai from kanchipuram.
Old 17th August 2010, 22:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

JC,

That is one wonderful buy you have there, a dream machine.

Congrats!
Old 18th August 2010, 03:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Congratulations! I will soon going to tell the community that I know a person who has all the 4x4 enabled vehicle under his garage.
And after that I will also tell them that the person who owned all these vehicles gifted me the whole garage with the vehicles. ;-)
trammway, Thank you so much bro.You can have all my 4x4's.After all two of them are with me because of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
The utlimate machine money can buy. Congrats.
prmd_cochin, Thank you man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Ssweeeeet!!! Dude this is the first ever time I am jealous in the year 2010!!!
The Defender looks great, I am sure she will serve you well. What year is she stamped? What engine does she house? And, what immediate fixing is needed, anything critical?
Can you PM me how much did she cost you and if there are any more available for reasonable prices, I would love to have a look at one if my budget permits...
My heart is burning with envy
p.s: how easily can one source critical parts for this one?
The Wolf, Thanks a million man. Let me answer your queries one by one
  • Its 1987 model
  • It has a inline 4 cylinder 2.5L naturally aspirated Diesel Engine
  • Other than engine and body, everything needs immediate attention
  • Hope nothing is critical, but transfer case is present but not working
  • will send you a PM
  • I am not aware about any more LR 90 for sale, even this one is a result of my 15 years of searching
  • People say parts are available in Bombay & Delhi, but dont know what all parts we can get there.
  • Another option is Bhutan for spare parts
  • For me, being a LR discovery owner in UAE, I have access to all parts dealers and scrap dealers here, so finding parts will not be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
shibu tell me what does it take to stop you from buying such mean monster machines. Congratulations on your acquisition and yeah lemme know when I can take a peek into that lovely garage of yours.
rjstyles69, Thanks very much indeed. I will be able to stop once I have one from each of the iconic 4x4's in my garage. You can visit my garage any time. Just give me a shout before you decide to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Shibhu, you keep giving us surprises every now and then. Congratulations for acquiring new formidable beast- Defender. Looks very neat.
dwarak Sir, Thank you so much for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Shibu,
This SWB Defender..........I just can't get my eyes off.
My personal favorite amongst all models of LR's. Congratulations!
Looking forward to the restoration, though not much needs to be done on the exterior.
The spare wheel on the hood enhances the character, look every bit and completes the picture.
This is one 15th August you will never forget.
All the best.
fazal Sir. I remember you saying that the LR 90 is your personal choice. Thanks a million for your inspiration. Yes, there is hardly anything to be done on the exterior. But lots of work on the mechanical side is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
Congratulations. LR Defender 90 my dream 4x4.
I hope Tata will introduce this to India.
I always have a close look with a lots of admiration whenever I see them in the streets of England.
gonewithwind, Thank you. I hope Tata will bring this machines to India.
I totally agree with you,This is the end result of a 15 year old dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Shibu! i was so much waiting for the thread about this vehicle. Where are you planning to restore it.
Have you bought the parts needed.?
SirAlec, Thanks a lot bro. I will be troubling you a lot for parts and many other stuff.I still haven't decided where to restore it. But its going to be somewhere in north India. I haven't bought any parts, will be doing it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Congratulations Dear friend
I never felt envy for Tommi Mäkinen
I never felt envy for Sébastien Loeb
But You made me jealousy.
Once again Congratulations.
When are you taking it to Kerala ? from where do you plan to do the restoration ? I really want to see your Landy.
-Sreejesh
sreejeshmp, please don't envy me. I am just living my dreams. Thanks a lot for your wishes. It will reach kerala by end of October or early November. You are always welcome to see it anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Was waiting for this thread!!!! So when is the Unimog and G-Wagon coming in?
--Sree--
sreerajunnithan, Thanks a ton bro. As soon as this LR 90 is done I will start looking for a Unimog., G-Wagon and a LR Discovery

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks