Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2010, 12:23   #1
BHPian

Bought A GYPSY KING

Well, not sure how many of you know me. I’m the one who used to come with Bang Bros to all the OTR's. Reason - similar interest.

Been close to a year since I got introduced to off-roading (Kakkabe Was my 1st OTR). Always wanted to do these crazy things, but lack of vehicle made me be just a spectator.

Issue 1. Parents were a skeptical about this sport as it doesn’t look like a sport for them. Dad always says, spending 4-5 lakh on a goods carrier and taking it to some unknown land and come back only with half of the vehicle is not called as sports, its called madness. So they never supported it.

Issue 2. Already own Hyundai Accent (I bought it and I’m just a kid) and affording another vehicle would put me in not so nice condition. Thought of selling Accent and buying a gypsy, But can’t take out parents in it and dad does not drive these kind of vehicles.

Issue 3. We do not have parking to accommodate two 14 feet vehicles (yeah gypsy is 13.8 and accent is 14ft)

So this remained a dream.

After loooong negotiations, requests etc etc dad was like " iska kuch nahi hoga" and told OK to buy an off roader. He was skeptical about used vehicle as it might not be not reliable. And I’m in no mood to buy a new one and use it off road. So decided on used Gypsy.

Why Gypsy? Simple because I do not understand the Jeep. It requires a lot of knowledge to maintain. SO I’m happy off with gypsy.

Now comes the difficult part. Finding a gypsy. Honestly finding an off-roader is more difficult than off-roading. Trust me on this.

Been around 2 months since I started searching but not able to find any good condition gypsy.
I remember Venky (Red Liner) saying once when I was just thinking of buying one - macha start searching for gypsy, by the time you find one you will have all the money in your pocket. LOl true.

Fast forward.

After all searching thing came to an end, I decided to buy Swastik Vijis gypsy. He gave me 2 options Carb or MPFI. Man that was the day. I had the option to choose also. Chose MPFI initially and then settled to carb (have some future plans).

Fast forward again.

All set and done. Was supposed to take it home yesterday but Carb problem. This vehicle has WEBER carb and tuning it is something everyone cannot do. So viji told me to take it home in the same condition and show it to Harry who is supposed to be an expert in carb tuning.

I said OK and started rolling towards home unaware that this would be the trip of my life time.

Little rewind.

I told the garage people to service the vehicle and change all fluids as it is already in the garage. After the wash the problem started with idling. So the mech removed the filter and few other things and cleaned with petrol. After that the matter turned from bad to worse. The engine idling never comes down to 3-4000 RPM. So in neutral (in signals etc) it sounds as if it’s gonna explode.

Viji checked and told not to fiddle around with it and take it to harry as advised.
On the way back I could not drive it above 3rd gear as I had to control only with the break which lead to engine overheating.

I dint know that if the engine is run on 2nd and 3rd gear for 8-10 kms (30 minutes) the engine gets heated.
So had to take a small nap (read 40 minutes) in lal bagh (yeah that’s where the engine temp was in red).

Ya, forgot to mention about the sound (miss sound). Man that was one freaking sound that a vehicle can produce. Every time I down shift, there will a big explosion. I was like hiding my face in the signals or pretend that it was not from my vehicle.

Took close to 3 hours and somehow managed to come home and parked the vehicle. And in the end it goes "KABOOOM". I run inside as if I never heard it. I could hear some aunty's coming out and asking which transformer exploded now .

This is the end of my story of purchase. Will be going to get the carb tuned and then I’m good to take the vehicle with pride. Other than the carb tuning, the vehicle rocks. The exhaust notes is to die for. I'm in love with it.

Thanks to Viji and all my friends who helped me in getting one of my child hood dream.

Pictures, this is all I have now. Will upload as and when I click. And most of them have already seen the vehicle.

Bought A GYPSY KING-2.jpg

Bought A GYPSY KING-3.jpg

Bought A GYPSY KING-1.jpg

My handle makes some sense now

PS: Tomorrow is my birthday. Can there be a better present to gift oneself on a birthday?? Nah !!

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th August 2010 at 22:35. Reason: Please limit to 2 smilies per post. Thanks
Old 24th August 2010, 12:31   #2
BHPian

Congratulations on acquiring a Gypsy. True, your handle will make sense now

Happy B'day in advance
Old 24th August 2010, 12:32   #3
BHPian

Congratulation, Akaash on your purchase.

Hope you would be able to resolve all the issues soon and start enjoying the beast.

Wishing you a wonderful birthday and year ahead !!!

Cheers,
Old 24th August 2010, 12:33   #4
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations on your latest possession.And wishing your a very happy birthday in advance.

Cheers !
Otomobil
Old 24th August 2010, 12:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otomobil View Post
Hearty Congratulations on your latest possession.And wishing your a very happy birthday in advance.

Cheers !
Otomobil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Congratulation, Akaash on your purchase.

Hope you would be able to resolve all the issues soon and start enjoying the beast.

Wishing you a wonderful birthday and year ahead !!!

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Congratulations on acquiring a Gypsy. True, your handle will make sense now

Happy B'day in advance
Thanks guys . Yup living my dream .
And the issue will be resolved in a day or two.
Old 24th August 2010, 12:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Many Congratulations Akaash! Now, i see the reason why you were looking for new tyres
This was the Gypsy, which made me buy a Gypsy. I just love this Gypsy!
I and Sree experienced something similar to what you experienced on our way back from Kakkabe. In the end, we realized that it was a faulty accelerator spring.

Now, the biggest question to Viji and my initial reaction..
Holy Smoke.. What happened to CRAB???
Sirji/Akaash: Could you please explain?

Cheers,
Deepak
Old 24th August 2010, 12:46   #7
BHPian

Congrats!!
Viji restored that Gypsy for himself and not keeping further sales in mind so you have a really well restored and maintained gypsy!!

See you on trails soon and also you have a difficult choice in front of you - between your camera and Gypsy

Cheers
GB
Old 24th August 2010, 12:49   #8
BHPian

Congrats Akaash!!! Love this Gypsy, it was with me for couple of weeks and he Rocks!!!! As you told, exhaust note is to dye for!!! And DO NOT fiddle with that Carb!!!

--Sree--
Old 24th August 2010, 12:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
Congrats!!
Viji restored that Gypsy for himself and not keeping further sales in mind so you have a really well restored and maintained gypsy!!

See you on trails soon and also you have a difficult choice in front of you - between your camera and Gypsy

Cheers
GB
Lol yeah. So who ever can take good pictures can tag along. And this is a 5 seater. so 5 good photographers can hop in (I remember my days of hopping in )

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Many Congratulations Akaash! Now, i see the reason why you were looking for new tyres
This was the Gypsy, which made me buy a Gypsy. I just love this Gypsy!
I and Sree experienced something similar to what you experienced on our way back from Kakkabe. In the end, we realized that it was a faulty accelerator spring.

Now, the biggest question to Viji and my initial reaction..
Holy Smoke.. What happened to CRAB???
Sirji/Akaash: Could you please explain?

Cheers,
Deepak

he he yes, still in a look out for tyres and lot many things.
Isnt it beauutiful ? got front facing seats and lot of other goodies too .
Regarding CRAB, Viji will be the best person to answer as I did not understand the technical words he used.
Old 24th August 2010, 12:55   #10
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Akaash, too bad you didn't take up the Jeep challenge.

BTW, last time I saw this Gypsy, it was in SPOA avataar. What happened here?
Old 24th August 2010, 12:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sir. Neat Gypsy. Got it on time with the monsoon.

Hope to see you soon it in action in future OTRs.
Old 24th August 2010, 13:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Congrats Akaash!!! Love this Gypsy, it was with me for couple of weeks and he Rocks!!!! As you told, exhaust note is to dye for!!! And DO NOT fiddle with that Carb!!!

--Sree--
Thanks Sree, 1st time we spoke was in kakkabe OTR when you were driving this.
Yup im in love with the sound.
Carb has already been fiddled . So now have to get it tuned from a professional. Viji has given me some contacts for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Congrats Akaash, too bad you didn't take up the Jeep challenge.

BTW, last time I saw this Gypsy, it was in SPOA avataar. What happened here?
Thanks Sharath. Right now i do not have the confidence of owning a jeep.. May be Thar next , trouble free jeep.

And regarding SPOA, some calculation errors it seems. SO was rolled back to stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Congrats Sir. Neat Gypsy. Got it on time with the monsoon.

Hope to see you soon it in action in future OTRs.
Thanks mjothi. Ya 100 % attendance from now. have already missed a lot of OTRS this month. not anymore.
Old 24th August 2010, 13:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Now I know why you were searching for those tyres. Any luck as yet?
Old 24th August 2010, 13:23   #14
Team-BHP Support

Congratz Akash! Enjoy the drive and give it a once over at a dealer workshop and she will run like new. Its a good vehicle and has a great engine, only that weber is a tricky one, but learn fast to tune it yourself and you are set. And always keep the tank and petrol filter clean.
Old 24th August 2010, 13:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Now I know why you were searching for those tyres. Any luck as yet?
He He yes. Ive lost hopes of getting Big horns. and trepedors may be available from 2nd week of sep. But no confirmation on anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz Akash! Enjoy the drive and give it a once over at a dealer workshop and she will run like new. Its a good vehicle and has a great engine, only that weber is a tricky one, but learn fast to tune it yourself and you are set. And always keep the tank and petrol filter clean.
The vehicle was serviced, all fluids have been changed in Sanjay's. Not sure if there is anything else I'm supposed to look out for.
Me and viji went for a test drive yesterday, not a single sqeeking or rattling noise from the vehicle what so ever. Better than my friends swift when it comes to rattling

Regarding WEBER, ya I'm gonna join some training classes to tune it myself. Did not know it is so complicated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks