Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 00:54   #61
BHPian

Are you referring to Israr bhai?!
He is on the more expensive side, but his work was better than all the others I've seen so far, hence I suggested his name to you.

Any way, glad to know you're satisfied with your set up now!

And gypsy without bumper looks fab!
Mine doesn't have a bumper
Old 24th September 2010, 08:44   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
Are you referring to Israr bhai?!
No i was referring to someone else. I did not talk to Israr Bhai. Heard his work is good.

Quote:
And gypsy without bumper looks fab!
Mine doesn't have a bumper
Post a picture of it here dude! Instead of doing away with the bumper, i was thinking of chopping off from the sides a little bit like on khans gypsy.
Old 24th September 2010, 11:59   #63
BHPian

My Gypsy

Haan yes - here's a pic!

Now the full canopy is no longer there though.
Attached Thumbnails
Build Log: Converting the Gypsy into a mini-RV-elc-design1.jpg  

Old 24th September 2010, 14:04   #64
Senior - BHPian

Imran Macchi,

From where did you get this hood that opens from the sides, i wanted to get one of those but in a hurry i got the standard maruti one.

Does your hood leak during monsoons?

and Cougar,

Fab Job man.
Sorry for going OT.
Old 24th September 2010, 14:34   #65
BHPian

Rajesh Chandrasekhar!

Devang got it made from Ramesh at CST Kurla - but it was very bad quality - the seams all tore, and before i removed it completely, the hood was barely staying on the car! You can ask any hoodwala to make this for you - it was my requirement, so Ramesh made it like this.

2 things to remember - tell hoodwala to use nylon thread, and to do a double stitch.
Also tell him you want screws every where - no glue or bostik.

And make sure its TIGHTT. Else no show!
Old 29th September 2010, 13:42   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Haan yes - here's a pic!

Now the full canopy is no longer there though.

Hi Imran

Quick question - where did you get that front protection gear in place of the bumper?

Thanks
Old 29th September 2010, 13:51   #67
BHPian

Hey,
Its a locally fabricated bull bar - the previous owner gave me the option of this bullbar, or the stock bumper..

I think this beats a stock bumper, anyday.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:57   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Hi Imran

Quick question - where did you get that front protection gear in place of the bumper?

Thanks
Hey Ragul,
If you are talking about those horizontal white tubes where the bumper would have been, these tubes exist in all Gypsies. These are covered by the bumper.
When you remove the bumper, it would look this way.
But, if you are asking about the bull bar sort in Imran's Gypsy, i do not know. Maybe Imran or EXOs could throw some light
Cheers,
Deepak

PS: Here you go. Thanks Imran.

Last edited by starter : 29th September 2010 at 13:58.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:08   #69
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ragul,

A gypsy without the front bumper looks like this. Imran's setup is a custom made one.

and sorry for hijacking Cougars Thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Build Log: Converting the Gypsy into a mini-RV-dsc00834.jpg  

Old 8th October 2010, 10:11   #70
BHPian

Carputer Help

Been off on work shuttling between Bangalore, Mumbai and Pune juggling multiple projects so the whole nomad project was on hold.

Plan to start the Carputer build over next weeken and if that has to happen, then i need to source the parts now! would appreciate all help in scoping and planning this out.

Primary Use for Carputer: Basic ICE and GPS navigation. Secondary use: OBD based Diagnostics, receive phone calls via-BT etc.

Hardware
1. Motherboard/CPU: Vista 1G5 Mini-ITX

2. PSU: M3-ATX 125W

3. Primary Display : 1x Lilliput 7" 70GL with 2DIN frame . ALREADY SOURCED.

4. Secondary Display: Can come in later. 10/11" non-touchscreen roofmounted LCD for rear cabin. Separate drive from front LCD. Will i require a more advanced graphics card to drive the rear display independently?

5. OBD: OBDLink Multi-protocol.

6. GPS Receiver: BU-353.

Audio setup:
1. 2x JBL 6" component speakers in the front.
2. 2x JBL 4" 2way speakers in the rear.
3. 1x JBL 12" Sub-woofer. Suggest mounting location. Behind Driver seat or behind the rear bench seat?
4. 1 x 4ch JBL Amplifier GT5-S644. Mounted behind Navigator seat.

The audio setup is completed except for the #3 (Subwoofer). For the carputer, Only the 7" touchscreen has been sourced so far. I am planning to order the rest of the parts from the MP3car store later today.

Couple of questions:
1. Would appreciate advice on the most suitable motherboard+CPU combination considering the use.

2. Can i power the touchscreen LCD off the PSU itself? I would want to avoid splicing wires etc: is some kind of "harness" available so i can connect the PSU to the Carputer and the monitor without any ugly splicing of wires etc?

3. I DONT want the carputer to power on automatically with the ignition which is how all carputer installs i have seen seem to be wired. When in camper mode, with the ignition off, i may want to browse the net or watch a DVD on the rear LCD. Can i have a separate wire the on-off function to a separate push-toggle switch on the dash? Details please.

4. I want to use 6-channel drive off the PC to the amplifier. However, most MP3's and audio have 2 channel output? How will the PC convert this into a 6 channel drive? Will i need some kind of hardware/software to make this happen? Ideally I would like to go for a 4.1 kind of drive since i dont have or want a center speaker.

5. For GPS navigation, I plan to use the maps provided by SatGuide integrated with Centrafuse. Tested this out on the laptop last week (with a Bluetooth based device) and it worked smoothly. However I am told that a bluetooth based adapter causes problems like failure to connect etc. Though I havent faced it so far, I have decided to go ahead and order a pure USB based GPS recvr like the BU-353.

6.OBD based diagnostics: the most difficult to figure out so far. My ride is a Maruti Suzuki Gypsy and It does have an OBD-2 port located under the dash. Have tried connecting it to the Scangauge devices which failed to go past beyond the "Connecting..." message.

The obd2 port has active wires to pins 4,5, 7 and 16(See pic). So is it 9141-2 standard? Will the OBDLink Multi-protocol work with my Gypsy?

All help appreciated.

PS: Shifting to Bangalore for the next 5 months and plan to drive down on Sun/Mon to reach by Tue.
Attached Thumbnails
Build Log: Converting the Gypsy into a mini-RV-obd_02a.jpg  

Last edited by COUGAR : 8th October 2010 at 10:23.
Old 8th October 2010, 12:36   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
There was no heating up issues at regular travel. But idling for 2 mins or above resulted in a dramatic increase in temperatures. Need to find a fix for this.
The solution for this is to get a switch fitted inside the cabin that allows you to turn the condensor fan on/off regardless of compressor state. Sometimes when I am out on OTRs in the hot sun and not moving, the condensor reduces radiator performance enough to cause the needle to rise. In these situations I just flip on the condensor fan switch for 30 seconds and the temps come back down rapidly.

Remember - it has to be a 3 way switch. Even if your condensor fan switch inside cabin is off, the fan has to come on if the compressor comes on. Your AC guy should know how to wire this.

Too bad it didn't work out with Sripadh, he does brilliant work even if he takes time. My install took 5 days but in this time I was also getting other stuff done like:

1. Seats
2. Sun film
3. Stereo
4. Interior insulation

Most of the time went into fabricating the custom bracket for the 6v10.
Old 8th October 2010, 14:24   #72
Senior - BHPian

Hi Cougar,

You mentioned JBL 6" Speakers. Did you purchase them recently as i am hunting for a 6" speaker to be fitted in the footwell and am getting none. and where have you fitted the 4" ones, is it on the B Pillar. Please share pics if possible.

and GS, Welcome back
Old 8th October 2010, 17:35   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
The solution for this is to get a switch fitted inside the cabin that allows you to turn the condensor fan on/off regardless of compressor state.
The electric fan is currently wired to be ALWAYS on. Yet the heating problem has been observed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Too bad it didn't work out with Sripadh, he does brilliant work even if he takes time. My install took 5 days but in this time I was also getting other stuff done like:
the problem with Sripadh was that he went completely incommunicado for over a week after which he told me something about outsourcing part of the work to someone else. The problem was that I lost a week of the time i had set aside to the AC work and everything else on the list could happen only after the AC work was done. Anyways, all in the past now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hi Cougar,

You mentioned JBL 6" Speakers. Did you purchase them recently as i am hunting for a 6" speaker to be fitted in the footwell and am getting none. and where have you fitted the 4" ones, is it on the B Pillar. Please share pics if possible.
I bought the 6" components for the front 2 years back. In the rear, i earlier had 2x 6"x9" Sony XPlod speakers mounted in 2 large MDF boxes. Sound was awesome but the 2 boxes took up an awful amount of cabin space at the rear. So replaced them 2 months back with 2x JBL 4" speakers model GT5-S204 : i think 1500 a piece. The advantage of 4" speakers is that these could be mounted above the B-Pillar. Simple enough to do it yourself!

Decent sound quality overall though I think it sounded a little "tinny" as compared to before which was compensated somewhat by adding to the Bass Boost settings on the JVC HU. But the main advantage is that the rear platform is now completely free of obstructions.

Attached see pic showing current setup.

I am CONSIDERING getting 2 small MDF boxes and shelf made which will be roof mounted with forward facing speakers bolted on. This will allow for a boom box effect without cutting into floor space and also provide a mount for the vent fans.
Attached Thumbnails
Build Log: Converting the Gypsy into a mini-RV-image0116.jpg  

Last edited by COUGAR : 8th October 2010 at 17:43.
COUGAR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2010, 18:00   #74
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the Pic, even Deepak has placed the speakers in that place but facing front. Mine is a soft top hence dont have any space at the top. I am unable to source 6" speakers to be fitted in the footwell.

Have you got front facing seats that you were looking for?
Old 8th October 2010, 18:30   #75
BHPian

for the front facing seats, i will be getting it custom made. Will be doing that in Bangalore. Hope to have an update on the 19th.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks