Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 13:44   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
It is well on the way to being as close to original as possible.

Saif do let me know if you need and advice or have any queries about what goes where and why. I should be able to help on this.

Oh that quick release tensioner on the charging dynamo is a case in point. Hardly anyoen knows that it is there to make it possible to easily take off the fan belt so that you can stop the fan from running specifically when you are doing something like crossing a stream.

Hope you have found the right shovel and axe to hook up on the side

Oh and did you get the hand brake operational......that is a rather interesting situation on these old Jeeps
Wasif bhai, please feel free to tell me if you see something missing or not correct.

A couple of the crucial things that I am on the look out for are, An Autolite regulator (cut out), starter, distributor. Also need a fire extinguisher bracket.

I have good copies of the axe and spade. Waiting for the jerry can to arrive so i can paint them together before i put them on.

The dynamo is indeed a unique find considering most change it for an alternator. Mine came with the jeep.

unfortunately my jeep is missing the drum so the brake is not operational...
Old 14th September 2010, 14:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

You know Saif...the more you work on it the harder it will be to drive it around and park unattended. People will steal or damage stuff on it if you leave it parked out of sight.

One thing i noticed is that you need to re route the fuel lines to the filter and run thme behind the air filter body.

Why is the air filter pipe not connected to the shroud on the carb.

How does it drive ? Did you compare the amazing difference in power from driving it on a Solex carb and then the Carter ! Its not funny how much power is lot in the interest of economy when you use a solex.

I have all the stuff you would need like the fire extinguisher + bracket, the radio supressor box, etc. All this stuff and more is lying with a friend in Hyd who I have not been able to contact for a whle now.

On these days I will have to go down to Hyd to sort this out and also get my Jag sorted.

It is much easier to restore any other vintage car compared to the Jeeps as these jeeps came with such a load of small stuff on them that is very hard to find now. I een had an old army field telephone which I wanted to mount on my Jeep

Last edited by wasif : 14th September 2010 at 14:51.
Old 15th September 2010, 16:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Why is the air filter pipe not connected to the shroud on the carb.
The pipe is supported by a plate that is screwed on to the head. Since the jeep was on a solex before, the plate had been made smaller to lower the pipe to fit the shroud. With the carter going back on the plate needs to be redone.

Quote:
How does it drive ? Did you compare the amazing difference in power from driving it on a Solex carb and then the Carter ! Its not funny how much power is lot in the interest of economy when you use a solex.
I drove the jeep around with the solex in the morning and again in the afternoon once i put the carter on and could feel the difference immediately. It almost felt like I had a more powerful engine under the hood.

For everyone with a 'go devil' engine, find a carter and throw the solex in a bin. You will love your jeep more for sure..

Quote:
I have all the stuff you would need like the fire extinguisher + bracket, the radio supressor box, etc. All this stuff and more is lying with a friend in Hyd who I have not been able to contact for a whle now.
I hope that's an offer you're making. I would be more than happy to contact your friend and free him of his burden
Old 15th September 2010, 17:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Yes Saif that is an offer and I will send you his contact details once I get them as he iscurrently living in Iran and his house is all locked up in Hyd.

That pipe actually doesn't look like it is OE, cant see it vey well though. The original would have a round hole on the bracket thru which the spark plug capes are ment to pass.

Last edited by wasif : 15th September 2010 at 17:17.
Old 15th September 2010, 17:36   #20
BANNED

Hi Attari Thats a well maintained Willy's

BTW what is that MB stand for ,i ve not heard of it
Old 15th September 2010, 17:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post

Willys MB, Better known as Jeep was manufactured by Willys-Overland motors during the ww2, beginning from 1941.A total of 6.5 Lakhs of them were manufactured. The civilian versions were known as CJ.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 15th September 2010 at 17:45. Reason: Edit
Old 15th September 2010, 18:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post

Joshguy

Silver wood has answered it partially. If you want a clearer explanation get ready for a long read.

Given below are excerpts from a post in the Wikipedia

Willys MB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
As the WW II got in to full swing in Europe, the Army's need for a General Purpose Vehicle was urgent and demanding. Manufacturers were given 49 days to submit their first prototype and 75 days for completion of 70 test vehicles.

Only three companies entered: American Bantam Car Company, Ford Motor Company and Willys-Overland Motors.

Bantam was the first. They built their first prototype, dubbed the "Blitz Buggy" (and in retrospect "Old Number One"), and delivered it to the Army vehicle test center

Ford and Willys each submitted prototypes to compete with the Bantam in the Army's trials. The pilot models, the Willys Quad and the Ford Pygmy, turned out very similar to each other and were joined in testing by Bantam's entry, now evolved into a Mark II called the BRC 60.

These respective pre-production runs, each vehicle received revisions and a new name. Bantam's became the BRC 40, and the company ceased motor vehicle production after the last one was built in December 1941. Willys' changed the designation to "MA" for "Military" model "A". The Fords went into production as "GP"

The War Department desired to standardize and decided to select a single manufacturer to supply them with the next order for another 16,000 vehicles.

Willys won the contract mostly due to its more powerful engine (the "Go Devil") which soldiers raved about, and its lower cost and silhouette.

Whatever better design features the Bantam and Ford entries had were then incorporated into the Willys car, moving it from an "A" designation to "B", thus the "MB" nomenclature.

Unquote

Imagine getting a prototype in just 49 days. Even with all the technology available these days we take something like 49 months (case point being Nano and the 4x4 closer home in TBHP Treads) to get something out

Those were the days of free will and free spirits and "the can do" attitude !

A sincere salute to those days which has built our present.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 15th September 2010 at 18:16.
Old 15th September 2010, 18:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
That pipe actually doesn't look like it is OE, cant see it vey well though. The original would have a round hole on the bracket thru which the spark plug capes are ment to pass.
The pipe and bracket seem to be original wasif bhai. Unfortunately the plate would have been cut and re welded when the solex was fit. attaching a picture which will give you a clearer view... (picture taken during restoration)
Attached Thumbnails
1943 Willys MB 204251-45-200610.jpg  

Old 15th September 2010, 18:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Those were the days of free will and free spirits and "the can do" attitude !

A sincere salute to those days which has built our present.
Very very well said Nair Saab. The product life cycle nowadays have bureaucracy, Red tapism built into it.

At that period of time Engineers/Workmen made the products, now the product is dictated by people having white collar jobs, wearing Ties and sitting in Air conditioned office rooms

Spike
Old 15th September 2010, 21:59   #25
BHPian

Willys MB

Welcome aboard Attari, nice to have one more Jeep enthusiast !
Good job done!!
I'm an avid Jeep enthusiast too. See my GPW in " My Garage"
Old 16th September 2010, 11:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Welcome aboard Attari, nice to have one more Jeep enthusiast !
Good job done!!
I'm an avid Jeep enthusiast too. See my GPW in " My Garage"
Hi Dussey, you have a really nice GPW. I remember looking at the pictures on jeepthrills as well...

if I am not mistake yours is a script jeep... would love to know more about how and where you found it and also it would be great if you could share the serial number...
Old 16th September 2010, 21:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
Hi Dussey, you have a really nice GPW. I remember looking at the pictures on jeepthrills as well...

if I am not mistake yours is a script jeep... would love to know more about how and where you found it and also it would be great if you could share the serial number...
Yes, you are right, its a "Script " & you would have certainly seen it in Jeep Thrills ( I am one of the co-founders).
The Serial No is 27773 and from research done, it seems from the Chester, Pennsylvania , Ford Assembly Plant and the DOD (Date of Delivery ), should be around May 13,14 or 15, 1942. The Quarter Master (QM) contract No is:
W-398-QM-11424 of Jan 1942.
This GPW was also from Bhopal, used to belong to a Nawab who used it perhaps for hunting ! Has been with me for a decade.
I also have a Bantam T-3 Trailer Sr No 23981, DOD Aug 30, 1943.
Old 25th November 2010, 16:45   #28

Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
nearly a year later, here are the 'After' pictures taken a few days ago......
Hey buddy,

May be you woul like this link:

Willys jeep of World War 2 - Military Vehicles and Army jeeps for sale

Check out. Good work by the way!!

Cheers,

Vikas
Old 30th November 2010, 11:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremerace View Post
Hey buddy,

May be you woul like this link:

Willys jeep of World War 2 - Military Vehicles and Army jeeps for sale

Check out. Good work by the way!!

Cheers,

Vikas
Hi Vikas,

if you're a jeep enthusiast and seeking some serious information, would recommend G503.com is Military Vehicles, The WWII Military Jeep, Parts, Olive Drab and All Related Things. instead..

willys-mb.co.uk is only good for classifieds and a few parts sources. got my split rims thanks to this one...

rgds
saif
Old 15th December 2010, 15:55   #30
BHPian

Re: 1943 Willys MB 204251

I am sure every jeep enthusiast will agree that restoring a WW2 is a continuous process. Usually one starts by first putting together a jeep moving on to accessorizing and then tools and then manuals etc.. just when you think the jeep is nearing completion you decide, everything you bought needs to be replaced with the all elusive NOS or takeout parts....

At this point in time I am somewhere in between all this and here is an update from me....

1. 'Circle N' stamped ORD & US marked tire pump
2. SOS Fire Gaurd fire extinguisher
3. NOS Spark plug rain shields
4. MB chassis plate with drive through rivets. (courtesy C:\TEMP\prices.htm)
5. Wheeling manufactured Jerry can (dated May - 1942)

saif

PS: also got a MB type ignition switch replacing the key operated switch I had earlier. As per research the change from 'key' operated to a 'lever' operated ignition switch happened in early January 43. (10th or 15th January if i remember correctly). you can just about catch a glimpse of it in the fire extinguisher picture....
Attached Thumbnails
1943 Willys MB 204251-70-110910.jpg  

1943 Willys MB 204251-img_0385.jpg  

1943 Willys MB 204251-img_03888.jpg  

1943 Willys MB 204251-img_0408.jpg  

1943 Willys MB 204251-img_0590.jpg  

Attari is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks