Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 09:29   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

Singh saab, THAR is expected to be around 7lakhs, so you can very well afford it. it will be coming with AC and power steering.

or else..wait for Jimny, its also round the corner!
If that is true, my search ends here. Any idea when it will be in market ?

Jimny around corner has put everybody in circles...
Old 17th September 2010, 10:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Singh saab, THAR is expected to be around 7lakhs, so you can very well afford it. it will be coming with AC and power steering.

or else..wait for Jimny, its also round the corner!

There are strong rumors that M&M, in particular, and other auto companies will be marketing new 4x4 models in the next year. The Thar is just one coming soon, there will be others. The basic model Thar should be a little under 7 lakh tax, title and air freshener but there are also rumors of other jeeps soon to come for under 6 lakh.

If you look at the several threads and posts written by T-bhp members, you will see that most have had bad experiences in dealing with Dabwali and Moga shops. This includes me. One fellow you may want to write a personal message to for good info on Mayapuri is Hargeev. He knows Mayapuri and he knows how to restore jeeps via Delhi shops and contacts. You may want to look at threads on this site written by Hargeev for some good background info.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 17th September 2010 at 10:55.
Old 17th September 2010, 11:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

OOPS! That is Harjeev, not Hargeev
Old 17th September 2010, 12:03   #19
BHPian

[quote=DirtyDan;2072670]There are strong rumors that M&M, in particular, and other auto companies will be marketing new 4x4 models in the next year. The Thar is just one coming soon, there will be others. The basic model Thar should be a little under 7 lakh tax, title and air freshener but there are also rumors of other jeeps soon to come for under 6 lakh.

Dirtydan,i read somewhere that M&M is developing new mHawk engines for smaller SUVs and the new skoriean JV also make M&M stronger in this segment.
@Parm,there is no confirmation on Thar with Aircon.!And Jimni around the corner is that true?
Raj
Old 17th September 2010, 15:55   #20
BHPian

Thanks to all for valuable info

But

Is it not advisable to wait and watch for a particular new entrant to be time tested, especially 4WD under serious Off-Road conditions ?

Secondly, can we afford to just wait for more and more models to be launched ?
Old 17th September 2010, 19:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Thanks to all for valuable info

But

Is it not advisable to wait and watch for a particular new entrant to be time tested, especially 4WD under serious Off-Road conditions ?

Secondly, can we afford to just wait for more and more models to be launched ?
The Thar is already marketed outside India hence it is tested. It is now awaiting OK by Indian governmental bureaucrats before release to the Indian market and is expected anytime now. It is a marriage of pre-existing parts found in other Mahindra vehicles so it should not have the "birth defects" other vehicles suffer thru. Other rumored releases by Mahindra in the 4x4 sector are similarly based on the existing parts bin. The Thar is not a rumor. It is going to happen. The timetable on any of this? Inquiring minds have been asking that question. I wish I knew.

Building out a jeep from an army cast off is also risky, but much, much cheaper.
Old 19th September 2010, 10:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hey Amrik,
Now that the jeep bug has bit you best of luck nursing it for the rest of your life.

On a serious note, I my advise is the same as everyone else's, Wait for the Thar, even if you do not want to buy a new vehicle still wait for the Thar.
A new vehicle right off the assembly line cannot ever be compared to a battered down 10year old ex-army vehicle. They are and will always be generations apart. Also as you have said earlier that you do not have the luxury of time (read: to spend at the workshop) they you would be much better off with either a new vehicle or a pre-restored one.
A jeep restoration is not as simple as it appears and its not just the money that counts. The countless day spent at the workshop and then the countless sleepless nights spent dreaming about the wish list that one would want to do on their vehicle is all part and parcel of the package. This all is taking into account that you know what you are doing and what work you wanna get done.
Not to mention in the 1st restoration some how or the other, one always gets taken for a ride. I am not saying that all will be but most of the newbies do. Atleast I was!!!

So wait it out, meet and talk with the other jeepers of NCR, read, read & again read the various threads on Teambhp, I am sure everyone will be very glad to help you, list out your priorities both time wise and money wise, and then take the plunge.

BTW I too am from Central-West Delhi (Patel Nagar) and generally visit Mayapuri once in 2-3 weeks. If you wanna come, just send me a PM and we can definitely arrange a meeting. Also try coming for one of NIOC OTR's. If you see these jeeps performing in reality you would be able to take a much more informed decision.
Cheers Mate and best of luck
Old 19th September 2010, 11:22   #23
BHPian

Thanks again to all for valuable information.
Yes Harjeev, I have decided to wait for Thar. In the meantime, I will pick up any old battered 4WD to get my hands on Indian road conditions and type of Off-Roading here which certainly is different from UAE desert with powerful petrol guzzlers.

Regards

Amrik Singh
Old 22nd September 2010, 00:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Thanks again to all for valuable information.
Yes Harjeev, I have decided to wait for Thar. In the meantime, I will pick up any old battered 4WD to get my hands on Indian road conditions and type of Off-Roading here which certainly is different from UAE desert with powerful petrol guzzlers.

Regards

Amrik Singh
Amrik Saab, you are most welcome to ask for anykind for advice from all of us.

wish you best of luck to get your hands on a battered 4WD to get used to the India road conditions.

do get in touch with Harjeev, and do try out few OTRs and get use to the diesel guzzlers!

i would suggest that you buy a 4WD from a fellow tbhp member who is selling a vehicle rather than trying your luck in mayapuri. im sure harjeev can help you in that too.

PaRm

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks