Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2010, 11:59   #1
BHPian

Market for Modified Jeeps

Hi Friends

Could anybody suggest which is better market for modified Army Jeeps in North India ?
- Dabwali, Moga or Mayapuri, Delhi ?

Better in Quality and Price.

Any refrences of the dealers would be more than welcome.

Regards

Amrik Singh
Old 16th September 2010, 12:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

You want a bling Jeep or a Mechanically sound functional/Actual Jeep?

Spike
Old 16th September 2010, 12:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

They are all rubbish. Poor mechanical work and shoddy paint jobs. Plenty of threads on them here so you can read about the type of shoddy workmanship they do.
Old 16th September 2010, 12:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Mr Singh before going for a modded jeep you need ask yourself if you want a stylish jeep or a fully functional jeep, for example a stylish jeep would be just 2 wheel drive with alloys and mettalic paint with all those flamboyant fittings. A fully functional jeep would be a real fun yet can be stylish. I would suggest rather going for a ready made jeep which may not be of your kind you can get it done yourself by taking a normal jeep and it will be relatively cheaper or better ones than the ready made jeeps.

Make a wish list yourself if you want a petrol or a diesel jeep, you can get a civilian jeep or an army disposal and you can start off your project. There are jeep gurus in here (Team BHP) who are always there to guide you with the best of their knowledge and experiences. So all the very best of good luck.
Old 16th September 2010, 12:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Hi Friends

Could anybody suggest which is better market for modified Army Jeeps in North India ?

Regards

Amrik Singh
Amrik Saab the question is what kind of jeep you want to buy?

you want a 'gedi' 2WD bling bling jeep for tashan and impress upon girls or want a 4WD functional jeep for Offroad activity?

none of the above markets you mentioned modify fully functional 4WD vehicles, all they offer is Bling Bling 2WD jeeps. they sell crap which falls off the moment you take out the jeep from their workshops!

for a proper 4WD functional jeep, you need to go to Hyderabad!

please use the 'search' function on tbhp and look for jeeps in hyderabad.
Old 16th September 2010, 13:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

you want a 'gedi' 2WD bling bling jeep for tashan and impress upon girls or want a 4WD functional jeep for Offroad activity?

none of the above markets you mentioned modify fully functional 4WD vehicles, all they offer is Bling Bling 2WD jeeps. they sell crap which falls off the moment you take out the jeep from their workshops!

Sorry for adding the most important requirements.

I need 4WD for regular use. So a perfect working Car. Being offroader, I need a sturdy beast.

At 56, Tashan is out of question (LOL).

In the name of Family, just me and wife (Kids studying away), just Two Seats are enough. Being from Janakpuri Delhi (very close to Mayapuri) and with roots in Punjab, prefer market in North India only.

Regards

Amrik Singh
Old 16th September 2010, 16:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends

Regards

Amrik Singh
You can add Pathenkot to your list. There are 4 separate issues (at least).

1.) Finding a jeep.
2.) Getting proper papers for it.
3.) Getting it renovated mechanically and painting-denting.
4.) The availability of spare parts near you.

It may, or may not be to your advantage to get all 4 at one place...you will have to figure that out. Before you buy I would search out a good mech shop that is near you that you can trust to do the work and I would look into spares. This alone could dissuade you from buying/restoring a jeep.

Also, there will be new models on the market before long. You may want to consider saving your rupees and waiting for a good dependable new vehicle.

You might also keep a close eye on the classified section of this site. Sometimes there are some good vehicles there.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 16th September 2010 at 16:56.
Old 16th September 2010, 18:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Parm, I disagree with the statement you made above on so many different levels. Punjab is a wonderland for jeeps of all kinds. In fact there are multiple jeeps owned by members of this forum that are fully functional 4WD excellent off roaders and have been built in punjab e.g. I think testdrive got his jeep from Moga. Hyderabad might be good for jeeps but not the only place on earth to get a good 4WD jeeps.

Amrik the question i would ask you is, do you want to be involved in the build or not? if you want to be a part of the build does not matter where you are. find a good mech shop and get on with it. If you don't want to be involved then find a reliable shop which will do a quality job e.g. jassy1313 got this done from Toto at Pune or Alan's workshop for that matter. I am sure you could find something locally also.
Old 16th September 2010, 20:26   #9
BHPian

Returning from Gulf after 14 Years, and joining MNC at senior position, I may not have the time and liberty to get involved in Build / Project.

I do not know any reliable Mechanic specializing in this type of work.

Being very close to Mayapuri, I think Mechanics and Spares should be no issue.

Request for recommendations of reliable mechanic.

Regards

Amrik Singh
Old 16th September 2010, 21:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Returning from Gulf after 14 Years, and joining MNC at senior position, I may not have the time and liberty to get involved in Build / Project.

I do not know any reliable Mechanic specializing in this type of work.

Being very close to Mayapuri, I think Mechanics and Spares should be no issue.

Request for recommendations of reliable mechanic.

Regards

Amrik Singh
Amrik saab, after reading your reply, i would suggest you to wait for THAR. it could be used as a daily drive and an OTR vehicle.

that would be the best choice considering you dont want to involve yourself too much with frequent visits to the garage with a leaking diff or broken axle.
Old 16th September 2010, 22:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
none of the above markets you mentioned modify fully functional 4WD vehicles, all they offer is Bling Bling 2WD jeeps.
Well i do not know about rest of them, but talking about Dabwali they do not have 4wd basic Jeeps without bling just because the market for such Jeeps is non existent there. Also it does not mean they cannot restore a proper Jeep, you cannot get a ready made 4wd Jeep of a taste we have here but it can be done on order.

I know all this because Dabwali is my native place and we have our Farms there. Masses in that region of Haryana and almost all of the Punjab do not want a simple original spec 4wd Jeep. Almost all the places that even the rural buyers want to go can be accessed in a 2wd. Almost every Agricultural household there has a spare Jeep at home to take care of daily work. Those who require a proper 4wd get it custom made according to their taste.

Obviously the Jeeps on display have best possible cost cutting. The outsiders are quoted unrealistic prices.
Old 16th September 2010, 22:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I may not have the time and liberty to get involved in Build / Project.
Sir, the above statement is like the exact opposite of what a jeep is all about.
Its not only the build and all but the regular maintenance. I have no first hand experience in jeeps and stuff but after reading all the threads about jeeps, understand that a 4wd fully functional jeep needs to be taken care of and needs a lot of time and money invested.
And you may find every little thing in Mayapuri, but finding it and making sure that the mechanics do the job correctly will again require some running after people day and night.
So your best bets are to wait for the Thar/ Buy a 4wd SUV (Scorpio.Safari) or Gypsy/ search the team-bhp classifieds or contact someone in the business like xtreme_power to make you a jeep with all his passion so that it serves you well and is more reliable that the Mayapuri crap.
Old 16th September 2010, 23:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest you to wait for THAR. it could be used as a daily drive and an OTR vehicle.
Suggestion well taken. As indicated elsewhere in the forum, THAR is expected to be around 100K. I do not think I would be able to drive such costly car with free mind. And driving double minded with enjoyment & thrill versus the damage to Car and its costs, is not advisable. However I can wait for THAR if the price tag is known.

I do not mind a cheaper Car which I can write off after few years and continue the cycle.

Regards

Amrik Singh
Old 17th September 2010, 00:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suggestion well taken. As indicated elsewhere in the forum, THAR is expected to be around 100K. I do not think I would be able to drive such costly car with free mind. And driving double minded with enjoyment & thrill versus the damage to Car and its costs, is not advisable. However I can wait for THAR if the price tag is known.

I do not mind a cheaper Car which I can write off after few years and continue the cycle.

Regards

Amrik Singh
Singh saab, THAR is expected to be around 7lakhs, so you can very well afford it. it will be coming with AC and power steering.

or else..wait for Jimny, its also round the corner!
Old 17th September 2010, 00:19   #15
BHPian

hi amrik
its better to stay away from any mayapuri like place, to buy a jeep or even to get it maintained there.
i could be of help to u in suggesting some jeeps in good condition if u are interested. but before u go about looking for one u need to decide on the basic issue that u want a diesel or petrol and pre determine ur budget. just some suggestions after having burnt my fingers in many ways before getting it right now.
sharat

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks