Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 07:28   #1
BANNED

Building My Gypsy

Most of us here would be aware of my project that i have been working on. It has been in conception since more than 6 months, today i have taken the most important and vital step towards it.

A little about me -

I am Paras Mann, i stay in NOIDA. My father was a colonel in the ordinance and had serve in all major depots across north India. i was always fascinated by the tanks, bofors, tatras, kolos and scanias. My first set of wheels was a hero ranger, then a concorde. Eventually i inherited by sister's kinetic honda. here is when the interest developed. at the same time, there were other vehicles in my family such as sierra and estate that caught my attention. My kinetic was never sent to the service center, all serviced by me. it was a long story then, moved to a pulsar, a second hand zen, the accent and Indica. what next?

A little about my project -

My aim is to build a rally preped vehicle. i would like to thank team bhp for all its support. Sudev, Abhey, Aman, renegade, kandisa, gotzuk, jeep captain, abheekg, khan sultan, Harsh, Samarth (i may be forgetting some names, the excitement is too much) and most importantly some one i have admired since my kinetic honda days, Raj Kapoor.

The Journey -

I wanted to get the gypsy alloted in my father's name. But, they don't do it anymore. Army HQ told us, why don't you take a Jonga instead, i refused as it didn't solve my purpose. Here is when a close family friend who is a Station Commander helped. We were asked to pick up the car from Bhatinda through a dealer. but, the auction was canceled. Another auction had just taken place in Patiala and i was asked to wait for the vehicles to come out. 45 days of endless wait, even the dealer started ignoring us. My mother was a very active participant and was incharge of all the communication. Finally yesterday we drove down 300kms + to Mansa, Punjab to pick up the Gypsy. Vehicle arrived today morning at 4:30. here are some teaser pics of my journey. more to follow
Attached Thumbnails
Building My Gypsy-19092010057.jpg  

Building My Gypsy-19092010060.jpg  

Building My Gypsy-19092010061.jpg  

Building My Gypsy-19092010062.jpg  

Building My Gypsy-19092010063.jpg  

Building My Gypsy-19092010065.jpg  

Building My Gypsy-19092010066.jpg  

Building My Gypsy-19092010073.jpg  

Old 20th September 2010, 10:08   #2
BHPian

Congrats!!!
and welcome to the 4X4 club!!
The gypsy has the unique distinction of being a very able offroader and a formidable rally vehicle. Hope you use it for both!!
Old 20th September 2010, 10:11   #3
BHPian

Hi saintsinner,

Nice to see your Gypsy King. It’s good.

At what price you picked it up for?

Break booster should be on your priority list.

Regards,
Krishna Thanthri
Old 20th September 2010, 11:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for finally picking up the base vehicle for your project. This indeed was the most difficult stage i guess. Looking forwards towards hearing your experiences in detail. Happy gypsying...
Old 20th September 2010, 11:06   #5
BHPian

Thats a great looking Gypsy, What are the modds you are planning? Also upload more pictures of the garrage as there many spares are rare what I saw in your pictures. The engines... Are they of Sakthiman?

And a M800. any Idea of the model and price?
Old 20th September 2010, 11:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
Most of us here would be aware of my project that i have been working on. It has been in conception since more than 6 months, today i have taken the most important and vital step towards it.
I am Paras Mann, i stay in NOIDA.
My aim is to build a rally preped vehicle. i would like to thank team bhp for all its support. Sudev, Abhey, Aman, renegade, kandisa, gotzuk, jeep captain, abheekg, khan sultan, Harsh, Samarth (i may be forgetting some names, the excitement is too much) and most importantly some one i have admired since my kinetic honda days, Raj Kapoor.
Dear Paras, Hearty congrats on your Gypsy and welcome to the club.
Since you have been on a learning track about how to rebuild a Gypsy for more than a year, I am sure you dont need much of assistance. Plus you are at the right place, Noida and you are in the right company, team-bhp
With all those friends you mentioned, I am sure your rebuild will be a cake walk.

Your Gypsy seems to be in very good condition. Thanks for sharing it with me yesterday. I think probably I was the first one to see it before anyone else.

You change all the rubber and plastic parts,fill up the tank and I think you are good to go.Let me know if you need any help in your project. More than happy to assist.

My suggestion, just restore it to running condition first, get the registration sorted out. Drive around for few months or weeks and then start the rally preparation or build.
Cheers
Shibu
Old 20th September 2010, 12:25   #7
BHPian

Congrats Paras, all the best with your rebuild. Provide us with frequent updates it is always a pleasure to see gypsy getting rebuilded.
Old 20th September 2010, 13:15   #8
BHPian

Paras nice gypsy , bodyline looks clean .

Can we have some underbody pics.

What is the price you picked up for ? Congrats.

That place seems to have all kind of used parts from jeeps to trucks .

IT would be fun to search for parts there .

Last edited by karizma9292 : 20th September 2010 at 13:19.
Old 20th September 2010, 14:47   #9
BHPian

Congratulations, Paras on the acquisition.

And good luck in doing it up to your liking.

Looking at your signature, by any chance, are you contemplating a baleno engine?

Cheers
Old 20th September 2010, 17:31   #10
BANNED

Thanks guys, i have picked up the one with the red/maroonish seats. it's a 2000 model. i picked it up for 95K, including towing to noida, thats about 360kms. the registration work is done, will get the papers in a while, paid another 12K for that. the gypsy also has a tow hook at the back. regarding what engine goes into this.. i am looking at both options, the baleno or the gypsy king engine.
Old 20th September 2010, 18:34   #11
BHPian

Paras - Congrats on your purchase. Your vehicle looks neat and the cost seems to be reasonable. This is going to be a interesting project. Keep us posted and I am sure the time and money you are going to spend on this will yield good results.
Old 20th September 2010, 19:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Paras. Offroader count is increasing day by day. Will be watching this thread for re-build
Old 20th September 2010, 19:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
Thanks guys, i have picked up the one with the red/maroonish seats. it's a 2000 model. i picked it up for 95K, including towing to noida, thats about 360kms. the registration work is done, will get the papers in a while, paid another 12K for that. the gypsy also has a tow hook at the back. regarding what engine goes into this.. i am looking at both options, the baleno or the gypsy king engine.
If you can get a Gypsy King engine and gearbox go for it as first choice. Else, baleno 1.6 ltr engine mated to king gearbox would be perfect offroader and onroader.
Old 21st September 2010, 09:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
If you can get a Gypsy King engine and gearbox go for it as first choice. Else, baleno 1.6 ltr engine mated to king gearbox would be perfect offroader and onroader.

With a 1.3, you will have an economical (in terms of spare parts cost) and reliable (time tested) engine.
You will have to source out a King GB if you want to go in for a Baleno conversion, as you have a 4 speed GB.

Cheers
GB
Old 21st September 2010, 11:20   #15
BANNED

this is a gypsy king so it has the 5 speed GB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks