Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 21:42   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B

He was planning a 2-3 days trip that is all, he usually does that once in a month to goto native. And let me again remind you, if you are getting things done from him keep ample buffer to timelines and add tons of patience to yourself.
Old 7th April 2011, 22:25   #152
Senior - BHPian

Never shown any impatience explicitly to him. I know he wouldn't like to be hassled on his work and I have not ever pushed him.

Secondly can you please tell me what is usually done to run in the engine after a rebuild?
Old 7th April 2011, 22:31   #153
Team-BHP Support

If the bore is too tight, which will be the case with indian rebuilds, first you will have to do a standing heat cycle run. Ensure cooling is maintained, arrange for some table fan if required. Also do it in cycles, do a google and you will get info.

Then the actual running in, slow but real steady loading of engine over couple of hundreds of kilometers with a good check on temp gauge and you are all set.
Old 8th April 2011, 13:34   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Never shown any impatience explicitly to him. I know he wouldn't like to be hassled on his work and I have not ever pushed him.

Secondly can you please tell me what is usually done to run in the engine after a rebuild?

Hi Shubz,

For the Running in procedure.

1) Fit the engine & Cooling System

2) Start the engine and accelerate to 12-1500RPM

3) Let it Run at this RPM for 10-15 mins (Vehicle Stationery)

4) Drive the vehicle on road, without lugging the gears, and accelerate in bursts.

Regards,

Arka
Attached Thumbnails
I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-run01.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-run02.jpg  

Old 8th April 2011, 18:09   #155
Senior - BHPian

Dear Arka,

I am really glad that you posted on my thread! Thank you for the valuable input. I did talk to Gopal today about running in of the engine and this is exactly what he said! So I guess we are in sync. Could you please post the next page (pg 38) as pg 37 ends midway in a sentence.

Thanks a bunch!
Regards
Shub
Old 8th April 2011, 19:18   #156
Senior - BHPian

Mods - please feel free to merge both my posts. I am attaching the latest update on the engine. Thanks.

Pistons/Crankshafts are up. Gopal wasn't happy with his valve grinding exercise so he has sent it for grinding and must have got it back by now.
Attached Thumbnails
I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20110408_001.jpg  

Old 8th April 2011, 20:42   #157
Senior - BHPian

@Shubz, when you say Valve seating / grinding done, if possible also share what "exactly" has been done, what are the things to be taken care off etc. That would create a good knowledge base and would help you / others for future references. Make this a habit to document whenever you see or learn a new thing for e.g. tightening sequence of cylinder head and so on. We will also chip in.

Spike
Old 8th April 2011, 21:12   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Shubz, when you say Valve seating / grinding done, if possible also share what "exactly" has been done, what are the things to be taken care off etc. That would create a good knowledge base and would help you / others for future references. Make this a habit to document whenever you see or learn a new thing for e.g. tightening sequence of cylinder head and so on. We will also chip in.

Spike
Sure Spikey.

If you see the earlier pic, you can see Gopal churning the valves. He was using valve grinding compound (first the coarse one, then the fine one) and churning gently/wiping it clean/churning again - checking if the seating is proper. He did that with the 4 valves (longer ones - if they are called valves) Anyways he was not happy with the effort so sent it to be done on a lathe.

Regarding pistons - I guess he followed the sequence of 1-4-2-3 or 1-4-3-2.

The bearings were hand tightened at first and then tightened using a torque wrench - he set the torque to a certain value - i did not go close to him else would've hindered in his work and tightened it till there were clicks.

That's the update until 2:15 pm earlier today. Please do pitch with all your valuable inputs. This is a great learning!

Thank you all.
Old 8th April 2011, 22:30   #159
Team-BHP Support

Is the cylinder head bolt sequence inside first and then outside? or viceversa?
Old 8th April 2011, 23:16   #160
Senior - BHPian

From what I can recall, it was inside first. I could be wrong. Experts advise please!
Old 11th April 2011, 20:26   #161
Senior - BHPian

Mondays update - Engines is all assembled. Was working on aligning the alternator. The transmission sump, engine head cover etc have been painted.

The springs - I took this pic as the earlier assembly was flawed with one spring assembled upside down.

Running in planned - most probably on tuesday. The engine would be run on idle for about 30 liters of petrol (their terminology - Engine cooling) and then on road for probably a 1000 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20110411_001.jpg  

Old 11th April 2011, 22:48   #162
Team-BHP Support

Super! love the way the the newly painted engine is looking. See i told you, the rebore's are pretty tight that need lot of standing running in. Our Honda rebuilt by dealership needed it! Though i hated the idea.

Ensure cooling is good, arrange for few table fans if need be for the standing running in and good load of coolant in radiator, for these old engines.
Old 11th April 2011, 23:50   #163
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Was discussing with babu as Gopal wasn't there about the process and he said good load of water and coolant is going to go in. transmission sump, engine head cover etc have been painted black and they look good.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:23   #164
Senior - BHPian

Run-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Running in planned - most probably on tuesday. The engine would be run on idle for about 30 liters of petrol (their terminology - Engine cooling) and then on road for probably a 1000 kms.
Hi Shubz,

Please don't let the engine idle for 30lts of petrol, that is almost an hour plus of idling.

This protracted idling is the primary cause for Piston Ring and Bore getting scuffed, because of insufficient oil-pressure and insufficient cooling.

Fast Idle for 10-20 mins at operating temp (70-80 Degrees).

And then Hit the Road.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Please go through the scanned attachment in the previous post, pg38, is followed by pg37.
Old 12th April 2011, 17:10   #165
Senior - BHPian

Re: Run-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Shubz,

This protracted idling is the primary cause for Piston Ring and Bore getting scuffed, because of insufficient oil-pressure and insufficient cooling.

Fast Idle for 10-20 mins at operating temp (70-80 Degrees).

And then Hit the Road.

Regards,

Arka
Thanks for the suggestion Arka. Just to confirm - Fast Idle = Idling at higher RPM?

Hit the Road - Drive as Normal? (without straining the engine)

Most Viewed