Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 21:28   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B

Fast idle about 1500 Rpm where as normal tune up idle is 600 rpm. Run it at 1500 for the prescribed duration in the manual and then move on to road running in. The key to second part is loading the engine, but not lugging. Details are clearly explained in Arka's scans. Read the last part E113 and then move to first scan, then things will be clear to you. The attachment order is wrong
Old 12th April 2011, 21:58   #167
Senior - BHPian

Okay I get this perfectly! now the question is "Who will bell the cat?!" I sure don't have the gall to tell Gopal what needs to be done to break-in the engine! I sure cannot tell him "don't run 30 ltrs of oil but do this way" Jaggu - Would you help?
Old 12th April 2011, 22:17   #168
Team-BHP Support

Don't worry that much about talking to him, take a print of the attachment and share with him. Say that this is the info you got from the workshop manual recommended by M&M. He would explain why he prefer a longer standing running in. My guess the rebores (done locally) are generally too tight and hence the risk of seizure if not completely freed up. Check out DKG's classic car rebuild, he did the same. Same with my Crv and done by Honda dealership workshop.

I suggest you discuss it, rather bounce the idea as a suggestion you got, and let Gopal take a call. At the end of the day its his call and his responsibility that you have a perfect engine. If you insist on this, why should he stick to Gopal guaranty / warranty?

I would suggest, even after the standing running in, if you can follow the rest for on road running in the risks are covered. Main thing you need to take care of standing running in is raised RPM and cooling. Similarly before road running in, ensure engine is heated up to normal temperature and ideally do it during early morning and late evenings taking into consideration the ambient temperatures during summer.
Old 12th April 2011, 23:20   #169
Senior - BHPian

Okay I got it. The next question is regarding Road running - Is it recommended that I could use it for a regular drive - like a drive to office and back - amidst Bangalore traffic?
Old 12th April 2011, 23:58   #170
Team-BHP Support

Yes you can, ensure you idle for sometime to bring the engine to normal running temperatures. Also in the beginning do the runin for shorter durations and gradually increase the periods. Say 15 mts of running with a 5 mts break for first 100 kms, ideally do it over the weekend in one shot. Then make it 30-40 minutes running. Most of the running in is done in the first 300 to 700 kms, rest is breaking in the parts to tolerance so that engine is free and revving fine. Never baby the engine too much, this will not really help the whole process, on the other hand dont try to be race driver also. Decent acceleration and deceleration in each gear, that should do the trick and keep the carb mixture a little rich for the first 1000 kms.
Old 13th April 2011, 01:06   #171
BHPian

Phew.... It took almost an hour to go through the entire history of 'Hulk'. I was leaning a bit on having a pre-owned 'Bolero', but after reading this post, something new has growing started growing in my head.
Am I tending to be a 'Jeeper' ???

The posts has been really informative and really looking forward for the set of pictures especially the one with the 'Old man' proudly holding the steering of 'Incredible HULK'!!!
Old 13th April 2011, 01:28   #172
Senior - BHPian

"Old man" - Are you referring to the one who is tending to my Hulk? or referring to me?
Old 13th April 2011, 17:58   #173
Senior - BHPian

Groom almost done up. may have even mounted the horse by now. some pics taken by 14:00.
Attached Thumbnails
I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20110413_001.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20110413_002.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20110413_003.jpg  

Old 13th April 2011, 20:04   #174
Team-BHP Support

Superb! Wishing you all the very best in cruising, man i really envy you for the jeep engine now
Old 13th April 2011, 20:40   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If the bore is too tight, which will be the case with indian rebuilds
Agreed. Comes from the thought process 'Wear -> Loose, so Tight -> No Wear -> Good' Have raved and ranted with the mechs, to no avail. In the end, would measure the pistons myself, and tell the machine shop the final dimensions I wanted.
But as to what has already happened, just check out the piston measurements (major and minor) against the bore dimensions. The machine shop should have the figures. And ask the old man what ring gap he has kept.
How was the honing done? The crosshatching should have been clearly visible in the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Shubz, when you say Valve seating / grinding done, if possible also share what "exactly" has been done, what are the things to be taken care off etc.
Am I missing something? (You wanting details of the 3 stage cutting/ grinding, lapping, seat width, what?)

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 13th April 2011 at 20:42.
Old 13th April 2011, 22:06   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Superb! Wishing you all the very best in cruising, man i really envy you for the jeep engine now
Thank you Jaggu. I wish I could've been around when it is cranked first. Siraj had been sent to get the oil pump switch and engine oil. he got the oil but didn't get the switch.
Old 14th April 2011, 18:11   #177
Senior - BHPian

The Engine is mounted. Did the mechanicals on it and started the engine - Man!! it was singing!!! Too bad I was being heckled from home so had to rush back else would've loved too spend more time there. The mechanic was sent to get petrol and he had just returned by which I hat to leave
Attached Thumbnails
I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20110414_001.jpg  

Old 14th April 2011, 22:15   #178
Team-BHP Support

Next time record a video also please. Should be meeting up this weekend as usual i guess. Let us see what the old men have planned or have in their schedule.
Old 14th April 2011, 23:32   #179
Senior - BHPian

I had gone there to do just that. But as I said, I was being heckled by calls from home so I could spend just 20 mins there! This was the state it was in when i walked in. but the front grille was assembled, starter motor fixed, battery fixed, sprayed petrol in the carb and cranked, while Siraj was sent to get more fuel.

Hope to spend more time out there tomorrow.
Old 15th April 2011, 18:12   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Hope to spend more time out there tomorrow.
Perfect way to celebrate a B'Day for a Jeeper!

Congrats.

Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks