Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2011, 20:25   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Who said i dont want one, i dont mind one if its available
Genesis - Thats a nice gesture at least.

Ok that makes it two units! Wish there was someone to whom this Opera house falls on the way to work etc. Nevertheless will try calling on Monday.

Secondly, I was thinking if I should test the AC pump only. A friend suggested that i should empty the fuel tank. Keep a 2 ltr bottle of petrol handy. Disconnect all piping, connect the fuel in the bottle directly to the AC pump and check if the issue persists.

Or if nothing works --- https://willys-jeep-parts.com/produc...oducts_id=1151

Waiting for Gopal to come back and me be done with the family event!
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:18   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Genesis - Thats a nice gesture at least.

Ok that makes it two units! Wish there was someone to whom this Opera house falls on the way to work etc. Nevertheless will try calling on Monday.

Secondly, I was thinking if I should test the AC pump only. A friend suggested that i should empty the fuel tank. Keep a 2 ltr bottle of petrol handy. Disconnect all piping, connect the fuel in the bottle directly to the AC pump and check if the issue persists.

Or if nothing works --- https://willys-jeep-parts.com/produc...oducts_id=1151

Waiting for Gopal to come back and me be done with the family event!
I am planning to go to Mumbai (Atlas Motors) coming Saturday for my MM classic parts purchase. if you guys really want, then i can go upto Opera House area. you can talk to supplier and confirm me by Friday 06th April.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:10   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
I am planning to go to Mumbai (Atlas Motors) coming Saturday for my MM classic parts purchase. if you guys really want, then i can go upto Opera House area. you can talk to supplier and confirm me by Friday 06th April.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra ji - Thank you so much. Been running around a lot for the upcoming ceremony at home. so haven't been able to make any calls to anybody. Will try calling him. But I sure would love to have a UCAL EFP on my Jeep. Would you be able to ask them if they ship it to Bangalore? Thanks in advance

Realized a thing or two today - may or may not be of relevance.

Started the engine today - just 1 crank is all it too. Before that, I had switched on the EFP for about 10 seconds.

Ran on idle with occasional throttle just to bring it up to heat.

All along the AC pump did not show any signs of working (no bubbling).

Let the Engine temp go up to 70 deg.

Noticed small bubbles starting up.

Waited longer - occasional throttle and idle again.

Bubble then became constant. Then took out the Jeep for a ride and never had the need to switch to EFP.

However --

On stopping (as I had to do some groceries) and restarting - required the EFP for a minute or so. Though it did start without it but it was gasping by the time I had picked up speed to go to the 3rd gear.

But again - I had to put it on for a few seconds before shutting it off.

So does it say - the Pump is still good? Does a change in diaphragm etc work?
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:12   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
I am planning to go to Mumbai (Atlas Motors)
Shubhendra,
Kindly check if they have Lumax, side view mirrors (right and left) for 'Classic' with complete fitments.
Regards,
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:24   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
it was gasping by the time I had picked up speed to go to the 3rd gear.

But again - I had to put it on for a few seconds before shutting it off.

So does it say - the Pump is still good? Does a change in diaphragm etc work?
Shubz,
The fuel starvation in your testing, if the pump is working properly or not, is not good for your newly overhauled engine.

There will be no problem when your engine is cold, but once it heats up due to traffic, engine heating up or long runs, the pump starts to act up in summer. Also, poor fuel supply, smaller main jet contribute to engine heat up.

It is a right choice to start running the EPF full time, especially in summer, when the engine requires a good flow of fuel and your mechanical pump fails to deliver.
Regards,
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:13   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Shubz,
The fuel starvation in your testing, if the pump is working properly or not, is not good for your newly overhauled engine.

There will be no problem when your engine is cold, but once it heats up due to traffic, engine heating up or long runs, the pump starts to act up in summer. Also, poor fuel supply, smaller main jet contribute to engine heat up.

It is a right choice to start running the EPF full time, especially in summer, when the engine requires a good flow of fuel and your mechanical pump fails to deliver.
Regards,
Right said Fazal sir. I do not intend to run the Jeep on "test" mode in my regular driving. No more starve testing as well. At least I got to know the existing pump behavior in these little tests.

For my drive to office I intend to run in on "Full EFP" mode. Unless I am able to get a new pump / new diaphragm kit. Don't want to starve the engine on the longer runs.
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:39   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Shubhendra,
Kindly check if they have Lumax, side view mirrors (right and left) for 'Classic' with complete fitments.
Regards,
Fazal Saheb,
I checked with them few days back, but they don't have original side view mirrors. We need to do with Tata 407's side view mirrors. Let me know if you need brackets etc.
Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:33   #278
Senior - BHPian

Was passing by Gopals, so dropped in. Gopal still is not in town but I saw an immaculate pump that has come for me. "Made in USA" Doesn't have the glass top though. Babu said Gopal would check the pump tomorrow and can use the glass top of my pump if everything else is working fine. hoping that works!
Old 4th May 2011, 11:15   #279
Team-BHP Support

But please remove the additional filter, its not required.
Old 4th May 2011, 18:25   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But please remove the additional filter, its not required.
Oh yes that is very much on the agenda. Will pick a Maruti Fuel filter first and some piping of good quality along with some clips and do a DIY on this set up by which time, Gopal would have laid his hands on the pump lying at his workshop.

Just spoke to Gopal on behalf of Rudra sir. He has just landed back in Bangalore.

If the ceremony stuff at home doesn't hold me long, I will pay a visit to Gopal tomorrow.

Whilst with the FP saga, I almost forgot about the muffler part of it. I had got the muffler/tail pipe units from Delhi and it seems like I was given a lemon. (trust these Mayapuri guys remotely). It is already beginning to rust and seems like its just a cylinder with nothing in it. Hence a deep throated roar at the exhaust.

Any clues where I can pick an woriginal one in Bangalore or is it --->

NEW WILLYS JEEP 4 CYL. EXHAUST MUFFLER 1945-71 # 641878 | eBay
Old 4th May 2011, 18:53   #281
Team-BHP Support

Be prepared for a petrol shower if you are doing DIY Silencer why dont you try a different vehicles, like isuzu petrols; i just love that sound. Unless you are particular about the originality.
Old 4th May 2011, 19:13   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Be prepared for a petrol shower if you are doing DIY Silencer why dont you try a different vehicles, like isuzu petrols; i just love that sound. Unless you are particular about the originality.
Regarding petrol shower I have planned to drain the petrol on to a can and then start the story.

and I heard even Tata Indica muffler suits as well... but Isuzu petrols/tata indica's are the last options. Don't think Gopal would approve of it either. When I asked about the same, he gave me a wry smile saying - why don't we try and keep it as original as possible.
Old 6th May 2011, 17:40   #283
Senior - BHPian

Was running errands in the Jeep and I encountered a problem which I was hoping to encounter sooner or later.

Was running the engine continuously on EFP and in the middle of traffic, my poor Hulk can't take too rich a fuel and stalls. Traffic halted, people yelling at me to move the jeep. and I would have if only the Hulk was featherlight. Some street vendors came across and pushed the vehicle to the side.

Let it cool down and also cool myself down for a couple of mins and then started cranking the engine. Could notice the AC pump, pumping in more fuel and it wouldn't start.

I continued cranking (gently, not furiously) sometimes pulling the throttle lever, most of the time just cranking.

The fuel in the glass pot goes dry and the engine starts. Mechanical fuel pump pumping in fuel and the Jeep is back up and running.

PUMP needs to be fixed!!!!!!

Due to the ceremony scheduled at home, I have now parked the Jeep where it should be - At Gopals! Also asked him to fix my pump issue. Man seems determined to fix it!
Old 10th May 2011, 18:21   #284
Senior - BHPian

Gurus and Advisors seem to have gone quiet! Anyways more updates.

Gopal is severely short staffed. Mamu has a chronic back problem. Babu has escaped to his native town citing a family function. So it is just Gopal and Siraj doing the duties.

AC pump was dismantled and the replacement one was serviced on the outside (not opened).

The existing FP dismantled.

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-old-fp.jpg

Note the "Made in USA" marking on the old FP. The new one also has a similar marking but I felt it is a wee different than this one in terms of the built, the shape of the tongue (or whatever you call it) etc.
I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-made-usa-marking.jpg

This is the replacement pump, glass top taken from the original pump and put on this one. The gasket that you see is sent by Fazal sir and doesn't seem like it is the right one for it. Hope Fazal sir visits this post.

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-replacement-fp.jpg
Old 10th May 2011, 20:09   #285
Senior - BHPian

Shubz,
I can see that the gasket doesn't fit, it was a perfect fit on the FP of the
3B that I had done.
Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks