Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 19:20   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
@ Jaggu - You are one man I was after! I have seen your postings and am glad that you are in Bangalore! I live in BSK and the Jeep is now nested in a garage in BSK (thankfully I found one close to where I live)
Why are you after me!! Just drop a PM and i will try to help you the best i can, though you are already in touch with real guru's. I was also watching the emails from yahoo groups and the discussions about your beautiful jeep.
Old 28th September 2010, 18:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Scene IV - The aftermath.

Once the owner fulfilled his promises of giving me the Jeep in "1 crank start" condition, I went to take a test ride. And I was sweating profusely! Besides the adrenalin rush at being behind the wheel, the steering wheel was like those of a toy car - free wheeling either sides to about 100+ degrees and I was zigzagging on the rural roads of Bangalore much to the amusement of the locals and the owner who was sneering from the back seat and saying "Don't worry sir, you will get used to it". But I surely was worried! I sure couldn't be juggling with it in Bangalore traffic!

The next thing that took my heart out were the brakes - Rock Hard! Me being a light framed person, it blew the wind out of my sails as even if I had to stand on the brake pedal, the vehicle wasn't slowing down! I said, Thats it, Jeep is not for me! Am happy with the Power steering/Power brakes of the Honda's and Hyundai's. But my friend and the owner had other ideas and coaxed me into it and made me change my mind! It was more controlled the next time as I had "kinda got used to the steering" but not the brakes!!

Nevertheless, I wanted this machine! I also got to know from the Jeep Guru's that those things aren't a problem at all and they could be fixed!

Thanks to T-BHP forum, I was able to locate a Jeep Mechanic close to where I live and got in touch with him and requested if he could send along a strong man to get the Jeep to his garage and have the Brakes and Steering fixed. And so I got the Jeep back to Bangalore city - straight into the garage it went.

The wheels were dismantled and the wheel bearings changed, the cylinders serviced and host of other things done just on the wheels/brakes and they are now in place. The next on the agenda was the steering assembly. This is fitted with the original ROSS type steering assembly and I guess it is on End-of-Life. The foreman at the garage insisted on going in for an XLO steering assembly as he said it'd be as good as a power steering!

So the hunt began for XLO!

Ran around the town, Shivajinagar, Siddaiah Road, numerous mechanics around Banashankari, the garage next door asking for XLO -- The answer was simple -- "Naale Banni" or "Kal ajaao saab" (Come tomorrow). I think this is the favorite phrase of these guys!

The Jeep gurus stepped in here!

1) UBS sir got in touch with me asking details about what I am looking for.
2) Hemings referred me to some folks even though he was out of town
3) Andy referred me to Shabbir on Siddaiah road.

UBS sir then grabbed me by the scruff of my collar and said - Stop Running around, I will send you what you want! What a gesture that was! If not for UBS sir, I would still be tanning myself more by running around the folks who ask me to come "tomorrow"!

The reverred UBS sir also sent across loads of information about the brake systems, the steering systems of the Jeep of that Era and I started talking this language with the mechanics working on the Jeep much to their surprise!

The update now is that the oil seal in the gear box had gone kaput and oil was spilling over to the clutch and over the hand brake assembly. The oil seal is being replaced and the gear box will be up in place by tomorrow 28th September. I will be receiving the steering assembly in a couple of days

I am posting a few pics of the Jeep for now and will update the thread with the pictures of the following as suggested by my dear friend Andy.

Interiors

1. From drivers seat right into steering wheel and beyond
2. From passenger's side
3. Showing the positioning of handbrake
4. Remove driver's side foot mat and show brake inspection lid
5. Foot operated dip/dim switch
6. Tub area from 4 sides
7. Photo of VIN plate from both locations (on dashboard and behind passenger seat on mudguard)
8. All meters.
9. Foldable seats in both up and folded position.

Exteriors

1. Front and rear from an angle left and right showing "Willy's embossed.
2. Front zoomed
3. Bonnet cover
4. rear side
5. closeup of the scissor top.

28th September 2010 - The Jeep is now ready sans the new steering kit which is on its way. It just needs a good scrub and The Hulk would be ready for the roads!!
Attached Thumbnails
I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_001.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_002.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_004.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_005.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_006.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_007.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_008.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_010.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_012.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_013.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_015.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_017.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_019.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_020.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_021.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_022.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_023.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-20100925_025.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-steering.jpg  

Old 28th September 2010, 18:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Shubz,
That's a very well maintained, original high bonnet you have picked up.
Congratualations! If there is anything I can do for you let me know, Sourcing parts etc. Reg. technical you already have UBS Sir.
Again, a beautiful 3B joined the forum.
Regards,
Old 28th September 2010, 18:59   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shubz - that's a real good CJ3BLHD you have got there. Please be careful when rectifying the issues. I suggest you please PM me your contact number. I will guide you in totality. As regards the steering, there is a slack adjuster provided (the center screw and lock nut in the last photograph). Please see if your technician can carry out the adjustment. There is slack adjuster provided in the steering intermediate shaft also (behind the split pin in the fourth last photograph). The distributor (the part from where your spark plug wires come out) of your Jeep is original, seems to be Magneti Marelli, be very careful, as no service parts are available now. The choke on the carburettor is not fully closed, please do so or you will waste petrol and you will never be able to set the idling speed. Somebody has put a spark plug nut on the carburettor accelerating pump shaft. Please remove it. You will have to equip your Jeep with an electronic fuel pump with fuel return line. Please refer my comments to Jaggu in this regard.

Please do only what is required.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 28th September 2010 at 19:03. Reason: add info
Old 28th September 2010, 20:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

@ Behram Sir -Thank you and Very nice observations! I sure did even think on those lines. Thank you sir. With regards to steering, the slack adjuster has been checked and it seems to have reached End of Life (probably) and the only thing am looking at now is to change it to XLO which UBS sir is sending across. Nevertheless, I will try and convince the mechanic to take a look at the slack adjuster once again.

Choke - Yes I did notice a 4 to 5 mm slack in the choke switch and thank you once again for bringing it to my notice, I will have it fixed tomorrow. As far as idling is concerned, the engine idles beautifully now.

Spark plug nut - I will talk to the mechanic to see if that can be replaced with the original one, got to check for its availability too.

Electronic pump - There is an electronic pump to push in the fuel but not for fuel return line. Should I have another fuel pump (electronic) installed for the return?

And please note that I am not into changing anything majorly, just had the brakes overhauled, changed wheel bearings, Clutch loader plate was cracked, luckily got a new WILLYS loader plate which has made the clutch VERY smooth and changing the steering to XLO LHD. Besides going in for new NDMS tires and getting a new soft top.

Sir - I will be pm'ing my no. to you after this.
------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Fazal Bhai - Thank you so much! The only thing I sweated myself out was on the steering which UBS sir is sending across. Besides that if I need anything I sure would get in touch with you. Would request you to PM me your number.
Old 28th September 2010, 21:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

To all,

With regards to the pics posted above, I had two questions.

1) In the pic depicting the Brake inspection plate (between brake and clutch), I notice that these are fastened by star screws.

2) the same goes with the VIN plate - fastened by star screws.

Did they have star screws during those days? or have they been replaced with the star screws now.

Best regards,
Shub
Old 28th September 2010, 22:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
To all,
Did they have star screws during those days? or have they been replaced with the star now.
Yes they had star screws, yours are original. Don't replace them.

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 28th September 2010 at 22:23.
Old 29th September 2010, 10:38   #23
BHPian

Hey bro , where in BSK do you live in . My house is in BSK 2nd stage and office is in BSK 3rd stage .
Old 1st October 2010, 18:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Dear All,

Finally, I got the XLO steering assembly, with the bell crank pin and the corresponding steering wheel.. The existing ROSS assembly is now off the Jeep and the XLO one is being serviced, filled with SAE 80 Oil and grease to have maximum lubrication.

A new battery (SUMO battery) of Exide MHD800 is also mounted!

and The Hulk will be ready to roll tomorrow.

I wish to whole-heartedly thank UBS sir for making this possible!

Will keep everybody updated.

Thanks for all the help!

Regards,
Shub
Old 1st October 2010, 20:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Dear Behram sir,

Regarding spark plug nut on the carburetor accelerating pump shaft, please let me know what is the functionality of it and what do I do about it? You had advised me to remove it. Should I be replacing it with something else? The mechanic said, it is not going to matter.

Regards,
Shub
Old 5th October 2010, 20:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Dear Jeepers,

This is to inform you all that I finally got the Jeep out of the garage and drove around my locality with lots of appreciative stares. I love the way the vehicle handles. The steering assembly you provided by UBS sir was indeed a blessing! I am now very confident of handling the Jeep in the city. The brakes are much better now, I guess they need to set in a bit before I am absolutely comfortable with it.

I will be posting the cost of repairs so far soon.

The next on the list are little things like,

1) Windshield with the rubber cowl/beading. - Going for it this weekend.
2) Original horn button as I already have the horn kit.
3) Original Side mirrors - There are sticks present but I am not sure if they can be used now. Not sure if they are available in Bangalore
4) Single blade wiper unit. - I believe this should be available in Bangalore
5) Soft Top - Which I will be going in for this weekend.
6) Tires - I will be going in for NDMS 6.00 x 16 this weekend.

Regards,
Shubz
Old 6th October 2010, 00:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hello again,

I forgot another thing. Am also looking to change the meters to original one's. Any leads on this?

Replies much appreciated.

Regards,
Shubz
Old 6th October 2010, 16:56   #28
Team-BHP Support

Nice update and glad to know that the jeep is running around as it should. Looking forward to more updates and pictures
Old 6th October 2010, 23:32   #29
BHPian

A very informative thread indeed. Will help me a lot in the restoration of my cj4a (LWB version of cj3b) in the coming days ahead.

Keep up the good work and keep documenting every step with photographs.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 6th October 2010, 23:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Dear friends,

Had a query on the quantity of oil that is required for the following.

1) Oil for front differential

2) Oil for rear differential

3) How much engine oil does the Hurricane hold?

4) How much oil need to be filled in the main gear box?

5) How much need to be filled for the FWD gear box?

6) Finally, what is the grade of oil for each?

Thanks
Shubz

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks