Senior - BHPian

Thank you kd bhai!

The next on the agenda are,

Mirrors
Speedometer!
Old 21st October 2010, 22:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

Hello folks,

I got the final stuff about the soft top done. Folding front doors and Jerry can strap.

Ordered Muffler, tail pipe set, side mirrors and fuel tank for the 3b from Bablu (delhi). On its way now.

Attaching a couple of pics.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-folding-doors.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-jerry-can-strap.jpg  

Old 22nd October 2010, 13:49   #64
BHPian

Hey bro , top looks very neat . How much did it cost you? Is it water proof . Get a pair FWH , it helps.

Whats wrong with your jeeps muffler , tail pipe & fuel tank that you are changing them ?

Last edited by karizma9292 : 22nd October 2010 at 13:52.
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:16   #65
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the appreciation!

Cost of the whole canvas top job - 5K - which includes the front door, cover for the tailgate chain, jerry can strap etc (brass buckles - my foot - already rusting in the corners - he has promised to change them to brass in the coming week without any extra cost)

Whats wrong with my muffler?

A: when I let go of the throttle when driving, it makes a vhooorrrr vhoorrr kinda sputter. The mechanic said, muffler leak, either get it brazed/welded/fevicol/super glue (lol) or change it. So I opted for the change.

What is wrong with the fuel tank?

I fill only 500 rs worth of petrol each time cos the fuel leaks from the inlet end even though I have put a new cap and also lined it with polythene bag neatly, but I guess it still spills over. So the cabin reeks of petrol smell. and even I catch the smell on my clothes. So all the CK's and Dior's on me smell like petrol!

There seems to be an issue with the sending unit as well. Even with 500 rs worth of fuel, the fuel gauge rocks from E to F so I don't know how much fuel is left.

Regards,
Shub

And FWH - Yes that is on the agenda too. Just not able to take time off to drive to Veersandra Indl Area and get it fixed. Sunday's I don't think they are open. So saturday it has to be. Tomorrow a good friend of mine and a Jeep guru wants to see the Jeep. Thats been pending for a few weeks now. This Saturday he is in town, so thats come up. Don't want to miss out on that. After that if I have time, I will drive down to Veersandra Indl Area and get the FWH fixed. i sure need them, Fuel is being guzzled anyways, hope to save a few drops with that

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd October 2010 at 19:18. Reason: Back to back posts, please use multi quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:39   #66
NFS
BHPian

cj3b has been a dream to me too. In 2007 I almost bought one (inputs from UBS sir), but then my work life balance was really bad and my entire family and friends were against me investing on this. It took some time to get a go ahead from my better half, but then my office work load increased and I could not even follow it up. Always remained as a Dream.

Congrats on your possession, I am eager to see how your Jeep project proceeds and glued to this thread.

Long story short: My first driving on a "Jeep like Ford truck" was in US. The owner of the truck (my colleague) was away, I asked another friend who was along with me, if I could drive and took the Jeep on our Apartment driveway over to a Ranch on the other side of the road. Believe me I had never driven a car, that too this one Left Hand Drive. No problems and drove it fast and all around the Ranch. Very similar to your story.

All the best!

NFS
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:57   #67
Senior - BHPian

Thank you NFS sir.

My first LHD was in the US as well. But that was a luxury sedan. Not a rugged one like this. I was VERY apprehensive though I was all in love with the LHD. My first drive of this LHD was scary and I was perspiring as the steering and brakes were REAL bad! Almost gave up on it. But my inner self and the guru's of this doman - ( UBS Sir, Hemings and Andy - All due for special mention here) helped me stay put with the idea of going for it. Now I am very comfortable and I mow through the traffic like I have been driving this forever!

Will keep this thread posted with updates for sure!

Regards,
Shub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
cj3b has been a dream to me too. In 2007 I almost bought one (inputs from UBS sir), but then my work life balance was really bad and my entire family and friends were against me investing on this. It took some time to get a go ahead from my better half, but then my office work load increased and I could not even follow it up. Always remained as a Dream.

Congrats on your possession, I am eager to see how your Jeep project proceeds and glued to this thread.

Long story short: My first driving on a "Jeep like Ford truck" was in US. The owner of the truck (my colleague) was away, I asked another friend who was along with me, if I could drive and took the Jeep on our Apartment driveway over to a Ranch on the other side of the road. Believe me I had never driven a car, that too this one Left Hand Drive. No problems and drove it fast and all around the Ranch. Very similar to your story.

All the best!

NFS
Old 25th October 2010, 17:33   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Thanks for the appreciation!

What is wrong with the fuel tank?

I fill only 500 rs worth of petrol each time cos the fuel leaks from the inlet end even though I have put a new cap and also lined it with polythene bag neatly, but I guess it still spills over. So the cabin reeks of petrol smell. and even I catch the smell on my clothes. So all the CK's and Dior's on me smell like petrol!
Hi Shubz,

This is a common problem with CJ3B / 500Ds. Try doing the following :

1. Add a rubber beading in the existing cap.
2. Try pushing in the lock lever a bit downwards so that it holds the tank neck tight when locked.
3. (this method was taught by Arka, thanks to him) Tie a plastic disc at one end of a thread and insert it inside the tank. Get the other end of the thread out of the fuel tank and tie it either on the rollcage.

If not sure about method 2, pls post a pic of the tank neck and the inside part of fuel cap so that I can explain.

Last edited by Sabareesh : 25th October 2010 at 17:37.
Old 26th October 2010, 21:34   #69
Senior - BHPian

Sabareesh sir,

Here are a few pics of the fuel tank opening.

thanks,
Shub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Hi Shubz,

This is a common problem with CJ3B / 500Ds. Try doing the following :

1. Add a rubber beading in the existing cap.
2. Try pushing in the lock lever a bit downwards so that it holds the tank neck tight when locked.
3. (this method was taught by Arka, thanks to him) Tie a plastic disc at one end of a thread and insert it inside the tank. Get the other end of the thread out of the fuel tank and tie it either on the rollcage.

If not sure about method 2, pls post a pic of the tank neck and the inside part of fuel cap so that I can explain.
Attached Thumbnails
I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-fuel-opening1.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-fuel-opening.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-cap.jpg  

Old 27th October 2010, 01:01   #70
BHPian

Hello Shub,

your jeep really looks good.
Why not, as explained by Hemendra after his inspection, it is a very original and clean piece. Most parts are untampered.
The Civilian Jeep with military dressings is sometimes not acceptable to real jeep lovers, but end of the day, you will have to enjoy the fruits of your efforts.

The problems faced by you post restoration will make you understand your Jeep better.
Regarding the petrol cap leaking, you can never stop it unless you put a Jeep's cap. These Ambassador caps modified for the jeep tank are good if placed at a height. The jeep caps came without a key to lock.

To enjoy a CJ3B or any petrol jeep, you must always have a good fuel tank, clean fuel and exhaust lines, a good fuel pump and radiator, metal fans with a shroud over it, healthy engine and most important are the distributor and the carb.
Free wheeling hubs are highly recommended too. The wheel bearings should be well set and one should be able to push his jeep alone if unloaded.

Hope you are enjoying the 3B and wishing you all the best,
yours.................. UBS
Old 27th October 2010, 01:40   #71
Senior - BHPian

Dearest UBS sir,

It is my honor that you stopped by my thread and posted more valuable inputs.

As suggested by Hemendra, I am in the process of de-militarising the Jeep. The Jerry can and the holder has been done away with.

I have ordered for a fuel tank from Delhi and it is on its way. It may take a few days to arrive in Bangalore.

Now please advise on where do I look for a Jeep fuel tank cap? I have looked around the websites and I know what you mean by "cap without a lock". Will look around to see if I can get one, even see if I can import one from the various websites including ebay.

Once I have the new tank ready for installation, I will ensure that the fuel line is checked and cleaned, the fuel pump is serviced. I do have metal radiator fans and a good shroud covering the same. My distributor also seems to be the original one and I really hope/pray, nothing goes wrong with it. The starter motor probably needs a round of servicing. It does make a noise but I did have it checked by a old timer electrician after meeting Hemendra and he said, despite the noise, the starter motor does have good life in it.

FWH is on the agenda too. I will have to drive down to a industrial area of bangalore where the company Lambda is situated and get them fixed. Will do so once these niggling issues are taken care of.

There is a bit of oil leak in the front differential and the transfer case. I am taking the Jeep to the mechanic in the morning to have him fix the leak. Will also have him check for the wheel bearings. I know for sure that we had replaced the wheel bearings with brand new one's.

With you good wishes and support, I sure am enjoying my time with the Jeep. Heartiest regards to Hemendra as well who took pains to drive across the city to inspect the Jeep. I look forward to meeting him often.

Once again, Warmest Regards,
Sincerely yours,
Shub

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.B.Singh View Post
Hello Shub,

your jeep really looks good.
Why not, as explained by Hemendra after his inspection, it is a very original and clean piece. Most parts are untampered.
The Civilian Jeep with military dressings is sometimes not acceptable to real jeep lovers, but end of the day, you will have to enjoy the fruits of your efforts.

The problems faced by you post restoration will make you understand your Jeep better.
Regarding the petrol cap leaking, you can never stop it unless you put a Jeep's cap. These Ambassador caps modified for the jeep tank are good if placed at a height. The jeep caps came without a key to lock.

To enjoy a CJ3B or any petrol jeep, you must always have a good fuel tank, clean fuel and exhaust lines, a good fuel pump and radiator, metal fans with a shroud over it, healthy engine and most important are the distributor and the carb.
Free wheeling hubs are highly recommended too. The wheel bearings should be well set and one should be able to push his jeep alone if unloaded.

Hope you are enjoying the 3B and wishing you all the best,
yours.................. UBS
Old 29th October 2010, 22:27   #72
Senior - BHPian

The Differential leaks and TC leak has been taken care of. So I have a relatively dry underside.

Now the next is waiting up for the Fuel tank/muffler/tail pipe to arrive from Delhi.

Jeep pundits - Please advise if the muffler needs to be packed with glass wool before fitting it.

Replies appreciated.

Regards,
Shub
Old 3rd November 2010, 00:00   #73
Senior - BHPian

Seems like the whole worlds attention is wandering with the Gypsy's!
Old 4th November 2010, 18:42   #74
Team-BHP Support

I dont think if its an oe design you need glass wool inside, usually this is done for free flow mufflers to make them more silent.
Old 4th November 2010, 21:33   #75
Senior - BHPian

No, no, even OEMs use glass wool. All depends on what and how much you want to muffle.

Spike

PS- Pass by noise tests are done without the glass wool in-order to simulate worst case scenarios.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks