Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2010, 21:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B

Scene I - Teens

It all began way back in my teens, the urge to be in the driver seat, but no wheels to drive. My friend arrives in a Jeep to take me on a spin (He had stolen his dads Jeep as his strict dad was out of town on an assignment).

He asks: Wanna come for a drive?

I say: Hang on, I need to seek my folks permission, why don't you wait up for me at the corner of the street and I would join you soon.

I quickly sought permission, slipped into whatever I can lay my hands upon and ran to the corner of the street where my friend is patiently waiting.

He asks: Do you want to drive?
I say: Indeed.
He asks: Do you know to drive?
I say: (gulp) Of course I know.

So he hops out of the cockpit and takes the passenger seat and I confidently jump on to the driver seat. It was a left hand drive Jeep. Was too young to notice details like year of make, 2WD, 4WD, Petrol, Diesel etc. That was my first time in my life behind a wheel. Cranked the engine to life, took a confirmation on which is the clutch pedal, which ones the brake and which one's the accelerator. What happened later is anybody's guess, I was driving all over the place, on the tarmac, on the pavement, narrowly missing the electric poles, trees and my friend clutching on to whatever he could so he doesn't fall off the vehicle. By the grace of Almighty, I did not knock into anything or knock off anybody.

So technically I started driving with a Jeep. And we all moved on. Little did I know that it'd turn into a passion almost 20 years later.

More to follow.....
Old 24th September 2010, 00:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

A first peek into what is to come soon.
Attached Thumbnails
I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-jeep3.jpg  

Old 24th September 2010, 00:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shubz, welcome on board, another jeeper to follow, I love this. When I was going through your post I started visualizing the tale and it was pretty good with you running jet speed to the corner of the street, laughing, shouting and rocking the roads behind the wheels.

I understand you have got a Willys CJ3b for sure and you want to come up with the pictures and other stuff in a short time but my dear friend I am a impatient guy, please post the pictures and other things i.e., the buying story, plans for the machine for future etc. The jeeper in me will be stuck to 4X4 section for more and more stories, experiences and pictures. All the best my friend.
Old 24th September 2010, 08:22   #4
BHPian

@ Shubz,
Congrats on a new & wise buy.
You CJ3B looks quiet descent & looks to be fitted some original goodies.
Is it still has L-Head (or F-Head ??) Hurricane petrol Engine in it ?
Is the 4WD is still intact & functioning ?
Have you bought this Jeep from Banglore OLX website ? (Seen the some what same Jeep some months back for sale on OLX website)
Old 24th September 2010, 11:58   #5
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I was driving all over the place, on the tarmac, on the pavement, narrowly missing the electric poles, trees and my friend clutching on to whatever he could so he doesn't fall off the vehicle. By the grace of Almighty, I did not knock into anything or knock off anybody.

So technically I started driving with a Jeep. And we all moved on. Little did I know that it'd turn into a passion almost 20 years later.
Awesome story Shubz.

This is funnily the exact same way I started driving. Same situation only difference being that the car was my dad's Series III Landy which was strictly off-limits for me. Must be 15-16 then. It didn't end up being as dramatic as your drive but if only something had happened my Dad would've roasted me alive.

Looking forward to the CJ3B part of the story
Old 24th September 2010, 18:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

@ AVR - Lol I knew I would have a few buddies out here with the same experience!

@ dhrishikesh - It is an F head Hurricane engine. 4WD still intact and working. And Yes I bought it out of the OLX site where it still says is on sale!

@ Chanu - I took quite an effort to get the Jeep and also to get into this forum - so I would let everybody wait and watch.
Old 24th September 2010, 18:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Scene II - Corporate world and the Jeep.

The only thing on the mind was work, moving up corporate ladder, moving cities/countries, family etc. Age of new vehicles pouring in by the dozens.

Moved back to Bangalore a couple of years ago and a friend happens to drop by to meet me while am at work. Since my friend is not permitted to park in the company's parking lot, we drive together to the Pay park facility within the campus and...

THERE WERE 5 VINTAGE CLASSICS LINED UP! A couple of them had WILLYS embossed on it. A few had "FORD" insignia on it. Shovels, Pick axe's, Jerry Cans, Soft tops, BO lights et all. All lined up in pristine condition, but did not seem like they are being used at all. I do a frantic search for the right folks who own it but alas - They said - Sorry, we are collectors and don't intend to sell!

And I fall in love again with the "WILLYS" and in an instant make up my mind to look for one. And then my search for one begins. What better place than the internet! A search gets me a few great sites like Jeep_thrills on Yahoo groups, Team BHP, The CJ3B Page etc. And the pages give me some great people like UBS sir, Hemings, Andy, Chetan, Santosh, Siddharth, Amrit etc (apologies if I have missed out on some)
Old 24th September 2010, 18:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shubz,
Nice to see your thread here.
Congratulations on the Jeep.
There are quite some of us on jeep_thrills too, who've been reading the progress on your Jeep
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 24th September 2010, 18:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hello Deepak,

Am glad to know that! And I thought all would think "oh no, another dramatic one"

I thank one and all who view and post back replies, feedback, advise etc.

Thank you all,
Shub
Old 27th September 2010, 00:26   #10

Buddy,

Congrats on the Jeep!
Envy you, that's something I would like to own. Anyway I have my hands full now with a gypsy!

I am glued to this thread, we need more snaps!
Old 27th September 2010, 14:41   #11
BHPian

Hey congratulations for finding Hulk Subz.

By any chance your office is in EGL? If so, we can meet as I would like to see your jeep. I am not any expert but just loves jeeps.

Eagerly waiting for more updates in this thread.

Pradip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Scene II - Corporate world and the Jeep.

The only thing on the mind was work, moving up corporate ladder, moving cities/countries, family etc. Age of new vehicles pouring in by the dozens.

Moved back to Bangalore a couple of years ago and a friend happens to drop by to meet me while am at work. Since my friend is not permitted to park in the company's parking lot, we drive together to the Pay park facility within the campus and...

THERE WERE 5 VINTAGE CLASSICS LINED UP! A couple of them had WILLYS embossed on it. A few had "FORD" insignia on it. Shovels, Pick axe's, Jerry Cans, Soft tops, BO lights et all. All lined up in pristine condition, but did not seem like they are being used at all. I do a frantic search for the right folks who own it but alas - They said - Sorry, we are collectors and don't intend to sell!

And I fall in love again with the "WILLYS" and in an instant make up my mind to look for one. And then my search for one begins. What better place than the internet! A search gets me a few great sites like Jeep_thrills on Yahoo groups, Team BHP, The CJ3B Page etc. And the pages give me some great people like UBS sir, Hemings, Andy, Chetan, Santosh, Siddharth, Amrit etc (apologies if I have missed out on some)
Old 27th September 2010, 15:30   #12
Team-BHP Support

Congratz Shub. Thats a nice jeep, where in BLR are you located at? And can we continue with the story telling after all these teasers
Old 27th September 2010, 17:17   #13
BHPian

Hey bro . thats a neat jeep .COngrats , looks all original . THe F-head engine is one bullet proof engine . WHat model is it BTW?
Old 27th September 2010, 18:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

@ pradipk - Yes I work out of EGL and you sure could check out the Jeep from next week onwards as I am hoping it'd roll out of the garage this week.

@ Jaggu - You are one man I was after! I have seen your postings and am glad that you are in Bangalore! I live in BSK and the Jeep is now nested in a garage in BSK (thankfully I found one close to where I live)

@ karizma - Thanks bro. It is a 1965 model, LHD. Yea, the Jeep experts do concur that most of it is Original.

Scene III to follow -- (bit of editing in progress - along with Pics)
Old 27th September 2010, 19:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Scene III - The right Jeep.

I always had a fascination for a LHD and through some searches on the net I found that LHD's (originals) were in production till about 1965 and 1964 was the model that I thought I'd look for and opened a thread on Jeep thrills asking if anybody is aware of a 1964 LHD WILLYS and then I had to face a barrage of questions as to why 1964 only and not any other models. UBS sir and others kind to enlighten me more about the Jeeps of that ERA and it only strengthened my resolve on either 1965 or 1964 model. I was also keen on the Originality factor and sure wasn't keen on modified stuff. And the search went on... Did stumble into a couple of them, but did not appeal to me much.

One night, late night, i stumbled upon an ad for a 1965 Willys in almost pristine condition a beautiful CJ with some military fittings to show available for sale (or so the ad said). It had a number of the owner to contact and an email address. I wanted to wait until morning to contact this person but could not hold back until then. So at 1 am I nervously send a text message on the number provided and was hoping to hear a mouthful the next day by the owner asking if that is the time one sends a text msg. I wake up the next morning and I find a reply saying "yes it is available". I say Yippee! and call the number and speak to the person and took an appointment for the weekend to inspect the Jeep which he gladly obliged to. An hour later over a cup of tea and cigarette, I wonder, Why weekend, Why not today? Why not now? I called the owner once again asking if it is okay to take a look at it the same day and he was once again very obliging. I quickly get ready and pick the friend with whom I had first sighted these amazing machines and drove some 40 kms outside Bangalore city to look at this and it was..

Love at first sight!

The Jeep was parked in the porch for a few months and not being used, so the battery wasn't there to start the engine. The second disappointment was the owner asking for an EXORBITANT price for the same. Disappointed at the exhorbitant price, I trudge back to office and send the owner a text message to reconsider the asking price. After much deliberations we come to an agreement on the price and the kind owner promises to get the Jeep in running condition (1 crank start) before handing it over to me.

Here I wish to take a moment to whole-heartedly thank Andy (Andy Haryali - not sure if he would read this) for taking his precious time off on a Sunday and spend almost the whole day inspecting the Jeep and helping negotiate with the owner!

I also wish to thank Hemings who despite a tight schedule was always replying to my text messages and phone calls!

and I wish to bow in respect to Mr. Uday Bhan Singh for being the encyclopedia on this topic!

Here I am, a proud owner of a 1965 LHD Hurricane Petrol Engine with 4 WD! Some more pics attached. The gross ones (interiors and dismantled stuff) to come with the next post
Attached Thumbnails
I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-jeep4.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-jeep5.jpg  

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-jeep-r3.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks