Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 15:55   #76
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why 4x4 only in top end variants of SUVs

I guess with top end Scorpio and Safari 4X4 going into the range of the XUV top end AWD, they would have had to do something atleast to protect the 4X4 market.

With the Safari we need to wait for the new one and see the positioning vs XUV (with the new pricing levels it has set) plus they might get in the 4X4 even in lower priced variants. The current problem if 4X4 were to be available would be of a guy having to choose between a LX 4X4 of the EX with prewired dual AC, fogs etc. - They have removed the dilema for individuals. I guess true 4X4 requirements have yet not reached a scale where it would be worthwhile for companies to focus on that aspect across the range.
Old 18th October 2011, 18:48   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
They have removed the dilema for individuals. I guess true 4X4 requirements have yet not reached a scale where it would be worthwhile for companies to focus on that aspect across the range.
It's a chick or egg situation, if manufacturers offered 4x4 in the lower end affordable versions, then there will be more takers. I would assume 4x4 are predominantly bought by younger consumers who may not have reached the stage in their life to spring for a vehicle that costs 13 lakhs and above on the road.
Old 18th October 2011, 20:17   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Get a new Gypsy @6.4lacs OTR and spend a lac or more on giving it a roof/body and rear sofa ...--Ragul
But with the petrol prices going through the roof, we would need a petrol pump too.
Old 18th October 2011, 21:17   #79
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
But with the petrol prices going through the roof, we would need a petrol pump too.
A new Gypsy that is not 10yrs old and graped by the Army will give 11kmpl in city driving conditions (Bangalore traffic). Now how bad is that compared to many other regular cars that give the same or even lesser economy?

--Ragul
Old 18th October 2011, 21:27   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Latest news
Scorpio 4x4 LX available now - 9.17L ex showroom Delhi
Thanks, Tanveer. This was the thread I was hunting for to post the info into. Had a repeat conversation with the Koncept sales executive of what we had here, only he was a little wiser this time and checked with the company - and I got the quote.
Old 18th October 2011, 22:06   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Get a new Gypsy @6.4lacs OTR and spend a lac or more on giving it a roof/body and rear sofa ...

--Ragul
Perfect sense mate, esp since petrol costs only 5rs a liter and gypsy gives 20kmpl on the highway
Old 18th October 2011, 22:26   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Latest news

Safari EX 4x4 also makes a comeback, though they have not got gone ahead and introduced LX 4x4. If they do so, it would cost less than 9L ex showroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Thanks, Tanveer. This was the thread I was hunting for to post the info into. Had a repeat conversation with the Koncept sales executive of what we had here, only he was a little wiser this time and checked with the company - and I got the quote.
Guys, still don't see it on the website, is this 100% reliable info?
Old 18th October 2011, 22:47   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
...is this 100% reliable info?
Is reliable info only available on company websites? The quote is mentioned, the dealer is mentioned, maybe you'd like to book one without depending on the M&M website?
Old 18th October 2011, 22:55   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Is reliable info only available on company websites? The quote is mentioned, the dealer is mentioned, maybe you'd like to book one without depending on the M&M website?
Not doubting your sources doc, just that my friend doesn't have the contacts sitting higher up in M&M. So depends on info available through official website and dealers - both of which seem to be in denial right now.

Anyway, will ask him to check with the delaer that provided you the quote. Thanks!
Old 18th October 2011, 23:06   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Anyway, will ask him to check with the delaer that provided you the quote. Thanks!
The dealer is Koncept Mahindra Safdarjang Enclave, and you can talk to a sales executive by the name of Deepak Sharma. He'll know who gave you the info!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 09:30   #86
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Perfect sense mate, esp since petrol costs only 5rs a liter and gypsy gives 20kmpl on the highway

Dear,

Which SUV gives more than 12-13kmpl? (see my post above about fuel economy of new Gypsy) Unless you are talking about diesel only options...

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 19th October 2011 at 09:32.
Old 19th October 2011, 10:50   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dear,

Which SUV gives more than 12-13kmpl? (see my post above about fuel economy of new Gypsy) Unless you are talking about diesel only options...

--Ragul
Of course I am talking diesel
If there was a Gypsy DDis with Power steering and A/C, i would buy it in a hearbeat
Old 19th October 2011, 11:52   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear,

--Ragul
My Gurkha comfortably does 12-13 + KMPL in City traffic with AC full time. Highways, should be way higher. But, this conversation is going a bit OT!

One thing, I have come to realize about the Utility aspect of 4x4 SUV's is that it hardly makes much sense to have a 4x4 unless you have it paired with a Good A/D Angle, Good GC and Very Good Tyres, to be able to handle difficult conditions.
I have found that in most situations that an average SUV faces, the 2WD (RWD) is sufficient to pull it through. It does depend a bit on driver skill, but then if the driver is unskilled/less skilled, then a 4x4 Tranny would be busted in a matter of months.
The only place, where a 4x4 SUV with average GC (and design characteristics) does come in handy is in Snow/Ice and Desert Conditions, but then to handle those conditions competently you should have a LSD at least. Also how many of us, drive in such conditions on a regular basis? But, from this perspective purely, Xenon was a fabulous vehicle, if not for it's few Design issues and Pricing.

So, given that most of the vehicles getting discussed on this thread, are suffering from certain design deficiencies (as above), that severely limit the potential to use a 4x4, except in very rare situations, what is the sense of giving 4x4 in too many variants? In my view it is perfectly sensible to have it in the highest end variants which give manufacturers good margins too. The 4x4 is used, probably, only for the tag. It is seen in this market as a sort of differentiator / a premium positioning. Here, it does make sense to fleece customers who want to differentiate themselves from the crowd.

Please mind that in my above note, I have in mind only regular 4WD vehicles. I am not commenting on AWD, and it's many variants. I fully appreciate the benefits they bring to the table for high speed driving, but that is not what a usual 4WD is used for!

Last edited by roy_libran : 19th October 2011 at 11:56. Reason: Grammatical errors.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 13:43   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

Please mind that in my above note, I have in mind only regular 4WD vehicles. I am not commenting on AWD, and it's many variants. I fully appreciate the benefits they bring to the table for high speed driving, but that is not what a usual 4WD is used for!
A lot of us do terrains which require 4WD, but angle of approach, departure etc., need not be very good.
Many people don't do those terrains, but we do, and up north there are lots of steep rocky tracks, where having a 4x4 with low ratio for crawling is a boon.
Old 19th October 2011, 14:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

Re: The XUV effect

Quote:
Latest news

Safari EX 4x4 also makes a comeback, though they have not got gone ahead and introduced LX 4x4. If they do so, it would cost less than 9L ex showroom.
Good news! Not only EX 4x4 but GX 4x4 (which was taken off the charts along with EX) is also back. Also, the Safari website is updated accordingly. All prices are ex-Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Why 4x4 only in top end variants of SUVs-safari.jpg  

Last edited by cool_dube : 19th October 2011 at 14:56.

Most Viewed