Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2010, 20:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Jeep Bride - Mahindra Willys Petrol CJ4A ( CJ3B sibling ) - Ground up restorat

MRF NDMS 6.00X16 cost me 2950 per tire a couple of months ago. Not sure if the prices have changed now. I can check if you want me to (Bangalore prices)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Just measure the rims of my jep with an inch tape. The current rims stand at 17 inches diameter while my gypsy rims are 16 inches.

What's the costing and availability of the 6.00 x 16 NDMS vis-a-vis 7.00 x 16 ? What are the other non conventional tyre suggestions ? can I for example put a FC truck rim+tyre ?
Old 29th December 2010, 21:32   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Jeep Bride - Mahindra Willys Petrol CJ4A ( CJ3B sibling ) - Ground up restorat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Jaggu,

Do you have any comparative pics of the two? a jeep with 6.00 x 16 and another with 7.00 x 16? Though I have heard many of them recommend the same. but MRF place from where I got mine, was very much against 7.00 x 16 saying it would hamper the driving/turning etc.
Nothing like that, only thing it will improve is the ground clearance. Its not readily available and that seems to be the only reason why a MRF dealer would give all this story.

Picture hmm old classified had pictures in a green CJ, BLR jeep.

Some of the other options, atleast the pics here

EDIT: This is a good choice for on road for a CJ http://www.birlatyre.com/product_det...category_id=37

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th December 2010 at 21:42.
Old 4th January 2011, 02:19   #48
BHPian

January first week update: A truckload of parts procured from Delhi

Hi Friends,
Restoration is rolling on and the body work is being done at present. Chassis and body separated and the body which is in a great shape already is being readied for painting. Chassis has been cleaned and mechanical overhauling of all the parts are being done.

It was fun driving the Jeep around without the body !!

Over the last 2 months I have started collecting bits and pieces of parts for the next phase of restoration which is giving the civilian cj4a a complete makeover into an army look. Although many on this forum including the venerable Arka and Behram sir have advised me to keep the civilian look, I want to see my Bride decked up in army gear. Its just one of my dreams , you know.

Jasvinder our team member from Delhi has been an excellent help in helping me find some of the rare old and original army fittings for the bride. Here is a list of 35kg of parts which Blue dart delivered me 2 days back. Special thanks to Jasvinder for help in procuring these parts :

Front Blackout Lights 2 Pcs
Fender Blackout Light 1 Pc
Front Lamp Guards

Body Grab Handles
Rhino Hooks
Jerry Can Holder
Shovel + Bracket
Axe Head
Round Mirror
Round Mirror Rod
Wireless Antenna
Reverse Lamp
Rear Blackout Lamp
Dash Map Reading Lamp
Rear Bumprettes

I am doing a complete makeover of this civilian Mahindra cj4a to give it a Willys militarised look. I am changing the front grill and the bonnet with ones which have the Willys stamping on it. Although some of the jeep gurus here may kill me for this sacrilege of changing the very character of this unique civilian Jeep, but again its my whim to have a jeep in my stable which says "Willys" . Another of my dreams. What do you guys have to say on this transformation? Would love to hear your views.

Something thats eluding me is a front grill which says "Jeep" or someone who can punch out "Jeep" in the original script on sheet metal. Request to the readers to help me find this part or help me find a metal man who can do the "Jeep" stamping on sheet metal for me.

I also need help in locating a brand new "blackout light switch"

I am also looking to acquire (for keep sake) a new carb, a distributor, an alternator, engine gasket kit, valves and other critical parts (for a future use if and whenever needed). Request readers to help me find these parts.

I also need inputs on what front bucket seats could I put in this Jeep if I want to replace the originals and how to mount them ?

Another question that I would like to throw to all you here is : What is your take on a LPG powered cj4a if I plan to use the jeep on extensively long runs ? Do I get this alteration done and have LPG power as a backup/mainstream for a future requirement. I know I am breaking a lot of grounds here but I need an honest answer and input on the use of this fuel in my jeep considering the escalating costs of Petrol. Where do I fit the LPG tank and how do I conceal it if I keep this option during the build ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Or if you get 7.00x16 NDMS nothing like it for this vehicle. But sandgrips am not sure how they will look in a CJ
I found a pic of sandgrips on a cj. here it is
My Jeep Bride - Mahindra Willys Petrol CJ4A ( CJ3B sibling ) - Ground up restoration-rafecasviasaarmyrear.jpg

I am again keen on having a tyre with a similar look on my Jeep. Since I am not going to use my vehicle much after the build and very rarely for any serious offroading ( only use it for ocassional weekend drives and ego satisfying spins around the city) , I am actually not thinking of spending a great deal on the tyres. I am thinking of procuring a set of 5 used MRF Sandgrips (with some life left) from somewhere and fit it on the Jeep.

I will need the help of members in locating 5 used Sandgrips with some life left. Request readers to help me with this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Yes, I was also thinking of asking the same for my CJ3B that I am currently doing up. Will sandgrips be too bulky for the little 3B? And what about the difference in ride and handling between 6.00x16 and 7.00x16? Which one would be better for the 3B/4A?
What will be the cost of the 7.00x16's and where can one source them from ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
MRF NDMS 6.00X16 cost me 2950 per tire a couple of months ago. Not sure if the prices have changed now. I can check if you want me to (Bangalore prices)
Thanks Shubz. Can you enquire about the current rate and availability and drop me a line on 09960332228 ? And also the availability and rates of 7.00x16's if available. Will be grateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nothing like that, only thing it will improve is the ground clearance. Its not readily available and that seems to be the only reason why a MRF dealer would give all this story.

Picture hmm old classified had pictures in a green CJ, BLR jeep.

Some of the other options, atleast the pics here

EDIT: This is a good choice for on road for a CJ Product Page
Thanks Jaggu for all the inputs. Its really great to have one of our moderators take such an active interest in this project.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 4th January 2011, 10:48   #49
BHPian

Hi Abheek. I am following your thread regularly. All the best for your restoration. I found this info (might have already been posted). I hope it is useful for you.
Attached Thumbnails
My Jeep Bride - Mahindra Willys Petrol CJ4A ( CJ3B sibling ) - Ground up restoration-cj4a.jpg  

Old 4th January 2011, 12:12   #50
Team-BHP Support

Re: January first week update: A truckload of parts procured from Delhi

Quote:
Another question that I would like to throw to all you here is : What is your take on a LPG powered cj4a if I plan to use the jeep on extensively long runs ?
Please do not do this! This is like jeep murder!

Quote:
I found a pic of sandgrips on a cj. here it is
I actually like the look. Good GC but sandgrips are also not the ideal for on road driving if you are planning not to do much of OTR's.
Old 4th January 2011, 14:01   #51
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu, I can understand the sentiment, but at least the intent to keep the hurricane is there. How about a toroidal tank below the driver/codriver seat and neatly camouflage it?

Some moral support to balance the taste of a hurricane and economy together?
Old 4th January 2011, 14:39   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Jaggu, I can understand the sentiment, but at least the intent to keep the hurricane is there. How about a toroidal tank below the driver/codriver seat and neatly camouflage it?

Some moral support to balance the taste of a hurricane and economy together?
Am worried about the heat eating the engine up from inside. This is an old school engine designed for leaded fuel. Effects of LPG can be bad on this is what i feel. If you tune the engine proper it will give minimum 10 kmpl on a highway, which according to me is quite reasonable.
Old 4th January 2011, 16:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, a valid point. I saw on that discovery turbo show (wheeler dealers) that a head can be modded from a lead'ed fuel to a non-lead'ed one.

LPG or not, wont running your lead-capable head on Unleaded fuel lead to a slow but sure engine damage? Are you aware of the issues? What are the work arounds? Octane-De-Booster ??

Edit-
GoogleGod gave me some answers. Very neat explanations

Quote:

http://www.ferriday.co.uk/unleaded/overview.shtml

OVERVIEW OF UNLEADED CONVERSION

PETROL

Unleaded fuel only contains a tiny amount of lead that occurs naturally during its manufacturing process (so to say lead-free is incorrect), whilst 4 Star fuel has quite large amounts of tetra-ethyl and tetra methyl lead added during its manufacture. Lead was added to petrol as early as 1923 because it was an easy way to raise the octane rating and help prevent detonation (or pinking). Its lubricant qualities were secondary as it was only discovered later that lead based deposits were protecting valve seats. Nowadays petrol is manufactured much more precisely and octane rating can be controlled in other ways.

THE PROBLEM

Most older engines were not designed to run on unleaded fuel, especially those with cast iron cylinder heads. Such heads will generally have a valve seat that is simply a machined part of the iron casting, so every time the hot exhaust valve closes it will try to micro-weld itself to the soft iron seat, eventually causing the seat to wear away. Once valve seat recession starts it rapidly progresses, compression and tappet clearances will reduce, with poor running, loss of power and increased fuel consumption being the results.

CONVERSION

Converting an older design of engine to run on unleaded fuel is generally straight forward and only involves fitting exhaust valve seats of the correct hardness. Once fitted, most engines will run perfectly on modern unleaded or super unleaded fuel. Specifications of exhaust valve material must be carefully checked though most valves are already made of sufficiently tough materials, but if not, correct grade valves can usually be found or made.

VARIATIONS

With aluminium cylinder heads the original steel valve seat inserts are sometimes already hard enough to cope without added lead, (although only careful (laboratory) examination will determine exact material specification). The vehicle manufacturer, however, sometimes states that unleaded fuel must not be used. If this is the case the owner must approach the manufacturer and ask the question -

Is my car unable to run on unleaded fuel -
a) Because the valve seat material is too soft?, or,
b) Because of the risk of pinking? (Bear in mind that super unleaded has a similar octane rating to 4 Star).
If neither pinking or valve seat material is the problem then try to pin the manufacturer down to another reason.
Of all the older engine designs that will need converting for use with unleaded, only a tiny percentage will cause problems.

CONCLUSION

Since January 1st 2000 4 Star fuel has only been available from a small amount of petrol station forecourts.
The car owner must confirm their engine's compatibility with unleaded fuel and take the appropriate action. When there is any doubt due to lack of positive information the only course to take is that of fitting the correct grade of valve seat inserts. We have now absorbed enough feedback to provide a "guesstimate" of Unleaded suitability, please contact us for an opinion on your cylinder head.
To soften the blow bear in mind that this conversion will also allow the owner to rectify any other cylinder head related problems.

1 more link

Last edited by svsantosh : 4th January 2011 at 16:22.
Old 4th January 2011, 16:49   #54
Team-BHP Support

The valve seats can wear of faster, that is the most vulnerable part with unleaded fuel. Replacing them with newer valve seats meant for un-leaded fuel is what you saw in wheeler dealer Same as what is being talked in the above Quote.
Old 4th January 2011, 20:45   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: January first week update: A truckload of parts procured from Delhi

Abheek ji - If I were you, I would not even think of LPG for a Jeep. 1) from the technical perspectives as mentioned by the gurus. 2) from safety perspective as well. I would believe the very purpose of restoration is lost if one is considering LPG conversion etc.

Another question that I would like to throw to all you here is : What is your take on a LPG powered cj4a

Thanks Shubz. Can you enquire about the current rate and availability and drop me a line on 09960332228 ? And also the availability and rates of 7.00x16's if available. Will be grateful.

When I checked with them last, they were willing to ship it even to Kolkata as UBS sir had asked me to enquire about the same. So they sure would be either ship it to your town or at least have some contacts for your locally. I will call them by tomorrow and check with them for the same. price, availability, ship to your town, the 7.00 x 16s NDMS

Can you please tell me how did you source the military accessories? I am in the need of the following ---

Fender Blackout Light 1 Pc
Wireless Antenna
Tailgate Hinges -- Priority

Would your contact send the stuff to Bangalore too?

Regards,
Shubz
Old 5th January 2011, 12:26   #56
BHPian

Michigan tyres have a 7.00x16 NDMS in 8 ply rating. The cost per tyre with tube and flap is 4790/-

Thr product ID is MJT 15

You can check with them, here are the details

MICHIGAN RUBBER (INDIA) LIMITED
VILL. SOHAGPUR, NEAR SAPNA DAM,
DIST. BETUL (M.P.)
PIN : 460004
INDIA

TEL. NO. : 07141-221256, 221278
FAX NO. : 07141-268235
EMAIL : michigantyre@hotmail.com
WEB : Rubber Tyre Flaps,Heavy Duty Nylon Tyres,Tyre Tubes Manufacturers,Suppliers
Old 6th January 2011, 23:55   #57
BHPian

The bridal makeup starts tomorrow

Dear All
I understand the futility of asking the lpg question. Will not even think about it now.

Thank you friends for your inputs with the question on tires. I will take some time and finalise between 6X16 NDMs and 6.5X16 MRF Sandgrips (I am more inclined towards the sandgripped look)

The bridal makeup is starting tomorrow and all the army fitments will go on the body before the final painting process. I am taking the help of the collective gyaan found on the various threads in this process.

Will keep everyone posted.

In the meanwhile please help me to procure 5 used sandgrips with about 40-50% life left. Help me with the procurement and pricing.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 7th January 2011, 00:01   #58
BHPian

Re: The bridal makeup starts tomorrow

Quote:
Dear All
I will take some time and finalise between 6X16 NDMs and 6.5X16 MRF Sandgrips (I am more inclined towards the sandgripped look)
Are Sandgrips available in 6.50X16 size as well? Or is it 7.50X16?
Old 10th May 2011, 13:23   #59
BHPian

Congratulations! All the very best for your new bride. Waiting for updates and pls post few pics.

Following your post regularly as I am ready to Aquire a jeeb if available.

Regards
Old 22nd May 2011, 17:42   #60
BHPian

The beginning of the end.......

The final coat of paint went on the body yesterday.

My Jeep Bride - Mahindra Willys Petrol CJ4A ( CJ3B sibling ) - Ground up restoration-21052011087.jpg

The electrician is fitting the preparing the wiring and will be fitting it tomorrow. The bridal makeup (accessory fitting) will go on the body next.

Its come a long way from acquisition 7 months back.
My Jeep Bride - Mahindra Willys Petrol CJ4A ( CJ3B sibling ) - Ground up restoration-img_9537.jpg

Will keep everybody posted as a lot of activity is expected over the next week.

Help me procure a set of used or brand new (with good life) 6.5X16 or 7.5X16 MRF Sandgrips. Also, what will be a good battery option for the bride ?

I have starting dreaming about Alfa Kilo Challenge and EXAMM

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks