Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 20:10   #1
BHPian

Story of building a trail capable Jeep

First Some confession.
I never understood the 4x4 world and why in the world people will throw their perfectly fine vehicles in mud, pond, slush and what not. If that’s not sufficient they push those poor things to climb on rocks, boulders and other monstrous obstacles. There should be AETA (on the lines of PETA) to bar people from such abominations
All this started changing when I browse few OTR sessions in pictorial form. Loved the story but still I stood on the fence being the hardcore member of AETA. That about to change soon.
One fine day my Ladakh ride buddy (Team bhp handle Couger) asked me to join on a quick trail to Rajmachi. Boy!!! I had some good time with the trails , small off roading to the lake near Rajmachi. For the first time I understood why people do those things, its fun!!!
Still I am not about to add one more vehicle to my garage just for this trail roundabouts. Thought someday I might . As you can see my attitude towards this was changing , I stopped attending AETA meets
In mean while started with another hobby. Free Flying, Paragliding near Kamshet with a school templepilots . As I was warned by my instructor got addicted soon. Completed my two levels of training and started flying solo. In mean time invested in my own glider kit and started dreaming about flying every weekends. But soon realized my current rides were highly incapable of rough trails as got underbody scrapped at multiple occasion. Now you see, got my reason for my own Jeep.
From here started the journey for acquiring reliable, trail capable if not extreme 4x4 vehicle

What’s coming..
Jeep vs Gypsy
Diesel vs Petrol
4x4 or not
Build grounds up or get done up

Last edited by aah78 : 14th October 2010 at 01:23. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Old 12th October 2010, 20:17   #2
BHPian

You too Rohit!Seems that you also fell to the league of madmen who love a mire over a highway. Congratulations! So what's it? Jeep or Gypsy?
Old 12th October 2010, 21:34   #3
BHPian

Choice narrowing down to..

Now I was looking have to get a vehicle capable of doing mild trails where I need to go to take off locations round the kamshet/pavna/mulshi backroads. In order to draw line , how much I am going to spend on this decided my transport should not cost more than my glider kit which costed me around 1.7L. At that price I should have extremely reliable, that will not die on me in middle of nowhere. I have great affinity to diesel engines for it’s tourque and turbo woosh. Having missed the earlier gen diesel s my experience started with very refined quails engine, followed by Scorpio Turbo and then finally Sonata Embera 148Bhp/310 NM beast. I pretty much have decided I will be going with diesels. Then started looking around for MMxxx vehicles. Soon realized that with my constrained budget I will not be able to find anything descent. Also soon I realized that I have been too spoiled with modern refinements like reasonably sleek gear shift, clutch that want ask herculean calf muscles, breaking does not involve praying to your favorite god. Japanese origin Gypsy which initially found two generations behind soon started looking like cutting edge. I started turning my head around for anything on road that looks like Jeep which never caught my eyes before. So decided.. Gypsy it is. Now looking at my budget MPFI Gypsy was distant dream also done up 413 was quoted around 1.5-2L+. I always added atleast 30K for making the vehicle roadworthy to my satisfaction. Since my travel pattern will be around 30Kms highway travel followed by 20+ trails I could do we lesser top speed, hence lowered my expectation.So finally started looking for even 410 and 410W.
Old 12th October 2010, 21:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good Build Up, Please narrate the remaining part of it quickly man. Curiosity Kills!
Old 12th October 2010, 22:36   #5
BHPian

Finally old lady reaches home..

Looking around found few 410 and 410W at various stages of completeness . Right from heavily modified suspension setups with painting and all done up for 1.8L to around good condition 410W at 1.3L. But in my mind I was never comfortable for something that’s been restored by someone, for which I would have no history and will have doubts in my mind.

Finally found one heavily used ancient (1991 20 years old) that’s been taken ride by who knows how many but with 6 official owners . Since I was planning to rebuild the engine , wasn’t over worried so long as reasonable body line and working 4x4. Found such piece in Alibag for 70K. This was run on LPG for 3 years by last owner. Engine was bit coarse but was running ok. Had non working AC setup with soft top. On test drive it was running ok though rattles from everywhere. Breaks were very good with booster installed. Steering was wobbling and sure needs work. Bodyline was on with rear tailgate hinge gone, driver footboard rusted and gone.
Here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00104201008080924.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00105201008080924.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00106201008080925.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00107201008080925.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00109201008080926.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00110201008080927.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00111201008080927.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00112201008080928.jpg  

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th October 2010 at 01:12. Reason: Removed tags
Old 13th October 2010, 03:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the world of 4*4. This is a expensive passion but worth it. No wonder 4*4 can also be $*$ (PS: Just found that out by mistake)

Nice vehicle. Usually seen bhpians build up army auction jeeps so gypsy will be new to me. Keenly watching it.

Please could you kindly write about your handglider passion? I was in 2nd std and one guy visited school and flew around in a hand glider with a motor(had an engine of a yezdi and he was seated) Neat and i was absorbed. SOmeday i will buy or build one such machine
Old 13th October 2010, 09:56   #7
BHPian

Congrats bro . Welcome to the world of 4x4 , You are gonna enjoy your experience of building your gypsy . Happy restoring . DO let us know what mods you have in mind . Remember the thirst of upgrading your gypsy to newer levels will not stop and it'l keep digging deep into your pocket
Old 13th October 2010, 11:01   #8
AVR
BHPian

One more bites the dust. We all start with budgets Rohit. Then we stop thinking about it. Its a bottomless pit but its so much fun jumping! Good luck 4wheeling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
This is a expensive passion but worth it. No wonder 4*4 can also be $*$ (PS: Just found that out by mistake)
Cruel joke of sorts eh?
Old 13th October 2010, 20:57   #9
BHPian

Down the rabbit hole..

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Now that old lady reached home we started taking closer look at her health. There was web of wires inside engine bay that needs to sort. Next to take out was LPG kit and AC to ensure that engine is first brought back to good health. Decided to open the car at my trusted/family friend guy to check the engine, change fluids, fix steering wobble, change rusted hinges etc. I expected least work in engine, may be piston rings as there was bit smoke only on start. If only I would have paid attention to all the well wishers on t-bhp explaining how bottomless pit this could be. What started as minor engine check turned into full blown engine job. With new piston rings, new valves, piston, connecting rods, bearings were prescribed. Take a look at the condition inside. [/FONT][/SIZE]
Attached Thumbnails
Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00113201008141312.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00114201008141313.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00116201008211233.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00117201008211233.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00118201008211234.jpg  

Old 14th October 2010, 00:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sorry dude. No offence.

Watchin keenly as the flashback mode is on. Hero is shot and wounded. Hospital has revealed more of Cat scan and Lab scan to be done.

Kudos on the buy. Gypsy is a fun vehicle
Old 19th October 2010, 11:50   #11
BHPian

Engine Ready, New ignition system

After a long delay, missed dates finally the engine was built and assembled. To my excitement the newly built engine was purring like a cat and silent and smooth. Still the starting was bit coughing. I had plans to get rid of rotating distributor, condenser and all the ignition parts susceptible to failure and may need adjustment. Contacted Kiran Bhide from eureka ignition systems for a new coil based ignition that’s completely waterproof and will ensure consistent engine firing. Kiran himself managed the installation with his team ensuring the quality of install. The result is just great, no more missed starting. Just half a crank and engine starts purring.
Also chopped the rear rollover bars to put flat roof soft top.
Attached Thumbnails
Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00119201008211253.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00144201009251539.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00145201009251539.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00146201009251539.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00147201009251541.jpg  

Story of building a trail capable Jeep-img00149201009251542.jpg  

Old 19th October 2010, 11:59   #12
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : One-liners that add ZERO value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. In fact, they are considered as SPAM. Please do not hit the post submit button unless you have something of value to add to the thread.

We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 20th October 2010 at 19:52.
deepaktpatil is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th October 2010, 13:03   #13
BHPian

Congrats on the Gypsy.
Is it the first stage of the restoration or still more to come?
The vehicle looks tilted to the right side (driver side). Probably you many need to get the leaf set re cambered.
How about some nice chunky AT tyres now?
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2010, 13:24   #14
BHPian

Rohit, where are you located in the city, please PM your contacts, would love to get together for the temple pilot stuff when you do it next, Thanks
Old 19th October 2010, 14:40   #15
BHPian

Paragliding

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Welcome to the world of 4*4. This is a expensive passion but worth it. No wonder 4*4 can also be $*$ (PS: Just found that out by mistake)

Nice vehicle. Usually seen bhpians build up army auction jeeps so gypsy will be new to me. Keenly watching it.

Please could you kindly write about your handglider passion? I was in 2nd std and one guy visited school and flew around in a hand glider with a motor(had an engine of a yezdi and he was seated) Neat and i was absorbed. SOmeday i will buy or build one such machine
Hi Maddy,
Please stop reading any further if you want to lead normal, sane life. I warned you!! If you are still reading then may god help you

Paragliding is a individual sports that's been matured in last 15 years. While it had it's origings in handgliding, it's far different that that. It's lot personal, portable and affordable. For Hand glidinger one would need a small truck to ferry your kite, frame etc. With Paraglidiner you simply walk with your kit weighing around 15 kgs on your back . You can also travel around the world with the same which you could not do with hang glider.
For more details visit my school website Paragliding India :: Temple Pilots
It's rund by ex airforce pilot Avi. He along with his passionate flying team runs this school near Kamshet. All you have to do is join on Tandom Flights on one of the weeksnds to get hooked on. Avi is running this school since I think 1998 and bosts very safe record in last 12+ years of running school. In addition to this school there ar two more schools in the same area being run very professionally.
You can catch my trainers having blast at
Videos Posted by Templepilots Paragliding: Templepilots - Connect, Fly & Celebrate | Facebook

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks