Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:29   #31
BHPian

Hi All
The wait is over, I shall now continue my story in flashback.
I have been working in the Advertising, Media & Entertainment Industry for the last 12 years. Since my childhood, I have been fascinated by Jeeps. Whenever I came across a Jeep I was enthralled by it and always dreamed of having one.

Later in my college days my fascination only grew further but I couldn’t own one yet due to lack of funds. After graduating I got my first overseas job with a good spay packet but then was too busy to own one.

“ So when I had the time I didn’t have the money, and when I had the money I didn’t have the time”.

When both these factors were favorable, I visited many garages, agents and found a MM classic model but my family refused and so finally I bought a luxury car. That day I made it clear to my family that the car was not for myself, I used to drive it only on weekends and ride my RE 350 (1981 Model) daily.

Still the thought of my dream car kept recurring in my mind, and I decided that I would give enough time to look for my favorite Jeep. Initially I found it difficult to understand how to buy a Jeep and get it customized, then my friend suggested I visit the Team-BHP site.

When I googled Team-Bhp, and browsed the site, I felt that it was a treasure trove for like minded auto enthusiasts. I got glued to the site the entire day and ignored my work and even eating.
Since that day I regularly visited the site and was soon addicted to it. My family and colleagues thought that I was getting too obsessive.

For more than 15 months I have spent 4-5 hours a day on the Team-BHP website and have garnered lots information. In between I was hooked to Harjeev’s thread and one more thread from a Bangalore guy (sorry, forgot his name) an Ex Army 550XD with all its mechanical and technical details with pics, I decided firmly to own an Army MM550XD only. (Previously I was thinking of buying a Cj3b or MM classic)

Last April after I finalized on buying a 550XD, I was trying to connect with all the T-BHPians but couldn’t because of the membership policy. I thought it would be a simple process but I guess it wasn’t.

To be continued -
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your acquisition sir.

Look forward to hear more of your story especially buying a jeep from MSTC auction, especially how MSTC got hold of an Army Jeep.

Cheers
Old 22nd October 2010, 23:29   #33
BHPian

To be continued -

I had gone through Thread Jeeps/Gypsy's: All through Army Auctions: What, When, Where, How?
and found that there is lot of trouble and pain to deal with scrape dealers to get Army auction vehicles. Therefore I decided to register with MSTC to get the vehicle directly from military auction and started MSTC paperwork procedure.

In the mean while I had gone through ex army MM550 in Bombay thread of Mr. David, who had just restored his MM550. I got his contact no. and called him and expressed my wish of having look of his Jeep. He is the first TBhp friend to whom I met personally and had look his beautiful Jeep. After this I grew impatient about owning MM550 as I fell in love with this machine.

Later, after few days I got the MSTC registration & I shared this good news with TB friends.
Luckily there was a forthcoming auction in Pune. So, David and our other friends decided to go to Pune for inspection of the vehicles.

There are lot of things to share about the inspection and all the related paperwork which one has to do there. But it will be too lengthy. Therefore I am concluding this here as there is too much stuff awaiting.

We come back from inspection and next day afternoon I started biding to try our luck. There was tough competition for Jeep, Bullets and Gypsy's also. While trying for Jeep and bullets, their price went so high which was out of our budget. But there was one gypsy which was in excellent condition as we inspected it and decided to buy it at any price. On that day the biding for this particular Gypsy lasts till 8 pm.

The humorous thing was the opponent against me was one scrap dealer, when his target price was crossed he was increasing his bid price by Rs. 1 every time and I was increasing it by Rs. 5000 so that he will run out.

And finally at one point he stopped his biding and I got opportunity but it was not confirmed as the auction was not finished yet.

On 10.30 pm auction ended, we were waiting impatiently and on 11.30 p.m. we got the good news of winning the bid of Gypsy.

After the final payment in 6 days, we went to take delivery of this beautiful vehicle.
Old 23rd October 2010, 00:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4army View Post
But there was one gypsy which was in excellent condition as we inspected it and decided to buy it at any price. On that day the biding for this particular Gypsy lasts till 8 pm.
we got the good news of winning the bid of Gypsy.
am i missing some thing here?

because in first post you showed 540/550 picture & in above post you are telling about gypsy.

BTW congrats on your buy & welcome on team-bhp.
Old 23rd October 2010, 07:09   #35
BHPian

This is first vehicle which I got directly from military dept through MSTC auction.

Off course Jeep story will be continued -

Cheers!!
Attached Thumbnails
Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-gypsy1.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-gypsy2.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2010, 09:47   #36
BHPian

Quote:
This is first vehicle which I got directly from military dept through MSTC auction.

Cheers!!
This is a as is gypsy . mpfi just washed and pics clicked, what a deal man wish i had bid for it

Sanjay baba next gypsy is for me
Old 23rd October 2010, 13:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

@Sanjay

WOW you surely have a really good knack for story telling. The Gypsy looks to be in a really neat condition. Do you minds sharing the price at which you won the bid for this MPFI gypsy.

BTW if you are getting one for David, I wouldn't mind having one for myself too. Thought I wouldn't bid in increments of Re.1
LOL
Old 24th October 2010, 20:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers!!
We took this vehicle to the garage, and while cleaning we found that one of the expensive part that is Petrol Gauge (which is fitted on the opening of petrol tank) was missing costing RS. 7k. We searched all automobile shop in town and found it which only one guy as we don’t have any choice, we bought it. After installing new battery vehicle started with in half an hour. There was no other work to do, so mechanic gave green signal and drove it to to Mumbai.
Attached Thumbnails
Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-photo0035_001.jpg  

Old 24th October 2010, 21:29   #39
BHPian

After receiving Gypsy,
I tried twice for the Jeep but couldn’t get it because of the shooting price. Third time there were less competitors and no. of vehicles in single lot were more so I had a chance to get it in my budget. I was also bidding the other single vehicles for my friends- means I was bidding for 3-4 vehicles at a time and a lot of two vehicles for myself.

When the auction closed I saw the final bid for all 3-4 vehicles & lot is of mine only. So I expected that I will get those. At the end of auction I got the message of receiving all 3-4 vehicles in a single lot as STA. (Subject to approval) and other lot in which there were two vehicles was rejected which I was bidding for myself.

STA is the process in which the price which is decided by them is touched and they keep hold over that vehicle and decide whether to give it or not. Its take three days to get the approval and there is a chance to get it, if you spoke to the insider.

I informed those guys for whom I tried the bid and told about the STA which can be managed and get those vehicles in lowest rate. But no one came.

At this point I learnt lot of lessons and decided not to help those until they have keen interest.

Out of 3-4 STA single vehicle I got approval for one vehicle without doing any efforts ( without talking to insider)

Actually this was a good chance to get the vehicles which were in good condition at lowest rates, but those guys missed this opportunity.

And the one guy who was interested initially in that vehicle which I was bidding for him only not responded when I called him. Previously he told me his budget and shown a lot of interest but when time came he totally reverted, I have to keep that vehicle and bear the burnt. I waited but there was no reply from his side till the time of delivery. So I paid the all payments.

For myself I was looking the vehicle whose engine is good and rest body is just ok as I want to modify it. But when I gone through the details of this received vehicle, which I noted at the time of inspection found that its model year is latest and condition of the body is excellent. There was no any dent scratches or other major deformity.

Before taking its delivery I once again informed personally to those who were interested and told them I want to sale it at original price in which I added only my travel allowance.
Same time I posted advertise on other auto forums and gave a chance to get the vehicle directly.

(This is the main reason I mentioned in this thread that I don’t want to publish pic as well as its price as I was planning to sale it.
I shared the pics and prize only with 4-5 persons from TBHP friends,
out of them only one guy posted it on his post without my consent.)

Attached Thumbnails
Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-01.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-02.jpg  

Attached Images

4x4army is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2010, 22:10   #40
BHPian

to be continued from last post -

But no one came to have a look of it and many of them kept asking me for its pictures and doing time pass.

Finally I have decided to takes its delivery, when I shown it to the mechanic, he said that there is less possibility of getting such vehicle having latest model year with excellent condition and suggested to keep it for myself.

Above pics are taken on the first day.

After installing new battery, clutch cable, clutch pedal and changed all four GL plugs, this vehicle started within 20 min. whroom! whroom!
Every present there was happy. We took the ride and checked its 4x4 wheel drive is working or not. To our surprise it was working nicely.

Cheers!!

Sanjay
Old 24th October 2010, 22:50   #41
BHPian

During this process of receiving the vehicle there was only one guy Chaitanya, who is my "brother-in-law' was with me. He helped me a lot while doing the inspection of vehicles, its paperwork, and at the time of delivery.

The following pics were taken while towing the vehicle from depot. ( pics from cell camera, please excuse)
Attached Thumbnails
Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-photo0045_001.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-photo0046_001.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-photo0047_001.jpg  

Old 24th October 2010, 22:55   #42
BHPian

Same day I left Pune all alone driving this machine as the mechanic said said, 'you will not have difficulty '! and given good wishes.

Then I started from Pune, and when I came to the Express highway, I was feeling like some special one because everyone was staring at me as vehicle was having camouflage colour and open roof.

On that day , climate was very pleasant, there was clear blue sky with beautiful view having hills and greenery everywhere.

When I passed Lonavala, I enjoyed showers and got little wet as Jeep was open.

This pic clicked near food plaza where I took halt for 10 minutes. I had wada-pav and tea and started journey towards Mumbai.
Attached Thumbnails
Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-photo0051_001.jpg  

Old 25th October 2010, 08:56   #43
BHPian

congrats friend , i too have been craving for the ex army for some time now , your experience would surely enlighten us
Old 25th October 2010, 11:14   #44
BHPian

After the gap of some days, I started work on its RTO registration. When I asked to various agents, they gave me different quotation out of them many doesn’t have any knowledge of Ex Army vehicle registration process.
But they never denied and everyone said yes, I will do! And those who were knowing it, quoted 4-5 times higher.

So I decided to get it done by myself and learn all the procedure.

Though I had all the required original papers, but had to face many problems and difficulties which concerned RTO officers were creating for favors. So I used my contacts and get the registration done by using same papers without doing any favors in one day.

While doing all this procedure right from MSTC registration, getting delivery of first vehicle up to RTO registration, I had gone through many bad as well as good experience which if I share, it will become too lengthy. If anyone is interested in knowing I will share him through personal message.

Those guys who have been interested in buying the Ex-Army vehicle and who can give enough time to inspect vehicle personally along with me should be present with me while bidding and also at the time of getting delivery of the vehicle.

Then only I can help without any hesitation.

I had seen that lots of guys have habit of making castle in the air. They only say that please inspect the vehicle for me, send the pictures etc. but this not a small deal on which I can take decision on the behalf of others.

Actually price of that vehicle is depend on you, after inspection of particular vehicle, it is your call that how much you want to pay for that vehicle. You have to decide your budget for that vehicle. While bidding it is your wish whether you want to increase your budget or want exit the bid.

Some time if there are lots of people bidding for same vehicle, price will go on higher side. (Example of my Gypsy) and some times if there are hardly few people are bidding you have a chance to get that vehicle at lowest rate. (example of my Jeep)

At the time of inspection, army department don't allow to carry camera, cell phone inside their premises, so there is no chance to get pics of vehicles.

So I am requesting to everyone that please go through each and every post of mine on this thread to avoid troubles, or doubts.

Cheers!!

Regards
Sanjay

Below are the pictures in detail which I clicked after I had taken its test drive on the muddy road. I will post its neat and clean pics later.

We took the vehicle on the jack to see whether there is any problem or not on chassis. These are the Pictures of lower body frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2515.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2514.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2513.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2509.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2499.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2498.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2497.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2494.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2493.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2487.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2477.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2478.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2479.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2480.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2481.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2485.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2486.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2487.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2488.jpg  

Ex Army MM 550 - "It's tough, but not impossible"-img_2489.jpg  

Last edited by Samurai : 25th October 2010 at 14:10. Reason: back-to-back posts
Old 25th October 2010, 15:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!!
Thats quite a story and from the looks of it you've got a really clean piece. Not to mention driving it from PUNE to Mumbai with the most basic of maintenance done is another feather in the cap.
CONGRATS again on the vehicle.
I understand that you cannot share the auction prices but after the auction please share the cost structure like the services, parts bought, registration etc

I am getting eager. When do we get to see the final product???

Last edited by harjeev : 25th October 2010 at 15:47.

Most Viewed